[PP-F3] Ooh, Fresh Meat! (Training Carambit)

(Alright, but make your health a more realistic amount. You don't regen full health in a minute, after all)

I turned to Carambit when he stated how I knew what I was doing. I gave him a thumbs up and a wide grin. "You know it! It's great when you ca-" But before I could finish, I heard a metallic shink as I felt something slide through my abdomen. I looked down at my torso to see a large, curved blade protruding from my flesh. I craned my head backwards to look into the eyes of an angry Killer Mantis. My vision tilted towards the recruit again.

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." I told him, my voice wavering a little while I felt my <<Battle Healing>> come into play. I sighed and looked back behind me again. "Aren't you just a little ray of sunshine? Care to join us for tea or something, you ugly bug?" I raised an eyebrow at my foe, clenching my fist as I planned my attack.

---

ID: 29494

BD: 4 = Failure

MD: 9 = Crit +1 (3 DMG)

CD: 12 = +1 HP

Grave: 31/33 HP

Carambit: ?/21 HP

Killer Mantis #1: 14/17 HP

Killer Mantis #2: 17/17 HP

Edited by Grave
Bumping for 150

Carambit 16/21 (Nat. Healing)

The brunet couldn't help but toss his head back and giggle snort. This guy just had the best sense of humor. Carambit couldn't have been paired with anyone better. However, he felt like he wasn't doing much good standing around. He watched as his idle hitpoint regeneration slowly bumped up his health bar, piece by piece. "Hmm... Maybe not just yet. I'll wait until my next opportune moment to jump back in and help out." he informed his team mate. He watched as the gigantic bugs encroached further onto Grave's territory and made themselves look more and more threatening. "I can't wait to cut one of them in half..." Carambit grinned.

((I'll jump back in on my next go. :D ))

"Cutting them in half doesn't tickle my fancy." I explained, before pushing down on the blade, forcing it back through its entrance. I quickly snapped around and latched onto the overbalanced limb and pulled it towards me.  I reared my fist back, and my gauntlet glowed a fiery orange, before snapping forwards, catching the bug in the torso and sending it skittering across the grass. I let out a heavy breath and chuckled, almost maniacally. That felt good. I shook my hands and turned back to Carambit and grinned.

"Punching them in half, on the other hand, does." I finished, before waiting for both the joke and the subtle pun to sink in. I was always interested in how people responded to my puns - most of the time it was 'ugh, really?', while people of culture tended to make a pun back. Was this boy a man of culture, I wondered?

---

ID: 29499

BD: 6 = Success (3 DMG)

MD: 3 = Failure

Carambit: ?/21 HP

Killer Mantis #1: 11/17 HP

Killer Mantis #2: 17/17 HP

Edited by Grave
Bumping for 150

[ID# 29502]
[BD=8] (Hit)
[MD=2] (Miss)

Carambit: 18/21
Killer Mantis: 14/17 (1 Dmg +1 Skill Dmg +1 enhancement Dmg)

"On the other hand?" he repeated "How dare you? How dare you make me hear a pun with my own ears!" he feigned anger but couldn't help but chuckle. Carambit readied his sword and ran in from an attack. It was safe to say the bug was not expecting him to come at it, not even paying any attention to him until after he was already in the air. Carambit leapt over the hind side of the bug and slashed across it's back with his sword. It writhed in pain and began to move swiftly away from him, it's legs almost having a seizure underneath the creature as it ran to get to a safer distance. "Yeah didn't like that, did ya?" Carambit turned his head back toward Grave "One each sound good?"

(Regarding the Mantis stabbing me, I decided to chuck something in the meme thread; http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/8484-the-sao-rpg-character-meme-thread/?do=findComment&comment=412808)

"Yeah, but I bet I'm gonna be done before you!" I teased, as I ducked around a crying slice through the air.  I continued to duck and weave past the razor-sharp blades, trying to find a weak point. However, said weak point didn't arrive fast enough. I copped a massive scythe blade across the jaw, and my head was jerked to one side. I raised my hand up and pressed two fingers to the gash in my jaw.

"Big mistake, man." I trash-talked, before dashing forwards, ducking under an idle limb and swinging around in a wide arc, delivering a bone-crunching punch to the bug's back. I was quick to back off from any immediate danger, just in time for <<Battle Healing>> to show up too. "You messed up my beautiful face, you prick. You are going to get it now, mark my words." I slammed a fist into into my open palm menacingly.

---

ID: 29503

BD: 7 = Success (3 DMG)

MD: 7 = Success (2 DMG)

CD: 11 = +1 HP

Grave: 30/33 HP

Carambit: 18/21 HP

Killer Mantis #1: 8/17 HP

Killer Mantis #2: 14/17 HP

Edited by Grave
Bumping for 150

((Bahahaha!! XD))
[ID# 29507]
[BD=6 (+1 ACC) =7] (Hit)
[MD=7 (-1 EVA) =6] (Hit)

Carambit: 16/21 (2 Dmg)
Killer Mantis: 11/17 (3 Dmg)

The mantis swung it's left scythe around toward Carambit. He impressed even himself by leaning back and dodging the blade smoothly. He charged up his sword skill attack and side stepped another swing by the mantis, which had now turned to face him, giving him all of it's attention. The two combatants swung at each other at the same time, cleaving a big gash out of each other's torsos. "Alright then, it's a race! Let's see who can be the best can of mortein out of the two of us!" The player called out, keeping his focus on the mantis. The gigantic bug screeched and reared it's claws up, shortly afterward bringing them down on Carambit. He leapt backward, away from the danger and leaving some distance between himself and his foe.

"I will be the chosen can!"I shouted back as I ducked under another horizontal slash, and a vertical one nearly tore my clothes in half. That wouldn't have been a good look. The scythe blade sunk into the earth, and I used it as a chance to make my move. I stepped onto the limb and pressed my weight down onto it, snapping it at what seemed to be the elbow. I followed up with a turning kick to the face, sending the bug spinning, and I finished with yet another uppercut, launching the Mantis onto its rear. It looked like a turtle trying to get off of its back. It also looked like it had just been run through a tesla coil; electricity was sparking from a multitude of joints on its body, and I gave a smirk at the creature's helplessness. <<Battle Healing>> also gave the attack its stamp of approval.

---

ID: 29508

BD: 10 = Crit +2 (5 DMG + paralyse)

MD: 2 = Failure

CD: 12 = +1 HP

Carambit: 16/21 HP

Killer Mantis #1: 3/17 HP + paralyse for one turn

Killer Mantis #2: 11/17 HP

[ID# 29650]
[BD=10] (YEAH BOI! Hit +2!)
[MD=2] (Get owned, son!)

Carambit: 16/21
Killer Mantis: 6/17 (1 Dmg + 1 Enhancement Dmg + 1 Weapon Skill dmg +2 Crit)

Carambit witnessed the hurt that Grave had put on his foe, bringing it down to a minuscule amount of hit points and paralyzing it. "Damn, I've gotta put everything into my next couple of attacks if I want to keep up!" He said as he slashed across toward the mantis. It reared back and attempted to bring it's scythes down on him once again, but this time he was watching it, predicting it's moves. As it swung down, he swung upward, slicing one of the claws clean off of it's arm, sending it exploding into shards of light. The mantis screamed out in pain and skittered backward to gain some distance between them. "Wow... I didn't know you could disarm them. That's cool!" he said, both shocked at his success and in need of a revenge pun.

(Took me a good two or three tries to get the pun XD)

I groaned as Carambit made a pun worse than my own. "Mentor... Is not... Amused..." I moaned out as I heard the Mantis shifting behind me. I looked over my shoulder and saw it trying to stand up on its rickety legs, but they were still dead as doornails. I really needed to put it out of its misery, but I couldn't lie - it was a little entertaining. I strolled over to the struggling insect and ambled over its large body, before sitting on top of the creature's chest. 

"You are not a very comfortable seat, I'm not going to lie. You're too hard and spiky." I looked back to Carambit and called out to him. "It's bugging me how long you're taking." I punned, my tone reduced to a low slur. I actually had to moan at my own pun this time. It was so incredibly bad, even by my standards. Was I getting rusty? 

---

ID: 25666

BD: 2 = Failure

Carambit: 16/21 HP

Killer Mantis #1: 3/17 HP

Killer Mantis #2: 6/17 HP

Edited by Grave
Bumping for 150

[ID# 29688]
[BD=2 (+1 ACC) =3] (Nah, son.)
[MD=9] ($Hit +1)

Carambit: 13/21
Killer Mantis: 6/17

"Bugging me, aww hell..." Carambit couldn't help but keel over forward from the sheer pain of Grave's retaliatory pun. "Oh god, why..." he murmured. Unfortunately his sense of humor got the better of him. He was distracted by the jokes long enough for the mantis to creep up closer on him and take a swing with it's remaining scythe. Carambit took a strike down the left side of his torso. "Hey! No fair I wasn't looking!" he slashed horizontally at the mantis to exact some revenge, but unfortunately the insect skittered back just in time to avoid his blade. "I tell you what, enemies like this would be an insectophobe's worst nightmare."

"Oh, goodness, I'm glad I'm not one, now!" I replied, feeling the Mantis begin to move more vigorously under my rear.  Before it had to use force, I leapt off and landed in a crouch, before spinning around to look up at the looming, green figure.  I stood up straight, and eyed off the blade that had begun to scream through the air towards me.  I side stepped the blow, the scythe lodging itself in the earth.  I took a step back and prepared my fist.  The plated gauntlet glowed a brilliant, flame orange. "Falcon..." I began to growl, before thrusting my fist forwards; I couldn't help but imagine a bird of prey riding my gauntlet. "PUNCH!!!"

The strike slammed into the Mantis's abdomen and sent a wave of energy through its body.  I stood still for a second or two in silence, my fist still placed upon its midsection.  The Mantis's body split in half and rocketed away in different directions, shattering before they even hit the ground.  I stood back up properly and rubbed my fist, looking back to Carambit, hoping to god he was watching that.

---

ID: 29742

BD: 10 = Crit +2 (5 DMG + Paralyse)

MD: 4 = Failure

Carambit: 13/21 HP

Killer Mantis #1: *DEAD*

Killer Mantis #2: 6/17 HP

LD: 9 = +1 Mantis Wing (Mat)

[ID# 29803]
[BD= 6 (+1 ACC) =7] (Hit)
[MD=10] (Hit +2)

Carambit: 9/21
Killer Mantis: 3/17

Carambit was almost as blown away as the two halves of the mantis were. "Nice!" he called out to Grave. Focusing his attention on this however left him wide open for an attack. The mantis he was fighting proved to be surprisingly resilient, and very persistent, considering it had already lost an arm. The giant bug charged at Carambit and burrowed it's other scythe into his shoulder. He let out a grunt of pain, before swinging his sword and chopping the monster across it's mid section. It pulled it's claw from Carambit and took a few steps back. He had to finish this quickly. If it kept chipping away at his health he'd have to wait forever before he could fight his next opponent.

I dropped down onto the grass and sat with my hands extended out behind me as I watched Carambit get his ass handed to him.  The light breeze teased my wild, silver hair. "You need some help over there?" I teased the recruit.  It felt nice to train someone so lively and active; I'd never been trusted with a position of leadership before, mainly because I abstained from taking up those positions, but it was a nice change.  Grand Officer... I have no idea why Mack trusted me, but I guess I have to live up to my position, I pondered, staring into space.  I soon snapped back to reality and looked around me, hoping to find something of use.  Alas, nothing caught my eye, and I turned my attention back to the battle at hand. Carambit had a lot of potential and I was proud to be his mentor.

---

ID: 30062

LD: 9 = Nadda

Edited by Grave
Bumping for 150

[ID# 31042]
[BD=5 (+1 ACC) =6] (Hit!)
[MD=1] (Haha! Suck it noob!)
[LD = 3] (aw...)

Carambit: 9/21
Killer Mantis: rekt/17

"Nah I got it!" Carambit said, not wanting to look weak in front of his instructor. The mantis came stampeding in once again, it's remaining scythe in the air. "Just need to wait for the right... Moment!" he grunted as he slashed across the mantis' chest. It's torso split in two, the entirety of it's being washing over with the color blue and exploding into shards of light. "Gotcha!" He said, sheathing his sword. "Alright," he started, brushing off his hands and turning back to Grave "There's another one down. How many more now?"

((Sorry for the late response. I had a whole heap of life stuff to deal with and get out the way with. All sorted now so I can be back into this! Woo! :P Thank you for your patience.))

(All good! Life always comes before RP, remember that. Also, we'll finish this thread using the old system)

I clapped as Carambit took down the Mantis, before a sadistic smile crossed my lips.  He asked what was next; I knew exactly what to finish the day with.  I swiped down in front of me with my right hand and began navigating through the menus and opened a duel request to Carambit.  Things were about to get exciting.  I set the duel to Half Health Mode, and proceeded to unequip my gauntlets. "This duel will classify as the third monster.  If you manage to hit me three times, you win.  However, if I manage to bring you down to half health or less before you do so, I win." I barked to him, waiting for our health to bump up.

A duel would be the best way for me to get to know the recruit. There's only so much one can glean from watching someone fight, but you can read the story behind every strike someone gives you.

---

Grave: 33/33 HP (Nat. Healing)

Edited by Grave
Bumping for 150

Carambit fell pale. He felt the blood drain from his face. "Well... Okay... I doubt I'll be much good against you though. You're way tougher than I am..." He leant against a tree beside him, waiting for his hit points to recover also. "Gonna need to wait a while before we start though. I'm kinda beat." he admitted. He had never really fought monsters as strong as that mantis before, and it had left something to be desired of his hit points. "So, you done this before with other recruits or am I the first one?" Carambit grew curious. There was nothing else to do while he waited to recharge, so why not get to know his new friend a bit more. "And I take it you and Mack go back a ways?"

"Rest as you wish." I offered the swordsman as I leaned against a tree myself.  It was going to be a bit of a douche move if I fought him at a point where I could possibly one-hit half health him.  When he asked me if I'd done the same with other recruits before, I chuckled. "Nope, you're my first apprentice." I admitted, and it was then that I realised I was nowhere near as nervous about training him as I was when I first started.

"We go some time back... Had to try and defuse a verbal ticking time bomb between our dear leader and a player by the name of Ko... Koum..." DAMNIT!  I still didn't feel right saying the name!  It felt so weird to say... "Well, another player, and we ended up doing a dungeon together with a host of other players.  After that I frequented Mack's shop, and he soon called me in for a meeting on the topic of the guild." I finished, letting it sink in, before asking a question myself. "What made you decide you wanted to join the ranks of the Blades?"

• 5 years later...