[SP-F1] The New Artisan! <<Earning a Living>> Complete

It has been a day since Yuma went out into the field to fight boars for the first time, so now he has decided to continue his adventure, but before he started attacking monsters galore, the old man realized that he would need items like armor, potions and other things in order to survive throughout the game. From talking to high-level players, he figured that the best way to the Col needed to buy these items was to get a profession which would allow him to sell items that he would craft for himself. After two hours of thinking it over in the room he rented at a nearby inn, Yuma decided that it would be best to pick artisan, since there didn't seem to be as much competition in that area as there was for the other professions. The best part was that making things in Sword Art Online was almost entirely automated, so the man didn't even need any experience in creating accessories. It was a win win for Yuma, so now he went around the starting city, searching for someone that would help him set up shop and get the materials needed to craft items.

Edited by Axel Rover

Yuma went into his menu and requested an NPC Artisan to help him out with the basics. He was currently at the Town Square, so as soon as the system sent an NPC out, they would immediately be transported to that location. It only took a few seconds for the Artisan to appear right in front of the old man, to his amazement. A system that can do something like that definitely peeked his interest, which also made him regret not learning how to code when he was younger. The NPC had on commoner clothing that you would usually see on low-level NPCs in other RPGs. He had short spiky red hair, and a huge smile on his face. Yuma smiled at the man too, though it was weird to him. This wasn't an actual person, which kind of creeped him out a bit.  

Edited by Axel Rover

"Hello Axel Rover!" the NPC greeted Yuma, using his username. He didn't want strangers knowing his real name, so that was the best one the old man could think of. That was the name he used in most games when he had to name a character anyway, so why wouldn't he use it? "As requested, I will be teaching you the basics of creating accessories as an Artisan! First, we need to find a vacant building that you could set up shop in. I recommend that you look for in this city, since starting a town on the outskirts would attract Player Killers, and that would put you in danger. Those guys can't be trusted after all," the NPC informed Yuma. He always thought about it, but never would he actually believe that there were people who actually killed others in the game. That would just be too crazy, because everyone needed everyone else to strive. Maybe it was just a bug in the NPC he thought. 

"While I appreciate your advice, Mr..." Yuma tried to reply, but didn't know the NPCs name. "Bob," he answered. "Uh, right. While I appreciate your advice, Bob, I enjoy looking at the grasslands, as it sooths me, and by setting up shop around that area, I could always just run out, kill a boar, and get the materials I need to craft items. So yea, let's go look for a settlement in the grasslands, please," Yuma replied with a smile, but Bob had a weary look on his face. "If you want to, I guess I can't stop you. Let's go then," Bob replied, with a smile re-forming on his face. It seemed as if he was programmed to always seem friendly to a player, no matter how much they disobeyed them. This is something Yuma didn't like. He truly wanted the argument to last, so that the NPC could tell him his actual opinion, and not just the system's suggestions. 

The two of them went through the city, going north until they got to the grasslands. After looking around for a few minutes, the duo finally spotted an empty building that was square and small, but big enough for him to stock a ton of items. It was wooden, and the inside already had a counter set up near the back wall. It was perfect in Yuma's opinion, and he wanted to start as soon as possible. There was no reason to wait around anyway. "Alright, let's do this thing! What is first?" Yuma asked Bob as they stood inside of the building right next to the door. "First I have to run you through the steps of maintaining a business and such, then we can go and get you the material needed to craft your first item!" Bob replied. The two looked each other right in the eyes and smiled. 

"Blah blah blah blah blah," is all Yuma heard as Bob went through the basics of running a shop. He learned by doing more than by lecture, and it was more fun that way as well. "Are you done yet? Let's go fight some boars now!" Yuma shouted in enthusiasm, though Bob had another weary look on his face. "Well, I don't think you listened to every single thing I said, but I suppose you can ask later on in your career as an Artisan if you get stuck. Let's go out to the field so you can get some materials. As soon as we get one we will come back right away though, so you won't get in over your head and die before you even have the chance to experience all of the other floors," Bob explained, but Yuma was out of the door before he finished his first sentence, which he didn't seem to notice since he was looking inside of the building while speaking. 

Edited by Axel Rover

Axel Rover: 8/8 HP; 1/2 SP

Boar: 4/4 HP

----------------------------

Yuma immediately spotted a boar upon leaving his building. It was just walking around peacefully, a dozen feet away from the building, but that would change. It was an enemy created by the system that was meant to be destroyed by players after all, so no matter how peaceful it seemed, it still had to be defeated by Yuma if he wanted some loot. Yuma didn't really think about stuff like that as he got his Battle Axe out of his inventory and raised it in the air, attempting to chop down the boar. It saw him just in time and dodged the attack by jumping to the left, then tried to stab Yuma with his tusk, jumping up towards his chest, but the old man jumped backwards to avoid it. 

ID# 36003

BD: 5 (Miss)

MD: 5 (Miss)

Edited by Axel Rover

Axel Rover: 8/8 HP; 0/2 SP

Boar: 0/4 HP [- 2 DMG * 2x1 (Whirlwind Sword Art) = 4 DMG] 

As the boar landed from it's attempt at stabbing Yuma, it jumped up again, trying to stab the man in the face, but Yuma leaned a foot backwards, causing the boar to keep going and land behind him. He wasn't going to let the monster get another chance though, because with his axe, Yuma swung to his right, sweeping around him until his body turned and striked the side of the boar. If the first hit wasn't enough, that sweep sent forth a shockwave that also hit the boar. The two attacks combined caused the enemy to get hurled back dozens of feet, pieces of itself going everywhere as he faded into existence. "Yes! One shot! I didn't even know I had that skill!" Yuma shouted in excitement. The boar dropped one material upon it's destruction.

ID# 36016

BD: 7 (Hit)

MD: 4 (Miss)

LD: 10 (No Loot)

Edited by Axel Rover

"Good job Axel! Now we can go back to the shop and craft your very first item. Don't get too excited, since a crafted item doesn't always come out as good as you want it to be," Bob informed Yuma, coming from the building behind him. Yuma looked at him, nodded and then ran towards the house with the material in his hand, happy that he got it in the first place. Even if it was a bad item, he will still be able to craft one, which came from hard work by beating down a monster that could have killed him if it was lucky enough. Once the two of them got inside of the building, closing the door behind them, Yuma put the white bar of material on the table and it turned into various beads and all of the other things that one would use to make things like a necklace and rings. 

Yuma was upset that the very first item he ever created came out bad, but the good thing was that there was a whole day ahead of him, so he still had the chance to get a good item that he could actually put up for sale. "I would like to try hunting for more material. I can't settle for bad items if I want to strive in this game," Yuma told Bob before running back into the field, having opened the door in so much of a rush that it banged against the front of the building, the force of it making the door swing back, closing it. Bob would have said that he should do whatever he felt was best for him, but since the player left so fast, he just sighed and sat on the chair that was behind the counter, waiting for the old man's return instead of going back with him this time.

ID# 36020

CD: 7 (Bad Item)

Edited by Axel Rover

Axel Rover: 3/8 HP [- 3 DMG - 2 Crtical DMG = 5 DMG]; 0/2 SP

Yuma had to go further out than he did last time to find a boar since he made it evident that any one of them that came near his new workplace would be destroyed. Even monsters programmed mainly to kill players knew not to mess with some of them if they wanted to keep killing other players. Yuma wasn't going to let them just ignored him however, so the old man charged forward several meters until he spotted one eating the grass. The boar noticed the male coming towards him, so he decided to charge as well. Yuma swung his axe at the boar's head, but the enemy jumped above the slash and stabbed him right in the face, forcing him to pull back as the boar landed back on the ground. The beast charged again, but Yuma did a sweeping attack that hit the boar as he jumped, also causing a shock wave that hit him after the initial attack did, destroying him. 

ID# 36022

BD: 6 (Hit)

MD: 10 (Critical Hit +2 DMG)

LD: 13 (20 Col)

Edited by Axel Rover

Yuma rushed back to the building with the white bar of material in his hand, panting heavily, but happy that he was able to get another one. His health was in the red, but that didn't matter much since players recovered health overtime as long as they weren't in battle. "Alright! Let's do this thing again Bob! I won't stop until I get a good item!" Yuma shouted with excitement as he walked towards the counter that Bob sat behind. Both of them had a smile on their faces, wondering what would come from Yuma's latest attempt. He put the white material bar on the counter and watched it form into the materials he needed.

Edited by Axel Rover

Again Yuma's attempt to craft a good item failed, but he wasn't just going to give up there. Third time's the charm as he liked to say, after all. Without even dwelling on the failure, the large man ran out of the building again, leaving Bob behind the counter just like last time, but he didn't mind at all. NPCs didn't get bored or anything like that, so he would wait until the end of time if that is when Yuma came back. Since the door was left open this time, the spiky-haired NPC could see Yuma charging at one of the boars. 

ID# 36111

CD: 4 (Bad Item)

Edited by Axel Rover

Axel Rover: 6/8 HP [- 3 DMG = 3 DMG]; 0/2 SP

The typical battle ensued between Yuma and the boar. The enemy was able to stab the old man in his left leg, but Yuma was able to get the jump on him by swiping his axe down as soon as the boar landed, destroying it with the same sword art that he spammed to make battles faster. He wasn't on the field to enjoy himself since there was work that needed to be done. He was getting pretty annoyed at how the two items he crafted ended up being a pile of junk. A few more times and he probably would just give up, regardless of his words to Bob. 

ID# 36130

BD: 7 (Hit)

MD: 7 (Hit)

LD: 13 (20 Col) 

Edited by Axel Rover

"Alright Bob, let's do this again!" Yuma smiled as he went into the building once again, putting the white bar of material on the counter. Behind his smiled was an annoyed expression however. He had to rush fights that he would rather enjoy in order to get material, and the fact that it would be like this most of the time, scrambling to get enough material so that he could sell items made him ponder about this whole decision. Regardless, he would keep going, because no matter how much something bothers you, you must do it, in his opinion. 

"Before I start crafting however, I need a moment to pray. If this turns out to be a bad item I will have someone to blame then, heh," Yuma told Bob before he began to kneel on both of his knees and clench both of his hands together as if he clapped once and then stopped. Yuma was a very religious man who believed in god. After this whole video game predicament, he has had his doubts since it was weird that someone with unlimited power would allow people to suffer like this, but he still hoped that there was one that could maybe make up for it by housing the souls of the dead. After the old man was finished praying, he stood up and began crafting using the materials that formed from the white bar that was just there a second ago. 

Edited by Axel Rover

Three times in a row, Yuma failed to craft a good item, which greatly decreased his motivation for making a shop, making him think that maybe he could stay alive by loot hunting rather than having to deal with making things for other people. Then again, just hunting wouldn't be enough to get all of the equipment he needed, Axel thought. Reluctantly, he left the building again to go fight yet another boar, obtain another material bar, and probably fail for the fourth time. Maybe he was going to pass this time though. The old man would never know unless he tried.

ID# 36253

CD: 2 (Bad Item)

Edited by Axel Rover

Axel Rover: 8/8 HP; 1/2 SP

Boar: 4/4 HP

The large man took a strike at the boar with his axe to no avail, and in turn the boar attempting to hit Yuma, but to no avail as well. Yuma knew that he could have gotten a hit in if he wasn't so worried about never getting good craft results. His mind was too focused on the negatives happening in the game to get anything positive out of it. After almost getting hit by the boar however, the old man snapped out of it and got serious. He wasn't about to let some floor 1 enemy kill him. That would be too embarrassing. 

ID# 36284

BD: 1 (Miss)

MD: 4 (Miss)

Edited by Axel Rover

Axel Rover: 8/8 HP; 0/2 SP

Yuma was able to get a one-hit kill on the bar after getting serious again. After having beaten so many of these things, it was only natural for him to just be able to take one out in a single strike. Once you knew how to do it, there was nothing the enemies could do to stop their inevitable fate. After picking up the white bar of material, Yuma dashed back to the building and put it on the counter. Bob had a smile on his face, and so did Yuma. Both of them were feeling good about what would happen this time. After so many fails, the old man just had to know how to do it this time around. 

ID# 36327

BD: 8 (Hit)

MD: 4 (Miss)

LD: 2 (No Loot)

Edited by Axel Rover

"Finally! I did it Bob, I really did it!" Yuma shouted as he felt the pure happiness that surged through his body due to the item that he created, which took the form of a small clay axe key chain. Since this was his first successful item ever, he would most likely keep it, placing it on his belt so that he could use it immediately.  "Fantastic! See, I knew that if you just kept going you would be a great artisan! This is just the beginning, so be prepared to start making items for other customers as well. There are also items many levels above the one you just crafted, so your other creations could be much better!" Bob informed the old man. 

CD: 11 (Rare Item, but this quest only gives a vanity item, so, vanity) 

Edited by Axel Rover