SP - F13 Shards of the Past (Grandmastering Achilles Thread) Completed

ID: 85779
Battle Dice: 4 (Accuracy +3 / Evasion +3) = 4
Miss Occurred (2 Energy Lost / 1 Recovered / 39 Remaining)

As the Stun effect wore off of the creature it slowly struggled to its feet, the helm on its head area shaking left and right due to its highly deformed shape. It almost appeared like there wasn't much keeping the helmet from tumbling right off. Grasping the massive sword with one hand once again it took a few steps forward, aiming swing downwards to cleave into Calrex again, aiming to drain some of his life to replenish its own.

However, its attack fell to the side, slamming into the ground with a soft thud. Meanwhile the bluenette remained completely unmoved, his right fist already clenched in preparation go execute his most powerful <<Martial Arts>> Sword Art once again.

The AI of the shade still continued to make its calculations, trying to compensate for the previous miss in preparation for its next attack. However, since retreat was not something it could think of, its algorithms were shifting towards a single conclusion: That this battle was pretty much decided. No matter what amount of skill it had copied from the former bearer of the Berserker skill's avatar build, comparatively there was too large a gap in the amount of skill points invested. The player it was fighting against was close to double in level, plus he possessed a damage dampening unique skill. If the tier level of equipment respective to the blunette's level was unlocked, this battle would have been decided many rotations ago.

But, as stated before, there was no retreat option. It was fight or die for the shade, and until the final blow had been struck, it would continue to do so.

Calrex: 1357/1640 | EN: 72/164 

Berserker's Shade: 389/960 | EN: 39/96 (75 Battle Healing)

ID: 85780
Battle Dice: 6 (Accuracy +4) = 10
Sword Art <<All Might>> Activated (17 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 56 Remaining)

As the shade's strike sailed to the side of him Calrex didn't give a single moment of hesitation. Not a second to calmly breath, or sigh with disappointment. Right as his body recognized he was out of harms way he instinctively moved forward, his right fist already trained on the extremely crumpled area of the hydra-shaped helmet. Slamming his punch dead center once again the metal was pulled inwards towards the impact point even further, pulling the opposite side of the helmet inwards almost like paper being folded on itself.

"If you're going so far as to imitate the man that used that build before you, at least show some of the tenacity he did. I guess an AI can only do much. No matter how much data you gather from the remnants of his avatar, you'll be nothing more than a hollow shell. Ssendom's gone, and there's nothing that can be done to bring him, Zel, Azide, or any of the others I've seen die in this game back. Whatever accomplishments or accolades they've gained, it's all been reduced to a crossed out name on the Monument of Life. Contact fact of life: Whatever you accomplish, it will be forgotten to time after you've died. You're better off alive and working towards a higher goal, than dead clinging to your delusional beliefs, charitable, malicious, martyr-like, or otherwise."

Swinging his right arm to his side the last bits of light from his Sword Art flicked off, vanishing like the embers of a flame in the wind. All the while the Ultramarine Knight's bright sapphire eyes remained fixed forward. Lowering to his hip he raised up two fingers on his left hand, "You've got two more blows to try and turn this around. Better score a hit, or else you're dead, got it?"

Calrex: 1359/1640 | EN: 56/164 (28 Thorns / 30 Battle Healing)

Berserker's Shade: 194/960 | EN: 39/96 (15 DMG * 15 Art - 30 MIT = 195 DMG)

ID: 85781
Battle Dice: 1 (Accuracy +3 / Evasion +3) = 1
Miss Occurred (2 Energy Lost / 1 Recovered / 38 Remaining)

After being struck once again the shade stumbled back, its upper half almost bending over like it was going to fold in half in the opposite direction. Compared to when the fight first started, it appeared to be barely staying in the fight. The energy reserves for its attacks were running extremely low, potentially only having enough for at most two full-power strikes. As Calrex gave his ultimatum, a quick calculation from its AI came to the same conclusion. With the bluenette's past blows, it could tell that the punches which crumpled its helm was his most powerful strike.

However, the advantage that Calrex had over the shade was the fact the build it was based on had absolutely no evasiveness, while the bluenette had both speed and accuracy. This inevitably resulted in more hits being dealt to the shade than to the player. Add to that the level and mitigation gap, even the simulated Berserker's life stealing ability couldn't keep up.

Another attempted strike followed, but this time it was ever farther off the mark than the creature's previous attempt, even partially embedding the blade tip into the ground that it nearly made the shade fall over trying to extract it. As it pulled, the tip popped out of the dirt with excessive force, pulling its arms upwards further than intended. Right when this happened the AI locked onto Calrex about to strike.

Calrex: 1359/1640 | EN: 56/164

Berserker's Shade: 269/960 | EN: 38/96 (75 Battle Healing)

ID: 85782
Battle Dice: 7 (Accuracy +4) = 11
Sword Art <<All Might>> Activated (17 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 40 Remaining)

Right as his opponent's attack failed to connect, even going so far as to trip up its assault Calrex was already on the attack, closing the distance with his right fist aglow with bright blue light that seemed to lightly illuminate the surroundings. His <<All Might>> strike connected clean once again, crumpling the hydra-shaped helm further. Now it wasn't possible to tell what the helmet's original form was, as parts of it were now struck hard enough that no definition between an edge and a damage fold could be determined from a glance. At this point it was closer to looking like a clam shell than protective headgear.

"I should probably apologize about the face, but it doesn't really matter does it? You've got one more shot. Think you can follow through this time? I'm getting tired of these empty attempts at an attack."

Slamming his fists together the bluenette gave a small sigh, his bright sapphire eyes still not blinking even once from his opponent's form. His right hand smoothly opened and clenched, remaining so as he prepared to activate <<All Might>> once again.

"Better act, or this ends. Berserker pretender or not, I'll give the final verdict of this confrontation."

Calrex: 1361/1640 | EN: 40/164 (28 Thorns / 30 Battle Healing)

Berserker's Shade: 74/960 | EN: 38/96 (15 DNG * 15 Art - 30 MIT = 195 DMG)

ID: 85783
Battle Dice: 7 (Accuracy +3 / Evasion -3) = 7
Sword Art <<Tempest>> Used (19 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 19 Remaining)

As if actually provoked by Calrex's words, the shade leapt forward with its sword at the ready. This was in actuality due to the fact its AI had finally found an opening in the bluenette's defenses, if only for a moment. The pommel of its fragmented greatsword shined with dark grayish energy as it activated <<Tempest>>, the rounded end connecting dead on with the player's forehead, breaking his stance and sending him into a sitting position on the ground. The Stun effect marker appeared next to his name as the creature took a moment to regain its stance.

Even in his Stunned state, the monster could still see Calrex's eyes looking defiantly at it. No matter what damage it had inflicted, or health it had healed up from as a result of its lifesteal and <<Battle Healing>> activating. It could understand that the battle was at this point decided. In fact it may have been determined before the bluenette gave his ultimatum, maybe before the battle even started.

Raising its sword upwards the shade began to ready its next attack, aiming to fight with everything it had, or at least as much as a machine could possibly do.

Calrex: 1297/1640 | EN: 40/164 (13+4 DMG * 8 Art - 30 MIT * .4 Achilles = 64 DMG / Stunned Until Next Turn)

Berserker's Shade: 162/960 | EN: 19/96 (75 Battle Healing / 13 Berserker)

No Action Taken (1 Energy Recovered / 41 Remaining)

Feeling his body hit the ground Calrex's gaze watched uninterrupted as he slumped, sitting down on the ground while stunned from the shade's attack. It was a position he was in only a few moments ago, but it didn't seem to shake him a single bit, "Guess I neglected to remember the my stun immunity had run out. I applaud you for taking advantage of that. Well, you've got a clean shot now, don't you?"

While he was unable to move, the bluenette had the urge to cross his arms and wait, as if impatiently, for the next attack he knew would come. It was a predictable and reliable strategy employed by himself and countless others: Using a weaker attack that would guarantee their next attack had a higher chance of landing, and as a result maximize the chance for damage. However, thinking back to the first time Sword Arts were discovered to be useable, Calrex had realized that the strategy wasn't inherently useless in the long run. No matter what attack missed, a set amount of energy was lost. It wasn't like one was going to lose more energy as a result of missing with a strong Sword Art over another. There was no need to be energy-conscious, and most people would be better off attempting their most powerful attack with every chance they got than being strategic about their offensive tactics.

"You just bought yourself another attack's worth of health. However unless you can stun me endlessly, this battle is decided. I can miss a few times and still have enough energy to end this." 

Calrex: 1327/1640 | EN: 41/164 (30 Battle Healing)

Berserker's Shade: 162/960 | EN: 19/96

ID: 85785
Battle Dice: 8 (Accuracy +3 / Evasion Negated) = 11
Sword Art <<Galaxy Destroyer>> Activated (13 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 7 Remaining)

Right as Calrex had suspected, the followup attack to the shade's Stun was its most powerful Sword Art <<Galaxy Destroyer>>. the powerful cleave cut deep into the bluenette's avatar, leaving the large orange slash across his abdomen, small crystals escaping the wound as iconic of the game's aesthetic. The blow was a clean it, and it helped to restore more of the creature's health.

However, at the same time the inevitable had occurred. Both combatants knew that the shade had just used up the last chunk of its energy that sufficient for Rank 5 Sword Arts. Now being at such a low level of energy meant that its best attacks would be insignificant, and whatever health it managed to steal would be dwarfed by the damage the bluenette could still put out.

As the creature pulled its sword arm back, still tightly gripping the hilt as if ready to fight, it seemed a lot like the last stand of the Norse warrior the unique skill was named after. The hallucinogenic effect of the mushroom brew the Berserker drank wearing off, armor soaked from his and other fighters' blood, Dane axe structurally compromised from striking and deflecting attackers. This NPC was on its last legs, and it wasn't even attempting to hide it.

Calrex: 1212/1640 | EN: 41/164 (13+4 DMG * 13 Art - 30 MIT * .4 Achilles = 115 DMG / Stun End)

Berserker's Shade: 260/960 | EN: 7/96 (75 Battle Healing / 23 Berserker)

ID: 85788
Battle Dice: 5 ( Accuracy +4) = 9
Sword Art <<All Might>> (17 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 25 Remaining)

As he saw the Stun marker starting to fade from his health bar Calrex gave a small sigh, calmly getting to his feet, his right fist clenched as it began to glow with the light of <<All Might>>. Feeling it reach maximum power the bluenette walked up to the shade, not even choosing to assume a stance before driving his fist into the same "cheek," or what was originally the cheek area of the helm. Now the folded helmet's clam-like shape seemed closer to a closed position as a result the blow. Deep inside the cavity now created from the repetitive strikes, Calrex's gauntlet imprint could be partially seen as well.

"Good to see there was some fight in you to the end. I'd prefer that my opponents gave it their all to the battle's conclusion, no matter how hopeless the situation. It's pathetic to see a person bend over and take it when they realize their fighting an unmatched battle...heh, I'm sure someone would say the same about me in certain situations. But like I said, maybe I've finally found my grounding, my viewpoint that I will fight for with everything I have."

Calrex: 1214/1640 | EN: 25/164 (28 Thorns / 30 Battle Healing)

Berserker's Shade: 65/960 | EN: 7/96 (15 DMG * 15 Art - 30 MIT = 195 DMG)

ID: 85790
Battle Dice: 10 (Accuracy +3 / Evasion +3) = 10 (+2 Damage)
Sword Art <<Astral Hell>> Activated (7 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 1 Remaining)

With its current energy levels, the shade was down its Rank 5 Sword Arts, limiting the potential damage output it could unleash on Calrex. Plus with the bluenette now out of Stun and inflicting another large chunk of damage on it, the AI couldn't only resort to one final attack. It knew that the battle was potentially over with the player's next strike, and its success was pretty much guaranteed. There was always the chance it could survive, but right now that chance was bleak.

Giving a powerful roar the unleashed a very familiar attack to the bluenette. Three rapid slashes cut across his frame before being finished with four strong, precise thrusts with the tip of the blade, shoving the Ultramarine Knight backwards. It was <<Astral Hell>>, one of the most used and called attacked that Calrex could recall when he fought alongside and against Ssendom. 

Calrex: 1169/1640 | EN: 25/164 (13+2 DMG * 7 Art - 30 MIT * .4 Achilles = 45 DMG)

Berserker's Shade: 149/960 | EN: 1/96 (75 Battle Healing / 9 Berserker)

ID: 85791
Battle Dice: 9 (Accuracy +4) = 13 (+1 Damage)
Sword Art <<All Might>> Activated (17 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 9 Remaining)

With the shade's final attack complete Calrex gave a small sigh, lowering his head for a moment so that his face was hidden by his dark blue bangs. A small laugh escaped his lips before he looked forward. The sharp gaze he had originally given the shade for most of the battle had softened, returning back to his calm demeanor. His irises had shrunk in relation to his pupils expanding, the bright sapphire being darkened back to his usual dark blue hue. It was as if whatever had hardened his mind and senses previously had vanished, if for a brief moment.

"A fitting way to go, even if it isn't exactly you. I didn't get a chance to say it before, but I did value the short period of time working with you Dom. Your life may have been cut short, but I hope that wherever you are now you're at peace. Now let me send you off properly."

Closing his eyes for a moment Calrex felt the focus of Fudoshin surround him again. He brought his right hand over his chest, still riddled with numerous cuts from the encounter. The bright blue glow of <<All Might>> engulfed his hand as it clenched into a fist, slowly drawing it back.

As if understanding what was to happen next, the shade seemed to straighten up, planting the greatsword into the ground next to it before lowering its arms to its sides. The AI could tell this was the end of this creature's lifecycle, and that it would be integrated back into the Cardinal system moment afterwards with the recorded battle and mental data from the encounter. It had accepted its fate.

With a final exhale before launching forward Calrex gave a battle cry while throwing his fist forward, "ALL MIGHT!"

The final punch connected with what remained of the helm, shattering it. Since there was no head beneath, what remained of the shade's constructed avatar was a headless body of armor, which dropped to is knees before falling forward, bursting into crystals as the bluenette maintained his ending stance for a moment.

A few seconds passed before he returned back to center, a breath escaping his mouth while he brought his hands to the side, letting Fudoshin leave his mind with his noto. Looking back for a moment at where the shade was last standing from the corner of his vsion, seeing a rusted greatsword now planted in the ground almost like a gravestone. Looking forward contemplatively for a moment Calrex closed his eyes, a small smile coming across his lips as he made his way towards the edge of the battlefield, "For all I know this may not be the last time. I can only hope so."

Calrex: 1171/1640 | EN: 25/164 (28 Thorns / 30 Battle Healing))

Berserker's Shade: 0/960 | EN: 1/96 (15+1 DMG * 15 Art - 30 Mit = 210)

Topic Complete

• 1 Page Completed (1 SP / 400 col)
  • Achilles Grandmastered