[SP-F6]Gemini - Quest

OOC: Locked Stats in Spoiler

Spoiler

Mutsu

Level 3 | HP: 60 | EN: 6 | MIT: 18 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 1

Gemini

HP: 30 | MIT: 5 | DMG: 15 | ACC: 1

Mutsu popped out of the teleporter in the middle of the town of Krycim. Almost immediately, she felt as if she were sweating. Even though that was, technically speaking, impossible. Or, at least, she was relatively certain that the programmers had not done such a good job of programming that the avatars could sweat. "I guess I'll find out in a few minutes," she muttered to herself. The brunette had been flicking through her quest menu and options when one had caught her eye. Even though it was on the sixth floor. It was a quest that included some nice rewards in terms of experience points and, even better, it included a free bonus skill of the player's choice if and when they successfully completed it. According to the Information Brokers, the quest involved accepting a challenge and fighting a non-player character as a sort of Tutorial on how the player versus player combat system worked. At least that would be guaranteed to be more fun than the other tutorial quests had been. This one would definitely have combat and, clearly, if the information was good, a reward that would probably be worth more than the rewards for the other tutorial quests combined.

As she stood in the town of Krycim, out of the path of people stepping down from the teleportation portal in the Portal Plaza, Mutsu swiped a finger in midair and pulled up her player menu. Now that she was on the right floor, it should be a relatively simple matter to go ahead and activate the quest. Or, at least, she assumed that the reason why she had not been able to choose the quest earlier and set it to active was because she had not been on the right floor. Sure enough, when she tapped the "Set Active Quest" button this time it worked like a charm. But, there was no waypoint set on the map for her to go to. Just a general area around the entire town. "At least this place isn't too big," Mutsu muttered to herself, picking a direction at random and setting off at a jingle inducing pace through the town. It was only a matter of time before she ran across the start of the quest at this point.

After what seemed, to Mutsu, like hours, or days, or possibly even weeks of wandering around the soggy and humid streets of Krycim even though it was really only about fifteen minutes, Mutsu finally ran into the quest non-player character that she needed to find in order to get things started. She was just about to open her mouth and speak to the hooded figure when they spoke first, in a masculine voice. "You look pretty strong," said the masculine voice.

"I am pretty strong," Mutsu declared, flexing her right bicep for added emphasis. "And you smell pretty strong," she continued, holding up her hand and waving it in the universal 'you stink' motion in front of her nose.

"I'm looking to test my skills. If you beat me, I'll teach you a hidden skill. What do you say?"

"Yep, quest NPC," Mutsu declared, clapping her hands delightedly and hopping on the spot which set the bells on her armor to jingling. "I say let's get this show on the road!"

Once she had activated the quest the rest of what needed to be done in terms of preparation was, really, pretty simple. Sweat a lot. Follow the quest giving non-player character through the town of Krycim. Sweat some more. Head out of the town through their moss covered main gates. Sweat a little bit more. Move to a specific spot about fifty meters from the main gate into the town, not even bothering to exit the roadway. And, of course, sweat just a teensy weensy bit more. "If there is a Hell, this place is probably pretty close. Stupid jungle and stupid humidity," Mutsu muttered to herself. She contemplated removing her armor for this quest, but thought better of it. If this really was the player versus player system tutorial quest then, it seemed quite probable, that she would want her armor to still be on. That just seemed logical. Maximum protection would not only make this quest easier, it would make it a lot safer too. And she did want that bonus skill. Skills that did not use up skill slots were always handy to have.

"Are we there yet," Mutsu finally asked, stopping in the middle of the road just outside of town and putting her hands on her hips. Enough was enough and, so far as she was concerned, she had walked far enough at this point in order to trigger the beginning of the quest. After all, how far could they possibly need to walk? This was a tutorial quest for the Player versus Player combat system, at least as far as Mutsu could tell that was what it was anyway. The only thing that should have been required for them to actually get down to business should have been for them to exit the town. Once they were free of the town, and its accompanying Safe Zone, then no further action should have been required. After all, once they were out of the town they could begin the combat whenever they liked.

"This is far enough," the voice of the Non-player character says, indicating that the pair of them have come far enough out from the main gates of the city, well the town, of Kaycim in order for the quest to get started in earnest.

"Finally, I have sweat in places I didn't even know I had... worse, I have sweat in places where no woman ever wants to have sweat. I'd have to shower for a week if this was the real world," Mutsu said cheerily, bouncing on the balls of her feet which set the bells on her armor to jingling a happy little tune amidst all the ambient noise of the surrounding jungle.

"I know just what you mean," the voice said, but it had now changed and sounded familiar. A little bit too familiar. The non-player character drew back its hood and Mutsu found herself staring directly into her own face.

"What in the ever loving fu..."

ID: 108056
MD: 5 (4+1)

Mutsu: 60/60 (6/6 EN)
Gemini: 30/30

Mutsu was so taken aback by the appearance of the Gemini as now matching her own appearance, right down to the voice, that the brunette forgot to try and use a sword art when she attacked. Instead, she flung out the Chinese fighting spear, similar to what might be used by a Shao Lin Monk, in a wild stabbing motion. She was still getting used to the feel, and the reach, of the new weapon and the spear missed pretty badly. The only positive to come from the attack was that it forced the Gemini to swipe out with its identical weapon to bat away the attack before it landed a hit. So, at least Mutsu didn't have to concede the first hit of the match to the computer. That was a benefit. "Why do you look like me," the brunette demanded.

Edited by Mutsu

ID: 108095
BD: Mutsu declines to attack, she is too busy running her mouth.
MD: 10 (9+1)

Mutsu: 59/60 (6/6 EN) - [18 DMG - 18 Mit = 1 DMG]

"Why wouldn't I want to look like you," the Gemini asked, shrugging her shoulders which set her armor to jingling. Jingling just like Mutsu's! Unacceptable! "Besides, maybe I don't look like you," Gemini continued as Mutsu's mouth dropped open in mock rage. "Maybe you look like me."

That was going too far. Much too far.

"Excuse me," Mutsu demanded, dropping her weapon and putting her hands on her hips. This was some kind of tutorial quest anyway, it wasn't as if she needed to worry about the game killing her here. "I do not look like you! You copied me! All this," Mutsu shimmied and jingled in a mildly lascivious manner, "Is one hundred percent Mutsu! You're the digital fake! You are! Not me!" While she was busy carrying on Gemini popped her once with its weapon, dropping Mutsu's health point total by an entire one point. So, you know, nothing to worry about there.

Edited by Mutsu

ID: 108106
BD: 5 (4+1)

Mutsu: 59/60 (5/6 EN)

"You go back to being a creepy dude right now," Mutsu demanded. She brought her spear up over her head and then brought it screaming down in a tomahawk chop. That was not, really, what a spear was supposed to be used for in combat. Predictably, the blow missed its intended target and the fat blade of the Chinese spear buried itself deep in the digital ground. This weapon was not the same as her giant sarissa had been. Mutsu was not a big fan of it, but it was still much better than the vanity weapon had been. Mutsu threw her head back, howled, and ripped the weapon free from the ground. In the process, she threw up a shower of digital dirt and jungle moss in a strange kind of dissolving shower around herself and Gemini.

Edited by Mutsu

ID: 108115
BD: 4 (3+1)

Mutsu: 58/60 (4/6 EN) [18-18=1 DMG]

"Why would I want to do that," the Gemini asked, casually flicking out the spear to jab Mutsu a second time. The brunette woman's brown eyes flicked to her status bar where she noted, once again, that her overall health point total had dropped by exactly one more hit point. Obviously, there was nothing to worry about here. Mutsu was not all that good at math, not really. But, by her calculation, it was going to take the Gemini at least another 58 hits before she was in any kind of serious danger. Or dead. "I like being you. The jingling when I move is a nice touch. Most of the other players are so boring. At least you're interesting. Or, anyway, your armor's interesting. I'm not so sure about how interesting you are." Growling, Mutsu scythed her weapon through the air, but the Gemini neatly stepped backwards to avoid the attack.

Edited by Mutsu

ID: 108116
BD: 9 (8+1)

Mutsu: 58/60 (3/6 EN) [Heft 2x]
Gemini: 27/30 (8-5=3 DMG)

Mutsu growled in anger and lashed out with her Shao Lin spear in the direction of Gemini. If taunting her was the computer's way of getting her good and angry, and probably goading her into making some kind of mistake, then it was likely to be a successful strategy. Whether or not that meant it was a winning strategy remained to be seen. The tiny brunette whipped the spear out in a straight poking attack and the weapon found its mark. A small red wound appeared on the duplicate's stomach, precisely where Mutsu had jabbed it. Within a few seconds, the wound had disappeared. But, Mutsu was gratified to see that she did hit harder than the Gemini did at least. So, between having the bigger health pool and hitting harder the rest of this fight should prove to be fairly simple. Time consuming, but simple. "I'm not going to lose."

Edited by Mutsu

ID: 108128
BD: 8 (7+1)
MD: 1 (1+1)

Mutsu: 58/60 (2/6 EN) [Heft 2x]
Gemini: 24/30 (8-5=3 DMG)

"Well, I'm pretty sure you're not going to..." The Gemini was forced to abruptly shut its mouth after Mutsu rammed the business end of the Shao Lin spear into the mob's face with a savage screech. The impact left a nasty red slash across the Gemini's face, and chipped another ten percent out of the health bar. At this rate it would only take enough eight hits. Mutsu growled and scowled and muttered to herself. She was pretty sure she didn't have a deep enough energy pool to do it that quickly. That meant it was going to take even more than eight hits. But, figuring out the exact number took math and the brunette was really disinclined to want to do that. As she drove her weapon home into the face of her doppelganger the computer controlled bot dropped its spear which then went rolling a short distance away.

Edited by Mutsu

ID: 108129
BD: 1 (1+1) [Eating Snack for +2 EN]
MD: 7 (6+1) 

Mutsu: 57/60 (5/6 EN) (15-18=1 DMG)
Gemini: 24/30

With the Gemini nice and silent for a minute, because the deep crimson mark across its face was still healing through the system, Mutsu glanced up at her status bar. She scowled. Her energy was already half gone. That wasn't going to do. Swiping her finger in the air, she pulled up her player menu and, keeping one eye on the menu and the other chocolate brown eye focused on the Gemini as the non-player character went and retrieved its weapon. For a split second she took her eyes off of Gemini to tap the item she wanted, chocolate covered coffee beans that would recover some of her energy. No sooner had they materialized in her hand than she ripped them open and dumped all the contents into her mouth, her cheeks bulging like a chipmunk's as Gemini poked her in the stomach with its spear again.

Edited by Mutsu

ID: 108163
BD: 9 (8+1) [Heft x2]
MD: 1 (1+1) 

Mutsu: 57/60 (4/6 EN)
Gemini: 21/30 (8-5=3 DMG)

"Win," Gemini said, finally punctuating and concluding the remark that it had been in the process of making before Mutsu had slashed it across the face. "I was saying I don't think you're going to win," the Gemini continued, "Before you interrupted me, rude!" It seemed that, the longer the Gemini remained in Mutsu's form the more mannerisms of Mutsu that Gemini took on. Sure enough, a second later the Gemini made another crazy slashing attack in the direction of Mutsu, lost its grip on the copy of the Shao Lin spear in its hands, and the weapon went flying. As the Gemini turned to retrieve the weapon Mutsu took the opportunity and opening to slash across Gemini's back for an easy hit, no point in wasting the opportunity, after all.

Edited by Mutsu

ID: 108175
BD: Declines to attack, too busy talking
MD: 10

Mutsu: 54/60 (5/6 EN) (21-18=3 DMG)
Gemini: 21/30

"You can't beat me," Mutsu declared confidently, advancing on Gemini and then stopping to strike a heroic pose. "You don't even know how to properly jingle," the brunette continued, bouncing on the balls of her feet which set all of the bells she had on her armor to jingling. While the Gemini retrieved it's own weapon Mutsu debated trying to attack again, but since the Gemini was just now getting its weapon back and she was going to need to pay attention to her energy consumption during this fight in order for it to not take all day to complete. It was better to take thing nice and easy and slow. While Mutsu was thinking this, and had her attention diverted, the Gemini had gotten back to its weapon and then slammed it into Mutsu's chest, knocking her backwards in the process. "Ow," she squawked from the flat of her back, glaring up at Gemini. "What as that for?"

Edited by Mutsu

ID: 108255
BD: 7 (6+1) [Heftx2]
MD: 10

Mutsu: 51/60 (4/6 EN) (21-18=3 DMG)
Gemini: 18/30 (8-5=3 DMG)

Angry that she had been caught in the middle of what, in Mutsu's completely correct opinion, was a very fine speech indeed, and knocked off her feet. "NO FAIR," Mutsu roared in a most unladylike fashion. She jabbed her spear in a slashing motion in the direction of Gemini and caught her opponent with a diagonal slash across the armored breastplate that the non-player character was wearing. In the wake of the attack there was a nice red gash in the armor, though that slowly faded back to normal. As Mutsu peered at Gemini's health bar she noted, with some satisfaction, that it was about half gone. But, while she was staring the Gemini landed another serious critical hit and Mutsu squawked in anger.

Edited by Mutsu

ID: 108276
BD: 7 (6+1) [Heftx2]

Mutsu: 50/60 (3/6 EN) (18-18=1 DMG)
Gemini: 15/30 (8-5=3 DMG)

Mutsu jabbed her Shao Lin spear into the ground and used it to propel herself up to her feet. In a flash, she had launched a slashing attack at the Gemini and raked the steel blade of the spear across the Gemini's face yet again, leaving another angry red mark. This time, when the tiny brunette checked the damage that she had meted out to her opponent, so far, she was pleased to see that the opponent's health bar had finally dropped into the yellow range. That meant she was at least halfway to being done with this tedious look alike that wanted to be her. Of course, she supposed, that as long as no one else saw that Gemini while it looked like her and as long as, if someone was watching, the Gemini didn't try to strip off its armor and clothing then she wouldn't care too much. "I want that new skill, I want it now! Give me your knowledge!"

Edited by Mutsu

ID: 108363
BD: 8 (7+1) [Heftx2]
MD: 7 (6+1)

Mutsu: 49/60 (2/6 EN) (15-18=1 DMG)
Gemini: 12/30 (8-5=3 DMG) 

"Greedy much," Gemini asked, cocking its brown-haired head to one side and regarding Mutsu with a brown-eyed gaze. A brown-eyed gaze that was disconcertingly similar to Mutsu's own. Because they both had the same eyes in the same face. "You'll get your reward, if you win. If skills are all you love, then that's what you shall have," Gemini declared, trying it's best to sound like Princess Leia. Obviously, there were some fairly advanced Artificial Intelligence non-player characters to be found within the world of Sword Art Online.

"This tutorial quest sure is a lot different from the last one," Mutsu muttered to herself, glaring at Gemini. She was still glaring when the Gemini smacked her with the spear in its hands. "That's really annoying," Mutsu sighed, then she returned the Gemini's attack, with interest, chipping another handful of points off of the mob's health bar.

Edited by Mutsu

ID: 108444
BD: Skipping Attack to manage Energy Consumption

Mutsu: 49/60 (3/6 EN)
Gemini: 12/30

"Why is this more difficult than the other tutorial quests," Mutsu asked, planting her spear point first in the ground and leaning on the weapon for a moment. In honesty, it wasn't necessary to lean on the spear like that, but it was an old real world habit. The Gemini was also breathing hard, or pretending to breathe hard. Did non-player characters even have to breathe? That was one of the digital life's great mysteries, Mutsu supposed. "Well," Mutsu demanded, glaring at the Gemini and waiting for some answer to be forthcoming. Of course since answering such a question would probably break the immersive environment that the developers had been going for she had serious doubts that her question was going to be asked. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Edited by Mutsu

ID: 108457
BD: Skipping Attack to manage Energy Consumption
MD: 6 (5+1)

Mutsu: 48/60 (4/6 EN) (-1 DMG)
Gemini: 12/30

"Answer me," Mutsu demanded, still leaning on her weapon and watching her energy meter replenish itself. Having to manage energy like this really was a pain. The brunette spearwoman was just opening her mouth to demand another answer when the Gemini exploded into motion and sent a slashing attack across the steel breastplate over her chest, leaving a crimson slash mark on the armor in its wake. Mutsu eyed her health bar in the corner of her vision and noted that this most recent attack had been every bit as successful as most of the preceding attacks. In other words, it had essentially done nothing. Sighing, the brunette stood up properly and brought her weapon back around into a ready position, preparing to attack when the next opportunity presented itself.

Edited by Mutsu