[PP/F 1+] <<In search of a Mentor>>

Alec followed the Grandmaster Blacksmith and his new mentor back to the Town of Beginnings and through the crowded streets back to the Blacksmith shop of Cedric the Blacksmith profession quest giver listening closely as Macradon spoke. Alec followed behind as Macradon began speaking to the non player character quest giver and trainer. As they made their way to the back of the shop Alec followed and watched carefully as the other man picked up various tools and hammers inspecting them and placing them back on the counter tops as he made his way to a pair of stools at which Alec took a seat on the stool next to Macradon and waited for what was to come next. Alec had to admit he was quite anxious to begin and see if he had what it took to become a Blacksmith here in Aincrad as he sat waited for the non player character Cedric to begin his block of instruction or whatever it was he was about to do. A faint smile crept onto the corner of his mouth as his excitement grew as did his anticipation of what was to come.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Alec and Macradon took their seats, Cerdic began his lecture. Macradon would sit back and relax, because for now, he just had to observe and didn't have to do any work. Cerdic would start by grabbing a large pair of pliers and show it to Alec. "This set of pliers here, you can see they have this square end, this helps blacksmiths handle their materials while they're in the furnace." Cerdic said and would then grab a material from this pile with the pliers, and slide it into the furnace. "When working with any metal, to be able to do anything with it, we need to heat it up to temperature! With our pliers here, we can easily grab the corners of the ingot in the furnace and move it around as we like. Besides the furnace a small gauge will appear and slowly fill up, it shows the current temperature of the material in it without giving a numeric value, so it's a thing you just have to get used to and practice with, but it also makes it a lot of work to learn about a new type of metal you're forging." Cerdic said and pointed at the vertical rectangle that appeared  besides the furnace as he put the material into it. As the gauge slowly began to creep upwards, Cerdic would first look at Macradon, who didn't seem to have anything to comment, then over to Alec and asked "Any questions?".

Alec quietly and attentively watched the demonstration offered by the computer controlled character Cedric. Once he was done Alec stood up from his wooden stool and rubbed his large hands on his pants legs. "No Sir. I don't think I have any questions." Alec replied as he walked over to the work bench and chose an ingot of ore and picked up a long handled pair of pliers and carefully placed the raw piece of ore I to the forges intensely hot center to let the raw unformed piece of ore heat until it had reached a brilliant orange hue. Once the ore had reached a brilliant yellow orange hue Alec removed it from the forge with the long handled tongs and moved over to the anvil where he chose a heavy wide headed hammer which he hefted in his hand a few times to learn it wright and balance. Once he felt comfortable he raised the heavy hammer up over his shoulder and swung down with a mighty blow that rang out with a flat empty THWACK sound that made Alec cringe at the complete wrongness if the sound as he mangled the brilliant piece of ore into an usable lump.

Spoiler

Roll: 118066

CD: 1 (Crit Fail)

LD: 5+3=8

-1 Material

Edited by Alec

Macradon would observe as Alec would attempt his first try at crafting, having only been shown the basics of heating a material to the somewhat proper temperature for crafting. As Alec began the heating process in the furnace, Macradon would stand up and get close to observe. Macradon would look, analyze the materials and go “Aaaaaaaaand …. Now!” he thought and waited to see how long it would take for Alec to pull out the ingot from the burning coals. It took a while, but it was fine, it was still within proper temperature to work with without it being too soft. Taking a few steps back, Macradon would spectate the first forging of Alec … which didn’t go that well, but everyone had to start somewhere. “Yeah … that didn’t go too well. Try again.” Macradon said as he would grab a material and slide it over to Alec to work on. “I’m not sure if it’s pure luck or just intuition, but you did pull out the metal at a nice temperature to work with, a bit late, but still very doable. What I see you lack is the way you use the mallet. Try to get a feel of your instrument before you work with it. Just tap the anvil a few times with the mallet to get a good feeling of not just the weight of your instrument, but also the feedback you will receive when you do get a good hit on the heated metal. A few taps on the anvil, then a good wack, rinse and repeat until you find a good and stable amount of force to exert. When you begin to feel the strain and a lot of hefty feedback from the material while forging, it’s a good idea to heat it up to temperature again, as it softens the material and makes it easier for you to work with it. It takes time to get used to, and there are a lot of variables that you will have to learn along the way, but for now, the basic instructions should be enough for you to work with. If you are feeling lost, do not hesitate to ask, you do have the best pair of blacksmiths on the first floor.” Macradon said, properly acknowledging the skill, or perhaps just the hardcoded features, of Cerdic. Cerdic would chortle and Macradon’s remark and reply with a most happy tone “You humble me, Grandmaster.”.

Alec took the piece of ore Macradon his slid him across the work bench and caught it midslide and lifted the chunk of ore up turning it over in his hand inspecting the chunk of raw metal as he listened to the Grandmaster Blacksmith's instructions nodding as he absorbed the other man's advice and instructions. As Macradon finished Alec nodded "Ok. I can do that." Alec replied in his deep baritone voice as he tested the weight of a few of the hammers on the table twisting them in his grip before swinging them down in easy test swings on the anvil till he found the one that felt the best to him as he turned to the forge and thrust Macradon's chosen piece of ore into the forges heart watching as it began to glow brightly from the fire. As the ore turned a nice bright color Alec reached in with his tongs he pulled to heated piece of ore from the heart of the forge and placed it on the anvil. Alec picked up his chosen hammer and hefted it experimentally before swinging it down onto the forge twice before raising it up over his shoulder. As Alec swung his hammer down on the heated ore he began hammering it and reheating it. When Alec was done he looked down at the mangled hunk of metal. Another failed attempt Alec thought to himself as he tossed the useless piece of failed crafting into the discard pile as he shook his head and turned toward his mentor. "Well....not a success." Alec said in his deep voice "But at least it wasn't as bad as last time." Alec offered with a slight chuckle to show he wasn't disheartened yet as he looked to Macradon for any further corrections or advice.

Spoiler

Roll: 118098

CD: 3

LD: 15

(-2 T1 Materials)

Edited by Alec
  • 2 weeks later...

Macradon would smile and shrug “You just have to practice, who would think that they would be able to succeed from the very first try at a profession without any practice.” he said and handed over another material. “When forging the piece, try to think of the shape you want it to take. Each strike with the hammer will make everything spread out from where you hit. It takes some time, but you will get the hang of it, I am sure of it.” Macradon said as words of guidance and encouragement. Macradon would sit down again and observe if Alec had anything else he needed to polish right now, just to make sure that he did go through the quest successfully, he had a few tries left, but he was bound to get at least a good item at his disposal from this session of crafting, especially when he was hanging out with a master blacksmith and a grandmaster blacksmith.

Again Alec listened attentively to Macradon's words of advice and instructions noding when the other man had finished. Alec accepted the piece of material from the Grandmaster Blacksmith and turned it over in his hands as he gazed deeply and thoughtfully at the piece of Material and sought to find the item buried withing the unformed raw piece of ore within his hands. After several minutes of steady calming breathing Alec looked up from the Material and at his would be mentor. "I've said it before and I'll say it again." Alec began in his deep baritone rumble. "I really appreciate you taking the time away from your own life (such as we have here) and your own endeavors to help and instruct me on this. It shows alot to your nature and the kind of man you are to take the time to help someone you've barely met before in something of this nature and I really appreciate it." Alec ended as he turned back to the forge taking a deep calming breath as he placed the Material into the forge to begin the process again. As the ore reached an appropriate temperature and coloration Alec removed it from the the forges heart and brought it over to the anvil beginning the process of striking the anvil to resonate before swinging the hammer at the glowing piece of Material envisioning a One Handed Straight Sword as he repeated the procesd of striking the anvil and then the Material to keep the resonance ringing. As Alec worked the Material it failed to take shape but neither too did Alec waste the Material this time as Alec turned and placed the Material back into the forge as he turned to look at Macradon with a half smile. "We're getting there." Alec offered jovially.

Spoiler

Roll: 118276

CD: 9

LD: 19+3=23 (Material Salvaged)

Edited by Alec

Macradon would chortle delightedly, sitting well back into the chair, leaning up against whatever would be able to support his back. “I am very glad you like having me on board, even though I haven’t done much for you as a mentor, I have merely given you a few tips, while this man here” Macradon said and gestured towards Cerdic “is the one who’s actually teaching you.” Macradon would say as a thanks to the very kind words Alec had sent towards him. Macradon and Cerdic observed, watching as Alec slowly came closer and closer to a completed item. The two would look in anticipation as it more and more began to look like a finished item, but something went wrong, and Macradon would begin to analyze. “Hm …” Macradon said as he pondered “Maybe try from the edges at first, and when you have a good spread, then begin to really hammer in the middle of the material to quickly spread out the material into shape. I’m not quite sure how I should word it, but when the lining around the item gets about a finger’s thickness, that’s when you should work in the middle and really spread out the material and get it into shape, you should not work too much on the edges, only when you really need to form a curve or correct some shaping.” Macradon said and would wait to see how well Alec would be able to do it this time.

Alec again listened patiently and attentively to the words of Macradon as gave more advice and direction to Alec in process of Blacksmithing. As Macradon finished Alec nodded his head. "Ok. Start from the edges then once about a fingers thickness really go at the middle of the piece. I can do that." Alec stated with a nod and a smile as he turned back to his salvaged piece of Material he was work and pulled it from the fiery heart of the forge. As he turned back to the anvil he reached out and grasped his hammer again as he set back to work on the piece of Material picturing the sword within the piece of metal he was working. He began as previously instructed as he struck the an old several times before beginning to form the edges. Alec continued hammering on the piece of Material the piece nearly taking shape before Alec swung down obliterating the piece of Material and snapping it in two pieces. With a sigh Alec tossed the ruined Material into the pile of other discards as he turned back towards Macradon with a shrug. Guess it's back to square one Alec offered the other man with a shrug.

Spoiler

Roll: 118309

CD: 7

LD: 3+3=6

-3 Materials

Edited by Alec

Even though Macradon had given a bit of a tip to help Alec get some crafts done, it just didn’t really work. Something was off, something didn’t really work here. Macradon would look up at Cerdic with a questioning look “Can it be the equipment there's some kinks in?” Macradon questioned the NPC Master Blacksmith “Not that I’m aware of. It might be because of wear and tear since I have been teaching many people without doing much maintenance." Cerdic replied. Macradon would stand up from the chair and approach Alec “Can I have a look at that?” he asked, and if given would inspect the mallet, give it a few taps to make sure that it wasn’t that that was giving him any problems “Doesn’t seem to be the mallet.” he said and handed it back. He would walk over to the roaring furnace, getting real close. The heat was intense, but his <Survival> skill merely brushed it off as a light hot wind. “The heat seems to be fine … If that’s the case …” he said and opened up his HUD to write a quick message. “Just begin to heat up the material, I have something for you to work on that I need to get really quickly." Macradon said. He would exit the Smithy for a short few minutes where Alec in the meantime would be able to get the material to the proper temperature, and with nearly perfect timing, Macradon came waltzing back into the smithy with a big anvil in a cart “Got my fiance to send my own personal Anvil that I designed myself over here, let’s see if that makes a difference. Try it out!” Macradon said and tugged the cart into the smithy and placed it besides Alec. “It’ll probably be the same Anvil you’ll be working with while under my mentoring, so you better get used to it!” Macradon said with a snicker and would let Alec get to work.

Alec again listened as Macradon spoke especially when he began discussing with the NPC Blacksmithing instructor Cerdic. As the pair finished and Macradon excused himself Alec looked through the pieces of Material he and Macradon had found earlier he chose one that looked promising and turned it over in his hand eye the piece of ore thoughtfully before inserting the piece of ore into the forges heart and watched as the piece began to hear up turning it slightly to heat the piece equally. Just as he was worrying about the piece being inside the forges fire too long Macradon returned with a cart and another anvil which he informed Alec was the one from his own personal shop. Alec smiled with a nod and a few words of thanks as he looked through the hammers and chose the one that felt right as he used the tongs to move the heat piece of Material over to Macradon's anvil and slowly and methodically began the process as Macradon had described to him. Striking the anvil then the Material and slowly turning the piece over as he envisioned the hammer he saw within the piece of Material. As Alec contiued the process he began to see a hammer forming out of the Material until Alec swung down and buried his crafting hammer fully into a soft spot of the Material ruining the piece completely. With another sigh Alec tossed yet another chunk of ruined Material into the ever growing pile in the corner along with the others. "I understand what you're saying and the methods you're describing." Alec began as he turned to his would be mentor. "I'm feeling the problem is in my execution of your instructions not in your delivery." Alec stated in his deep baritone rumble as he looked to the other man with a shrug.

Spoiler

Roll: 118310

LD: 4+3=7

-4 Materials

Edited by Alec

Even though Macradon had brought an anvil to work with, it didn’t seem to help Alec too much, it didn’t seem like he was getting anywhere, but at least he wasn’t failing as hard as he was in the beginning … “Very … intriguing ... “ Cerdic said as he began looking through his own equipment “I haven’t seen this happen before … it’s quite an oddity.” the Master Blacksmith said and would look cowardly towards his senior blacksmith. Macradon would but shrug and reply “Even though it’s not going the best of ways, the only way to really get anywhere at this point is to just keep on trying, he’s somewhat stagnating on crafting, so if he just keeps on practicing at this steady pace, he’s gonna get a good craft out of this session at some point, we just have to wait for it, it seems.” Macradon said and would Alec try to feel out how to properly do it his own style. Macradon would shake his head at Alec's comments "Nah, you're doing great, I have had many days where crafting didn't feel like it was my thing, but look where I'm standing, if I can have bad days, so can anyone, you just gotta keep on fighting, show your fighting spirit against the odds!" Macradon said, hoping that this was encouraging enough for Alec to keep on pushing.

Alec listened attentively to Macradon again as the other man spoke. It wasn't do feeling disheartened just a general confusion about how and or why he couldn't seem to make himself do what he was trying to do. He loved working with his hands and it usually came naturally to him. Alec closed his eyes and took several deep breaths to calm himself and center his racing mind as he thought about Blacksmithing and creating something again with his bare hands. Alec rolled his heavily muscled shoulders and stretched his side back as he opened his eyes and looked to the pile of Materials he had to choose from. Alec reached down and lifted one from the pile and turned it over in his hands as he looked derp within the piece of ore finding the weapon hidden inside. Alec placed the Material into the heart of the forge as he thought about and envisioned the dagger that would be crafted from the piece of metal heating within the heart of the forges heat. As the metal reached an even glow Alec used the tongs to pull the heated ore from the forge and turned towards Macradon's anvil and took several more deep breaths as he began to swing the hammer against the heated metal picturing the dagger in his minds eye as he hammered the metal again and again. The piece began to take shape till Alec struck the heated metal and folded the heated metal in half with a huge crack across the piece ruining it. Alec took a deep breath and tossed it into the pile of other failures as he breathed calmly looking to the other man.

Spoiler

Roll: 118311

LD: 2+3=5

-5 Materials

Edited by Alec

Macradon could do nothing but sit back and observe. He had no words to say, all he had to do now was to have faith in Alec, and let Alec do the work for now. Macradon couldn’t give any more help than he had already given, since all the tips he had said were all the things he could say with words, everything else had just come with experience, and it didn’t seem like his experience would be of any help, since it was a standalone thing Alec had to do by himself, all Macradon was able to do was to give some hints and help with the equipment he had, crafting was something Alec just had to figure out by himself, hopefully it would click sooner rather than later. It wasn’t Alec’s inability to craft that was making Macradon somewhat ticked off, it was the odd chance that some of the equipment, or any other variable wasn’t set properly for Alec to just learn how to craft, if that was to be the case, Cerdic would have a lot of explaining to do to Macradon by the end of this day. 

Alec nodded to himself as he took several more deep calming breaths to easy his nerves. This was truly turning into a test of his skills and patience. Either this was meant to truly be a monumental task or he was just mentally making it harder on himself, which he had been known to do to himself. As Alec continued to breath he reached up and vigorously rubbed both hands across his bald head there ran his hands through his thick salt and pepper beard giving it a tug as he turned back toward the available Materials. Alec rifled through them finally setting on one he felt good about then placed the ore inside the forge to heat. Once the Material reached a nice bright glow he used the tongs to removed the heated Material and brought it over to Macradon's anvil again as he picked up a hammer and gave it a few experimental twirls limbering his wrist up before raising the hammer and swinging it down upon the heated Material. Alec swung the hammer down repeatedly onto the heated Material as he turned it over and repeated the process. After some time of hammering and turning Alec walked over to one of the barrels and thrust the dagger into the bucket receiving a gratifying hiss as the liquid cooled the dagger hardening the blade. It was done Alec had created his first weapon!!! It wasn't the prettiest weapon he had ever seen that was for sure but it was sturdy. The blade was nicked and uneven and jagged from Alec's beginner Smithing skill but if it hit it would leave a viscous gaping wound in its wake. Alec held the Dagger up to Macradon for his inspection. "She's not the prettiest girl at the ball but she'll do her job well." Alec stated as he waited for his would be mentors inspection and comments.

Spoiler

Roll: 118315

CD: 10 (Uncommon T1 Dagger created)

-6 Materials

Spoiler

Name: Jagged Tooth
Your Profession: Blacksmith
Your Rank: 1
Roll ID: 118315
Roll Result: 10
Item Type: Dagger
Tier: 1
Quality: Uncommon
Enhancements: Bleed I
Description:  This dagger is a sturdy weapon. The handle and blade are one solid piece. The handle is wrapped in leather cords woven to provide a slip proof grip. Due to the Blacksmith's inexperience the blade has chips and jagged edges which have the potential to leave gaping cuts if one catches when striking.

Post Link: 

Edited by Alec

Macradon would smile as Alec did a really good job of heating the material properly, as well as forging it into good shape. With the Cardinal system running, there wasn’t much to be done by the crafter, since it would’ve been a much more tedious task if everything was a 100% replica of how crafting went in the real world, here you could finish a bunch of equipment within a day, whereas that task would take weeks if not months back in the real world, and you didn’t even have to think about heat treating! This world was fantastic in its own ways, even if it was a death game. As Alec finished his craft, Macradon would get up from his seat and give a polite golf clap as he congratulated the man “Nicely done! You’ve done your first craft, and your Blacksmith title should arrive sooner or later.” Macradon said. “You have done it, good sir! I may not have been to much help, but it seems like you have begun to understand the way of the Blacksmith, and I can surely attest to you having earned the profession of Blacksmith!” Cerdic said as a small HUD would appear before Alec, telling him he had earned the Blacksmith profession.

Alec smiled at words from Macradon. "You count your efforts and guidance too little." Alec stated in his deep baritone rumble. "You are the one who gave me the tips and advice on how to properly complete this task. Plus, it took your personal anvil for me to finally complete the process. I count you as an integral part in the entire effort here. You found a majority, by far, of the Materials we found. Plus, it was your words and guidance that led me to this finished item. If you'll have me if like to offer myself as your Blacksmith apprentice until such time as you feel I'm ready to venture off on my own. I offer my first completed piece as my symbol of loyalty to you." Alec stated somberly as he held the finished dagger out before him in by the blade with the hilt pointed towards Macradon as he looked to the Grandmaster Blacksmith with his perpetual scowl affixed firmly to his face as he waited for the other man's response.

Macradon would smile at Alec, now finally a Blacksmith as he wanted to, becoming a Blacksmith within a day, albeit apprentice, but still. Macradon would listen to the praise Alec gave him, and then that he offered the dagger to Macradon. Somewhat shocked, Macradon would instinctively accept and hold the dagger in his hands, until he finally snapped out of it and was about to deny the accept of the gift, he opened his mouth, but no words came out. “I … I can’t … it’s his …” Macradon thought and closed his mouth again, then his eyes. He would inhale through his nose and just as gently exhale again, looking up at the big man, Macradon would smile and reply “Aye, I’ll accept it, I’ll hang on the wall at my shop besides my own blade, as a trophy to show people who my apprentice is. You better make me proud!” Macradon said with a smile and banked the dagger in his inventory.

As Macradon accepted Alec’s offer of his first created weapon and his oath of apprenticeship as a Blacksmith the perpetual scowl that was a nearly permanent fixture upon Alec’s face broke apart into a wide heart felt smile. “I will.” Alec swore to Macradon touching his right hand to his heart. “I will perform no action or deed that would bring shame to you in any way. I will work my hardest to learn all I can from you.” Alec swore as he stood before the other man who was now his mentor. “So? What’s first?” Alec asked the other man as his smile settled down into something more manageable than the giant grin he had worn before. “Say the word and get right to it.” Alec stated as he looked to the other man for instruction.

Macradon would onder and look at Alec, waiting for the right words to appear in his head “Well, now that you’re a proper blacksmith, let’s go bag to my shop, and let’s discuss how this mentoring thing is gonna work, shall we?” Macradon proposed, as they would have to find a way where this mentor-ship was gonna work. If it was possible, Macradon wanted Alec to be the primary crafter when doing requests for people, and if Alec didn’t get the desired results, Macradon would take over when Alec couldn’t do anymore, and hopefully get the crafts done, hopefully Alec would be happy for that kind of apprenticeship, if not, they would probably be able to find an alternative that satisfied both parties of the deal, making this apprenticeship something worthwhile for both. “Thanks for the help and equipment, Cerdic!” Macradon said as he left the NPC Blacksmith Shop “You were very much welcome, Grandmaster!” Cerdic replied to the exiting Macradon.