[PP/F9] Bring the Heat <Guardian of Fire>

Alec found himself walking along the streets of the main settlement of Yogan Village on the Ninth Floor of Aincrad with his friend and faithful traveling companion Humphrey by his side. This floor was made up of soot and ash and heat but the effects of the floor seemed not to bother the nearly six and a half foot tall overly wide and heavily muscled man or the American black bear cub that walked by his side. Alec had been here once before to do a quest which his now mentor Macradon had placed for something called a Name Tag. Alec remembered the floor as being unbearably hot but this time around the heat of the floor didn't seem to bother him as much as last time. Alec currently had no destination in mind and we're letting his feet carry him along the soot covered streets as he walked along with his mind wandering and his thoughts drifting aimlessly.

@Kirbs

Spoiler

<<Guardian of Fire>>

This quest takes place on Floor 9
This quest is repeatable

cerberus_by_moonxels-damgi0t.jpg

Rumors about a three headed dog are floating around Vulcan Village, that spawns a rare potion that gives the user the ability to inflict burn damage. They say it is hard to get to. It takes two days and three nights due south to get to the cave in which the beast lurks.

The Cerberus only appears after players make their way into Inferno Cavern a cave that is immensely hot. The heat is so strong that all players who enter loose 10 HP If their craft roll is below 6. There they must defeat an unknown number of  
«Hell Hounds»  to awaken Cerberus.

Cerberus appears from seemingly nowhere; a dark body covered in dancing flames; its three heads are ferocious; and each attack individually, players must destroy all three heads in order to defeat Cerberus.

Requirements

- Minimum 20 Posts in the thread
- Must RP that two days have passed from«Vulcan Town» to «Inferno Cavern»

-Once in Inferno Cavern - players must use the Perma Roller to roll craft Dice. Any roll below 6 incurs 10 HP damage
-Must Defeat X amount of Hell Hounds At 30HP each.  (Where X is 3 hounds per player present)
-Cerberus must be defeated

hell_hound_by_suika_x-d5slq53.png

<< Hell Hound >>

30 HP
Damage per Attack: 50
(MD 9 = 75 Damage || MD 10 = 100 Damage)
Mitigation: 0

<< Cerberus >>

«Cerberus» is a Field Boss and has the following statistics:

Cerberus has 3 heads, each with independent health gauges.
Each head has 30 HP.

Damage per Attack: 80 + 10 Burn Damage next turn
Cerberus ignores armor mitigation on a natural roll of 9-10
Each head attacks independently of one another. 
Thus, every hit you inflict the Cerberus will attack you three times.
The same roll ID can be used for each attack.

Rewards

1. Cerberus Soul: A Potion that when used on Weapon adds burn damage for the duration of the thread, burn damage at +2 for 2 turns on Natural Dice Roll of 8-10
  2. 3 Skill Points.

Parties or Groups of low level players are advised.
Recommended Level: 23

(updated for September update)

Spoiler

Yui's Blessing +1 SP

Alec - Lvl: 34 / HP: 710/710 / EN:  68 / DMG: 5 / MIT: 104 / ACC: 0 / EVA: -1 (SW) / Stonewall: - 25% DoT / BH: 7 / THN: 36 / BLD: 12 - 2 turns / OOC Healing: 40 - Immune environment

House Benefits: 

Relaxed - Increases HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.

Filling - Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot. This can exceed normal Cook enhancement caps. Ex: Aperfect T2 MIT food gives 35 MIT instead of 30

Col Stash - +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests

Clean - The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)

Aincrad Trading Post:

Col Deposit - +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Skills:

Fighting Spirit (+ 1 Hate)

Survival - Increases out of combat health regeneration to (15 * Tier) per post. Grants immunity to most damage dealing environmental attacks/effects.

Equipped Items:

Vanquisher Shoulder Armor

Mirror's Embrace

Axe of Rending

Edited by Alec
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirbs mumbled small curses under her breath as she walked around the village quietly. Too many things were bugging her right now. And one of them was the living thing that was literally choking her. The redhead hissed under her breath as Scarfy-- yet again-- tightened around her neck. His name fit him too well for this! Scarves weren't supposed to keep air out of your lungs! There wasn't really much for her to do, was there? People would be freaking out if Scarfy was up and about slithering around! He's a God damn snake with arms and a fox head for Pete's sake! She didn't want everyone to run away from her! No, no, that couldn't do! But what else was she supposed to do? Scarfy is literally going to be the damn death of her one day because of this!

She could always leave him at home but you never know what will happen! She'd honestly rather have him on her neck than to be killed by a giant bat or something! 

@Alec

Spoiler

LVL: 16 | HP: 320 | EN: 32 | 8 DMG | 14 MIT | 2 ACC | 1 EVA | 2 PAR | 1 Bleed | 2 REC

Skills:

> T1 Light Armor Skill: 5 MIT

> T2 Fighter Familiar Skill: 2 DMG

> Survival Skill: Increases out of combat health regeneration to [15xTier] per post. Grants immunity to most damage dealing with environmental attacks/effects

> R3 2H Assault Spear Skill: 6 DMG

Equipped:

> T1- Aftershock: 1 Bleed, 2 PAR

> T1- Coat of Eulogies: 2 Recovery, 9 MIT

> T1- Turning Medallion: 2 ACC, 1 EVA

Inventory:

> 5 Starter Healing Potions: Heals 50 HP

Alec had there was another quest here on the Ninth Floor something about a three headed dog made of fire or some oddity. Alec mind wandered as he thought about the possibility. First there had been the tiger like creature made of fire destroying the Amazon's forest a few floors below, then there had been the Phoenix here on this floor he'd dispatched to gain the Name Tag his now mentor had wanted now he was after a dog made of fire. Cats, birds dogs all made of fire what was next a pig made of fire a cow, Alec shook his head as his thoughts continued to wander and his feet continued to carry him aimlessly through the streets of Yogan Village his eyes not seeing what lay in front if him as he absently scratched Humphrey his American black bear cub behind the ears and on the nap if his neck as he was prone to do when lost in thought. He just needed to figure out where to go to start the quest. Why were these things so tough for him sometimes he thought this obviously came naturally to some Players but he was living an alien life and felt a fish out of water......water ha there wasn't any water on this floor..... there's your quest a fish made of fire Alec thought ruefully with a deep low chuckle followed by a snort.

@Kirbs

Kirbs sniffed as she stuffed her hands into the pockets of her pants. She wasn't really taking a favor to this floor. It was too hot! Back at home, it never got as hot as here. The girl sighed and approached a sort of player that she's never really seen before. He looked old. Not grandpa old, but old enough to possibly be her father. You don't see many people like that in Aincrad! The place was mostly filled up with hormonal teenagers!

"Uh, hi there, stranger!" She piped, giving him a small wave. "I was just wondering if you were on this floor to do a certain quest?" She mentally slapped herself for that. A bunch of bloody quests took place on this floor, dumbarse! She laughed nervously and poked the tips of her fingers together. "The one with the Cerberus? Something about a three headed dog or something like that."

@Alec

Alec walked along lost in thought when suddenly a voice started him from his musings and thoughts. Mildly startled Alec blinked his eyes a few times glancing around not seeing anyone at first till his eyes dropped and he saw a young lady standing before him. "Excuse me." Alec offered in his deep baritone rumble. "I'm sorry, I was lost in thought there for a moment. Actually, I am here looking for a quest." Alec offered as his perpetual scowl softened at the sight of the young woman before him. "My name's Alec and I'm not sure what you mean by a Cerberus, but I heard a rumour of a dog of fire or something like that here on this floor causing problems and after already fighting a bird of fire and a tiger of fire I figured I might as well shoot for three of a kind and add a dog of fire to my list of defeated creatures." Alec offered with a deep low chuckle as his face softened further and became a genuine smile.

@Kirbs

Kirbs’ eyes gleamed as he mentioned the bird and dog that were also on fire? “That’s actually really cool,” she chimes. “We should totally do it together, too! I think I can do quite a bit of damage to the little mutts so it won’t be hard at all!” Oh, it would be fun to actually fight something on fire! So far, she hasn’t really fought anything that was really on fire, so this could be something new!

”Oh, yeah,” Kirbs blinked, forgetting that she had yet to introduce herself yet. “My name— or username, really— is Kirbs! Like the video game character.” She then pointed to the familiar looped around her neck and sniffed. “This here is Scarfy, too. I’d suggest you keep your finger back, though. His bite is worse than his bark, sadly,” she sighed in defeat but then her eyes cast down to a little bear cub. Oh, my, was that something? She squealed and bent down to look at it. It was like a wittle stuffed teddy bear! “Oh my God, is this your familiar?” She cooed, metaphorical hearts forming in her eyes. 

As the young woman took on an eager and energetic tone a smile was brought out on Alec's face replacing his perpetual scowl. "That sounds like a great idea." Alec offered in his deep baritone rumble of a voice. "I've been going solo since I finally figured out how to make all this work and get it to do what I want so my own damage output is pretty pathetic but I can take most hits sent my way with little to no actual damage." Alec offered. "Nice to meet you Kirbs?" Alec replied with a hint of a question. "I'm not much of a video game player so I'm sorry I don't know what you mean. What video game character?" Alec eyed the thick mass of fur encompassing the young woman neck as she introduced it as her familiar. It seemed very uncomfortable especially in the heat of this floor, not that Alec felt it due to his Survival skill. "Scarfy you say?" Alec replied as he leaned around trying to see what exactly the creature was. As the young woman spotted Humphrey the American black bear cub quickly bounded up to the young woman and began to nuzzle her with his large head bringing a chuckle to the large man. "Yes. This overly affectionate ladies man is Humphrey. My pal here helps keep me going when the chips are down and health starts dipping." Alec replied as the bear cub flopped over on his side in front of the young lady practically landing on the tips of her toes as he rolled around happily with a wide smile across his face as a happy growl of contentment was released.

"Oh, that's good," she nodded her head. That was definitely good. She wasn't really sure what level this guy really was but he seemed good enough, if not higher than her-- which he probably was, let's face it. "Oh, it's this old Nintendo character named Kirby," she chuckled, scratching the back of her neck sheepishly. She didn't really want to spill the details of one of her favorite Nintendo characters. Honestly, she found it a bit embarrassing that she named herself after a pink blob that inhales everything-- and when she said everything, she meant everything. She was snapped back to reality when he started examining her familiar. "Yup! I actually named him after another character from the video game I based my username off of," she grinned sheepishly. 

"He is so cute!" She squealed, placing her hands on the side of her face as she looked at the baby bear. 

Alec smiled at the young woman's exuberance. "You can let Humphrey if you like." Alec offered l. "He's a through and through attention hog and people pleaser. He loves making people happy and playing with children." the large man exclaimed. "So I know what Nintendo is. I had one when I was a kid. I remember when they came out. But I was never much of a video game player myself. I was never very good at them so I never really got into them." Alec offered as an explanation. "If you don't mind my asking. What exactly is a Scarfy?" Alec asked in a perplexed tone of voice. "I honestly thought you were just being fashionable and wearing like a mink shawl or wrap." Alec stated as he gazed down at the young woman, his companion Humphrey and her odd furry scarf if a companion wrapped about her neck. The thing had to be unbearable in the heat of this floor for both her and the creature Alec thought yo himself as he continued to smile be at the young woman apearant genuine happiness. "So you seem to know quite a bit more about this quest than me." Alec admitted without the faintest hint of embarrassment. "What can you tell me about it?" he asked in all earnestness.

"Really?" Her eyes gleamed, reaching her hand out to pet the small bear. He was so fluffy! God, she felt like a little kid all over again! "He's so adorable," she commented, grinning. 

"Oh, it was from this game called Kirby," she started, retracting her hand as she looked up at Alec with a sheepish smile. "So a Scarfy was pretty much one of the enemies in the game, and they look so innocent at first, but then once you damage them, they turn all gross and try to kill you..." she trailed off, biting her lip. "Yeah, that's a pretty accurate summary of my familiar as well. Except he doesn't look that too innocent."

She shrugged, her face turning blank. "I honestly don't know that much. I just know that we hafta' kill a couple dogs and then this mini-boss kind of thing which has three heads. That's all the information I could find, anyway." She tapped on her imaginary watch on her wrist and looked back up at him. "Speaking of that, we should probably go right now. It'll take a while to get there."

Alec grinned as the young woman began petting Humphrey who let out a pleased growling noise at the attention. As she finished and began to explain the old Nintendo game and it's characters Alec nodded in understanding as he listened to her explanation. When she looked down and tapped her wrist in the universal sign of killing time and let's speed this up, Alec raised his hands in kick defense as he took on an over exaggerated look of abject horror. "Absolutely Miss Kirbs." The large man tumbled in his deep baritone voice as his face broke back into a smile. "By all means lead the way and follow." Alec offered with a smile as he slowly waved one hand forward while offering the young lady a slight bow. "I shall defer your judgement." Alec offered as he stepped out and began heading towards the town's main gate and the lava and pumice filled land beyond.

Kirbs tapped her chin a few times before nodding. "Alright, I think I should know the way!" She held up her hand and spun around a few times. Once she was a dizzy mess, she wobbly pointed in a direction. "That's... south!" She piped, holding her head with her other hand. "I'm sure of it!" She declared, already starting to walk in the given direction. 

Forgetting about her own familiar, Kirbs turned to Scarfy and offered him a sheepish smile. He should feel fine, so why should she be worried? If his home floor was the blazing desert, he should be able to go through the floor full of hot magma and volcanoes. Only a glare and a silent hiss was returned to her from the Nguruvilu and that made her squint at the scarf like creature. Okay, mister! Have your own way! She didn't need to interact with her so called, 'companion'.

Alec calmly watched the spectacle that the young Miss Kirbs put on in her decision on which way they should travel. Once she was finished Alec took one of his index fingers and popped it into his mouth sucking on it for a second before he held it up as if testing the direction of the wind. "I believe you are correct." The large man announced slightly overdramatically. "Definitely south." As he stepped off beside the young woman chuckling at her antics. Alec enjoyed his times travelling with Dagger but the other man was very cut and dry which Alec could appreciate, but there was something about this young woman that brightened his spirits. Maybe it was because she was if an age of his son Danny or maybe he had just missed out on a little bit if humor all these years. Whatever it was it brought a smile to Alec's normally stern features and softened his perpetual scowl as he followed here in the lava rock landscape.

She pulled her fist down and grinned. "Yes! I knew it!" She exclaimed. Alec really gave her a new perspective of SAO. She had never really expected older people to play such a 'young people' game, y'know? He was certainly the oldest person she knew so far. Like, he looked old enough to be her dad! And honestly, he kind of felt like one, too. God, it's been so long since she's seen her old man, it was almost sad. No, it was sad. Two damn long years! And he was a little redhead like her! Yes... Alec certainly did give off a father figure kind of player, who knows, maybe he had a kid in real life? She cringed, glancing at the other player next to her. It must suck to have your dad stuck in a video game for two years. She wouldn't know how to feel if her dad was stuck in SAO instead of her for two years!

The young red heads excitement and exuberance caused Alec to smile again. She sure was a split fire Alec thought to himself with a pleased shake of his head at her antics. She was definitely the type of girl his son would have fallen for hard and that thought brought a flash of joy followed by a pang of sadness that creased his brow and brought a quick frown to his face. Danny he thought to himself as he again shook his head to clear it of such thoughts. Now was not the time or place for thoughts like that Alec mentally chided himself. As he continued to follow the young woman down the street closing ever closer to the main gate and the lava rock landscape beyond. Alec cleared his throat as the pair walked on. "Forgive me if I'm being too forward." The large man said in his deep baritone rumble. "But I like your energy and enthusiasm. You must have a line of interested young men back home competing for you attention in the real world. I know my son would be trying his hardest to impress you if he were here in my place."

@Kirbs

Edited by Alec

"Oh, I don't think you're too forward at all," she waved him off with smile. He seemed perfectly fine to her! Kirbs face grew as red as her hair as she giggled nervously. "Ah... not really. I was... awkward back in the real world. I'm not too good with crowds and stuff," she mumbled, trailing off. "But I'm great with one on one conversations!" She piped up suddenly, grinning. So now she knew that he did have a kid! She must've guessed that he was her age because of... that comment. Maybe he was too forward? She doesn't even know, anymore. Old people, right?

Kirbs watched from the corner of her eyes at the setting sun. Sugar honey iced tea-- she forgot how long it actually took to get there. Oh glob, it was going to get dark soon. She really, really, really did not want to get stuck in such a dark place at night. It was already dark enough! The only thing keeping her sane was her conversations with Alec and the bright magma rivers and pools.

As Alec say that the sun was setting he spotted a nice covered outcropping next to a lava pool. "Hey Kirbs. Over here." The large man suggested as he waved the young woman over. This looks like a nice spot to bunk down for the night. Looks like we'll have to make a night of it out here. Say do you have any idea how far away this place is we're going?" The large man asked as he moved away some of the rocks to prepare a pair of softer places for the two of them to sleep. Had he known it would take a night he would have brought some blankets but since he hadn't he pulled out the only thing in his inventory close to a blanket and laid out his best skin wrap offering it to the young woman. A smile spread across Alec's face as he looked around their surroundings. "I miss camping." The large man offered in his deep baritone rumble. "But I guess this counts. Doesn't it?" He offered with a grin and a chuckle for the young woman. "Please have a seat." Alec offered as he waved towards the bear skin and pulled some food out of his inventory and offered it to Kirbs. "You do much camping back home?" Alec asked jovially.

@Kirbs

Kirbs darted over to him and smiled thankfully. "Seems like a nice place," she mumbled, motioning over to the large pool of frekin' lava. She sat down and sighed thankfully. It was bright enough to keep her distracted. She just didn't have to look in a random direction! Kirbs tapped on her chin thoughtfully before shrugging. "It was supposed to be a few days, and I think it was about two days, though? I'm not really sure," she sighed, refusing to make eye contact with him. Because if she looked at him-- she would see what was behind him. And what was behind him, you asked? The bloody dark, that's what!

"I kind of lived in the big city, so not really. But I did go to the countryside of the U.K. a few times, and I think I went camping maybe once or twice," she explained, already feeling bummed about talking about home. It sucked to be so close yet so far away from her family, because she was sure that her brothers wouldn't leave her side! Scarfy slithered off of her shoulders she sat down on the bear skin, which she was thankful for. He was heavier than he bloody looked!

Alec listened as the woman spoke while he moved about setting up their camp. Normally he would have built a campfire but as there was no loose wood about them that made the task impossible plus plus the warm lava gave off a soft orangish glow similar to a night light. When he was done shifting the loose lava rock around to maximize their comfort Alec came over and set down next to the young woman resting his back against the wall of the overhang they were under. "So you're from England?" Alec replied. "That's pretty cool I've never been there, but I hear it rains a LOT. Is that true or just one of those over exaggerations you heat about different places?" Alec asked as looked over at the young woman now seated beside him. Noticing the young woman's mood shift Alec clears his throat softly. "Sorry if made you sad there." Alec apologized. "I forget some people don't like to talk about the real world as much as I do. I can't wait to get out of here and back to my wife and son." stated as looked out into the dim gloom beyond their tiny camp. With a soft sigh Alec glanced back at the young woman. " You want to try and get some sleep." The large man offered. "I'll keep watch and make sure nothing and no one messes with us while you're asleep." The large man vowed solemnly.

@Kirbs

She hugged her knees and placed her chin on the right knee as she stared at the moving magma. "I suppose it would rain more in England than in the United States or Japan, but it's nice there overall. I never really payed any attention to the weather there. London was just London to me. I never really thought it was a different place from any other city or town," she let out a small huff through her nose and gave him a closed lid smile. "It's not you, really. I'm just a bit homesick," she lied, turning her head back to the lava. "You must have a nice family," the redhead smiled softly. Hearing him talk about his own family kind of reminded her of her own. Her stupid brothers and her whacky parents.

"Alrighty," she mumbled. "I think I can sleep while sitting up. It's better if I need to be woken up or something," she yawned, stretching her arms one last time before nuzzling her head in the crook of her arms. "Well, good night to you, mister Alec," she mumbled before passing out cold.