[F01 - PP] <<Earning a Living: Blacksmith>> Becoming a Blacksmith

Joanne entered the blacksmith's shop on the first floor. She took a look around. The walls of the shop were covered in years of soot. The wood was permanently died a blackish hue with fresh armor gleaming in front of the black beams. Looking to her left, she saw the blacksmith hard at work on his anvil, hammering a fresh piece of steel into the beginnings of a sword. "Hello, Master Leighton. I am Joanne, and I have come to train to become a blacksmith," she introduced herself. 

Leighton took a good hard look at her and grumbled to himself before speaking. "Yes, yes. You seem strong enough for this trade. But do you have the patience and strength for it? That we shall see," he said in a rough, raspy voice. He beckoned her over to his anvil and gave her his quest while still hammering the hot blade. Sparks flew around them, but Joanne did not even flinch. She had been a farrier and blacksmith in the real world. Steel ran through her blood. 

After receiving the quest from the blacksmith, she thanked him and stepped outside the smokey shop. 

The aroma of the first floor filled Kityuisa's senses. Oh what she would give for a loaf of sweet bread. Kityuisa was down near all of the bakeries and she couldn't help but pick up something sweet!

Kityuisa was munching on it as she walked through the streets, waving hello to nearby NPCs that she hadn't seen in ages. So many players littered the first floor. So many players that Kityuisa didn't want to talk to. As Kityuisa was trying her best to dodge other people, she managed to somehow bump into one player exiting a black smithing shop. Kityuisa felt the remainder of her sweet bread go flying.

Kityuisa watched it fall to the floor and burst into pixels. Then she fell to her knees. "W-Wha... Not fair...." She gave no notice to the player she bumped into, meanwhile her familiar, Tanine Willowflame padded up to the player, flicking her tail in apology.

Joanne looked up from the ingredients page she was focused on just in time to see the young woman crash into her and drop what she was holding. As the woman collapsed to the floor, she saw the sweet roll burst into pixels. Covering her mouth and gasping, Joanne got down on one knee in front of the player. She bowed her head and said, "I sincerely apologize. My lack of attentiveness has cost you your food. Wait here for one second." The tall woman quickly walked over to a nearby bread stand and purchased the largest loaf of sweet bread that the baker had. In fact, it was even bigger than the one the other player had just had!

Joanne bent down on one knee again and offered her the player the new loaf. "Here, I hope it is enough to make up for my mistake." She smiled sweetly at the other player. Then her attention was drawn to the woman's familiar. "Ah, and you are quite a beautiful one as well," she complimented them. "Your partner must be lucky to have you." She stood back up and offered her hand to the other player. 

@Kityuisa

Kityuisa felt bad, this girl she had literally just bumped into. It was my fault, so why does she say it's hers? Kityuisa stood to her feet. A new, bigger and sweeter smelling loaf of bread gracing her fingertips as the girl returned to her side. Kityuisa looked up, her eyes wide. "A-are you sure? It really wasn't your fault.. I was the one who didn't watch where I was going..." Kityuisa looked back down at the bread. Her mouth watering.

How about this... She took the loaf, splitting it almost perfectly down the middle. She handed half to Joanne and kept the other half for herself, "Now we can share a midday snack together. I'm Kityuisa, what's yours?" Kityuisa blushed at her statement, "Thank you." She gave her a small curtsy. "You're very nice.. Your own partner must also be one lucky fella!" She grinned happily at Joanne. Company of another person I don't know, nothing wrong with that, yeah?

Joanne was a bit surprised at the returned kind gesture. Her eyes widened a little and she paused before taking the bread. Taking it gently from Kityusia's hands, she took a bite and smiled. It was nice and sweet and soft. The texture reminded her of a light fluffy cloud. Once she had finished her bite, she introduced herself. "I am Joanne Hawk, knight of my family's emblem." She gave a small bow, then wondered what the woman meant by the term partner. Oh! That was it, a familiar. She smiled and shook her head. "Unfortunately, I don't have a familiar of my own. I plan on working my way up to a higher level so that I do not burden my poor familiar. But I thank you for your kind compliment." Compassionate as always, Joanne thought about others before herself. That is why she had never joined a guild or anything like that. She was afraid of burdening others with her low level. She wouldn't want anyone to worry about her getting hurt or possibly dying in battle. 

@Kityuisa

"Joanne Hawk..." She twisted the girl's name around on her tongue. "I like it, can I call you Anne?" Kityuisa grinned, "You can call me whatever you find pleasing to your tongue~" Kityuisa closed her eyes, relishing in her sweet roll. I just love food~ And no gaining weight here! Kityuisa felt happy for the first time in a... long time. 

When the woman spoke of burdening others, along with her own familiar, Kityuisa felt her eyes narrow. "You would never burden anyone. As long as you have the will to fight and keep moving forward despite whatever this game throws at you, you will never be a burden." But Kityuisa couldn't blame the girl, she too oftentimes, felt the exact same way. Kityuisa finished her sweet roll quickly, leaving a bit for her familiar before speaking to the girl again, "So whatcha doing today? I'm actually pretty lazy and have nothing planned. If you have anything you need to get done, I would be down to tag along~ Whether it be doing a quest, grinding some levels, eating food. I'm your gal for the day." She gave the girl a thumbs up to boost her statement.

• 1 month later...

Joanne paused, thrown off a little by the suggested nickname. However, her startled look soon turned to a smile as she nodded her head. "Yes, you can call me Anne. It has a nice ring to it," she said.

As the woman spoke further about Joanne not being a burden, she nodded her head in understanding. "I like your way of thinking. You're like a bright, cheerful star in this world. It is quite... relieving to see such an energetic soul." She watched the woman devour the sweet roll quickly, her eyes widening. Goodness, she must have been quite hungry, she thought to herself before remembering that none of the players felt real hunger in the game. Oh, she must just really like food, she corrected herself. 

"Well, I'm going out to search for materials and complete the Earning a Living quest. I want to become a blacksmith so I can forge weapons and armor for the other players as well as myself. I want to make sure that everyone here is protected, and that's my way of doing so." She pulled up the quest guidelines on her display. "It seems for the first part of the quest, I need to collect 5 materials." She closed her menu, and looked back at the woman. "I would greatly enjoy it if you accompanied me today. Gathering is always better with a friend." 

@Kityuisa