[PP/Floor 22] 'Fou!'

Jinx hadn't felt pure and unrelenting regret in her life many times. Ones where she could feel the hurt for what she did. But this, one was one those times. As she spoke about Pinball, Mishiros face showed her a lot. It was a series of emotions, and none of them were nice to see on her friend. Jinx paused, and she looked at her friend as the look on her face....cut her deeper than any attack Pinball did. Mishiro knew her attacker, even she could work that out with how she said his name. 

So Jinx acted out of instinct, and hugged her friend. Her arms wrapping around Mishiro as if there was nothing else in the world other than her friend that was in pain. She hadn't meant to hurt her friend, and yet....she'd brought pain upon her like she always did. She was the worst...

"It's ok Mishiro...I promise, he...he didn't hurt me. He wanted my guild leader, he...he was using me, using Dustin...." The girl paused, knowing what she was saying wasn't helping but in her absent mind, she couldn't find the words she wanted "He didn't want me dead...he needed me alive...to bait in Stryd...." Slowly, Jinx released Mishiro, unless the other girl was hugging her back and not letting her go "People are complicated and, i...i can't understand them. But Pinball, you...you, understand him...?"

"Why?" The last time she asked him that question, he turned his back to her and left her with nothing but an apology. She didn't know. She didn't know anything. Her entire understanding of the awkward, fumbling person who reached out to her despite her initial lack of interest had been thrown into question. It was wrong to kill a person. It was an even greater offense to kill an innocent person. But there were the green players she pitied but couldn't put a face to. And now, the girl who looked at the world with an almost childlike wonder and definitely deserved to outlive this game. 

Was there even a use to thinking about this? 

She couldn't do anything. 
She never did anything.

And suddenly, she was enveloped in her friend's soft embrace. Mishiro's hands remained at her sides. An unusual chill emanated from her armor - where earlier, when they were seated beside each other, it wasn't evident enough to warrant anything more than a second glance; but now, it was as if Jinx had wrapped herself around something almost as cold as an icicle - but Mishiro didn't pull away. And neither did she lean in.

Her words were gentle, reassuring, like the calming lullaby she had always wanted to hear when she was younger. It served to stave off those thoughts for a little while. But what comfort was a lullaby to the violent thunderstorm raging outside the window?

"I don't understand him."

When Jinx released her, she refused to meet her inquisitive gaze. Mishiro pulled herself back to seat herself properly once again, with her hands folded over her lap, and cast her gaze to the rushing river at their side instead. Her voice was more careful, controlled, but it failed to hide her vulnerability.

"I don't think I ever did."

Edited by Mishiro

"You don't have to understand people to like them Mishiro...even when they do dumb things" The girls chest felt tight, she was causing her friend, someone who she held in the highest regard and...she was causing this. She was guilty for this pain her friend was feeling. Mishiro wasn't even looking up at her anymore. Jinx reached out with her hand, before pausing...Did her friend even want...? 

"Does it feel...as if you are caught up in a storm...? As if, you are a passenger on an out of control boat. Completely unable to stop what is happening" Jinx wasn't sure if it was how Mishiro felt, like all the evils of the world were wearing down on her. A tidelwave of pain and suffering slamming into the wall she built up around herself...What kind of person could survive it in one piece...?

Not knowing, a person is...ok. Humans are weird, they're loud and cruel and...always find a way to destroy the very things they are seeking to protect. They're arrogant and selfish..." The girl shook her head, she couldn't....do anything right "But, that's what makes them beautiful in their own way. Despite all their broken pieces, or their weaknesses...they change. They become different, and this...Pinball...Maybe he needs a guide, someone to show him a better path" The girl wasn't sure if the words she wanted were coming out. But Pinball, for all his hopeless flaws...behind the insane smile she saw...was a person who could be saved. 

"No--" That was, perhaps, the first time she disagreed with Jinx on a matter that didn't directly involve either of them. It did concern her, but she felt as if personal beliefs were at play. "--Love is founded on knowledge. Probably there are parts that are out of our control, but it still remains a conscious choice in the end. And how else can we make that decision if we don't know them? Or, in different terms, how are we supposed to make a judgment when we don't even have enough evidence?"

'Love?' It flew over her head, but that had been horribly misleading.

"That might be a bit of an over-exaggeration," Mishiro disagreed with a small shake of her head. On an out of control boat. She wouldn't die if her friend spiraled down any further, at least. Maybe she would be more akin to someone watching the boat sink from a lighthouse. "It isn't my problem. It shouldn't affect me directly."

It shouldn't, but now they were having this conversation and Mishiro knew herself she wasn't acting on pure, detached altruism. 

She felt like she was going on mental circles.

Mishiro did not want to talk about this anymore. It was bad enough that she had to speak to Jinx about it on this day of all times. It was bad enough that she wanted to return to the girl's embrace and cry in frustration. A guide? Perhaps. She made it sound so simple. But he already had his other friends. One year and some few months ago, he suddenly dropped by her cafe - slightly different in demeanor, and promising to do things better this time around - and the only thing she could ever do was to forgive. If anything, she always made things worse.

"We agree on that. Or, at least, I think it's impossible for anyone to be purely evil."

She nodded with an imposed sense of finality and for a moment, that conversation was over. As if to remind them of the reason they came here, the two small familiars burst out of the bushes with delighted squeaks. Bandit hopped over Fou and circled around it playfully - years of running to and fro to hide from hostiles made it the faster between the two - before scampering back to its second master's lap. Mishiro unequipped her gauntlet and occupied herself with stroking the ferret's soft fur.

"I hope he does find one."

And maybe she wouldn't mind if it wasn't her. 

Edited by Mishiro

Jinx's eyes wavered, not from the pain she felt in her chest, but rather, to dislodge a tear she felt sneak up on her. She knew why. She'd always felt weird with emotions, some made no sense to her, but others...others were so deeply intigrated into her system that she...couldn't turn them off. Empathy was one of them, in a twisted way...but the pain she felt, was...She wanted nothing more than to reach out for her friend, to tell her everything would be fine...

But that would be a lie. She had no idea how this entire situation would turn out, with Pinball, with Mishiro...She wouldn't lie to her friend, that simply wasn't in her nature. But still, was there soemthing she could do to...

'Fou" The new familiar leaping into Jinxs' lap caught her completely by surprise. The familiar was panting, having been completely unable to keep up with Bandit. Fou moved as if prepared to take a nap, before looking up at Jinx and Mishiro, and lightly pawed at Mishiro's hand, almost as if she wanted the girl to pet her too. All the while making its noise... 'Fou!' 

"I'm sure he will Mishiro. It is, as you said...No ones heart is black as sin. Nobody is evil, and...he can be saved" Jinx smiled sadly "And its from those we never expect...One of the people who saved me...was the same boy who pointed a gun at me. He became a friend, taught me...about the world. I never asked him to save me, and i'm sure, in my own dumb way....i saved him by mistake. But whoever it is, i'm sure, with all my heart Mishiro...Someone can save Pinball" 

Of course. Mishiro had to let out a small sigh. It was her own logic-- why did she even doubt? Because of the names of the innocent that were now crossed out on the Monument? Because of everyone else's opinion? Because he would let her help? Regardless, no person's heart can be completely black; as long as they possessed free will, there was always the capacity go turn back to the right path. While the need to understand always remained present, this was the other general conclusion she should have focused on. But as long as no one took action... it'll always just remain a small possibility.

Someone can, but not necessarily 'someone will.' He made her leave the first time. He turned and left himself the second. She... likely wasn't going to try a third. But who else knew him and drew the same conclusion? Would anyone? As his friend and the one who had drawn this conclusion, the duty should fall to her--

In her eyes was a spark of a tentative resolve.

"Thank you."

"Fou?"

Bandit snuggled into her lap, as if reminding her of its place as her favorite familiar... and primary recipient of her treats. Looking down at the cute squirrel-like creature, it was clear where Bandit saw a potential threat to its title. Mishiro lifted her hand and softly stroked the small white creature's head. It leaned into her touch. "Fou! Fou!"

She tilted her head. 

"Fou. Fou."

On her lap, Bandit gave a jealous bark.

Edited by Mishiro

Jinx didn't know how to react to Mishiro thanking her. In Alisea's mind, she was forever indebted to the other girl, after all, she wouldn't be alive if not for her. But, she didn't have it in her to reject the gratitude held by her. Instead, she simply watched in silence as Fou was demanding of pats from her friend. Her familiar was a fan of affection it seemed, and Jinx reached out softly. 

Fou reacted almost instantly, giving Mishiros hand a small lick before leaping into Jinx's hand, clambering up her arm and finding solice on the tanks shoulder, settling down and coming down from the lot of running around. Jinx gently stroked her familiars head, and despite it all, felt the smile sneak onto her face. 

"I know we're very different people Mishiro. But someone can save him. It could you anyone, even you or me if he didn't try and kill me. Everyone can be saved. I truly believe in that" Jinx looked up and the sadness, the biting pain in her chest began to disspell. Her smile felt like the sun after a week of stormy weather as the girl petted her familiar. She could feel it stiring within her. Hope.

"Whatever the future may hold for us Mishiro...There is hope for every one of us to change, and i truly believe in it" 

Thread Complete:

Rewards:

Mishiro: 

-1 SP, 200 Col

Jinx: 

-2SP, 200 Col

-Familiar Found: Fou

<Familiar in image + Googling FGO Fou> 

Spoiler

images.png.ef4010e2585566cba3d313de094e1f76.png