[PP-F8] The After Affect (KoB)

It was a nice warm day on the 8th floor of Aincrad when two players who expressed interest in achieving an important rank with in the guild finished their battle. Heathcliff invited both players to come to the temporary base of operations for a debrief. Just before the players arrived, Heathcliff's source messaged him with in depth description of the battle. 

In front of Heathcliff, there was a buffet of food lined up and ready for the players when they arrived. Cups of coffee were at the end of the table as well as other beverages of their choice. There was another table with chairs, and that is what Heathcliff was sitting at while waiting for the players to show up.

"You're spoiling us, Commander," said Azide, as his eyes swept the room, lingering on the generous buffet in particular. His words accompanied by a slight bow of the head, he proceeded to the chair to the right of the armored man, where he took his seat. So, this was Heathcliff? His hands folded, against the table, he glanced sidelong at the man as discreetly as he could manage. He was an imposing specimen, literally up to his neck in crimson plated armor, almost more wall than man. Moreover, a tall stature combined with a pair of sharp eyes and an angled jaw lent the player a fiercely formidable presence, despite the calm air about him at the moment. A far cry from the countless guilds headed by twenty-somethings or even teens, this was a man who seemed fit to lead.

He turned, and with a smile, spoke to his newly adopted leader. "It's an honor to finally meet you in the flesh, sir." But with little more to go on, he found himself at a loss for much more to say; rather than blurting out anything at the risk of tarnishing his first impression, he decided it best to take a moment of pause for the time being. If anything, he could at least take comfort in having changed into the red-and-white colors of the Knights shortly before his arrival.

Opal pinched her thin dark brows towards the center of her honey eyes. At one side of the table was the gleaming crimson of a man she had never met before, but the distance to which she stood from him overcame her in an instant. There was a calm presence, eerie, yet defined and almost friendly. She gulped slowly working her ways towards the now familiar yet entirely new dress of Azide garbed in the colors of white and red. Opal sighed as she confronted the two men, helping herself to a cup of coffee that was placed in line with a buffet of food ranging from anything to everything. She had not seen so much food since Zelrius' Birthday Party. The feminine figure had been dressed in her casual clothing, just a simple woven black turtleneck and a pair of black suede pants. She felt very undressed at the moment as moved towards a seat, only to move the short satin like curtain of hair from her eyes. 

"I'm sorry I am late and that I am not in the colors of our banner. I shall find a tailor soon and get that worked out, I am in need of a new set of light armor as it is. It is a pleasure to see you again, Vice Commander Azide, and you as well Commander Heathcliff. Thank you for hosting this." she bowed her head in greeting to both and placed her cup of coffee on the table along with her hands as she sat down preparing the dark caffeinated drink in front of her. A touch of milk and three sugars later, the black liquid turned caramel and was spooned clockwise to churn the liquid that steamed with a delectable hazelnut aroma. Taking a small sip, she felt the warm liquid coat her throat as she relaxed and peered over the two gentlemen. Once again, the only female here, yet she felt rather safe and comfortable in their company. 

In a mere few minutes, Azide was the first player to show up for the meeting, and was even wearing the guild colors. Shortly thereafter, Opal showed up and wasn't even wearing the guild colors of red and white. Azide formally introduced himself, Pleased to meet you Azide. Please, make yourself at home. I always want to make sure that my members are not starving while in the guild hall. Heathcliff said as he kept a friendly atmosphere so no one would tense up and conflict would break out. I see that you are already in the guild attire. Thank you for that. Starting off the first day on a good note as the newly entitled Vice Commander. Looks like my friend was right about your abilities to stand out and be a leader. The Crimson Knight said as he kept the friendly smile on his face.

Opal then came forward and also introduced herself and even apologized for not having the guild colors on. Pleased to meet you Opal. No need to worry about wearing the guild attire today since I called this meeting on such short notice. Next time please have them on though. I like to keep a high reputation for being organized as well as uniform with all guild members. Heathcliff said as he motioned for both to take a seat at the table. He looked around the room to check for anyone that was not welcomed to this private meeting. He then looked at both players dead in the eye, thus testing their posture and patience, Well let's get down to business, thank you both for coming on such short notice. I take it you both know what the recent duel you did was for. It was to test all combat abilities and my reporter gave me an in depth review. Heathcliff said as he tried not to leak his source. He then pulled up his menu that had the agenda as well as both players character page. Both of you show good promise for the guild and I am happy to have you both. As you now know, Azide is the new Vice Commander. His job description is outlined on the guild page. As for you Ms. Opal, I would like you to go adventure with Azide to further your combat ability so that you can be another leader within the guild. I also want to know if you are better with combat or with finances. We need to find people who want to be guild exclusive merchants. I trust that either of you can deal with that. The man said as he motioned for the players to speak their mind so that he could find out what they think and see how their thoughts can benefit the guild.

The generosity of the Crimson-clad commander, along with the warm, earthy scent wisping from Opal's mug made the idea of coffee a tempting one. "Of course, Commander," he answered, nodding firmly as he rose from his chair and made the short trip over to the buffet table beside their own. He smiled, but did not speak as he passed by Opal while the woman headed in the opposite direction, presumably looking to take a seat.

It was apparent that the leader of the Knights had spared no expense in preparing for this occasion, despite the fact that the three of them alone occupied the current meeting room. He wondered if perhaps there were any other members that were coming- but if there were, then their faces would almost certainly be new to him.

He shook away the thought, figuring that it would be be unnecessary to wonder about these things now- if anybody else were coming, Heathcliff would almost certainly mention the fact. For now, it was the time to be focused on the present, as well as the future- not only of himself, but for the Knights as a whole. In the meantime, his fingers wrapped around the handle of a white and spotless mug, and he lifted the porcelain cup to his face. Taking a deep breath, he took in the comforting aroma of the still-steaming liquid, before returning promptly to his chair. No sugar necessary either- black would do the just fine.

Again, he bowed his head as Heathcliff spoke to him words of praise and commendation. "When I found an excuse to finally update my wardrobe, I'll admit I leapt at the opportunity the first chance I got," he remarked, recalling his most recent visit to his longtime tailor and acquaintance, Ariel. A smile lit his face as the man referred to him by the title of Vice Commander, and although he did his best to keep a straight face, his eyes flashed with pride in spite of it all. He continued, his voice kept conscious level and steady. "I hope only to prove that your friend was not mistaken." 

With a turn, he met the honey-colored eyes of his then-opponent, now guildmate. "Likewise, Opal. The pleasure is mine." As Heathcliff discussed the topic of uniforms with the woman, he reflected on how he was speaking even more formally than usual; something about the man beside him seemed to command it, no matter how inviting his demeanor.

It was then that the man addressed the two of them collectively for the first time, preceding his statements with a piercing stare which reminded Azide of the way a drill sergeant might intimidate a new recruit on the first day; in hindsight, that image did not sound wildly dissimilar to his own situation. Furthermore, the Commander's casual mention of having received a report of the battle was admittedly not unexpected, and yet he couldn't help but wonder how this unseen informant had managed to escape the view of both Opal and himself.

"I'm glad to be of service, Commander Heathcliff," he began, before laying a hand against his chest. "I swear to it that I will give every last inch of my strength to grow our humble ranks." His eyes shifted to lone lady in the room. "And I say this with no implication that your knowledge of our duel is in anyway incomplete, but I'd like to put in a good word for Opal. The young lady is quite skilled and capable with the katana, and I have full confidence in her abilities." Azide turned back to Heathcliff, feeling as if he'd already said a mouthful. "On the issue of finding new people, I would like to ask for permission to lead a recruitment initiative along with Opal, in order to get our name back out on the streets. With the slowing of the Velvet Room, Crimson Blades, as well as the more veteran guilds, I believe the time is ripe to scout for talent. And perhaps, Commander, you might even be able to make an appearance, so as to stir the pot."

Opal had turned slightly red with embarrassment as Commander Heathcliff addressed her as well as pointing out the lack of guild colors on her person. She sighed in defeat and thus their meetings had continued. Slowly taking the porcelain cup to her ruby lips, the woman drank slowly as the contents were still quite hot. She listened and listened well to what the Commander was saying with every intent on remembering from this point forward. Slowly placing the cup down, she placed both arms on the table and leaned forward as she marked off their roles, of course it was Azide next to her who was positioned as Vice Commander. Not only did he have the combat prowess, but there was also that air of leadership as well, he fit the role in her eyes and that was enough. There was a slight twitch in her eye when the Commander had noted their battle and Azide was quick to acknowledge Opal as a competent fighter to the Commander. She had not been expecting the praise from him and almost choked on her coffee. Her fingers helped ease the foundation of her cup and looked to Azide, "Thank you. I might be still in training but I feel as though I have grown exceptionally well in the last two months. I have worked hard to get where I am at now and I fully expect myself to get stronger with each passing day...."

Her words had trailed off to allow the moment of silence for both the Commander and Vice Commander to speak once more, taking up her brew and sipping lightly at the edge while still listening to the on going meeting. Placing it back down, she looked over to Vice Commander Azide and nodded towards Commander Heathcliff, she was fine going out on quests or whatever was needed for them to learn about each other more, "Finances?" she asked at the question. She had not thought  about what the Commander had asked about, she found herself to be more of a warrior than running a business of some kind, but she could very well do both, "No, no. That won't be an issue...I think. I am an alchemist as well, I sort of jumped on that bandwagon when it was becoming a rather popular profession. Although in my defense I am a Chem Major at the college I used to go, so I figured the experience would help me here. However, if you meant something else entirely as finances go, I don't mind taking a shot at it. However if I were to learn between the two I would say I am about seventy-thirty, more leaning on combat. But as I said, I don't mind taking on extra rolls that need to be fulfilled." 

Was she talking too much? She had been mute for the last two weeks keeping mostly to herself since the passing of her Sensei. She rarely talked to anyone anymore making her conversation skills lacking in regards to her earlier persona. Clearing her throat, the Vice Commander had offered up to spearhead a recruitment drive to find possible new members. Opal looked towards Azide and smiled simply shaking her head to agree with helping him on that front. But pointing out that the Commander to come with them, he didn't seem like to just walk randomly among the masses with other people. All in all, they were making some headway with their meeting and it felt good to be part of something. She had long yearned for that feeling only to be torn in half with being in seclusion for so long, her eyes were set downward biting her lower lip lightly remembering the time she was with the Crimson Blades. This time would be different...because she made herself a promise. 

Heathcliff looked at both players as they each took a turn at expressing themselves. Opal seemed confused when "Finances" were mentioned. Don't worry about it then. I will wait to see what the new members, you pick up, can do. He said as he checked the time to make sure the meeting ran according to schedule. Azide mentioned how Opal was a worthy opponent and was singing her praise to an extent. Seems like I may have a positioned suited to you after all Opal. Heathcliff told her and slightly grinned as he said it. However I will make the decision after your recruitment run. He said as he looked back at Azide. Heathcliff looked over the guild page at the vacant slots in the guild leadership, then looked back at both Azide and Opal, Do what you must to grow this guild. Once you have acquired a good number of players, I want you to test their combat ability then followed by some kind of leadership challenge. The Crimson Knight said as he looked at Azide. Sorry but I will have to pass on the town walk-through until we get more players. He told Azide as he looked over the To-Do list. 

Heathcliff carefully examined the two players, I trust that you both know how to represent the guild while you are out on a task... The Paladin said as he motioned for them to get the task underway. I can't wait to see what you two can do in the field. Heathcliff said as he showed his interest in the two players.

The rim of the warm mug was pressed gingerly to his lips as Opal thanked him for his words; the best he could manage to dart his eyes to the young lady in acknowledgement as the rich liquid spilt over the edge and into his awaiting mouth. Opal held promise- that was for sure; not just because she had performed admirably in combat, but seemed to also possess a certain something about her. Perhaps it was loyalty, or dedication. Yes, she had left the Crimson Blades, but even that had been out of loyalty to herself. Opal was not her fallen guildmate, the nameless Crimson Blader from whom she'd adopted the red mantle- rather, she was Opal. If she had found herself, or were finding herself now, then it would only make sense that he give her a nudge in the appropriate direction.

It came as no surprise that his drink was an intensely bitter one, although one tended to get used to the fact when drinking black coffee on even a semi-regular basis. Nonetheless, the coffee warmed him all the same, putting him at ease in the company of his Commander and peer. Azide furrowed his brow as the woman spoke of her major in chemistry- but this hardly seemed like either the time or place to chime in with a chipper, "Wow, you too?" Although he couldn't help but wonder if she too had decided to go into alchemy as a result.

Heathcliff made clear as to what he ought to do upon finding suitable recruits, and Azide nodded in agreement. Combat ability was a given when it came to front-line involvement, but good leadership all the way down would be the key to a flourishing guild. However, he tried not to let his disappoint show as Heathcliff expressed that the time was not right for him to join them; instead, Azide bowed his head. "I understand, Commander. I'll do everything in my power to grow the Knights, so that all of Aincrad might meet the man behind them all."

As the Crimson-dressed man gestured for them to commence, Azide was admittedly a bit taken back- he had not expected for their meeting to come to an end just quite yet. After all, not a single one of them had even touched any of the dishes on the table. Sure, food didn't really expire here in Aincrad, but still... In any case, he nodded a second time, then shot a look at Opal before rising. "Of course, Commander. I think I can speak for both Opal and I when I say that we will aim to make you proud."

Opal sat stirring up the contents of her hazelnut coffee drink and listened to Commander Heathcliff and the details he had inquired of the two of them. The woman's honey eyes fell warm when he addressed Opal in a way of having a position for her in the future but right now it might have to be earned and rather disclosed until further exercises are foretold. There seemed to be an air of silence as the Commander had told them what he had expected of them while they were out doing the recruitment. There was still so much to learn and take in here, and she looked to Azide to make any formal plea to continue the meeting. Their gaze had met and connected, slowly Opal started to rise with the Vice Commander in lead of the movement. He had addressed Commander Heathcliff in the assurance that the two of them would rise to the challenge and go beyond that desire as well. 

"I thank you for the opportunity you have given me personally, Commander. Taking a mid level player into the ranks of the Blood Oaths has indeed spirited me in a way that I have yet to enjoy in a few months. I shall be forever indebted to you." The woman rose a hand to her chest in salute to the Commander, it might not have been necessary but it was now more than necessary to show respect for the man. And those words she had vowed would be thickest of promises she could make to someone. No life, no stain or obstacle shall ever come between her and the Blood Oaths from that point forward. She looked to Vice Commander Azide and nodded to him and more importantly wondered what to do next? Straight outside to the common square and enlist some members? She wore a heavy black turtleneck and was not in the garb of the guild. That would be changed before she goes and parades herself toting for the recruitment of the guild, but perhaps that was best left to the Vice Commander, his knowledge of player's might usurp hers knowing she had been away for more than two months on an isolated mountain. In either case, their mission was given.