[SP-F1] A Time To Train - Addednum:Conundrum, or Why Did I Wake Up Here?

As Brax slowly felt his conscience mind resurfacing, he noticed two odd sensations.  One, his leg registered pain.  A rather large amount of pain.  Two, he was cold.  Why was he cold, if he were sleeping at an inn?  The blankets they had, while not the best, certainly were adept at keeping the chill away.  He reached to pull it up his body, an attempt to warm himself up, but his fingers crunched through something relatively soft that split into several pieces.  'Huh?  Why would my blanket crunch?  What's going on?"  He slowly opened his eyes, the light blinding him momentarily.  Blinking a few times to clear them, Brax immediately sprang awake as he recognized the forest where he had passed out after a hard training session.  His eyes scanned every inch of his surroundings, looking for signs of PKers or monsters, and finding none, he relaxed a little, still on edge but able to rely on the odds that he would not be attacked in the near future.

Edited by Brax

ID 42394

LD 6

Sleep had helped Brax to recover from whatever episode he seemed to have experienced.  'What happened to me?  One moment I was collating my thoughts about my feelings since I began the game, the next I am lying in a makeshift bed of leaves, I assume to hide me from any watchful eyes.  What occurred in the interim, though, and why can I not remember?'  Attempting to stand, Brax stumbled a bit on his wounded leg, gazing down at the bandaged limb in fascination.  He did not even recall properly caring for his wound, much less what had caused it.  Shaking his head as though to free his thoughts, he racked his brain for any available memories that might reveal his situation more clearly to his conscious mind.  Part of him also took in his surroundings again, though his ever watchful looting gaze found nothing of value to behold.

ID 42396

LD 12

He continued to look about the area, both for loot and enemies, though for the moment neither one seemed to appear.  What did appear, however, was vague shadows of his recent encounters, swirling in his head like mist on a lake, soft and ephemeral, barely able to be seen.  He remembered snarling teeth, a few battles, and a dark sensation in his chest, as if something was missing.  'Never before have I been told that my indifferent attitude was dark and evil, though the doctors may have been fearful to tell me so.  Most seem to find it unnerving to interact with a man who acts like a robot, but that's all.  Could it be another extension of my condition, or is it a side effect of the NerveGear treatment?  So many questions, and no time for answers, it seems.'

ID 42397

BD 9

MoBD 4

Wolf HP 2/8

Brax HP 16/16

EN 3/4

2 damage +1 crit x 2 Whirlwind = 6

Brax could not stay inside his head for long.  His senses, which unlike the times before, were on a much higher alert, thanks in part to the unnerving situation he was in, waking up in the middle of the forest.  He heard, rather than saw, the wolf approach from behind him, unaware that he knew about it's shadowy presence.  As it charged at his exposed back, he waited until it could not react, and then with a quick roll avoided the oncoming beast.  Surprise in it's eyes, the animal could only observe as Brax, having prepped his Whirlwind attack while sitting, struck the wolf mid-leap, cutting through it's unraised defenses.  Leaping up, he set himself, ready to strike again if need be.

ID 42398

BD 1

MoBD 6

Wolf HP 2/8

Brax HP 15/16

EN 2/4

3 damage - 5 MIT = -2(1 minimum)

The wolf recovered itself, as well, and with an angry growl leapt at Brax again, trying to correct it's previous error.  Brax attempted to attack as well, but after a blow of his earlier magnitude, coupled with the fact that he was still slightly disoriented from his impromptu nap, the animal easily dodged, raking claws striking the left side of his breastplate.  The beast came to a stop behind Brax, confused as to why there was no blood gushing from the wound, while Brax mirrored the wolf's confusion a little as well.  Banishing the question for the time being, he started to prep another attack, knowing that he needed to end the battle now, for his thoughts were becoming much too distracting for his liking.

ID 42399

BD 6

LD 6

MoBD 1

Wolf HP 0/8 Defeated!

Brax HP 15/16

EN 2/4

2 damage

+1 material

Eyeing each other, the two combatants circled their perceived arena, looking for the right opportunity to end the conflict.  The creature, it's eyes aglow, sought a weakness in Brax's defenses that did not seem to be there.  Brax, on the other hand, saw much with his observational skills, and with a feint to the left to draw the wolf's attention, he charged to the right, bringing his weapon across his body as if to activate Whirlwind, though he changed the angle enough that his attack wasn't caught in the move by the system.  After picking up the beast's proffered loot, he sheathed his weapon betwixt his shoulders, beginning to make his way back to the city.  Perhaps he could continue his thoughts there, where it would be safer to lose one's mind.  The joke garnered a wan smile from him, given his mental patient status.

ID 42435

LD 18

As he began to exit the forest, Brax saw another crafting supply nestled near the roots of an old tree.  Picking it up, he chose not to chase down the many questions circling in his head, as he was wont to do.  Instead, he quickened his pace, not running exactly, but rather close.  This wasn't like before, when he ran from despair; he believed that it was running towards his opportunity to properly address his concerns.

Brax HP 15/16 1/3 out of combat healing

EN 3/4

+1 material

Edited by Brax

ID 42436

LD 17

Lady luck, it seemed, had given him her favor.  Whereas before, he had trouble finding adequate resources, as he made his way back to town, things he could sell to crafters were popping out of the woodwork.  He again spotted something shiny along the well-worn path, and maintaining his brisk pace, Brax scooped it up and placed it in his pocket.  He barely even noticed a nearby adventurer, cheering at their first kill, a sight that normally would at least alert him to someone who might aid him in the future.

Brax HP 15/16 2/3 out of combat healing

EN 4/4

+1 material

Edited by Brax

ID 42437

LD 15

Another pasture crossed, another quick once-over, another material gained.  He briefly wondered if this was the game odds tilting in the retreating player's favor, dismissing the idea immediately as he needed all of his attention focused on the journey back, to a place he could quietly reflect on all that was going on.  Unfortunately, the Lady was poised to abandon him, and quite suddenly, too.

Brax HP 16/16 3/3 out of combat healing!

EN 4/4

+1 material

Edited by Brax

ID 42438

BD 6

MoBD 5

Boar 1 HP 6/8

Boar 2 HP 8/8

Brax HP 16/16

EN 4/4

2 damage total

As he crested the next hill, he saw not one, but two rather large boars, at least to a lvl4 like him, blocking his path.  "I do not have time for this," he spoke aloud, voicing his thoughts as a way to excise them from his body.  Drawing his axe, yet never slowing down, he surprised the beast with his attack, causing them to miss him with their retaliatory strikes, not that they could have done much damage to him, not if their canine cousin couldn't lay much of a finger on his armor.

ID 42439

LD 18

MoBD 1

Boar 1 HP 6/8

Boar 2 HP 8/8

Brax HP 16/16

EN 4/4

Spying a glint on the ground behind the twin boars, he saw that his attack had seemingly sheared off a significant amount of fur, useful fur, and he knew that as long as the RNG favored him with it's plentiful odds, he would not say no.  He jumped over both creatures, dodging their clumsy attacks, and grabbed the loot before it could vanish.  Placing the treasure in his pack, he turned to face his prey, as they cleared the bulk of their confusion, and snorted their intentions to take this fight to the next level.

+1 material

ID 42446

BD 1

MoBD 9

Boar 1 HP 6/8

Boar 2 HP 8/8

Brax HP 14/16

EN 3/4

6 damage (3damage +3 damage) + 2 crit (1crit + 1crit) - 10MIT[(5MIT + 5MIT) x 2 attacks] = -2(2 damage minimum)

The boars, having shaken off their nerves, came at Brax fast, roaring their combined displeasure.  Brax prepared his Whirlwind, setting his axe in position, but as he stepped forward to deliver the blow, his damaged leg crumpled underneath him, dropping him to the ground.  On his knees, Brax could only raise his weapon in a vain attempt to protect himself as the beasts struck him full-bore (OOC - Tee Hee! :)).  He held firm, though, and the animals could only snarl their confusion as, with a great exhalation of breath, tossed both of them back several feet in retreat.  'Aha!' he exclaimed in his head, 'This must be my new armor mitigation skill, deafening the blows to a fraction of their strength.  Intriguing.'

ID 42447

BD 7

MoBD 3

Boar 1 HP 2/8

Boar 2 HP 8/8

Brax HP 14/16

EN 2/4

2 damage x 2 Whirlwind = 4 damage

Rising up from the earthen floor, Brax again prepped his Whirlwind attack, testing his leg for a brief moment to make sure he could follow through.  Satisfied with his body's response, Brax charged the boars again, bringing the axe into play and striking the damaged one with all the power he could muster.  While the second shockwave only damaged one of them, however, it's concussive force was enough to blow both of them apart and interrupt whatever sort of counter-strike they might have had in mind.  'Divide and conquer,' Brax mused.  'Time, then, to conquer.'

ID 42448

BD 7

MoBD 8

Boar 1 HP 0/8 Defeated!

Boar 2 HP 8/8

Brax HP 13/16

EN 2/4

2 damage Brax

3 damage - 5MIT = -2(1 minimum)

Brax wanted to make sure to at least remove one monster from the field.  'The better to concentrate on the one left behind.'  As both animals rushed at him, he struck out at the first one, and injured as it was, it vanished quickly into a pixel mist after his attack.  The other one did manage to hit Brax, since with his attention focused on it's twin, he could not truly dodge.  Brax shrugged off the attack, though, as his MIT managed to sustain him much more than he had expected.  Rebuffed again, the remaining monster began a long circle, the better to strike with the full force of it's power.

Edited by Brax

ID 42449

MoBD 2

Boar 1 HP 0/8

Boar 2 HP 8/8

Brax HP 13/16

EN 3/4

Brax chose to ignore his primary instinct, which was to again strike out and attack his enemy.  He wanted to let his energy rebuild itself, knowing that he may need the power later, if he again ran into trouble on his way back to town.  It also gave him a chance to better study his opponent's moves, and to observe any weakness in it's attacks, such as now.  The boar's circle had completed, bringing it back for what it thought was a powerful strike, but Brax, having spent his chance seeing the creature's pattern, easily leapt out of the way, and knew that the battle had come to an end.

Edited by Brax

ID 42450

BD 10

LD 9

MoBD 6

Boar 1 HP 0/8

Boar 2 HP 0/8 Defeated!

Brax HP 13/16

EN 2/4

2 damage + 2 crit x 2 Whirlwind = 8

+2 materials

As he landed lightly on his feet after dodging, Brax set his axe to the side, for he knew that he would get no better chance than now to end this fight.  The animal had just blazed past him, and was wide open, like a lamb just before the slaughter.  He observed everything next as if it were in slow-motion: the Whirlwind prepped, the boar's angry, yet surprised look, the weapon's sideways strike into the flank of the beast, and the pixelated shower of it's demise.  Time sped back up as he grabbed the loot, and he again started up his pacing to the town, slowing down only slightly so as to avoid a confrontation like this one, though he did have to admit, his completion of the test against two creatures, not just one, had given him no cause for any concern, slight or otherwise.

Edited by Brax

ID 42476

LD 9

Slowing his pace seemed to do the trick.  Brax was able to avoid most of the remaining enemies on the long stretch back towards home, or what most on this floor would consider home.  Not that he felt at home anywhere, really.  'No, not right now, wait until you reach the gates,' Brax quickly thought, 'wait until we can be safe before indulging.'  He scanned the countryside again, and finding nothing suitable for crafting, continued on towards his goal of safety.

ID 42777

LD 5

Finally, he had reached the gates to Starting Town.  Peering outside the wall for a moment, he heaved a small sigh of relief, as much as he could feel, anyway, and squashed his light irritation at not finding anything notable.  He knew, though, that now came the hard part.  'First, a first aid station.  My leg needs attention.'  He would need to be practical to start, before he could contemplate what had happened out there.  He found a good location, a station of a lvl15 support player, who had set up shop to repair minor injuries to players in need.  She ran the "clinic" free of charge, stating that she only wanted to make sure everyone survived the first floor, at the very least.

ID 42778

LD 3

While waiting in line to have his leg treated, his mind finally felt free to turn over all of his thoughts for intimate perusal.  Without the danger of attacks looming over his shoulder, his mind ran far away with part of his sanity, commandeering it for the express purpose of divining the nature of his current problems.  His more rational side occupied itself with a more mundane task, specifically looking for materials.  It scanned the floor of the "clinic" looking for any damaged kits that might have fallen by the wayside, but the nurses were meticulous: the place was one of the cleanest he had seen in all of Aincrad.

ID 42779

LD 8

"So, miss, tell me: do you all craft your own supplies here?"  As one of the caretakers on staff attended his wounds, Brax couldn't help but ask a question regarding their excellent medicinal salves, especially how it felt as it worked on his leg.  "Unfortunately, no, most of the high end alchemists in the game make money off on their wares, except for one.  She has a cabin on the 4th floor, and while she sells things too, she also has a good heart and donates a lot of her lower end stuff to anyone who needs it.  That, combined with budding alchemist's wanting to get their names out there, provides all of the potions and salves we stock."  'So, no chance of finding any crafting supplies here at all.  Not unexpected,' Brax thought.  "What is this alchemist's name?  I think that soon, I will need to start stocking up."  "Her name?  I only know the name of her shop, Zandra's Pharmacy.  A good girl, she should give you a fair price for her wares, but before that, let's get you fixed up.  Can't have you going into battle on a busted leg."

Hospitality, a foreign concept to Brax.  While he understood the idea of it, without the emotional meaning, he would never fully comprehend it.  It seemed every nurse he'd encountered had it, though, like Randi and the girl helping him now.  Perhaps this Zandra would possess it, too.  'The kindness of strangers,' Brax mused again.  'For every dark purpose in a person's soul, there is a shining light in another's.  I wonder if there is a light in me, as well.'  He pondered all this, and knew that it would soon be time to confront all his problems, mental or otherwise.

Edited by Brax