SP-F2 - A Time To Train - Learning How To Take A Hit - Complete

In need of more training, 'The better to build up my strength,' Brax once again dove into the forested regions of Floor 2.  This time, though, he was prepared.  He had purchased some new equipment, a few new pieces of jewelry, that promised to aid him in his training regimen.  The monsters here would provide decent enough fodder to test his new strength, and would afford him materials to power up further.  In addition, the memory of the Pactogonal Knights still burned in his mind, further driving him to find any clues as to what they had to do with his past, and how they could shape his future.

Edited by Brax

ID 42846

Spoiler

BD 3 +3 ACC

MoBD 8 -1 EVA

Nepent HP 8/12

Brax HP 23/24

EN 5/6

6 damage - 5 MIT = 1

2 damage x 2 Whirlwind = 4

His entrance into the forest did not go unnoticed.  Moments after Brax stepped foot into the lush groves, he was beset by one of the vicious plant creatures that populated the area.  He felt the sting of the beast's tendrils, though his training gave him the ability to mostly ignore the attack; Brax instead set his axe into position, prepping a Whirlwind and letting it fly, blowing the living plant back further into the forest.  It roared at him, it's displeasure at being struck apparent in the angry waving of it's tendrils.  The match had begun, the opening moves signaling battle.

Edited by Brax

ID 42847

Spoiler

BD 3 + 3 ACC

MoBD 10 (-1 EVA N/A)

Nepent HP 4/12

Brax HP 20/24

EN 4/6

6 damage + 2 crit - 5 MIT = 3

Brax circled the volatile plant, looking for another opening for him to strike.  The Nepent stayed relatively still, however, as Nepents were wont to do, it's only movements involving the twisting vines barbed for battle.  It lashed out quickly, catching Brax off-guard, and as he tried to dodge, two waving arms struck him square in the chest.  His armor training kept most of the damage at bay, but the force of it did cause more damage on account of him being ill prepared.  Brax's response, however, was swift and sure.  Flying through the air, he managed a quick Whirlwind back at the offending vines, slicing clean through and dealing a decent blow to the creature, who howled in pain at the assault.

Edited by Brax

ID 42848

Spoiler

LD 15

MoBD 1

Nepent HP 4/12

Brax HP 20/24

EN 5/6

Rolling into his landing, Brax completed a quick survey of the battlefield in case the creature attacked again.  However, the Nepent seemed locked into it's painful spasms following his recent weed wacking.  Looking at the severed vines, Brax saw that the clean cuts he had delivered had left the tendrils relatively unspoiled, suitable for an alchemist's potion crafting.  Quickly putting the materials into his pack, he brought his axe up, ready to deliver a final killing blow to the green beast.

+1 material

Edited by Brax

ID 42849

Spoiler

BD 4 + 3 ACC

LD 20

MoBD 6 -1 EVA

Nepent HP 0/12 Defeated!

Brax HP 20/24

EN 4/6

Rushing the Nepent as it continued to thrash about, Brax brought his Whirlwind to bear upon it's head, the double strike dealing just enough damage to end it's existence.  There was little time to rest, though.  He knew that there would be more monsters out there, more to test his endurance.  Gathering up the fallen loot, Brax made his way deeper into the bowels of the lush greenery, intent on pushing his limits as far as he could.

+2 materials

+60 col

Edited by Brax

ID 42850

Spoiler

BD 4 +3

MoBD 5 -1 EVA

Wolf HP 10/12

Brax HP 20/24

EN 4/6

2 damage

He did not have to look far for his next piece of prey.  A silent wolf was keeping an eye on his fight with the dreadful Nepent, keen on striking when his opponent was weakened.  Unfortunately for the animal, Brax noticed it almost immediately, gliding out of the way just as it emerged from the shadows to attack, missing by a wide margin.  As he spun to avoid the sneak attack, Brax brought his axe up for a circular blow, cutting a line across the beast's hide, and after ending the move, faced the wolf ready for more.  Hate filled eyes stared back, tinged red in their fury.

Edited by Brax

ID 42869

Spoiler

BD 8 +3 ACC

MoBD 1 -1 EVA N/A

Wolf HP 8/12

Brax HP 20/24

EN 4/6

2 damage

Anger evident in it's gaze, the wolf attempted to strike again, but for some reason it's movements were wild and unfocused, perhaps due to the rage clouding it's eyes.  Brax easily avoided the clumsy attack, another spin move cutting a line of crimson pixels across the creature's flank, drawing from it a second pain-filled howl.  Showing an unexpected lightness on his feet, Brax danced around the beast, feeling an energy in his steps that needed release, most likely into his next attack.

ID 42870

Spoiler

BD 10 +3 ACC N/A

LD 19

MoBD 3 -1 EVA

Wolf HP 0/12 Defeated!

Brax HP 20/24

EN 3/6

2 damage + 2crit x 2 Whirlwind = 8

Brax could feel the energy in his steps pervade his entire body.  It filled him, seeping out of his pores.  He wondered at the sensation, wondering if it could be a new emotion brewing, but the tingling inside demanded release, not contemplation.  He channeled it into his hands, setting up a Whirlwind attack whilst still avoiding the wolf's final assault.  Finally, he planted his stance and struck, delivering the blow with all the pent up energy exploding out of him, sending the beast flying back.  As the secondary shockwave blew through it's frame, he saw the animal explode like others before it, leaving behind a sizable amount of loot, which he scooped up before resuming his training regimen.

+2 materials

+60 col

ID 42878

LD 8

Taking a moment to rest, Brax knew that while he could continue to train, he would need a respite.  But, that did not mean he would be confined to a resting place on the forest floor.  He could still train his eyes, keeping a sharp lookout for anything suitably craft worthy.  Unfortunately, his sharp eyes spotted nothing available.  He turned to leave the area, stretching his sore muscles from the back to back battles, believing that the next location would hold some promise.

ID 42879

LD 18

And he was right.  Nestled in the boughs of a tall tree, the materials called out to Brax like a siren to sailors.  He ascended to the top branches, grasping the proffered treat and placed it inside his pack.  Looking around for more, he allowed his thoughts to slightly wander while perched securely in the wide and majestic plant.  'The Pactogonal Knights.  Sir Render, Sir Junn, Sir Vay, Sir Loin, all pun filled names, but completely honorable and trustworthy.  Bound by the same code of Knighthood that ties every knight across history together, they uphold justice in the kingdom of Swordhaven.  Why do I remember them?  They can't be real, such things do not exist in our modern world today, so far as I know.  But were would I have been exposed to the idea?'

+1 material

Edited by Brax

ID 42880

LD 20

Picking up another mat from the branches, Brax continued: 'It must have to do with my job.  Or rather, my old job.  If I wasn't in some backwoods medieval European town, still clinging to anachronistic ideas of knighthood and chivalry, then I must have worked for a game company that was involved with designing the Knights.  Too bad we don't have access to the outside world, or I could just google them and been done with it.  Here, in this world, I imagine I will have to find someone aware of them, and question them mercilessly.  Maybe after training, I shall check the message boards, see if others understand the reference.'

+1 material

Edited by Brax

ID 42881

Perched in his tree, Brax scouted out the next course for his battle-axe's training meal - a wolf casually wandering underneath the tropical canopy.  Brax eyed the beast carefully, getting into position to attack while maintaining his hiding place amongst the branches.  Feeling the power of Whirlwind gather at the end of his weapon, he waited until the creature made it's way underneath his tree, and when the moment was right, leapt out and struck the wolf with his Whirlwind.  Thrashing about, the animal managed to land a hit, but his armor skill absorbed most of the damage.

Spoiler

BD 7 +3 ACC

MoBD 7 -1 EVA

Wolf HP 8/12

Brax HP 22/24

EN 5/6

6 damage - 5 MIT = 1

Edited by Brax

ID 42882

Brax landed relatively lightly after his previous attack and, spinning to face the snarling wolf, sought to follow up with another hard hit.  As he landed, Brax prepped another quick Whirlwind, and on the spin, dealt the attack full force into the animal.  The speed of his attack, coupled with it's normal hard hitting power, blew the creature back, interrupting any sort of counter it could have mustered up.  Brax was learning at a seeming exponential rate how to chain his hits together, and how to combo them for greater damage.  He knew the next attack would put the nail in the coffin for this wolf's fate.

Spoiler

B D 7 +3 ACC

MoBD 5 -1 EVA

Wolf HP 4/12

Brax HP 22/24

EN 4/6

Edited by Brax

ID 42883

Rushing forward, Brax did not give the beast a chance to recover.  Even as the wolf shook it's head and tried to recover, Brax ran at him with another Whirlwind in tow.  Striking twice in quick succession, he defeated the wolf without taking undue damage.  It was one of his fastest fights yet, at least when his raw power was not on display.  He gathered the animal's dropped loot into his satchel, and noticed a piece of armor on the ground, 'the result of the system's RNG,' he assumed.  A pair of heavy metal greaves, which he dubbed "The Greaves of Sir Loin" as a part of his Pactogonal Armor Set he was collecting, was equipped as soon as possible, giving him the rare chance of displaying a satisfied smile.

Spoiler

BD 7 +3 ACC

LD 14

MoBD 2 -1 EVA

Enemy HP 0/12 Defeated!

Brax HP 22/24

EN 3/6

+Greaves of Sir Loin

+1 material

Edited by Brax

ID 42902

LD 17

Brax felt invigorated by his success, energized by his skills in battle.  He felt himself moving more assuredly, and felt the odds more in his favor as his technique progressed.  'The new pieces are quite...powerful, to say the least,' he mused to himself.  'Both objects, though a bit gaudy for my simple tastes, are exactly what I required at the moment.  By improving my accuracy in battle, I find my focus can shift towards strategy and counter moves.  And with the grace afforded by the Epitaph, I am moving much more fluidly in combat, improving my reaction times.  If I did not know any better, I would assume I feel...excited by future combat.  How fascinating.'  A glint caught the corner of his eye, and reaching down, Brax found another material to gather, possibly dropped by another wandering adventurer.

+1 material

ID 42903

Spoiler

BD 2 +3 ACC

MobD 10 -1 EVA N/A

Black Bear HP 12/12

Brax HP 19/24

EN 5/6

6 damage + 2crit - 5 MIT = 3

His wandering eye and energized attitude betrayed him.  After pocketing the found loot, Brax was attacked, forcefully battering him to the forest floor.  Twisting around and jumping to his feet, he saw and hear the young black bear bellowing it's murderous intent, snuffling and snorting as it raised to it's full height upon it's powerful hind legs, towering over Brax.  He did not chastise himself like before, though; he steeled his thoughts to the fight ahead, bringing his hefty weapon to bear.

ID 42904

Spoiler

BD 7 +3 ACC

MoBD 3 -1 EVA

Black Bear HP 8/12

Brax HP 19/24

EN 4/6

Strong as the bear seemed to be, it did not move particularly well.  Brax was easily able to avoid it's powerful slashes, ducking and diving under each one, all the while gathering enough energy to unleash a Whirlwind.  Skidding out from under the most recent swipe of the creature's paw, he struck back hard, opening up a red line of pixels alongside the beast's hairy flank.  Roaring it's displeasure, the bear could do nothing more than thrash blindly, pain distorting it's sense of reason.  It could feel the life blood slipping away, and tried one final time to devour it's unruly enemy.

Edited by Brax

ID 42905

Spoiler

BD 3 +3 ACC

MoBD 9 -1 EVA N/A

Black Bear HP 4/12

Brax HP 17/24

EN 3/6

6 damage + 1crit - 5 MIT = 2

Brax saw the attack coming as if in slow motion.  It appeared, however, that his Epitaph had reached the limit on how much it would improve his reflexes.  Unable to avoid the devastating attack, Brax nevertheless managed to endure and counter attack, his energetic Whirlwind landing a powerful blow.  Having been thrown quite a distance away by the bear's strike, he was still able to watch the creature amble around in writhing agony before slamming roughly into the hard ground.  Getting up and seeing the confused dying spasms of the beast, he stalked on, with the intent on ending the pixelated monster's life.

Edited by Brax

ID 42906

Spoiler

BD 4 +3 ACC

LD 15

MoBD 5 -1 EVA

Black Bear HP 0/12 Defeated!

Brax HP 19/24

EN 2/6

Brax raised his axe high, and having already powered up a final Whirlwind, brought the head of his weapon down upon the bear, watching as the pixelated shower surrounded his panting form.  After the fog of battle dissipated, he noticed again the luck of the RNG: another piece of armor awaited him, a pair of heavy boots with a high shin guard attached, appearing much like a fashionable, yet practical looking metal boot.  Pick them up and equipping them, he further dubbed them as the High Boots of Sir Prize, in honor or the Pactogonal Knight known for his hijinks and general sneakiness.

+High Boots of Sir Prize

+1 material

Edited by Brax

ID 42907

LD 4

Looking about the battlefield for more loot, and finding none, Brax felt his pride returning.  After several hard hitting battles, he still remained standing.  To be sure, these enemies were simple and lacked any true mitigation properties, and he objectively understood that moving forward he would be facing tougher foes, but he would be prepared.  As the self-styled Pactogonal Knight looked out over the forest, he felt ready to confront all challenges, and would soon be given a chance to prove it.

Edited by Brax