(SP-F1) Earning a Living (Quest)-FINISHED-

I walked the streets of the Starting City, taking in the sights. Many shops and stalls lined the cobblestone roads, selling everything from food and equipment, to clothes and fishing supplies.

"I should become a Merchant." I decided. "I'll be able to sell anything I find while traveling."

I rounded the corner and walked up to a smaller stand run by a man who I could tell wasn't an NPC. He wore a light green tunic and a long staff was hooked on his back. His long, messy red hair was too bright to be real. No doubt he colored it that way.

"Hey, I've got questions." I called as I stopped at his booth.

"Oh? What can I help you with?"

"I would like to become a Merchant like you, how did you become one?"

He looked at me...no...he studied me, like a butcher deciding if a cow was ready for slaughter. After a while, he smiled.

"You become a Merchant by buying the special gear in a shop down by the courtyard." He explained.

Really? That was all it took? I guess this would be easier than I thought.

He read my face. "But only another Merchant can buy it for you, and you'll have to prove to me you are strong enough to survive being one first."

Hmph. I should have guessed...

So I found myself in the fields outside the city, having this merchant, who introduced himself as Brian, watch from the sidelines at my fighting skills. He explained that being a merchant meant going into dangerous areas to find the best loot, so I would have to be strong enough to fend for myself.

"Remember, you will have to do this in order to get the more expensive items. Some spawn only once, so you will need to be quick, and deadly." He coached as I defeated another pig.

"How many more boars do I need to kill before I pass your test?" I was getting annoyed at tthe time I was wasting proving myself to this guy.

"Since you seem so confident, how about we head to a small cave nearby and grab one of those more expensive treasures I mentioned? That would prove to me you can handle being a Merchant."

"Alright, let's do this quickly."

The two of us headed north and stopped at the opening to the cave. It was big, with long pillars along the ground. A foul smell wafted up as we neared.

"Ok, it's a pretty big system, but don't take to long down there. More creatures spawn at night."

"You say it like you're not coming with."

"That's because I'm not! This is your test. You have to survive...or die...yourself."

What a jerk. I thought as I took a deep breath and delved into the large entrance. I used the sunlight for as long as I could, but eventually, only the light from some glowing bugs allowed me to see. Water fell down from the ceiling at places, and the rocks under my feet were slick.

I definitely don't want to be here at night.

I pushed further into the dark cave until I heard claws scraping against rock ahead of me. I dropped down and cautiously crept forward. A large bug stood with it's back to me. It was pale white, since it spent it's life underground. Huge razor sharp claws were at the end of all six of it's hairy legs. It gave me the creeps.

If I am quiet, I can sneak up on it.

I examined my target. This was no longer a computer mob. I had to treat this like a real thing. There was a small space between it's overlapping shell. I could place my blade there and knock it out easily. But it wouldn't be easy. I drew my sword, a curve scimitar, and slowly sneaked up, and then jumped, aiming for that small target.

(1-5) Misses

(6-10) A Direct Hit

My strike lands just to the right. The beast shrieked and knocked me off. It was even more hideous up close. Two black, emotionless eyes took me in and shrieked again, it's breath making my eyes sting. It was called a Frenzied Mantis Lurker, and it was one of the more powerful creatures on floor one. I smirked.

"Game on, beastie."

I brought the blade up, and as the bug came barreling forward, I moved just to the left, slashing to my side.

(Evens) A Good Hit, 1/3 Hp Gone

(Odds) A Poor Hit, Little Damage

It was a poor slash, but man was it cool looking! The mantis slid into the side of the tunnel, and looked visibly shaken at the impact.

That's it! I'll send it running into walls and attack as it recovers.

I threw a rock at it. It snarled and ran at me again. I let it get close, and did as I did before. The rocks shook as it slammed against the side.

"Now!" I ran forward and came down with three broad slashes to it's side. It let out another loud noise and swung a leg at me, catching me off guard and throwing me to the ground I looked up as it came again in another blind charge.

(1-5) Don't Recover Fast Enough

(6-10) Lifts The Sword Up

I brought up my blade as it was within distance. Unable t stop, it's head went right to my sword, and after skidding at the impact, I reversed my grip and forced the weapon down to the ground. The thing's HP depleted rapidly, and after a few moments the shining light of shattered glass temporarily blinded me.

That was disgusting. I grimaced as I swung the blade from side to side and stowed it in the folds of my cloak.

After walking on for a ways without seeing much, I wandered into a large opening. And not a moment to soon, I was starting to get cramped in the tunnels. Weak rays of sunlight were a welcomed sight as I looked about. Large boulders were scattered around, and the ground was patted down, as if many feet had walked upon it. I would not want to be on the ground in a moment, for the time was closing night, and it was obvious many things spawned here.

Better hurry then. I walked forward with the slipping time on my mind.

My boots sunk into the ground a little as I worked my way around the massive boulders. This was not a good position to be in at the moment. Carefully skirting the edges, I saw a smal pocket in the far wall. A small chest was barely visible in the shaded hole.

"Bingo."

I made my way over, and after checking for any traps, I slowly opened the box. The only item inside the menu that came up was a small golden scale. It was shaped like a flattened football, and glinted in the fading light. It was definitely the rare item Brian wanted. I stowed it away and turned to hear chittering and little squeaking. The light was all but gone, and I was in the worst place to be when they entered.

But where to go?! I looked frantically for higher ground, but the only solid ground was were I was right now, everything else was covered in sand with huge...

I looked at the boulders. The one nearest me was smaller than the rest...

I jumped over to the closest rock. My hands slid a little, but I got a grip and pulled myself up. As I did, more large bugs came down from holes in the walls, and in no time, the whole area was covered in disgusting creatures. But they did not attack they scuttled around, bumping into walls and eachother. They worked on hearing alone, and were completely blind.

I have to go from boulder to boulder without falling, or else be food.

I lept forward onto the next rock. The bugs heard me and started searching for me voraciously, but didn't climb up where I was. I picked my next landing zone and jumped with all my might.

(1-3) Miss

(4-6) Miss And Slam Into Boulder

(7-9) Land Barely

(10) No Problems

I landed awkwardly, nearly falling off, but I twisted my body and steadied myself. The large bugs all around me were running around, searching for me should I fall. I couldn't let that happen. I continued from perch point to perch point, drawing ever nearer to my exit, till only one more boulder was between me and the arch over the tunnel out.

Just one more...what could possibly go wrong?

I thought over my own words and got a teleport crystal ready, should something happen. I'd only use it if I fell, for those things were expensive. I was not going to make the mistake of not having a plan B. I took a breath, and jumped for the last rock, hoping I was more nimble than I felt.

(Evens) Miss

(Odds) Safe

I landed perfectly, much to my surprise. I had figured I would mess up right at the end.

You shouldn't doubt yourself like that.

As I smiled at my own good luck, I lost my footing, and landed hard onto the sandy floor. The entire room was dead silent, then the sound like rampaging bulls resounded off the stone walls. I had alerted the whole swarm that I was a sitting duck. I stood as at least ten beasts rounded a boulder and headed straight for me. I did what any brave soul would have done. I turned and ran as fast as I could.

Ohgodohgodohgod...

I made it through the tunnel exit seconds in front of a murderous swarm of killer bugs. My luck had officially ran out.

I sprinted half blind through the tunnels, hearing a wave of clicking and shrill cries behind me.

"If I make it out of this, I am going to kill Brian." I swore as I continued to run for my life. I took the crystal in my hand and shouted the command words, but nothing happened. The entire cave was a no crystal zone, or at least, a no teleport crystal zone. In any case, I was not very happy for this revelation.

Rounded a bend, I saw the grass from the front of the cave, and felt relieved.

I'm going to make it!

But seconds before reaching the end, I felt a stringy web wrap my legs, and I fell hard to the ground.

One of the many insects had spit out a web of sticky go, and I was immobilized at the mouth of the cave. Brian was nowhere to be seen. As I struggled, the swarm was closing in on their target. I rolled to my stomach and inched my way forward. If i could only get outside the actual cave, I could use the crystal still in my hand. I continued to worm my towards the exit.

Come on! Come on!

I fell under the light of the full moon just as the mass of bugs was right on me. A loud purple explosion sounded, and the force was enough to send me rolling into the grass. The webs around me where gone. I got up to see the monsters crowding the exit, but not stepping out. A purple barrier was over the mouth of the cave.

They can't leave the caves.

I brushed off my sleeves, brought my hood over my head, and walked briskly towards town. Brian was going to have to answer for this.

The road back was without problems. I made it back just as midnight fell. I checked the shop, but as I figured it was closed.

He must be at an inn sleepng. And while knowing what was in that cave!

He expected me to die in there and he would go later to claim the loot in the morning. Very clever. But he will have to compensate for tricking me like that. But what?

I used the player finder to see thathe was in a small tavern, and still active. I quicken my pace as I neared the building. It was all wooden, with small windows giving off yellow light onto the empty street. Laughter was faintly audible from inside. I cracked my knuckles, and shoved the door open, bringing a cold breeze in with me.

"Brian!"

The few tables that had patrons all stopped and whirled around towards me. Brian, who had been laughing with some friends, suddenly went pale at the sight of me standing in the door.

"Hey...you're alive! I mean...you're finally here!"

I marched straight up to him and punched his face. The system stopped me, but the force was still enough to send him to the ground. He hastily got up and backed up slowly.

"You left me for dead!" I swung again, forcing him to a wall.

"Hey man , I knew you would...that you could..." He was grasping at straws.

"Outside, now!" I grabbed him by the collar and dragged him out the door, into the empty streets.

• 1 month later...

We were on the deserted street outside. Brian's buddies followed us out, but hesitated to help. They were scared of me, and they had every right to be.

"Alright, I did expect you to die. I was going to go back in a few hours and collect anything you dropped."

"Yeah, I got that part already, but what I don't understand is why."

"Why? Because this is a game bro! Nobody dies in here!"

"But the announcement..."

"They just said that to make it more intense. Of course it's fake."

"Willing to bet on that?" I asked coldly, opening the menu and selecting <>. He looked at the pop-up he received.

""I'll put you in your place, kid." And he accepted.

"You realize you won't get the chance to prove me wrong, as the dual is set to first one to yellow, right?" He asked as he drew his weapon.

"Lucky for you." I returned, bringing my scimitar up.

Brian's friends cheered him on, but they kept looking at me. The look on their faces told me they had little faith in him. The clock ran out, and I charged forward, my blade over my shoulder. Brian brought up his mace, and swung down, looking very sure of himself.

(1) Brian Gets A Good Hit

(2-10) I Guess His Move

I knew you would do that.

My sword easily blocked the blow. Brian staggered, and I wouldn't let him get a second chance. My blade was a blur, and red gashes multiplied rapidly, glowing faintly. In moments, he was close to yellow. I spun once and yelled as I sent him flying into the side of a building.

The match was over. Brian got up slowly, rubbing his head. His friends were nowhere to be seen. They must have ran off. I removed my blade, and turned, walking away.

"You better hope you don't find me outside a town."

But this was an empty threat. I wouldn't kill him. But I had to make sure he wouldn't try to do the same thing he did to me with another kid. They might not be so lucky. And judging by his terrified face, I was confident I did the job.

Now to finish what I started.

I worked my way back to the market. Most shops were closed, but NPC shops ran all night. Looking around, I found what I was looking for. A small stall. It was tucked into a corner, barely seen from the street. It was a recruitment booth for becoming a Merchant. Had I looked around more, I wouldn't have had to talk to Brian. But then I wouldn't have gained a level form the experience, so it sort of evened out.

"Hello." I greeted the man at the booth.

"Hey! You wish to become one of the traveling salesmen that hunt for treasures, and then sell them to the highest buyer?"

"Sure. Do you need anything for it? A boar's hide or something?"

--END--