[PP-F1] Secret Medicine in the Forest, with Zelrius

If there was one aspect that Yunalesca--or just Yuna for short--knew about gaming it was that level mattered, and right now she was at the lowest level possible. That needed to be fixed if she was not only going to survive the game but help beat it as well. After talking to some NPC's that were located randomly around the city, it became clear that one way to do that was taking an array of different quests. Upon searching for a quest to do though it became apparent that not many of them were geared toward those of a lower level. There was absolutely no way that Yuna was going to take on one of these alone. Meaning a partner would be necessary if this was what she wanted to do and, this was what she wanted to do. Glancing over the quest board, there was a parchment that drew the attention of the milk chocolate orbs. The <<Secret Medicine in the Forest>> quest. It took place on floor 1 and helped a village with procuring medicine from some type of creature. Perfect. Grabbing the parchment the brunette pivoted and started off to find a partner. Hopefully, there would be someone of a high enough level around where she would feel comfortable going. 

Zelrius meandered about on the first floor, The Holiday events of Azure and his fellow Commandants being over and his life settling back down until the New Year. He gave a sigh, remembering the party Kiru had held the year before and how everyone simply enjoyed themselves for a moment, rather than run amuck worried about their lives. This year, the turnout was horrible, and the amount of emotions the golden haired boy felt was insurmountable. Much to his fortune, he had settled any Qualms Kiru had with him and the two were back to being the same good friends they were in the past. Lucky me, He thought to himself glancing around as the cold breeze of winter lightly flared his coat and pressed his bowtie against him. He reached up to pull his gloves back tightly around his hands and fiddle with that same bowtie again. Taking a second to gain his composure as the Commandant straightened and flattened any creases in his dress shirt or blazer for his Tuxedo. This was the boy's usual attire, and other than the tuxedo and dress shoes, he walked about with two pendants around his neck, an all black cloak with a golden flame symbol on the back, and the feature that separated him from everyone else: A sheath on each hip. One sheath, the one on the right hip, beheld the curved blade of Lucifer, and on his left hip, the Straight sword of Michael. Running a gloved hand through his hair, he spotted a woman seemingly just wandering around and approached her, finding anything to do other than stand on the first floor and waste away. As soon as he was within earshot, his dark blue eyes fixated on her features, and his face lit up with an arrogant smile. "Salutations, dear Lady. Have you gone mad? It is the Holidays, find an Inn and rest awhile." He joked, attempting to start conversation.

It was really rather strange. Normally, the first floor of SAO was filled with players wandering seemingly aimlessly about, but today there were only very few players dotted around the city. Much like herself then was adorned in beginner gear as well. Was all hope really lost? Suddenly, a voice rose above the eerie quietness that lingered. Head turning so fast that chocolate locks smacked her in the face Yuna was surprised to find a young, blonde male calling in her general direction. Just to make sure that she really was the target of the call a quick glance was taken in the surrounding area. Absolutely not a soul, which meant it was her by a default. "Depends on who you're asking," Yuna called back, a laugh intertwining with her silvery voice"And you know what they say, no rest for the wicked!"

Starting in his direction, the brunette found herself standing in front of the blonde in a matter of seconds. Now that the two were closer Yuna realized that she actually had to gaze upward in order to look him in the eye. One her way over she couldn't help but noticed the gear that he was decorated in. Compared to the light brown vest and simple curved sword he was decked out. Definitely not a lower leveled player. "Yunalesca, or Yuna if you're feeling lazy," The female joked lightly sticking the hand not holding the parchment out for a greeting. 

Edited by Yunalesca

When she turned and spoke, the boy grinned more, her voice being oddly pleasant and her mannerism being more open and less hostile than most people her level. What a refreshing change, His thoughts whispered in his mind again as they made comments about the world infinitely. Normally, the golden haired boy was smaller, especially when put right next to Tristan and Ssendom, whom both were hulking individuals with gear that made them look larger than life, but, Zelrius' own god gear to match their's made himself feel strangely larger, despite his smaller frame. He smirked at her comment, "Why, I am asking that nice ghost behind you." Now wondering if this conversation would be all jokes and nick-nacks, or would be cut short. Only way to see, the thoughts finished as he was reminded of a song that he had heard a handful of times from the real world. "And money don't grow on trees," Finishing the verse, though not completely sure if that was what she was referencing. Still, it was ironic that he said that, given between Commandant Ssendom and himself, they got Col by the Tens of Thousands with a flick of the wrist, it would have taken longer had it grown on trees.

Now his dark blue eyes met her own, gazing for only a second before kind of looking away. For some reason or another, Zelrius was never one to hold eye contact for more than a few seconds, and couldn't figure why. "Lady Yuna it is. Given, I am always lazy." A short laugh and reaching out a gloved hand to shake hers. "Zelrius, Commandant of the Azure Brigade. I have more titles that I could ramble on about, but I will save you the trouble."

For a moment chocolate orbs met dark blue ones but as quick as a bolt of lightening that moment was gone. Without even realizing it the brunette copied the movement several seconds later. When her mind caught up the only justification that could be made was the fact that she thought she was making him uncomfortable by looking at him. "Most people are, including myself," Yuna grinned, keeping the tone of the conversation light. "and I appreciate that Sir Zelrius. It's a pleasure to meet you." 

The fact that the young male--now known as Zelrius--was not only friendly but also witty allowed for Yuna to relax in his presence even more. Whenever her brother had talked about higher leveled players he always portrayed them to be haughty, full of themselves and overall bullies. Some even picked on, or killed, the new players just because they could. He had thought to warn her of this due to her inexperience with MMO gaming in general. As much as her brother ragged on them though the brunette firmly believed that not all of them were like that. Turns out she was right. Boy, would she tell him, if she ever saw him again. "Oh that ghost," Yuna questioned lightly, releasing the handshake and using her thumb to point over her shoulder, "He'll tell you I am, but don't listen to him. He's a quack job. Doesn't know what he talking about." The grin on her face widened even more if possible. It was refreshing to have an actual conversation. Most of the people on the first floor had already had their clicks and were either rude or ignored her. "Also, nice catch on the reference."

Suddenly, a light winter breeze blew through the city causing the parchment that had been held loosely in her hand to flutter innocently to the ground; where it landed face up for the world to see. Having been so caught in having the conversation Yuna had forgotten about the real reason she was searching the first floor. 'The quest.' 

(And the post length rises.)

His dark blue eyes went back to hers, only to dart away again at speed, still unable to find it to look at someoen in the eyes for more than a few moments. "I am always told it is a pleasure to meet me. Whether that is true or they're just being nice: It really doesn't help my already over-inflated ego." He gave a sigh, despite he was actually really lazy, he realized it didn't take much work to keep everything moving along, given that the game mechanics did most of the work. All he had to do was go outside, fight things from time to time, and then clear bosses, done deal.

Except, he had no intention of ever going to a boss fight again. They were the only thing that provided the over-powered Commandant with a challenge, yet he loathed them. People died, Teammates argued over an already planned out strategy, and anger was sowed into the hearts of everyone when someone else got the last-hit drop. All around, they created tension and hatred, things that the soft-hearted Zelrius couldn't stand. This game had already built him up and shattered him time and time again, the only reason he didn't sit and mope in his bed inside the Guild Hall anymore was the fact that Kiru had helped him back up on his metaphorical feet.. Only a matter of time before this great 'Castle' known as Aincrad hits me back down. That thought was dark and sent a shiver up his spine, realizing he had gone from his arrogant smile to deep thoughtfulness, with a slight frown. Shaking his head to drop that thought, he attempted to pick right back up on the conversation. "Hm, the ghost sounds like your average Teenager. Quick to tell stories about other people, without a clue in the world, yet they think they've got it all figured out." Though that was more serious than he had intended it to be, he smiled as his suspicions on the reference were confirmed. "In all seriousness: What are you doing out here? Don't you have a circle of friends who'd rather sit in an Inn and play card games all day?" He felt that what he had said was rude, but knew there was no turning back. And to be quiet honest: as far as he knew, that's what the low levels did all day.

As a light breeze rolled in, the little piece of parchment paper slipped and fell, and Zelrius directed his attention to it so that he didn't have to flutter his eyes between hers and random places in the distance. He crouched down to pick it up, and hand it to her, knowing full well what it was for. "Ah, a quest. I apologize for distracting you from something like this. I will be on my way then as to not hold you from your goals much longer."

((We're writing a book.XD))

After the greeting, and Zelrius's response, a silence fell between the two players. Yuna opened her mouth to say something but ended up closing it. This movement occurred for several seconds before she ended up just closing her mouth and letting his thoughts wander. That was until something changed. Yes, his eyes were dark blue, but in that moment, they appeared to grow even darker. His thoughts had taken a turn for the worst. This time, Yuna really was going in intervene, but Zelrius managed to bring himself out of it. Or he was trying to and do that fact Yuna would carry on as if nothing had happened. "That kind of sounds like my brother too," Yuna commented under her breath. As strange as it had been to say it was the truth. Her brother, Alan, had a knack for telling tall tales as if they were facts. Once he had told her that the trick was to believe that it was real and then others would believe you too. He told stories about people too. Not the horrible kind, but the kind that were told as jokes between friends. Tales that would spur laughs. Personally--and she knew he wouldn't see it this way--Yuna was glad that he didn't get stuck here too. That way nothing could happen to him. 

Realizing that she was now the one who spaced out for a second Yuna smiled sheepishly. Luckily, she tuned back into the conversation in time. "No, no, no, no you're fine. I was rather enjoying the company," Yuna quickly stated, moving her hands in front of her frantically to try and get the point across. "You see, I was supposed to log in with my brother and meet his friends, but he missed the time and I never ended up meeting them. Therefore, I've just been kinda wondering and trying to figure out what to do; seeing as I've never played a video game before...and now I'm rambling." Closing her mouth and shutting up Yuna gently took the scroll from him and stared at the ground, her cheeks a bright red. It was embarrassing to admit, but she was a real newbie. Not just to SAO, but to gaming in general.

Part of her wanted to ask if he would be willing to help her, but the other part knew that he had something else better do then help a level one. Sure, he was one of the friendlier players that she had met, but he was more than likely down here for a reason. 'I doesn't hurt to ask, right? The worse he can say is no in some form.' Taking a breath the brunette glanced back up at the blonde, "I was actually looking for a partner to go with me," Yuna grinned sheepishly up at him, "You're probably have better things to do, and if you do that's fine, but would you maybe want to go?" 

Edited by Yunalesca

Her comment about her brother kind of off put him. It was common place that people made remarks like that, and was even more common that Zelrius didn't say anything or ask any questions. Not because he wasn't interested; He really did like getting to know different people and all about them, especially ones as friendly as Yuna was being. But, he knew from experience that the last thing anyone wanted right now was to be reminded of the world before. The reason for being was: If it was worse for people, They'd be reminded of those bad memories and be down on their luck. If it was better for people, They'd be reminded on what they were missing out on and how their time in the game was ruining their lives. Zelrius was missing out on his whole life right now, but he was so into gaming, that Aincrad is the only legitimate chance the golden haired Commandant had at a real adventure, so he wouldn't have it any other way. Though was this an adventure, filled with colorful people, hardships, Laugh, love and live. The best, or worst, part was: It wasn't even close to over yet. They were a little over the tenth, and to be honest, Zelrius didn't know how much longer he could take the metaphorical abuse.

He gave a friendly smile to her words as she explained her situation. He was never one who liked playing "Knight" and carrying people, especially lower levels, through quests, but to be honest: The boy felt alone and didn't mind the company one bit. "Rambling? Just a little." He laughed, still attempting to keep the conversation in a light-hearted, friendly mood, despite how deep his thoughts had gotten. As she stared at the ground, he decided not to make any comment toward that and instead, wondered to himself what her experience with Quests were.

It was her first bit of sentence that made him light up with a bit of happiness. He wasn't going to ask her if he could tag along, in fear that she might take it the wrong way, but her asking made it so much better. Rather than wandering aimlessly, Zelrius now had something better to do with his life. "I don't see why my other things can't take a back burner. I don't have anything that important to be doing. What quest are we doing specifically, Lady Yuna?"

Inwardly, a sigh for relief was exhaled; outwardly the sheepish smile grew into a wide grin. As it turns out asking Zelrius had been the right choice after all. “Well, Sir Zelrius,” Yuna started, copying the old English way of addressing others that the male had been using, “After much debate with me, myself, and I we’ve decided on that the <<Secret Medicine in the Forest>> quest would suit us best,” After all, it took place on the first floor, unlike the other quests that had designed. Since this was her first it was more than likely better to start with something simple. Plus, it was not part of her nature to deny a quest that stated someone needed help, especially when the help was medicine.

Bring up the topic of the quest made the female wonder if she should mention something about this being the first time doing a quest, or really any adventuring at all, to the blonde. While Yuna was familiar with the fact that there was such thing as video game etiquette, the brunette was unsure as to what the rules of that etiquette were. The only one rule that had been ascertained was the fact that talking or asking about the life before, life in the real world, was terribly inconsiderate to another player. Although, if someone asked her, Yuna wouldn’t be offended. While she realizes that she is missing life on the outside; she had also grown to accept the fact that this was life now, and life had to be lived to the fullest capacity no matter the setting. Plus, there was this irrefutable hope that one day she would see her family again, but the only way that was going to happen was by surviving. Meaning taking this quest with her new partner in crime, Zelrius.

“By the way,” Yuna started, “I feel that I should mention this is my first quest. Just in case that changes your choice or anything.” Evidently the brunette had decided to tell him. Ultimately it was decided to do so due to the fact that it would be something that she wanted to know if she was partaking on a quest with someone.

When he noticed her smile grow, he couldn't help but return it, it was just that infectious. It was the little things like that, that gave Zelrius a bit of pleasantry in the infinitely  unpleasant world. When she said 'Sir Zelrius' he couldn't help but give a small laugh, given that was how he referred to people by sheer habit of having done it for years. The golden haired boy enjoyed some of the Old English mannerisms, and attempted to mimic their style, but also mix it with modern day slang and its own mannerisms. It was also her words that followed that made him laugh a bit again. "Huh, funny, I debate with myself too. Generally because there is rarely anyone to debate with." The little joke was cut short by an internal groan. He hated the Secret Medicine of the Forest Quest, just because the reward didn't seem to match to amount of effort. He was half tempted to back out, but another glance to the brunette and how happy she seemed that he was going to help made him kept his mouth shut. 

Following that, she brought it to his attention that this was her first quest, which caused him to glance back to her and his dark blue eyes to lock on her own brown ones, something he truly hadn't done the whole conversation. "That's fine! I wouldn't care if it was your first or thirty-millionth. If anything, This being your first makes me want to kick my High Level instincts into high gear. That being said, I am sure the last thing you want is for me to be all 'white knighty'. And to be honest: It isn't in my nature." And that much was true. Zelrius hated people who insisted they had to protect everyone, and in turn, he just wasn't that person. 

He gave a flare of his cloak, and his tuxedo another wipe down to straighten any creases and get any non-existent dust off. He gave a slight bow and spoke, "Then, lead the way, Lady Yuna. I shall follow and keep company, only to lend a sword upon your request." To be honest, he was just happy to be going, especially with someone as polite and friendly as Yuna. It was interesting; not many people were that kind personality anymore.

Throughout the entire conversation—at least so far—Zelrius had not been able to hold eye contact for more than a couple seconds, and yet, after mentioning that this was her very first quest he had managed to not only do that but also reassure her it did not affect this decision to come along. The moment also came with a disclaimer as well. He would not play the role of “white knight”—as so elegantly phrased by him. 'There was no other way that I would rather have it,' Yuna thought contently to herself. When going to search for a partner, she had not been searching for a "white knight" to protect her for all. What she had been searching for was someone who thought of her as an equal, levels aside, and to watch her back while she watched theirs. A partner, not a protector. There was a very clear difference in her mind. 

Then, with a dramatic flare of his cloak and a low bow, it was dubbed time to leave. "I humbly accept your presence on this journey and am grateful to have you as my partner, Sir Zelrius." Yuna responded, cursing slightly in response. "I look forward to our adventure together." Righting herself a moment later, she then opened the quest and fully accepted it by hitting the small green 'o'. A small beep sounded letting them know that that the system registered it as taken. It took a matter of seconds to complete. Without further ado, they were heading out of Beginner City and into the wilds that surrounded it. 

"Before I forget to do so," Yuna started while pausing and opening her menu, "Let me send you a party request." Moments later a small screen popped up in front of the blonde male as a result of tapping some buttons. When Yuna had woken up this morning she thought it was going to be just another day of trying to figure out how all this worked, never in a million years would she have thought she would be going on a quest with another person. The day had taken a rather unexpected, but pleasant, turn. 

(Glad you survived The Sickness)

She seemed pleased with his offer, though there was no way he could tell for sure, she just didn't argue or make any faces of disgust toward his comment of not wanting to protect her. It just wasn't his style: regardless of gender or level of a person. With his recent leaving of all responsiblity, Zelrius wondered now what he'd do after this quest was done and over with. He glanced around a bit, trying to figure out Something to do after his little adventure with Yuna was done. The golden haired Commandant let out a sigh and glanced back to his partner in crime, figuring he'd have to figure out what to do after the quest was done.

He flinched a bit at the sudden party request, given it had been so long since he had received one, and even longer since a Friend request was sent his way. Zelrius reached his gloved hand up and tapped the accept button and looked in the top left to see her level and health. He frowned a bit, not surprised, but he also didn't want to be terribly rude, and didn't say anything. "So, Lady Yuna," He spoke up, his voice still joking and teasing "What is the goal of this quest? Given I haven't ever done it myself for sheer lack of interest." 

It was true enough he had heard of The Secret Medicine of the Forest quest time and time again, hearing offhand comments about people doing it, or even looking at it in his own time. But, everytime there was something about the quest that shied him away from it, though never could he remember that reason for more than a few days, only to look at the quest and be reminded why he didn't take it in the first place.

((Thanks! Hopefully, that'll my only time where I have to survive  The Sickness))

The flinch did not go unnoticed. Mentally smacking herself due to her own stupidity Yuna was about to speak up and tell him that it was okay, they didn't need to be in a party to do this quest, but before that could be suggested his gloved hand tapped the 'accept' icon. Biting the inside of her cheek to keep from apologizing Yuna continued on. If he didn't make a big deal out of it then neither would she. Although, if they did become close enough for her to send a friend request, a mental note was made to ask first. Then he asked her about her goal for this quest. " Well, Sir Zelrius," Yuna grinned, slowing down slightly so that they were walking side by side instead of front and behind, "Part of it the fact that this quest reward has got to be better than this thing," at that point the brunette gestured to the curved sword strapped to her left hip, "and the other part is I want, and need, to get stronger. From my understanding, adventuring is one of the ways to do that."

About a month ago Yuna had made it a goal to get to the upper floors of Aincrad as soon as possible, and preferably with a guild if possible. Even if the brunette was not familiar with the world of gaming it was only common sense that the more people by a person's side, the more likely that person is to survive. Therefore, following that mindset, joining a guild was the only reasonable choice. She wanted to do her part to help get out of this death game. Being stuck on floor one didn't help anything or anyone. Then it occurred to her that Zelrius was in, and apparently an important role, within one of the guilds that littered SAO. While she wasn't looking to join a certain guild, it wouldn't hurt to get to know about some of the options and get options on it. "Earlier you had mentioned that you're part of a guild, what's that like? Is is fun?" Yuna questioned, her interest peaked and curiously bubbling up. 

At some point, the duo had exited the city and were making their way through the plains portion of the floor. Taking a sideways glance, Yuna momentarily watched as a trio of players took on one of the may boar that appear here. It was a good thing that the monsters here only attack when being attacked. Unfortunately, from what she heard through the grapevine, that as not the case on the upper floors of this Iron Castle. That wasn't surprising information, but it did have a slightly disheartening quality to it.   

Edited by Yunalesca

As she explained the quest and made a gesture to her sword, Zelrius smiled and nodded now remembering why people took this quest, and the exact reason Zelrius did not. By the time this quest had come around to existing, the Golden Haired boy had already gotten ahold of the last 'Normal' Weapon he'd ever use before obtaining the Twinfire Sword. "Ah yes, the Fabled Anneal Blade. Any new Adventurers best choice of weaponry, unless they can get ahold of anything better. Though, forgive me if this comes off as rude, I personally see that weapon as a waste of time. Especially since those of us in Azure would be more than happy to supply better equipment for a modest price, if not free. If you ever want to take me up on that deal, Just go to the Gurando Foji on the First Floor here. Tell Oikawa; Zelrius sent you." He stopped with a sigh. "Prehaps I went on to ramble there a bit, my apologies."

The last part of her speaking bit couldn't be more than true. Adventuring was how you got stronger. Though most people like the Commandants of the Azure Brigade more or less Grinded You can get a ton of initial Level from just walking around trying to have a bit of fun. God knows the people of Aincrad need more fun. "Well, I've helped a lot of new Adventurers with a ton of quests. So, if I am not terribly annoying to you, I'd be more than happy to help you with quests following this one." Anything to stop him from laying in his Guild Hall bedroom and rotting away like he so desperately tried to do, though that was a story for another time.

He slowed down a bit as she mentioned Guilds. The golden haired Commandant looked to her, a gleam in his eye. If there was anything Zelrius liked discussing with other people; It was the Brigade. "I've been a few guilds, and I am going to start by saying; My current guild, The Azure Brigade, is eccentric. In other words, it is definitely not like the other Guilds. As for 'fun'. That varies depending on your definition of the word and our other members. It is difficult to explain the Brigade, especially in one or two sentences." He trailed off, unsure of how else to continue.

At the news that a guild provided weapons to beginners at reduced prices or even free nearly caused Yuna to stop right in her tracks. She had heard of guilds doing a lot to assisted lower leveled players, but this one fact  hadn't been mumbled under the breath of the town players. Not even once. "As I like to say, rambling is the underrated sign of a true genius," Yuna jested, recalling earlier when the one rambling had been her, "And that was not even close to rude. I've heard much worse in the time I've been here. What that happened to be, Sir Zelrius, was a helpful and much-needed information. Something I will definitely take advantage of." Probably sometime soon, if she had anything to say about it and depending on the worth of this sword. 

At the fact that Zelrius would be willing to come on more quest with her Yuna couldn't help but internally cheer. She rather enjoyed the company of the blonde boy and would be more than ecstatic to go on another quest alongside him. "You know what" Yuna inquired rhetorically, facing him slightly and tapping her chin pretending to think about the answer to mess with him, "I would be honored to have your accompaniment on more quests after this." Yuna had a lot to learn about this game and if luck was on her side she could learn more from and about Zelrius as well. 

As it turns out talking about guilds was a topic of interest for the young male. It was obvious from the way his deep blue eyes seemed to light up and his fashion of talking. A mental note was made for later reference if needed. "Eccentric?" Yuna questioned, cocking her head to the left slightly, "Maybe some other time then? I was just curious because I think at some point, when I get strong enough, I'd like to join one, but I have a lot to learn first." Right as she said this they entered the forest where the quest was soon to begin. 

Edited by Yunalesca