[PP-F2] Sting of the Wasp

Saix flourished the blade in his hand left and right, testing the weight experimentally with a rather serious expression. "A little heavy towards the hilt..." The red leather coat wearing figure muttered, thrusting once, twice, three times into the air before him in a blur. Finally, he was going to get the chance to use the weapon he had wanted to use all along. 6 years of his youth spent learning the art of fencing would finally come in handy, even if it was a skill learned only so that his father could laud his accomplishments to the rich foreigners he so often worked with. However, even with a weapon in his hand that he was fully confident in his ability to use even without the benefit of the <>, Saix could not help but feel slightly disappointing in the balance of this <>. Clearly <> and <> were far superior. However, that was not the point of this endeavor, he merely required quick targets to test his ability to use the rapier, he would not be facing anything too dangerous. Especially not with Nine at his side. Speaking of which, his taciturn friend had yet to show. Saix craned his neck, looking left and right around the small Floor Two village, before looking up with a grin. He sometimes forgot his friend's eccentricities.

Leveling System Beta Test Build:

Non-combat

»

Passive

»

Combat

» Parry: 1

» Sprint: 1

» Leather Equipment: 1

Weapon skills

» One Handed Straight Sword: 3

» Rapier: 2

Current test build

Level 6 = 7 skill points

Passive:

» Sprint 1

Combat:

» Parry 1

Weapon skills :

» Curved Sword 5

Sure enough 9Lives was sitting above him on the ledge. he cocked his head to the right a little as Saix looked around before looking up directly at him. "Looking for someone?" he said sarcastically. Saix was garnishing a new weapon it seemed. He had finally unlocked the rapier, or more to the point,felt confident enough with our guild that he didn't need to play forward. 9Lives had been keeping a blade in his inventory for this occasion. "well isnt that a cute little blade..." he said before opening his inventory and sending a trade request to Saix. the trade window light up on both ends as he selected the blade he constructed.

It was a German styled rapier lacking the knuckle guard and cage of traditional European rapiers. this one has the cross guard in black with ornate designs like thorned stems weaved into the design. The handle was standard one hand with a small buy elaborately decorated pommel matching the cross-guard. the blade was a dark red crimson, narrow and flexible for the needs of a fencer. This was a blade that he could be proud to give to his Captain. Artistic style was all well and good but the true benefit was in its stats.

+3 Sharpness

+3 Quickness

+3 Accuracy

He let Saix look the blade over for a minute before hitting <>

Saix merely shrugged at his friend's incredulous comment giving the rapier another test thrust. "Well, I've spent all this time wielding the One-Handed Straight Sword, I'm afraid I haven't picked up any decent sort of Rapier." He replied, giving a mock shudder of horror at the thought of using the <>. However, when the trade window popped up he ceased his jovial remarks as curiosity took over. When the item in question, a rather badass looking rapier in crimson and black appeared on the screen, he went a little bug-eyed. He remembered the katana that his guild-mate had crafted, as well as the nigh legendary stats that the blade had carried. At the time he had fully believed that it was without a doubt the finest weapon he had ever seen in the game, both in looks and stats, however this rapier Guilty Thorn it appeared to be named, could be considered an equal to Nine's Aitsuu. Staring at the sword for a moment, Saix swallowed. "Well, you have been busy haven't you?" He said, as his friend initiated the trade.

Saix pushed the accept button, completing the trade, and equipped the sword in a deft movement. A few moments later, he had drawn the exquisite blade. This time when he thrust, the blade all but disappeared, seeming to be an extension of his arm. Years of practice were certainly apparent, and the balance and heft of this sword were a fencer's dream. Even in the real world he was quite sure he had never laid hands on the equal to this particular sword, and that included the Toledo Blade he had once handled in an exhibition. It was beautiful, practical, and oh so very deadly. The stats would only serve to make the weapon that much more effective, the perfect combination of aesthetic, craftsmanship, and stat points as only a VRMMORPG could produce. He might very well play this game until the very end and never hold a finer sword. Shaking himself out of his wonder, he glanced back up at his Lieutenant. "I will use it in the service of the Guild to the utmost of my abilities, to be a proper Captain." He said, after a moment, figuring that his often silent friend would not appreciate him gushing useless words. Nine was the type who valued action, not words. It was what made them so effective of a team.

Both were capable of action when called for, and Saix had the words they might need when the situation called for charm. Still, Saix was not about to let the moment pass without adding one last bit. "Thank you, my friend, it is as beautiful a weapon as I have ever seen, one that I hope I prove worthy to wield."

9Lives respected Saix and his talents both as a gamer and as a martial artist. He had shown great tactical ability and combat prowess in the game. it was the sole reason behind 9lives decision to form a guild with him. "you wouldn't be holding it if i did not think you worthy, my friend. he said before leaping down to floor level. the Streets were quiet, much calmer than the floor blow and while he enjoyed the layout, he wished to head further up into more secluded places where he would be able to truly be isolated when he desired it.

Saix had called him to this area of the city, the same that he left form when venturing out to fight the <>. 9lives guessed Saix had a similar idea. he opened his inventory and selected the 7 wind wasp needles and single vial of venom and moved it to a trade window. "it would seem we have similar interests once again. i trust you will make use of these." he said accepting the trade.

Saix merely nodded at his friend's reply, before sheathing the magnificent rapier at his waist. But it seemed that Nine wasn't quite finished yet, a moment later a second trade window popped up, this one containing some of the very same items he had been hoping to go farm. Well, test out the rapier skills and hopefully snag a few crafting materials at the same time anyway. "I take it back, some one has definitely been busy." he said, with a grin, as he accepted the trade. "I was thinking that the needles would make pretty good poisoned throwing picks, and I might be able to whip up a good airborne stunning poison gas from the vial of venom." He said, as he removed one of the ice pick sized needles from his inventory, and looked at it from a few angles, no doubt getting an impression about the aerodynamics. He stowed it back in his inventory after a few moments, before nodding in the direction of the gate. "I don't expect that it would be very dangerous, but I need to get a feel for this rapier against quick moving targets, the <> fit that bill. Care to join me?"

9Lives nodded his head. the <> hunt was indeed an enjoyable run Nikki and he had ran. even still he thought Saix was downplaying the situation. It was difficult to do an evasive enemy run without a tank. Nikki had taken much of the damage intended for 9lives on their run while he did all the damage. it would be very different running with two DPS characters. 9Lives was still wearing the base stat armor. "we will need to play this smart without a tank, but it is possible." he said giving his one and only warning concerning the mechanics of battle with a random number generator.

Saix arched an eye brow at the warning, but did not comment. Nine had fought them before, the wealth of needles and vial of venom was testament to that. No doubt he had taken Nikki along, as she was the only tank that Saix was aware of Nine being close enough to party with. But still, Saix was not worried. They had pioneered the whole idea of the guild based on pincer tactics between two forwards. If they proceeded slowly, engaging their enemies one at a time, and relying on their overwhelming DPS to wear down their opponents quickly, they should be fine. "We will pincer them one at a time, and if we have to stop and rest to regain some HP, that is fine too." He said, fixing a level gaze on his partner. "You know I prefer to keep a solid safety margin. If things start going to hell, then we will bug out and return to here to Urbus." He says, with a casual shrug of the shoulders. Sometimes the hardest lesson in leadership is learning when to let go. Too many players die when things turn against them and they refuse to give up. Saix may be headstrong and determined, but he wasn't going to risk the lives of his guildmates for a paltry sum of Xp and crafting materials.

9Lives nodded crossing his arms. he was not going to back down from the exercise. In fact is Nikki hadn't caught him, he had planned to make the initial run solo. "I agree but be aware that it may not be that simple. facing an ambush type creature means you may not see the enemy. in my last run i only saw 3 of the seven creatures i fought before their first attack. keeping a distance and minding mob paths is a good tactic but not as useful in this situation. " that may have been the most words to come out of his mouth at one time in a very long time. The novelty was not lost on him. he paused reflecting on his venture. he would say that you could hear them and while that was true that you would know they were around, it was nearly impossible to know where they were before one made an appearance. "well will need to strike fast and strike with precision." he finished concisely.

• 3 weeks later...

Saix inclined his head at his friend's words and paused to consider them for a few seconds. "That does complicate things, however I am sure that between the two of us we won't be in two much danger." He pointed out, not willing to let fear stop him now. This was a test run for using weapon skills from a new weapon, he was under no pressure to stay in a dangerous situation. He had chosen the <> specifically because of their small size and relatively high yield of Xp for their strength. They were not too dangerous, and were farmed relatively frequently by small groups looking to maximize Xp. Taking out a small number of the large bugs made for a far more efficient use of time than trying to take down a <> and was far far safer than facing a <>. As he spoke, he led his friend down the mostly empty street and exited the City of Urbus.

Carefully the two friends would thread their way across the hilly terrain, avoiding the large <> and massive <> spawns, until they reached the Eastern planes areas, where the first few <> could be seen buzzing around. Nine had mentioned that they were ambush type creatures, that meant that upon engaging them additional units would spawn. If the information he had pulled up was correct, attacking one <> would then spawn an additional two <>. This could quickly overwhelm a party if they faced too many of the volatile insects in quick succession. The key to maximizing Xp from a <> run came from carefully engaging the <> one at a time, so that they additional mobs could be dealt with efficiently. <> did not have huge amounts of health, so two Burst DPS players could wear them down one at a time in quick succession.

Choosing his target carefully, the Ebon Vanguard Captain pointed it out to his Lieutenant and trusted friend. "There, that one. I will attack first, and spawn the ambush. Then we burn them down one at a time. They shouldn't have much more than 8 HP until we start engaging the stronger mobs." he said, readying the magnificent Raper at his side, drawing Guilty Thorn with a flourish. Taking his time to settle into a fencing stance, he activated the first Rapier skill available. In a flash he was gone as he pushed off and did his best to accelerate the <>. This is where his experience fencing would come into play. When a player activated a <> they were only half under the system's control. It was possible, if you knew the maneuver intimately, to use your own power to 'assist' the <>. Saix did so now, putting his all into the rapid movement thrust, and it showed.

For a moment he was nothing more than a blur of his favorite Red color, his Crimson Lightning epithet suddenly making sense, before his blade slammed home into the <> thorax, expertly piercing the creature's weakpoint, blasting it's health all the way into the red-zone in an instant.

---Outcome---

Combat Roll: 6 + 3 (Rare Rapier)

Damage: 1 + 2 (skill) + 3 (Rare Rapier) = 6 Damage

The fields were still and nearly quiet but he had come to enjoy the low hum of the <>. it invigorated him in a sense. with his left hand on his saya , 9lives drew Aitsuu swiftly. The blade was like an extension of himself bearing the torment of his mind both in chaos and equilibrium. He nodded to Saix in agreement. In an instant Saix launched forward into his attack. 9lives was right behind him in the surge, although not nearly as fast as the activated skill speed of Saix' attack. As he approached Saix, 9lives rolled forward stopping on a couched position then leaped into the air. The wasp Saix stuck had recovered and its summoned ambush of two additional wasps had popped up to attack just as 9lives his the ground with activated the <> skill.

Battle Die 7 + 3 (weapon skill) = 10 Success!

Damage output: 1 (base) +2 (Skill) +3(Weapon) = 6 Damage

Tsumujiguruma: Ranges 360 attack +stun: all three targets hit!

Wasp 1: 0/7 Destroyed

Wasp 2: 1/7 Stunned

Wasp 3: 1/7 Stunned

9Lives spun counter clockwise throwing out waves of energy like blades in a horizontal 360 hitting all three enemies. The weakened wasp Saix had attack was instantly destroyed in the wave while the other two were knocked back. The additional effect of <> was that it induced stun to all hit targets making them easy pray. Coming to a stop he gave a glance towards Saix with a devilish grin. he was a very different fighter now that he was in his element and he could sense the same was true of Saix.

Saix might have suffered from a chronic flair for the dramatic, but that did not mean he was incapable of reigning in when the situation necessitated it. Rather than go the route of overkill with a second Linear to their weakened enemies, Saix simply flicked his wrist, sending his blade out in a lightning fast biting thrust to the abdomen of the nearest <> with a quick contemptuous thrust that annihilated the creature's remaining health in a flash. In a ringing tone, the injured insect burst into a red spray of prismatic color as the <> died. Retracting his blade Saix gave his friend a classical fencer's salute as a roguish grin pulled at the corner of his lips.

---Outcome---

Attack: 9 (critical) + 3 = 12 (Success)

Damage: 1 + 2(Skill) + 3(Rare Rapier) = 6 x 2(critical) = 12

Wasp 1: 0/7 Destroyed

Wasp 2: 0/7 Destroyed

Wasp 3: 1/7 Stunned

Seeing Saix finish off the second Wasp, 9Lives turned and stalked towards his prey with a grin on his face. As he approached the wasp he studied the creature. its wings were shredded and two legs were destroyed. even if his attack had not stunned the creature, there was no way it could have attacked or evaded. 9lives didn't even need to use the system to defeat this enemy. Swiftly he thrust down piercing the wasp in the head. the monster shattered into pieces below him. 9lives turned back to Saix and smiled. "Im enjoying this...quite a lot..." he said as joyously as the somber cynic could display.

upkeep_zps8b570ab6.png

The words may have been delivered in typical polite and subdued fashion, but Saix knew his friend well enough to know that statement was true. "Then by all means, lets not stop now." He glances at the nearest <>, which floats along the path nearby with a dull buzzing. Settling back into his stance, and feeling the skill activate, he paused to flash a grin in 9Live's direction. "If you can keep up, that is." He teased, before he was gone in a blur, his high speed thrust skill <> sending him speeding towards the target like a bolt of Crimson Lightning. The high speed thrust impacted the creature directly in the Thorax with laser like efficiency, a perfect medley of <> and natural talent spent fencing for 8 years. The <> shuddered, the sudden attack devastating it's life bar. Before two additional <> appeared from the ground in an ambush unit.

---Outcome---

Battle Dice: 6 + 3(Rare Rapier) = Success!

Damage: 1 + 2(Skill) + 3(Rare Rapier) = 6 Damage

9Lives was feeding off the rush though somewhat disapointed at how easily he had defeated thr first batch. They were much more evasive in his previous encounter. Shiething his balde he charged for . Saix two charged his attack and in a blue of red and black they flrew forward together. Saix made contact first spawning the others which he had prepared to attack.

Battle die 2 +3(weapon) = 5 fail!

His attack came up empty by mere inches as the wasp evaded. In a way he was hapoy to see that the wasps were not going to go down easy. He quickly pulled his sword to guard blocking the attack of the wasp he had missed.

So focused on the task at hand, Saix wasn't even aware that his friend's attack had missed. All that mattered to him was the enemies arrayed before him, and to a competitive gamer like Saix, that was all he really needed. As his wounded enemy careened towards him with the intent to use the huge icepick sized stinger, he swayed to the side, evading the attack with such ease it almost appeared as though he were dancing. Side stepping the clumsy attack, he cocked his blade before him as though preparing to thrust, and released the rapid 4-hit thrusting combo <> into the nearest uninjured <>>, his blade almost seeming to disappear into a blur of motion as it tore through the <> body in rapid succession. The insect flickered for a moment, held in place by the immobilization effect inherent in the skill, before collapsing into a spray of polygons with a sound like breaking glass as the <> consumed it.

---Outcome---

Battle Die: 9(Critical) + 3(Rare Rapier) = Success!

Damage: 1(Base) + 2(Skill) + 3(Rare Rapier) = 6 x 2(Critical) = 12 Damage

Wasp 4: 1/7

Wasp 5: 0/0

Wasp 6: 7/7

Spinning back on is right foot, 9lives stepped behind Saix as he evaded the injured wasps attack. Now back to back he release the blade with his left hand, holding it one handed. he held the blade down and let the tip touch the ground, charging for his next attack. He quickly attacked activating .

Battle Die: 4 +3(Weapon) = 7 Success!

Damage: 1(base) +2(Skill) +3 (Weapon) = 6 +Stun

He quickly slashed upward cutting through the Wasp first slash, caught his tsuka with his left hand and powered down into the second strike. pulling through he stepped forward which put his sword now at his waist for the last strike. The thrust the blade horizontally twisting as he thrust until the Wasp was impaled on his blade. The final action of pulling the blade from the target initiated the effect, lowering its ability to evade.

How long had they been in this world? When had battle become so second nature? Or was it that this was the nature of the two men all along, and being trapped in this Death Game only brought that nature to the surface? The two men didn't even have to think, they just seamlessly reacted to each other's presence as though they were slipping into routine. Saix never bothered to even consider the need to guard his back, because he simply knew that Nine would be there. Just as Nine had never even paused to show his back to the injured <> because Saix was already drawing back his rapier to attack again. He didn't even bother with a sword skill, he simply relied upon his years of fencing experience, snapping out a quick thrust which destroyed one of the injured <> with a fierce grin. A sound like breaking glass, the sudden starburst of polygons, and the creature disappeared in the <> animation that never seemed to get old.

---Outcome---

Battle Dice: 3 + 3 (Rare Rapier) = 6 Success

Damage: 1 (Base) + 2(Rapier Skill) + 3(Rare Rapier) = 6

Wasp 4: 0/7

Wasp 5: 0/7

Wasp 6: 7/7

As Saix finished off the wounded wasp he hit first, 9lives watched the stunned wasp form his previous attack fall to the ground. Looking down at it he thrust his sword into its head, not needing to waste any time with sword skills for the pathetic creature. With it slain they had successfully defeated two groups of wasps without a single one being able to hit them. Even so, he was not happy that his attack missed the Wasp. 9lives scrolled though his menu and equip his mask giving him the slight advantage needed to max out his accuracy. The hood disappeared as the mask was generated on is face letting his short spiked black hair see the light of the generated sun.

upkeep_zpsd58c0887.png

Saix cocked his head with a speculative gleam in his eye as his friend revealed the mask. "Well, it's certainly unique, I will give you that... But I have to say I prefer the hooded assassin look." He sighed, rather theatrically, before smiling. "One of these days we can hopefully luck out and find a decent tailor for the Guild, what poor looking heroes we make in this starting city gear." He added with a laugh. Abruptly his demeanor returned to seriousness, as he surveyed the dead <>, as well as the enemies that still lurked around them. "That was the last of the lower ones. The few I see left seem to be of a tougher variety." It was clear he was weighing their options as he spoke. So far they had engaged 2 ambush groups with no problems, however neither were wearing decent armor, and if these creatures starting hitting too hard, they would be in trouble. However, he was not willing to call off the hunt this early without seeing if these creatures would prove to be trouble. Taking Guilty Thorn in hand, he targeted the nearest of the stronger <>, and let fly with another <>. He resembled little more than a streak of red, almost surpassing the limits that normal players could see, his blade needling into the <> with laser precision. Dropping it's HP into the red-zone in a flash.

---Outcome---

Battle Dice: 7(Base) + 3 (Rare Weapon) = Success

Damage: 1(Base) + 2(Skill) + 3(Rare Weapon) = 6 Damage

Wasp 7: 3/9

Wasp 8: 9/9

Wasp 9: 9/9

9Lives followed suit behind Saix who in a blur of red attacked the higher level wasp with a clean strike. 9lives was having far to much fun to stick to a single attack. He had tried out as well as . He knew the sword skill had a ranged attack but had yet to see it in action. With the two Wasps poping up to attack from ambush, 9Lives knew this would be the perfect time. He stepped forward with his left foot drawing the sword in at head height, with the edge up and pointed the tip at the center of the group. Once changed he activaed .

Battle Die: 2 +1(Trinket) +3(Weapon) = 6 Success!

Damage: 1(base) +2 (Skiill) +3(Weapon) = 6 damage!

Cone attack, all three targets hit!

The skill activated in a horizontal slash of the air sending an energy wave forward that seemed to rock back and forth as it moved through the air growing larger as it traveled. Though the range was not very long it hit all three of the wasps with full force. The target hit by Saix was instantly destroyed in the wave. the remaining two's health dropped down into the red. 9lives slaughed at the attacks effectivness. "I dont even have to move to kill these things "

Wasp 7: 0/9

Wasp 8: 3/9

Wasp 9: 3/9