[PP-F13] Meeting of the Orange and Gold [Zelrius]

Lowenthal had just got down putting down the last box inside his room, in the Azure Guild hall. It was a decent sized room. The thing Lowenthal was most excited about was the bed. It had been months since he had slept in a proper one. He  was currently using a bunch of fabric in his shop as a makeshift bed. But it wasn't as good as an actual bed. Just as he flopped down on the bed and got comfortable, Zelrius had poked his head inside. Lowenthal sat up, and was told to meet him in the meeting room. Lowenthal sighed, and followed Zelrius. "Alright, what did you want?" Lowenthal asked, as the two entered the meeting room.

"To talk to an old friend and now arguably the most powerful man in all of Aincrad. I just wanted to clear some things up and then sit down and have some friendly talk." He set two cups down and slid one across the great meeting room table to the chair across from the golden haired boy.  "Take my word for it: You'll very rarely get a chance to ever really talk to someone as a person after tonight." He sipped at some drink. He had been so against drinking, both in game and in real life, but he figured since his life was over why not? "The drink I borrowed from Ssendom's shop. Have as much as you want, since it is technically your property now as well."

Lowenthal sat down, but politely refused the drink. "I'm nowhere near the strongest. Not only am I several levels behind you and Calrex. Other players out DPS me in numbers by the hundreds." Lowenthal said, defending other people. "I mean, of all people. Why me? How am I better than anyone else in this game?" Lowenthal asked. He was curious as to why he was picked. Calrex was a good option, but he would never leave Teayre and her guild. "I mean, there's no way I can match you in combat. Nor can I match Calrex's growth in level. Or Dom's proficiency in combat." Lowenthal said, confused. "I feel like I was picked because I was the only choice. Help me understand here." Lowenthal pleased, leaning on the table.

He grinned with a slight laugh. "You know I never sugarcoat or play nice, so I am going to be honest: You being the 'only' choice is kinda right. Only slightly though. Now, You could be boring and demand answers from me like everyone else is doing; or Be fun and figure it out yourself. The tools and people are there to help you and give you clues every step along the way. However, if there is anyone who deserves answers it is you. So, if you'd like to demand some, I'd be fine with giving you a few conclusions and reasons."

Lowenthal leaned forward on the table, bracing himself as he took in Zelrius' answers. He had an inkling that he was the 'only' choice, and Zel had only just confirmed that suspicion. He racked his head, trying to think of a few questions. The only one he could think of, was why he was leaving. But he knew that he wouldn't answer that one. Finally a question occurred to him. "Why do you hate being the Hero of Aincrad?" Lowenthal asked."Actually I take that back. You don't hate it do you? Otherwise you would've given the skill away, or died with it." Lowenthal said, thinking "If It's not the sudden burst of attention, of course you love that. Unless of course, it's negative attention. So, if it is that." Lowenthal said, thinking aloud. "You're tired of the looks. I mean, people pretend to be nice, but the looks they give you. Its either hate because you're so much better than, or jealously because of your titles." Lowenthal said, shifting his weight. in his chair. "So my question is this. What made you crack first? The pressure of being Aincrad's chosen one, or being unable to deal with the hatred and malice people feel towards you." Lowenthal said, staring at the person sitting across from him.

Zelrius only sat, stone faced and unwaivering as Lowenthal went on a bit of a rant. That was, until the Orange haired man began to hit some solid ground, and the boy's voice began to crack and break a little, sadness retaking over just a bit. "I don't hate being the Hero. That is all I ever wanted in life: Was an Adventure and to be a Hero. I do love the attention: What can I say, I am a young boy who grew up alone, I am starving for the attention. You're absolutely correct. It chipped and broke away at me how everyone pretended to like me and ask for my help, but I still was alone come night time, and there was no one at the end of the day to calm down and relax with. Being the 'chosen' one specifically wasn't the issue. It was the emotions that people had for that title was what made me crack as you say." He stopped. Closing his mouth and his brows furrowing, his mouth in a frown, a bit angry now. It wasn't in his nature to normally let go information like that, but Lowenthal had struck ground and now that much would be clear.

Lowenthal shifted his weight to his left arm. He was trying to wrack his head around that last sentence. "You're leaving. because you're lonely? You, lonely." Lowenthal said. "You're leaving, to be alone. Because you're alone." Lowenthal said again, still not understanding. "I'm not going to begin, with how flawed that logic is. But I will be stating this. Since you are a good friend to me." He said, quoting Zelrius, and yet mocking him slightly. "The fact that you're leaving because you're unhappy, is something an entitled brat would do. You wanted to be a hero, you got the chance finally. And the moment [censored] get's to tough for you, you back out. You don't deserve that title, no matter what heroics you've achieved." Lowenthal said, his anger and frustration now showing. Lowenthal took  deep breath, and ran his hand through his hair.

"That's why no matter what, you will still just be a lonely attention starved kid." Lowenthal mused, his voice taking a darker tone than he intended. Chances are, he picked that up from hanging out with Mari. "You're running away, I'm not sugar coating it. That's just pathetic. If you are going to run away and be a damn hermit then give up the spoils to aid those of us who actually give a damn. Don't be a selfish [censored]. Or you're no better than those you claim to be so much better than."

Yep, his word were definitely inspired by Mari. Lowenthal made a note to thank her somehow later. The words may be harsh but he hoped they would help Zelrius rather than hurt him.

As Lowenthal spoke, Zelrius saw a small glimpse of pink hair and a wicked grin in his mind's eye, remembering his several encounters with a certain someone who spoke the same and said the same words. He kept his composure, albeit only slightly. "I am leaving so that I can stop being so damned hated for being so powerful. Lowenthal, I don't you think you understand. There was a time, where I had a happy little family called the Azure Brigade, and friends. And one by one, they disappeared and left on me. It would have been so easy to do the same, but I didn't. For over a year now since my original Guild family left, I stuck it through. They left me, and I stayed behind, dealing with the loneliness and pain by myself for that long year. I've gone to every boss fight since, I've spent months in the fields grinding my level and even longer making sure those of us in Azure were competent of protecting those of SAO. I gave up everything for you players, let it all go. And I had planned to keep giving up everything, and I still will. I just need a break. You of all people should understand that, Fool of the Velvet Room."

Lowenthal's eyebrow twitched, his thoughts going rampant. "Know why they left? Because you're an arrogant [censored], and people got sick of it, same reason why people hate you."

Lowenthal sighed, rubbing his forehead. "Even now, all I am hearing is 'me, me, me! Help me I'm sad because I'm strong, people rely on me, waa'"  Lowenthal looked up at Zelrius. "I may be the fool, but you've blinded yourself with your own narcissism. What? You think you're a special snowflake? You think you're the only person dealing with [censored]?"

Lowenthal stood up now, feeling frustrated with Zelrius. His chair screeching as it was forced. "You think YOU have it tough? What about when my sister died in front of me whilst U was held captive! Or Mari? She had to kill her own daughter! And yet you still treat her like dirt, just like you treat everyone else, yet you cry foul when people do the same to you. Get over your damn self! You're not the only one trying, you're not the only one fighting and you're damn well not the end all."

"You want a break? That's fine but don't act like the world is crashing down, pick your damn self up and move on with your life."

Lowenthal paused, eyes widening at what he had just said. He flopped himself back down into his chair. "I'm sorry, I think I've been hanging around a certain person too long. She's gotta be rubbing off on me."

Zelrius' response to his words were to shout back. "The arrogance was fake! It was all fake. I made it all up, as a way to get people to listen to me. 'Act like you own the world and everyone will say you do.' That's how the saying goes. 'Lead, and the world will follow.' I lead, I lead until it beat me down and nearly killed me. It was Mari's choice to do that, You obviously don't know the full details. I've been in every boss fight Since Floor 3, save one or two because of Azure's decisions. They were all terrible, and I was there the day Alkor and Rue died. I led those people into battle, and it was my fault they are gone. I lost Keith, Miaki, Shanok, Clarence, Garou, Daeron, Cicila, Nikki, more people than you can imagine. You're right, everyone has had their struggle, but I am positive none of them are as bad as mine. I've given up everything for the Players of Aincrad, and then some. Mari took hallucinogenics and slaughtered her Daughter like a dog. I killed people once, but only because they threatened and harmed everyone in this game. She kills people because it is fun. Don't you dare defend that Pink haired menace in my presence." He took a breath, calming down just as Lowenthal had done. "My taking a break isn't even about me. It's for everyone else. All I do is mope and whine all day, and all that results in is hindering everyone else. I've done nothing but cause Tristan and Kiru heartache and pain, and everyone else allows their jealousy and hate to stop them from being productive. By me leaving, They can focus their energy on getting all you poor bastards out of this game and back to the world that matters." He ignored Lowenthal's apology, finding the burst of anger to be unjustified and therefore the apology to be uncalled for.

Any apologetic feelings toward Zel quickly dissipated as Zelrius spoke about things he clearly knew nothing about. Lowenthal clenched his fist, attempting to keep calm.

"Mari didn't kill her daughter willingly, she wasn't under any form of influence - she was being belittled, betrayed by someone who was once close to her - he pushed her daughter into the line of fire.The coward use a child, as a shield. Either way, Mari would have lost her daughter that day. She has never once killed for fun. She has never once enjoyed it. I see it. I see her beat herself up over it. I see how it burdens her, why do you think she left everything? She doesn't say it but I think she's afraid, she's afraid that she'll hurt people. She's afraid that she'll completely stop caring. So she stepped back. And you know what? She could've killed me, she had me literally hanging by a thread, but she helped me! Would someone who loves killing do that?"

It was clear the two had very strong viewpoints, two very different ways of looking at things. Then, he snapped. "AND THERE IT IS AGAIN! YOU SAY YOU HAVE HAD IT THE WORST! GET OFF YOUR [censored] HIGH HORSE! YOU ARROGANT, NARCISSISTIC BASTARD! AGAIN I watched MY OWN FLESH AND BLOOD DIE!" Lowenthal shook his head, visibly upset, "EVEN THEN!" His voice cracked, as his emotions began to overtake him, the pain of losing people. He ran his hand through his orange hair. "Even then...I don't claim I've gone through the worst! Instead, I do my best to better myself!" Lowenthal said, significantly more calm then he was a few seconds ago.

Lowenthal looked at Zelrius. HIs expression calm. "You go on about saying you are doing this for the better of the people. But I won't believe you until you give up that so called power of yours and give it to someone else, hell doesn't have to be me, it can be anyone. Ariel. Tristan, anyone...just don't hide it away as you hide yourself away. For once in your life. Do something that isn't selfish."

"That isn't the story I was given, and I refuse to believe anything you've gone off and said just now until I get actual evidence. Mari is a cold-blooded killer whom refuses to take the Redemption quest until her thirst is satisfied. I have no reason to believe any different. Words don't convince me anymore. Let me talk to this Coward, who did it. My guess is he is dead, That pink haired demon made sure there was no one to argue against her. There's a reason she didn't kill you, and I will look into it myself, Fool." His dark blue eyes welled up with tears as Lowenthal brought up the arrogance point again. "Well forgive ME for not having any flesh and blood in the game. Sorry no one I knew came with me so that they could die and I would experience the same as you. How hypocritical of you to sit here and tell me to get off MY HIGH HORSE, when you continue to go on about your own problems. Have you forgotten that you're the one that asked me why was leaving? To Answer your question: I DID give off my 'power'. You're Commandant now. If you don't want it, Give me it back, and I will fight on if that's what it takes." Even as he said this, Zelrius knew full well the rank and title wasn't was Lowenthal was referring to. But he had a different philosophy on that. It was intriguing to the golden haired boy that neither of the two had stormed out yet, much like normal people would have done once things got this heated.

"Mari told me she refuses to take it, because she promised Alkor she would take it with him - and she can't fulfil that promise. You're being hypocritical. You say you won't believe what I say without hard evidence, but what you say has no hard evidence either." Lowenthal muttered, but it was clear that no matter what he said, Zelrius would be too stubborn to admit any differently.

A silence fell between the two. They were just shouting. What would Mari say at this point? She'd probably call them both idiots. Slap them both and tell them to sort their crap out when they've calmed down.  Lowenthal sat back down in the chair, pulling it up close to Zelrius. "I think you should see for yourself. Please, let me take you to Mari. I won't tell her." Lowenthal laughed. "She'll hit me for bringing you, she doesn't like you, at least, your attitude. So I guess you two have that in common."

Lowenthal had to admit that the two were very similar. Zelrius thought Mari was a horrible person and Mari thought Zelrius was a horrible person, but the truth was the two were some of the strongest fighters in Aincrad. Lowenthal was about to say more, but his expression went blank. Again, Zelrius would not rest till his 'problems' were deemed more worse than Lowes. That wasn't the point. It wasn't about whose problems were worse, it was that everyone had thier own. But the idiot could not see that, and he had now crossed a line.

Lowenthal slowly removed his hands from the table, his face free of emotion. Slowly he walked around the table, his hands free and empty. He walked until he was close to the golden haired warrior, no. The child. Lowenthal was only a mere five feet away from Zelrius, before he stopped moving. Lowenthal looked down slightly, to meet the child's eyes. "Say my sister's death is unimportant, compared to your problems again. And I will show you a pain of loss, that you could not comprehend." Lowenthal said, his tone of voice much darker than normal. Lowenthal smiled, as he opened his menu. "Here. Take your precious title back, commandant." Lowenthal said, his words practically carrying venom. "If you're the best Azure has to offer, then I no longer express interest in being a member." Lowenthal said, before turning and returning to his room. He was growing tired of this place anyways.

"Mari has whatever reasons, but as I said: I refuse to believe any of that, not because of her, but because people are known to spin tales in this world. There's plenty of hard evidence. Ask Lessa, Zero, Shark, Tristan, any of those who were on the Frontlines previous to Nine. Those people that I've lost existed, fought and left all within a blink of the eye. As for Mari? No one but herself can confirm anything she claims, because SHE was the only one there for all of it. I tried so hard to get Mari to like me, and I gave up, after she gave me nothing but hate, so I reciprocate."

As Lowenthal approached, Zelrius nearly narrowed his eyebrows, simply telling himself that if Lowenthal was going to kill him right here, the Golden haired boy would have it no other way. "I didn't know your sister, and will not pretend to mope for her, but I am sorry to hear that you too have lost someone." The golden haired child had regained his compuser and withdrew his emotions once again. "There's no one left you can take from me. They're all gone already, so I doubt it. Everyone has their own struggle, but, the last thing I need is for someone to tell me to grow up. All I am asking, is let me mope and cry about for a little bit. I have always been one to move on once I am done with something." The boy frowned as Lowenthal spat the title back onto him. "I gave you the title to Lead on. You're the only other person I can see taking this from me and using it for good. If you truly don't want it, then I will take it back, and carry it to my grave." He couldn't even finish his sentence before Lowenthal had left him. Zelrius leaned back in his chair, tears running down the boy's face.

Lowenthal turned, before he exited the room. "And whose to say that those people didn't hear from a wrong source? You're being hypocritical again. You won't believe me or Mari. But you'll believe people who weren't even there to witness it? That makes no sense. Not to me at least." Lowenthal said, Lowenthal bit his tongue as Zelrius brought up his sister again. He spoke quietly, his tone dark.

"Everyone has left you? Everyone is gone? Now I know that to be a lie." Lowenthal said, seeing the tears stream down his face. Lowenthal stepped to the blonde warrior yet again. He pulled out a chair, and sat down across from him. "Because, from what I gathered at the christmas party. You and Kiru had quite the tearjerker. She even gave me quite the hug after I gifted her a plushie of you." Lowenthal said, with a touch of malice in his voice. Lowenthal then chuckled lightheartedly, and stood.

"You're right Zel. Refusing the title of commandant was very stupid of me, I take it back. Of course I'll be your commandant." His voice took a sudden change of tone, becoming chipper - it was unnerving - how Lowenthal managed to switch from dark threats to such a light hearted demeanour, the cheery exterior seeming all the more chilling as he threatened Kiru, without missing a beat. "I do hope, that this conversation hasn't dampened your thoughts on me. Most of my words were just emotions running rampant." Lowenthal said, standing in the doorway. "I do hope we're at an understanding." Lowenthal said, now whistling a small tune as he returned to his room.

"Oh, Trust me Orange," The Golden haired boy's eye narrowed and his voice was filled with contempt and malice "No thoughts are dampened. However," He stood placing his hands on the table, his dark blue eyes piercing toward Lowenthal. "A Commandant needs a level head. And while you'll say it's hypocritical, I can guarantee you haven't seen me act on emotion previous to this. With that, I decline you're retaking the Rank, Run back home to your Irish man and tell him you failed the Brigade already." The boy began to walk out of the room before Lowenthal, equipping the two swords on each hip and drawing them. "And if you so much as look at Kiru without my permission, I will slaughter you and all of the Velvet Room. Know that she is the only reason I am green, and once you get rid of that, all you have left is a cold-blooded murder. Have a nice night." Zelrius slammed the door behind him leaving and trudging off down the hallway.

Lowenthal opened his door, and followed Zelrius down the hall. "Zel!" Lowenthal shouted to the golden haired boy. Lowenthal took a few steps after him. "Wait, please." Lowenthal said, holding out a hand to him. Lowenthal rubbed his forehead before speaking. "I didn't mean it. Any of it" He said, sounding sincere. "I could never hurt her, or anyone like that." Lowenthal said, knowing that this time, he had crossed a line. "Just the stress of changing guilds, making sure that Velvet is taken care of, clearing floors. All was that stressful enough. Then you add that you're leaving." He said, explaining his emotions. He could barely understand how Zelrius was able to deal with all the stress all the time.

"You were a role model. Someone I looked up to, when I finally made it to the front lines. You and Mari both were." Lowenthal said, almost pleading. "Zel, you're an arrogant prick. Who's shoes are growing to big for himself. And Mari is a mess of broken emotions. Who's liable to snap at any moment. Without unique skills or equipment involved, I'd argue that I'm the strongest here. And I can't do this by myself." Lowenthal said. He had been spending time with Mari, well more like stalking rather than spending time. 

"Before you leave, please forgive me for my words. Most if not all of it was just, stupid emotion. You go, take your vacation. I'll stay behind, and make sure that floors are cleared. With or without the title." Lowenthal said to Zel, hoping that he'd be able to at least not hate him.

Zelrius looked back, a scowl in his face and his eyebrow twitching in anger. "If you can't go through with things, don't say them. Though, that would also make me a hypocrite for threatening Velvet room; I could never mindlessly murder those people, especially since the lot of them are good-hearted, hard working, players." The boy sheathed his swords and turned back to Lowenthal, giving a sigh and his expression going blank again. "Maybe you're right; Maybe I am just a Kid who's let Fame, Fortune, and Power go to his head. But, that doesn't justify you bashing me for it rather than helping me. However, in your defense, you've helped the most with the situation. All the other Commandants ever did was feed and fuel the flame of my Grandeur more and more. For that, I thank you Lowenthal." It was true: The orange haired Fool of Velvet Room had a bit of wisdom most people seemed to lack. "F*ck my vacation. I'll keep going until the stress kills me. If you really want the Rank, take it. I will see you when we go to fight Averious." The golden haired spoke the name with a bit of spite, Looking out of a window in the meeting room that had a sight of the Fallen Angel float in the air waiting for the Darkened Souls to be eliminated.