COMPLETE! [PP-F1] Arts N' Crafts <<Earning a Living>> Opal/Ishida

On the first floor of Castle Aincrad, a player could get their first taste of what this fantasy world had to offer. The Starting City was always bustling, and today was no different. Teselmar had been spending a little bit of time on this floor, helping lower level players get a taste of combat. He stepped from the inn that he often frequented out into the busy walkway, the buildings full of NPCs and player merchants alike. As he paced across the street and to the corner, Teselmar thought about how many shops there were on the first floor. Seemed like you could get just about anything in one of the back alleys here. His latest expenditures had caused him to consider his options when it came to earning Col, and an idea struck the man. Huh... you know, I should really open a shop. Some of the other floors had villages and towns with next to no shops, and while there were materials aplenty, not very many players wanted to risk life and limb out in the wilderness to find them. It was a golden opportunity to make some Col. But what would he sell? 

Teselmar frowned, thinking his options over. I could always become a blacksmith... nah, all the cool people got there first. It was true, as smithing was undoubtedly the coolest of the crafting options, many people had gotten quite good at it. Maybe I should be a tailor? He thought of having to make dresses and the same set of leather armor over and over again, and dismissed the thought. No, not that either. I can't cook, or fish, or sing, or... He paused, the sight of an NPC artisan's shop giving him an idea. "An artisan..." he said aloud. In the real world, Teselmar had often admired the patience and skill of artists and craftsmen, people who had honed their skills over a lifetime. Their work could inspire and change the way someone viewed the world, and for someone as typically impatient as he was, it was something he had never considered an attainable goal. But this was a brand new world! As much as the thought gave him pause, he was at his core just as much Teselmar as he was Martin. Out in the real world, Martin Tremane would probably never have even considered taking up an artisan's craft. But as Teselmar, he had been forced to think more than simply react, to adapt and expand his horizons. This would be no different.

One conversation with a kindly looking old NPC lady later, and Teselmar was the proud owner of a set of <<Basic Artisan's Tools>>. A paint brush, a chisel, and a small hammer; all were plain and undecorated, simple tools ready to do simple work. First, though, he needed some items to work with. Upon questioning the NPC, he found that many artisans started by searching for <<Aqua Gems>>, a semi-liquid-like jewel that could be found near lakes and rivers on any floor that had such features. Marking a likely spot on his map, he sent out a message to Ishida and Opal, and hoped that they would come and keep him company in the hunt.

Edited by Teselmar

"Floor one, huh?" she said scanning the contents of the message from her...friend? Boyfriend? Love interest? Opal's cheeks burned a hot red for a brief moment before her normal complexion returned. She would be professional about this, mostly...will try to be as she made her way to the location designated by Teselmar. In her Blood Oath Panoply, the woman found the mysterious Teselmar standing by. Her ruby red lips curved into a smile as she tapped the stranger on the shoulder with a perfectly manicured nail. How she was able to keep them in perfect shape was a mystery, but the woman had prided herself on looking good even as Vice Commander of a guild. 

"Hey there, Tes. Looks like I am the first to show up...again in our little party." The woman flipped through her menu and materialized the massive ornate saya in her hand, "Guess what? I just got my Grandmaster rank in Katana. Unlocked the fifth tier not too long ago, along with a new Tier 2 blade! Ishida was kind enough to get this crafted for me. A whopping six extra base damage on this thing. I honestly...can't wait to run it through something." There was a slight mischievous and devilish foxy grin on her face as she hugged the sheathed weapon close to her chest. 

"Oh! But I'll help you round up whatever you need help with, is this going to be just a normal hunting trip or are you looking for something particular? Mats...its Aincrad's most wanted form of currency right now, especially now when everyone needs to update their gear, well, those who have been slaving away in their levels." The woman was talking up a storm, but she had finally shut up when she realized she was talking too much. It was a feeling that the old Opal was trying to crawl her way out of the thick chains that had once bound her down. 

The furnace flared up right in front of Ishida as he was working to get the temperature right for some more crafting.  The flames stretched up and reached for the heights of his face and while they narrowly succeeded, he managed to pull his head back just in time to not get his eyebrows singed off.  If such a thing could happen in Aincrad.  "Wow, that was a close one.." he muttered underneath his breath.  He swore that someday he would get good at being a blacksmith.

Ping!  A noise alerted him that he had received a message.  Taking a step back away from the roaring furnace, Ishida opened up his menu and started to look over his message.  Hey, it was from Teselmar!

"Material hunting?  Sounds way better than losing my shop to a fire outbreak.  I better take a break from this."

---

Ishida was looking at his map as he wandered about the grasslands to verify he was heading in the right direction.  As soon as he minimized his map, he looked up and saw the duo of Teselmar and Opal in the distance.  He thought about sneaking up on the two of them and giving them a little surprise--but then he was hit with a flashback of the last time he pulled a stunt like that.  The boy was sure if he kept it up, he'd be dead one of these days.

Instead, he did the exact opposite.

"OPAL.  HEY OPAL.  OPAL!  JUST LETTING YOU KNOW I'M ON MY WAY!  DON'T BE ALARMED!  I'M APPROACHING NOW!  I'M NOT SNEAKING UP THIS TIME." he hollered through his cupped hands as he started towards them from the top of a small hill.  The only sound other than his yelling was the steady flowing river nearby that led into one of the largest lakes on the first floor.  In hindsight, he realized he was probably going to get hit for this one too.

Teselmar smiled brightly as he felt Opal's touch on his shoulder, and turned to face the woman who'd captured his attention. "Hey there, beautiful." He took a step forward as she spoke, and listened to her speak a mile a minute. She's cute when she's flustered. He took a look at her weapon, seeing the excellent craftsmanship. "Wow, that thing could cut through a tank." he postured. Flipping his rapier from his belt, he presented it to Opal for inspection. "Ishida crafted me a new blade as well. It's going to help me deal a lot more damage. Thanks for coming along today, I'm trying to gather enough materials to start an artisan shop." Teselmar smiled flirtatiously, and leveled a steamy gaze at her. "When we're done, let me repay you by buying you dinner."

Ishida could be heard over the hill, and Teselmar turned with a grin. "Hey buddy!" he called, waving to the young man. "Thanks for comin' with!"

A soft crimson streak flushed across her face when he called her beautiful, Opal gave a nervous laugh before clearing her throat. So he seemed to be ready to take on the Profession Quest and an Artisan as well. She didn't peg him as the crafty sort of kind of guy, but there was a niche for good artisans in the game, it was evident that most player prefered the Blacksmith and forging their own weapons. As Teselmar thanked and flirted with her, she thought she heard him ask her out to dinner. Rose on her cheeks, the woman didn't know how to respond to that, well she did. And she did so with a quick nod, "That would be nice...Thank you." But the romance seemed to end there for the moment as her name was bellowed out from behind her. 

Opal's shoulders rose from the loud roaring of her name. The woman slowly looked over her shoulder, "That boy..." she said almost growling as he finally made his way to them both. If it wasn't for the Katana he crafted for her, she would have used her other to shimmy the length of the blade down his throat. Relaxing once more it seemed the three of them were once again back in action together. Opal's crimson smile registered as she gave only the slightest of waves to Ishida, "Hey~"

With that, it was time to get down to business, "Alright. You'll be needing some materials. I'm gonna hunt down some mobs in the field alone. They'll scale to my level and I should get some nice mats for you. I know you kinda wanted to do this together, but it might be more worthwhile to split up. If you two need anything, I'll just be a voice's throw away." 

Opal removed the slender blade from it's ornate sheath, she had been tickled pink by the enhanced version of her Masamune since she had first laid eyes on it. And with the revealing of the new sword arts from her Grandmastering the skill, she was curious to how much damage she could do with a sweep of her new blade. The thoughts made her daydream slaying massive ogres and dragons with just a sweep of her blade, and she stood there almost drooling from the fact and starring out into open expanse of the field. 

Once Ishida reached the two of them, he seemed to calm down a bit.  He gestured salutations to them with a simple raise of his hand in the air before using that same hand to go about equipping his armaments; a blackened shield materialized on his forearm and just beneath it,on his hip, his sheathed sword.  Looking around at the world through those rusted eyes, he took in the scenery.  As piss poor of a judgement call as it was to trap thousands of people in a death game, at least Kayaba was bringing him to destinations he never thought he'd see outside of the proverbial walls of Ikebukuro.  This place, despite being just Floor One, was beautiful.

After a moment, he snapped back to reality.

"Hey, nice place for a quest.  All right!  I've done this hundreds of times, Tes, so you just stick with me!  The game plan is... well," he paused.  His armored gauntlet of a hand came to the back of his head and nervously scratched at his scalp through his inky black hair.  "I guess there is no real game plan.  You kill whatever I group up.  Sound good?  Okay!  Here we go!"

Ishida turned on heel and starting tearing off toward the bank of the river, where a single stone crab was clapping its pincers together.  This particular river crab wasn't quite the same as the one you'd find everyone chowing down on at festivals--no, this thing was triple the size and twice as mean looking.  The teenager got right into its face,right along side the river, and howled.

Not just howled as in performing tanking skill Howl--he actually howled like a wolf along with it.  "AWOOOO~!!"

Much to his surprise, and perhaps regret, he managed to attract not only the one menacing crab right before him but three more that were lurking just beneath the surface of the river.  Each one made the slow crawl out of the water and surrounded Ishida, ready to give him a good snip for disturbing their peace.

• ID# 45791
  • MD: 1 (CRITICAL MISS.)

He was too fortified for them to even cause simple annoyance to the boy.

Spoiler

Ishida
HP: 44
EN: 11

Crabby Crab  HP: 24/24 [DMG: 18][MIT: 6](Hate: 3)

Edited by Ishida

Teselmar saw Opal's point, and nodded. "Have fun, kill lots of monsters!" He waved as she put a bit of room between them and herself. Turning, he watched Ishida equip his iron skin. He admired the invulnerable nature of the heavy armor, and gave him a thumbs up. "Okay, line 'em up!" He withdrew the rapier from his scabbard, a wild grin on his face. The crabs came up out of the water, surrounding Ishida, their claws clanging off of his armor with a cacophony of scratching noises. While he drew their attention and hatred, he began sizing them up, determining where would be best to strike. 

ID# 45850 results: Battle: 5 (miss)

He attempted to skewer one of the creatures off of the armored youth, but the angled carapace turned his blade at the end of the strike. "Damn, hold still..." He hated missing, especially by such a thin margin.

Spoiler

Teselmar
HP: 48

Crabby Crab  HP: 24/24 [DMG: 18][MIT: 6](Hate: 1)

Edited by Teselmar

OOC: I'll be letting you two handle that, I'll be making my own posts as well for some Mat Grinding. 

Opal smiled, "Let me know if you guys need help," she was sure they could handle it whatever was thrown their way. As Opal made a small turn towards the river side, a quarry of polished stone caught attention of her eyes. There were the standing behemoths of Champion class Iron Golems on the first floor. That was a perfect group of mobs to help entertain her new blade. Unsheathing the Masamune X from its ornate saya, the woman flicked the blade to the side and got into a ready position to <<Charge>> her opponents. With a kick off the ground, the wind blew through her dark locks of hair as she swept her blade through the iron clad bodies of the massive Golems. The blade burned with an ivory and silver glow as it pierced the hardshells of her foes, their armor crumbling from the blunt edge of her blade as they folded and groaned. 

As her sword art diminished, the the blade turned into a defensive state as Opal stood her ground and waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike back. The Champion Level mobs of this floor grew angry and attacked. Their slow bodies moved towards her, their massive fists coming inches of her but he quick movements made the evasion possible as she danced through their attacks like they were nothing. 

<<Battle Engaged>>

Opals HP: 128/128
En: 20/32
Sword Art: Gen Getsu, 12 Energy, 58 Dmg

Champion Iron Golem 1: 17/75 || Mit: 20 || Dmg: 30
Champion Iron Golem 2: 17/75 || Mit: 20 || Dmg: 30
Champion Iron Golem 3: 17/75 || Mit: 20 || Dmg: 30
Champion Iron Golem 4: 17/75 || Mit: 20 || Dmg: 30

ID: 45851
BD: 5+3 = Hit
MD: 4 Miss
Loot: -

Edited by Opal

A swing (or a stab) and a miss on Teselmar's behalf.  Ishida was glad that his job wasn't one that required doing the damage, he had terrible luck when it came to hitting mobs.  He just wasn't built that way, man.

"Hey man, don't worry about it!  These suckers aren't going anywhere and there is no way they are gonna take me down!  Hahaha~!" the tanking teen cackled maniacally as he commented on the feebleness of these low level mobs.  Looking around at them as they clacked and clanged against his armor, he considered his options.  On one hand, he could maybe take a swing at them and help whittle them down but really, he just wanted to make sure they stayed focused on him.

So, rather than perform a sword art, he went the route of unleashing another Howl to make sure he kept their attention locked down.

• ID# 45897
  • MD: 4 (Miss)

The crabs were furious--perhaps it was because of their anger that they were unable to connect a successful strike against the taunting tank.

Spoiler

Ishida

Crabby Crab  HP: 24/24 [DMG: 18][MIT: 6](Hate: 6)

Edited by Ishida

Black ebony strands of hair trailed behind her face and eyes as Opal slayed the foul creatures with the same sword art as previously used. The silver pulsating energy that wrapped around the lengthy blade slowly diminished as the Champion level mobs fell to rubble. Flicking her blade to the right side of her body, the woman meant to purify it from the digital matter that had been encrusted onto the blade. She sheathe the blade and collected the materials and the col sack that was left behind as she rejoined a few feet away from the battle between Ishida and Teselmar verse some very crabby looking crabs. 

"You guys got this, right?" 

<<Battle Engaged>>

Opals HP: 128/128
En: 8/32
Sword Art:  Gen Getsu, 12 Energy, 58 Dmg

Champion Iron Golem 1: 17/75 || Mit: 20 || Dmg: 30
Champion Iron Golem 2: 17/75 || Mit: 20 || Dmg: 30
Champion Iron Golem 3: 17/75 || Mit: 20 || Dmg: 30
Champion Iron Golem 4: 17/75 || Mit: 20 || Dmg: 30

ID: 46019
BD:7 +6 = Hit
MD: Dead
LD:  13 [+1500 Col]
Loot: +4 Mats

Edited by Opal

Weaving his way in and around the crustaceans, Teselmar smiled happily as one of the crab monsters took a passing swing at him. "I think we're handling it fairly well." He said, ducking an errant claw. The creatures were mostly preoccupied with their armored rival, who seemed to be drawing most of their crabby ire. They burbled and chittered, bouncing off of the blacksmith's armor like hailstones off the side of a tank.

While their attention was elsewhere, Teselmar raised his rapier in a peculiar fashion, bringing it up, then down to his right side. As he completed the motion, viridian energy enveloped the blade. <<Sweep>> was not a particularly high level sword art, but it was the only one he had in his arsenal that might hit multiple opponents. He dashed forward, trying to finally do some damage to the creature's that must have resembled a Maryland crab fisherman's dream come true. 

ID# 46093 results: Battle: 10 (crit!)

Teselmar's blade whirred in a blaze of emerald, as he pushed himself as much as the system would let him. Once, twice he slashed the creatures, painting a picture of violence in glowing red pixels. They chittered at him, some beginning to turn. They might attack him next if Ishida hadn't been there. He tried to catch a glimpse of Opal out of the corner of his eye. As much as he was his own man, he enjoyed the thought of impressing her, even slightly. 

Spoiler

Teselmar
EN: 7

Crabby Crab  HP: 12/24 [DMG: 18][MIT: 6](Hate: 3)

Edited by Teselmar

Vice Commander Opal shook her head, her small fingers prowling through the darkness of her hair before it was lifted skywards with a flurry, sending the ebony curtain away from her amber gaze. With the corner of her red lips pulling to one side, she smiled and examined the area around them. Perhaps while she was here she could scope out any undiscovered nodes that might be ripe for the picking. Not too far away from where she was standing, she noticed a rather particular fruit bearing tree. Taking one last look at their battle, Opal nodded in approval, they could handle that on their own. Opal would go out and discover if any of that fruit could be extracted from the large tree, it was going to be a long day, might as well enjoy some fresh fruit. Searching around the ground, she found non that seemed to be edible. However, the ones in the tree...looked more appetizing. Now...how to go about getting one? 

ID: 46107
LD: 14 [Fail]
<<ENR: 1/3>>

Edited by Opal

"Hey, there you go!  Nice hit, Teselmar!"  Ishida was grinning from ear to ear as the crabs' health dropped straight down to the halfway mark.  This was no big deal to him--he could get hit by these crustaceans all day long and they wouldn't get any farther than maybe chipping their own claws on his armor.  "Another one of those and these chittering chumps are toast!"

The vocal teen was pretty unfamiliar with tanking aside from the hours he spent in the fields by himself, getting knocked around by oxen until they got tired or ultimately ended themselves on his thorns aura.  The one thing he did know to watch was the group's Hate distribution.  He knew he wanted to be the one with the most Hate in order to hold the attention of the mob while the rest of the party went to work on defeating it.

Looking now, Ishida was topping that Hate meter by a few segments by not by much.  The only way he really knew how to gain Hate at the moment was through the use of his Howl skill.  So, he just kept on using it--whether or not that was a rookie mistake or he just wanted to make damn sure that he had the focus of those crabs, the world may never know.

• ID# 46133
  • MD: 7 (Thorns triggers.)
  • Thorns DMG: 18
  • CD: 8 (Regen triggers.)
  • Regen HP: 9
  • LD: 14

Aa~and it looked like this bout of combat was going to end the same way most, if not all, of his battle ended, by the enemies hitting against his armor and suffering the considerable damage afforded by his Thorns enhancement.  One by one, the group of crusty creatures walked up to him with pincers at the ready and struck, only to suffer more damage than they actually dealt.  They exploded in turn, raining pixels all around him like a series of really lame fireworks.

"Whoops.  I'll try to let you kill the next ones, I swear!"

Spoiler

Ishida

Crabby Crab  HP: 0/24 [DMG: 18][MIT: 6](Hate: 6)

[+4 Materials. +480 Col.]

Edited by Ishida

Teselmar rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment. He really hadn't done that much at all to defeat the monsters, only getting one attack off during the skirmish. He gave Ishida a pat on his armored shoulder, sheathing his weapon. "No sweat 'Shida, I'm just glad you're on my side. You kept 'em off of me." He looked around, seeing some of the <<Water Gems>> that the crab creatures had dropped as loot. "Well, that's a start. I bet you could lure a few other critters up out of the lake for round 2." Seeing Opal a little ways away searching for what looked like fruit, he decided to take a little look of his own, see if he could scrounge anything up while Ishida drew out some more creatures to farm.

ID# 46173 results: Loot 17 (success!)

There was a plainer fruit tree of a smaller size near Ishida and his position, and Teselmar saw an opportunity to collect some of its bounty. Hopping atop the first low branch, he swung himself up to a higher one, then another within a few seconds. He mused that if he'd had the Acrobatics mod, he could have simply leapt to the top branch, but as it stood he could still maneuver fairly quickly amongst the boughs. Crucible flashed in the sunlight, and a fruit of unknown classification fell into his hands. Leaping down, he tucked and rolled as he came up next to Ishida. "Okay buddy, let's go!"

+1 Mat

Edited by Teselmar

Ishida watched with a peculiar look on his face as Teselmar made his way into the heights of a tree through jumping and swinging.  The teenager couldn't dream of doing something like that, especially in his armor.  He'd be lucky if he made it two feet off the ground wearing all that heavy weight.  As the acrobatic swordsman dropped from the tree and rolled up next to him, he just kind of shrugged.  "Okay, let's do this!"

It was just another day with his friends.

He ran down the bank of the river in search of some more of those troublesome crustaceans, which eventually led to him running himself through knee deep water to reach the other side where another group of crabs awaited.  He may not have howled like a wild beast this time but Ishida did employ the Howl technique to gather up the four pinching pests for Teselmar to take care of.

• ID# 46177
  • MD: 2 (Miss)

They couldn't quite find the sweet spot in his armor and instead just bashed their claws against his fortifications.  He felt invincible compared to this seafood.

Edited by Ishida

Teselmar saw the captain's special shamble up onto the lake shore to engage Ishida. Their shells dripped with the clear water as they gurgled, scraping claw against harsh metal. Ishida didn't look bothered at all as they struggled to pry his protection open like a tin can, ultimately failing to gain purchase. Their attention was concentrated solely on the tanky young man, so Teselmar moved in. 

ID# 46181 results: Battle: 3 (miss)

Crucible was an impressive weapon, as good a sword as Teselmar could wield. However, the trajectory didn't seem to be right on his first thrust, and he wasn't able to skewer the first of the crabs. It seemed to barely take notice of him, as Ishida's Howl had enraged it beyond what his weapon could do at the moment. "Keep 'em busy, I'll try a different angle!" He called out, circling the mob evasively. 

Spoiler

Teselmar
EN: 8

Edited by Teselmar

ID: 46190
LD: 5
<<ENR: 2/3>>

Examining the tree, Opal placed a hand over the twisted and gnarly root of the trunk and looked up. Her tummy made a slow growling sound as she saw many of the fruits dangling from the branches high above. She was pretty dead set on getting one of those scrumptious and tasty looking fruits. Her attention was drawn to the sound of battle once more. Her eyes darted over to the two males of the party to make sure they were able to handle whatever it is they were tackling. Giving a quick nod, she found their situation in favor of themselves so there was no immediate danger or threat. Looking down at the rolling emerald blades of grass, the woman took several steps back until she was a good few feet away. Getting down in a sprinter's position, she dashed across the field and sprinted until she made contact with the tree with her shoulder, slamming hard against the mighty tall, fruit bearing tree. It had shaken to the core and Opal backed up expecting a rain of fruit to fall from the tree. But as she looked up for a few moments pass, there was nothing, "Ugh...are you [censored] kidding me?" she said with a slight annoyance in her tone.  

Edited by Opal

"You got it!" Ishida replied as he took a mock swing at the clapping crabs before using that same swing to bang his sword against his shield repeatedly.  Each jerk of his sword caught the light of the sun just right to cast a blinding reflection in just about every direction but at least his sword looked magnificent.  "Here, crabby crab-crabs~  come and get your dinner!"  The boy kept hollering to get their attention while Teselmar maneuvered around to get a new angle of attack against the shell-armored beasts.

He employed Howl again to keep their aggro.  At this level of Hate, he didn't need to worry about losing it and putting his friend in danger.  He felt good doing what he was doing, even if it was pretty simple in comparison to mounting frustration of not hitting a much needed attack.

"Hey, don't worry about missing!  That's what we're out here for--you're gonna be a crafter soon and be able to supplement your Accuracy!"

• ID# 46207
  • MD: 3 (Miss)

The crabs came at him like moths to a flame but that didn't mean they were going to get through his resistances.

Edited by Ishida

Dipping and dancing his way between the hulking lake monsters, Teselmar charged up another sword art. Hopefully, he'd be able to penetrate the thick shells, and get at the meaty center... I should really stop farming materials on an empty stomach. He lashed out with Sweep once again, trying to pop their legs open and dip them in butter... I mean, slay them. Yeah, no eating crab today.

ID# 46223 results:Battle: 6 (Hit!)

His fencing blade blurred twice, tracing the lines of crimson across each of their legs, making them gurgle angrily. He dodged another reactive flail, and butterfly kicked himself away from the crabby mob. Hopefully that had done some damage. Teselmar was just at the right angle to also see Opal run straight into a fruit tree, and swear at it angrily. Uh... okay...

Teselmar
HP: 48/48
EN: 4

Crabby Crab  HP: 17/24 [DMG: 18][MIT: 6](Hate: 2)

Edited by Teselmar

ID: 46227
LD: 15 [+1 Mat]
<<ENR: 3/3>>

Sizing the tall fruit bearing tree once more, Opal slid a smaller blade from a crimson saya. The katana was known as the Dragon's Breath, and while not nearly as strong as her Masamune X, it was strong enough to cut tree limbs. The woman once more took several steps back to get a running charge at the tree, hold the smaller katana in an inverted style as she dashed across the emerald grass. It bent to her whim as she made a crazy dash towards the tree. Instead of charging it, her feet wall climbed up the trunk of the base where she kicked off at the last minute, doing an aerial acrobatic maneuver and slashed a limb of the tree as she fell towards the ground. Down she came and landed on her feet, hand outstretched and the tree limb falling in place.

"Well, that was a bit more difficult than I had wanted it to be..." the woman ripped two big pieces of fruit from the tree branch and discarded the left over. One was for herself to eat, while the other she would give to Teselmar. Materials were materials, they just became generic items once they went into the inventory. Opening her mouth wide and plopping her ass on the ground, she took a chunk of the mealy fruit and watched the battle ensue down the hill. 

Edited by Opal