[PP-F1] Mats and meeting (Earning a living) (Brax) Complete

Needing more mats I turned my efforts back to the professions trainer and after a short conversation I accepted the bearded trainer to do the quest earning a living once more. I laughed to myself once again because it registered to me that this quest will be done so many times just as an effort to grind away and get loads of mats. I took a deep breath and left the crafting hall in search of mobs to kill for mats and to finish this quest once more.  I hoped that this run through could be more eventful than before. My eyes were drawn by a pack of wolves in the distance so I focused in that General direction and drew my curved blade from my side. Silverlight gleaned in the noon Rays of the sun and a smile came to my face as I closed the distance between me and the wolves. 

Edited by Coddexx

ID 46793

Spoiler

BD 9 +2 ACC LD 10 MoBD 3

Brax 60/60 EN 4/15

Husky Boar 1 -8/32 DEAD [7 + 1crit x 6 Trample Act - 8 MIT] = 40 DMG

Husky Boar 2 -8/32 DEAD [7 + 1crit x 6 Trample Act - 8 MIT] = 40 DMG

Husky Boar 3 -8/32 DEAD [7 + 1crit x 6 Trample Act - 8 MIT] = 40 DMG

Husky Boar 4 -8/32 DEAD [7 + 1crit x 6 Trample Act - 8 MIT] = 40 DMG

As always, Brax was out and about in the fields, though this time he had instead chosen to return to Floor One, having not been there for several weeks.  The fields, that is, not the town, as he had just been in the main square so as to drop off his final snowflake earnings from the slightly higher floors.  It was novel to have returned, and he was much stronger now than he had been in the beginning.  Even so, the beasts of the floor were an ever-present danger to anyone.  Especially those who did not maintain their focus in combat, though Brax was not among that number.  His alexithymia prevented such things from getting in or out.  The hefty boars he was currently engaged in combat with were worthy enough prey, and he would make short work of them as he often did.

His shoulder dropped low and his feet firmly planted, the enigmatic man tackled the closest of the creatures he could reach, the assault launching his body through the motions of his Trample Act, and with a final two swipes of his axe the mob dispersed into a pixelated shower, leaving only a small smattering of loot behind.

After battle, Brax was wiping off his axe, when in the far distance he could see a young man also hunting in the wilds, engaged with a pack of wolves.  Curiosity tugged at his consciousness, and so the heavily armored man began to stride over, eyes roaming the area in search of other prey, and perhaps some mats as well to round out his hunting trip.

+4 materials

Edited by Brax

ID#46913 BD:2 MD:4

As I closed the distance between the wolves and I Silverlight was now fully ready in my hand. I remember when I had first gotten this blade and now after so long it was nice to know that she was still very reliable. The four wolves seemed occupied in the distance so I quickly ran up behind them readying a blow. However at the last second I stagger stepped and missed my swing. However I was easily able to dodge the four wolves as well. They snarled and bit at me but I simply jumped out of the ray holding my blade tight readying myself for another attack. Their fur glistened off the sunlight but I knew that they would soon be dead and those furs would be mine. 

Coddexx 56/56 [Energy 13/14]

Wolf 32/32

Wolf 32/32

Wolf 32/32 

Wolf 32/32

Edited by Coddexx

ID 46920

LD 14

As the stalwart stoic drew closer to the battlegrounds, Brax's eyes gazed about the fields in a continued attempt at mat searching.  He was eminently more successful in his gatherings when hunting down monsters, but his depleted reserves told a different tale, thus he would need to search more conventionally at least for the moment.  A sharp gleam reached his eyes even from so far a distance as there was between himself and the battle, the glare of a weapon bright silver in the daylight, distracting him somewhat from the task at hand.  Brax drew ever closer to the fight, his intrigue increasing all the more given the silver light that he had seen.  Such a strange weapon...

Edited by Brax

ID#46921 BD:9 MD:6 (9-3) (Thorns) CD:9 (recovery)

Having missed I got frustrated but I was glad that my armor was doing its job. I had just gotten the cloak of violet dawn from a tailor that raised my evasion allowing me to move much quicker and not take as many hits. I focused my efforts at the wolves and held my blade high readying for a sword art. I charged up the skill Oval Crescent and as my blade took on a deep purple glow I swung down at the wolves in five varying strikes my blade flashing through the air  I was hit by the wolves but then I watched their health bars plummet and they exploded into clouds of pixels. I felt a cooling rush from my armor regaining my energy. Landing on the ground breathing deeply I watched the dust fade away. I took the four pelts from the ground and smiled to myself sheathing my blade. I then noticed another player in the distance and made my way to him.

Coddexx 52/56 [Energy 13/14]

-6 from thorns and - 35 from attack 

Wolf 0/32

+ 1 mats

Edited by Coddexx

ID 46922

LD 10

Brax had drawn close enough to see the conclusion of the fight, and the subsequent victory for the dark haired individual with the odd-looking blade.  It was curved, and he had not yet seen such a weapon whilst roaming the fields of Aincrad, though having said that he had not been adventuring overlong.  It was different, and one thing that intrigued Brax in his short remembrances of existence was different, being that he himself was a different sort of person, unfeeling and uncaring in expression if not personality.  The weapon distracted him yet again, tearing his focus from a search for materials as he made his way.  His analytical thoughts focused on the tool with a careful eye, as the lightly armored man, no perhaps boy would be more appropriate, turned to approach him.  His armor, too, offered an interesting experience, as just before the wolves met their demise by his hand, his armor had given off an aura of some sort, one that had seemingly harmed the creatures to the point of death.  It was... fascinating.  The distance between them closed, and Brax called out, "Hail, adventurer.  That was...a most interesting battle.  I have not seen such a sword before.  May I...inquire as to what it is?"  He asked his question with a straightforward look, not one of curiosity but rather one befitting a investigator in search of answers.

Edited by Brax

Having grown more focused on the man in front of me I walked closer to him. I heard his question and smiled. Drawing my blade again and showing it to him I saw some wolves running near and used the same sword art as before  I took a deep breath as my blade was enveloped in purple. Taking a bit of damage but slicing them into pixels I fell back down feeling my armor's effects take hold as a chill went back my back and the purple aura clawed out at the wolves. I took their pelts and then returned my attention back to the player next to me. I took hold of the blade and handed it out to him. "You want to check it out? I'm Coddexx by the way"

ID#46924 BD:9 MD:7(10-3)(thorns) CD:10 (recovery)

Coddexx 48/56 [Energy 13/14]

-6 from thorns and - 35 from attack 

Wolf 0/32

+ 1 mats

Edited by Coddexx

ID 46925

LD 17

Brax reached out and ran his gauntleted hand over the proffered blade, making sure not to remove the weapon from the player's grip.  He seemed to remember something about the game not allowing other people to wield a person's equipped gear, therefore he simply gave the piece a good examination with his eyes and hand.  The basket-hilt was of impeccable design, the red alloy contrasting beautifully with the moonlight colored blade.  Curving back, the blade itself was etched with runes, possibly a reference to the item's name or the power it wielded.  Turning it over in his hand, Brax could tell the weapon was quite sharp, sharp enough to leave an impression upon whatever it attacked and still leave a lingering bit of damage behind.  While the man had little desire for the exquisite beauty the weapon evoked, he could certainly appreciate the skill of the one who had crafted it, in addition to the strength that the weapon could bring to bear.

After he had finished, Brax drew his hand away and looked the boy in the eye, taking stock of him for the first time.  The dark haired male stood several inches shorter than him, forcing Brax's head to peer down to look at him clearly.  Even so, the fellow carried himself decently enough, a confidence in his step and gleam in his gaze that showed a man that saw the world through a trusting eye.  It was...different than what Brax had seen during his time at Berringer's.  People there were...unpredictable, to say the least, and to find trust in their eyes was farfetched at best.  Not necessarily knowing how to communicate with the man, he simply replied, "My...thanks...for the opportunity.  I...am Brax."  His status window gave a 'PING' at him once, informing him that his EN had recovered.  The moment passing, he stared at the ground where the battle had finished, noticing a wolf's claw that the boy had missed; picking it up, Brax turned back to look at the boy and stated the obvious: "So...you are...out hunting today?"

+1 material

Edited by Brax

ID#46931 BD:6 (5+1) MD:1 CD:11 
After Brax was finished inspecting my blade I smiled and put back in its sheathe on my side. I then looked at him and said " Yeah I'm on a hunt. I'm repeating a the quest Earning a Living. I have been in need for some mats for my potions." I looked around and to my surprise I saw yet another group of wolves that I wanted to make quick work of " Hold on I'll be right back." I said as I took Silverlight and ran into the fray of wolves. I used my sword art Death creep Charging up my blade and as it started to pulsate energy I brought it down hard slamming the  ground, reducing the wolves to pixels without them touching me. I laughed, picked up my loot and made my way back to Brax exhausted. " Sorry when I see an opportunity I usually take it. I'm pretty worn so I'm gonna let my energy regen while I look for some herbs for my potions. You wanna tag along?"

Coddexx 48/56 [Energy 13/14]

-36 from attack 

Wolf 0/36
Wolf 0/36
Wolf 0/36
Wolf 0/36
+4 Mats +720 col

Edited by Coddexx

ID 46937

Spoiler

BD 10 +2 ACC LD 16 MoBD 4

Brax 60/60 EN 4/15

Dark Wolf 1 0/43 DEAD [7 + 2crit x 6 Trample Act - 11 MIT] = 43 DMG

Dark Wolf 2 0/43 DEAD [7 + 2crit x 6 Trample Act - 11 MIT] = 43 DMG

Dark Wolf 3 0/43 DEAD [7 + 2crit x 6 Trample Act - 11 MIT] = 43 DMG

Dark Wolf 4 0/43 DEAD [7 + 2crit x 6 Trample Act - 11 MIT] = 43 DMG

'Earning a Living?  That is...the profession quest, if I recall.  I suppose it must have a double purpose, allowing those who have already completed it to amass more crafting supplies, should they need them.  Logical,' Brax muse quietly to himself while maintaining a look out for other enemies.  His energy, too, had returned, and his axe pulsed on his back, the veterans it housed seeking blood and battle.  And so it was, as Coddexx returned to explain his energy loss, Brax saw another pack of wolves emerge from the shadows nearby, having possibly followed the pack he had just killed in search of their prey in order to steal it from them.  Since Coddexx had used up his own, Brax would be forced to deal with it himself.  Failing to reply to Coddexx's comment, he rushed forwards himself with his shoulderguards low, connecting hard with the lead wolf and his body automatically shifted through his Trample Act, twin slices bisecting the mob in half and dispersing their pixels into the ether.  Sheathing his own weapon, Brax turned back to the young one and finally answered, "Indeed, I suppose there is strength in numbers, young Coddexx."  He crossed the space between them and continued: "Where...would you wish to search?"

+4 materials

+860 col

Edited by Brax

ID#46996 LD:15

Thinking about Brax's question my eyes wandered to a small opening in the side of a hill. The rocky opening looked promising and my sense of adventure gave me want to go and explore. I could probably find some sort of precious stones in the cave up ahead. "Let's go and check out over there" I said gesturing toward the rocky opening " I'm not sure about you but I've always had an air for adventure. We can probably find something of interest." Letting my energy come back I walked slowly to the cave excited to explore the depths within. I hadn't been underground yet in this world but the idea of adventure got my blood flowing. As I got close to the opening a glint of light caught my attention and I found a small silver stone that I then added it to my inventory 

+1 mat

<1/3 energy Regen>

Edited by Coddexx

ID 46999

LD 9

Following Coddexx's lead, Brax went underground tracing the young man's footprints with his own.  It was nothing new to him, spelunking through caves in Aincrad; in fact, several of his more notable hunting trips had lead the player deep into the recesses of the mountains of Floor Two.  One he recalled had lead him to the castle ruins where he had found that bandit respawn point, after encountering a bevy of diseased trolls and sub-earthen snakes in the tunnels underground.  His wary senses kept on high alert; many dangers lay hidden in the darkness of the stone.  Those same senses kept a close eye out for materials, as well.  The dark haired boy was having better luck than Brax here, though; his eyes could not yet pierce the hidden veil that held a suitable crafting supply, even though Brax for the moment had no use for them save in trade.  Commenting on both Coddexx's statement and his own inner thoughts, Brax said, "No, I do not have such a...'sense of adventure.'  There is...only the task to accomplish.  A...job to complete.  To speak of jobs, does your...profession...go through many supplies?  I ask because...I have yet to embark on the...quest, have yet to choose...a 'professional' path."

Edited by Brax

ID#47000 LD:11
As I went inside the cave and began looking around I noticed that Brax was quite different from me. I could tell that his mind was seemingly one-tracked and had little use for outside emotions. This suspicion was confirmed when he had said that he had never had a sense of adventure. That comment through me off a bit since that is mainly what drives me through my journey. It's my motivation to continue on and find new things to do as well as to help others in need. The longing to know and see and do more that I can. However Brax didn't share this state of mind. I looked at him and said. " Of course there is a job to complete and a task to accomplish but do you not get joy from where the journey takes you? Just look around, this cave. There are secrets all around that are limitless. I look around and see opportunity and possibilities. I'm sorry it's not the same for you." As I walked deeper into the cave my hand rested on the cold wall beside me as I looked toward the ground in search of more materials. However nothing came to view nor did anything call out to me as something that could be used. Answering his question I said "Yeah as an alchemist I use quite a bit of materials. Actual one of the professions to use the most. In order to craft a crystal it requires two as opposed to the usual one mat, but I guess it's worth it I can make some pretty nice potions. Also it never hurts to have a supply of health potions." Thinking I said "What type of crafting profession are you interested in?"
<Energy Regen 2/3>

Edited by Coddexx

ID 47031

LD 14

"I can...appreciate the skills of the designers who constructed this cave, I can...understand the time and effort involved in building a world such as this, the dedication that was expended in the effort, but pass that...the 'wonder' and 'joy' that you so freely experience...it is beyond my capabilities."   What more could Brax say, in regards to how he was?  The Alexithymia left him seemingly cold and distant from the world at large, unable to connect with even the most friendly of people.  It made forming relationships...difficult at best.  Even with those who, like this Coddexx, were open and relatively friendly.  And, it was not as if Brax did not seek out new things and experiences, simply that he failed to acquire the same amount of 'joy in the journey' that others took for granted.  "I'm...sorry...that my presence causes problems for you.  You are...not the first to comment on the effect...I have on others.  It is...who I am.  Unfortunately."

Coddexx continued to speak, sharing several things about his alchemical skills, and the massive drain it made on material supplies.  While he shared, Brax kept up his look-around, seeing a rock glimmer in the dark light of the cave.  He reached for it, for a closer examination, but as he gripped it the stone crumbled into a fine powder and vanished.  His search a failure, Brax replied to the young one's questions and comments: "You use many materials?  Then...I suppose you must have done this...Earning a Living...several times over.  Perhaps, I too should be an alchemist.  My hunting trips have left me with a bevy of materials, and I have not yet found a use for them.  Most of my...equipment...is up to par, and as of yet, I have been...lucky enough to obtain several consumables from my monster drops."  Brax considered the issue for a moment, but then shook his head.  "Frankly, though, I do not feel.. called...to any profession currently.  None of them...appeal to me.  One day...perhaps that will change."

Edited by Brax

ID#47044 LD:15
At Brax's words I abruptly stopped and Looked at him. " Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression but your presence causes no problems for me at all. I mean sure it is different talking to you since you seem to have a difficulty connecting with feelings or whatever you want to describe it as but I would never let your difference change my mood or have me form some sort of a callous against you. Thinking about it I would think that in some situations being disconnected can be beneficial. It would let you look at the situation head on and be as Objective as possible. I only look at it from an interested view because you seem to be the polar opposite of me. I can learn to understand it a little more or at least try my hardest to." Looking at the cave around me my mind wandered and I truly felt for Brax I saw the area around me and I felt a rush of emotion and it made me wonder how Brax could deal without Emotion since it is something so prevalent in my life. 

Returning My attention to the discussion of professions. "If you would like you could save yourself the trouble of being an alchemist and I could help supply you with any potions you may need. Instead you could look at another avenue. I know you said that You weren't interested in any at the moment but I think I have two Ideas that might spark your interest. Either Fisherman or Merchant." I kicked at the ground and revealed a shiny red stone that I picked up and added to my inventory. " Fisherman because there is a lot to the craft that I think you may like. There is the waiting that you take in order to get a catch, you can have a lot of time to wade in your thoughts. Also there are a lot of interesting buffs that fish can give you wich you could look through and learn." Taking a breath I then brought up the Merchant "And you may be interested in being a merchant because it is one of the most in depth professions. Not only can you sell and buy things from other players you could also appraise Items and a many other things that would be analytically involving."

+1 Mat

<Energy Regen 3/3>

Edited by Coddexx

ID 47046

LD 1

"How...pragmatic of you," said Brax, commenting on his statement.  Coddexx was a very interesting boy, he thought to himself, eager to engage in so many new things, like trying to draw blood from a stone, so to speak.  In a rare moment of expression, a wan smile crossed Brax's face, there one second and gone the next, barely imperceptible on his stony features.  Seeing the wonder in the boy's eyes as he scanned the cave and all it's glory, reminded the stoic of his ultimate purposes: to find his emotions and reclaim his past.  If only to complete himself, as the young one before seemed to be, with a confidence and assurance of character that was...inspiring, at least in a way.  As Coddexx looked out on the cavern's splendor, he picked up a red stone of indeterminate value, and pocketing the prize in his inventory he mentioned the jobs of Fisherman and Merchant, regaling Brax with their benefits and how...involved he could become in them.  "Interesting..." he said, mulling over the ideas.  Certainly, to spend his time gathering fish would be a most...relaxing endeavor.  And, if he recalled from the manual they had received when starting the game, the fish stacked with the cooking enhancements out there, giving people even more enhancements to their stat lines.  The challenge, too, intrigued the man.  There were many merchants out in the world, and each was able to appraise to their hearts content, but as far as fishermen were concerned, the truly skilled were few and far between.  "Perhaps...I will partake of the fisherman's profession...one day.  For now, though, my time is...otherwise occupied.  Hunting and gathering does tend to...fill one's schedule, so to speak.  Still leaves many materials in my possession, with little to spend them on."  With his thoughts so consumed by the ideas brought forth, Brax failed to even look for anything material-related while he pondered profusely.

Edited by Brax

ID#47074 LD:4

For a brief moment I almost thought that I had seen something that was similar to a smile flash acros Brax's face but maybe I was just seeing things. I told myself that it was probably just an itch he was working out and set it out of my mind.  Hearing what he had thought about the fishing I smiled the fact that he  thought that it would be interesting may mean that he has a chance of finding something he may truly enjoy.  As he said that most of his time was preoccupied I thought to myself that I might as well ask what came to my mind.  "That would be pretty good. And there aren't many fishermen out there, but if you are too burdened down by your materials I would be honored if you would be so kind as to let me help you carry that burden" I did a mock curtesy as if talking to royalty.  It was a very joking statement but there was some true interest there. If he has more mats than he knows what to do with I would be happy to take some since I am always in need of them. Getting up from my curtesy and returning to my original composure I said " But seriously I'm always in need mor materials so I would definitely be interested in some of your materials."

Edited by Coddexx

ID 47081

Spoiler

BD 7 +2 ACC LD 2 MoBD 3

Brax 60/60 EN 4/15

Subterranean Snake 1 -2/32 DEAD [7 x 6 Trample Act - 8 MIT] = 34 DMG

Subterranean Snake 2 -2/32 DEAD [7 x 6 Trample Act - 8 MIT] = 34 DMG

Subterranean Snake 3 -2/32 DEAD [7 x 6 Trample Act - 8 MIT] = 34 DMG

Subterranean Snake 4 -2/32 DEAD [7 x 6 Trample Act - 8 MIT] = 34 DMG

As Brax was quite incapable of understanding most sarcasm the first time around, he did not catch the joke that Coddexx was making as he changed the tone in his voice and curtsied, grabbing an imaginary skirt that billowed about the edges of his dark leather armor.  'How odd, for such a confident and open man to...engage in such an action.  Perhaps he is..."  It was only after he said "But seriously" that the situation became clear to him: the man had been joking.  'Ah.  Now it makes sense.  Hah."  Brax's eyebrows raised up his forehead and his head gave a short bob as he shook it in time with the humorless laugh that echoed in his thoughts.

From underneath the both of them, a rumble seemed to shake the ground, not extremely so but enough for them to notice.  Brax knew what was coming, but did not know if the young one had ever met such a foe as what was about to appear.  "Take cover!" he yelled out, as he drew forth his Veteran's Axe and scanned for where the creatures would come from.  About 5 seconds later, the shaking died down, a calm before the storm.  But Brax was ever watchful, as he knew the worst was yet to come.  Then, just as suddenly as the sound stopped, it burst forth from cracks in the earth, heralding the emergence of 4 Subterranean Snakes, eyeless serpents with sloshing venom pouring from fang-filled jaws.  They cried and shrieked, the calls echoing in the deep, and charged at Brax since he still stood in the midst of the battleground.  He was able to push two of the snakes off with his weapon, avoiding the third and was locked in with the fourth, his weapon forced into the maw of the creature to avoid being poisoned or eaten.  As the others came back around for another assault, Brax lowered his shoulder and charged the one he grappled with, pulling his axe free so as to engage a Sword Art.  When his pauldrons connected, his frame began automatically shifting into his Trample Act, his axe swinging wide to catch all the incoming serpents in it's deadly arcs.

Satisfied the battle was over, Brax sheathed his weapon again and turned to Coddexx as if little had happened.  He said, "Hmm, I suppose they ARE useless if nothing is being done with them.  If you want them, I would have no problem parting with some.  Provided the exchange is...mutually beneficial."  Always the pragmatist, while Brax did not truly have an issue with releasing some of his hard earned supplies, he also understood that suitable compensation must be rendered in order to maintain integrity, even if he was hard-pressed to actually understand the concept.

+4 materials

Edited by Brax

ID#47090 BD:8 MD:4 (7-3) LD:13

Having seen the earth shudder around us I saw the grotesque looking snakes Brax made quick work of the four that he had seen but I was caught off guard by another group of snakes that were on the other side of us behind me. I drew my blade quickly forming a blur and readies myself for an attack. As Brax killed the other four the for that I had my sights on caught my eye. I drew in a deep breath and readied my mind. The snakes spat at me and I rolled backward dodging the big puddle of venom that spewed from their mouths. The snakes were nothing like I had seen before their faces were eyeless and horrid and their skin was a deep dark green mixed with the putrid color of venom I found myself behind them and had the perfect opportunity to attack. I held my blade behind me and readied the sword art 'Death Creep' Silverlight was enveloped in a deep purple glow and I jumped up in the air and right when the snakes were turning round I came down bringing my blade slamming it against the earth. there was a wide purple arc that spread out and it destroyed the snaked instantly leaving them to explode into pixels giving nothing more than a muffled hiss. 

I walked over to where they had once stood and laughed to myself as I picked up four fangs from the ground and a few bags of col. I turned back to Brax as he had finished killing the other snakes as well and I took in his comment with a smile on my face. I then said " Mutually Beneficial you say?" I laughed because of the way he had worded it. I knew that there needed to be some sort of an exchange but I was trying to think of what would benefit him. "Considering that I have a lot of need for materials I would want to buy a lot of them. I don't know how many you have but I would want a lot of them. I could give you 10,000 col for 100 Mats. A clean 100 a piece? and then I could also benefit you by becoming your personal alchemist. Whenever you need any potions or crystals come to my shop and I can get you what you need for a very large discount. My prices are pretty reasonable but we could say that I give you a permanent 50% discount at my shop."  

Coddexx 56/56 [Energy 2/14]
-36 dmg each
Subterranean Snake 0/36
Subterranean Snake 0/36
Subterranean Snake 0/36
Subterranean Snake 0/36

+4mats +720col

Edited by Coddexx

ID 47092

LD 12

"Hmm..." said Brax as the wheels turned slightly in his head.  'A personal alchemist, he said?  How interesting...a rather decent offer, considering.'  Brax continued to consider the issue, running his gaze over the ground for anything he might have missed the first time around, and finding nothing answered the boy: "I suppose...the terms are...satisfactory.  Very well."  Having made his decision, Brax waited for a moment and turned to Coddexx, saying "So, do you wish to trade now, or should I come to your shop first?  I am...unsure as to the specifics of...these kinds of transactions."  Come the future, if the young one survived that long, Brax would be in need of alchemical goods galore, especially if and when he had settled on a profession himself.  As such, his materials would be an investment in the future, one that now solidified even more before his eyes.  He awaited the young man's response, his gauntleted hand ready to open his window, if need be.

Edited by Brax