[PP-F4] The Paragon and the Pugilist (Grave)

The fourth floor had its fair share of inhospitable spots. Secret coves, frost monster spawning grounds, and barren stretches of icy wasteland were all par for the course. But the town of Starglade was a rather hospitable port in a frigid storm. The settlement was something out of a Dickens novel; all cobblestone, street lamps, and gently falling snow to add to the atmosphere. It wasn't a sleepy kind of village, but there was a pervading sense of security and stability here that the rest of Aincrad often lacked. The snow-dusted hamlet was where Teselmar chose to open his shop. Utilizing his ever-growing skill as an Artisan, he had managed to fill the space he was running his business out of with numerous hand crafted pieces, the art lining the walls in frames and display cases.

The White Stag Cafe and Gallery had been a decent success thus far; he'd sold a few high quality pieces and earned enough Col to help cover the cost that adventuring so often incurred. The place was also a coffee house, and Teselmar had gotten his hands on an old-fashioned looking machine item for his store that produced coffee. Not endowed with any enhancements (he was no Cook), the coffee was often a selling point that drew customers in, and he could work on any items they wanted to buy while they relaxed with a cup of designer coffee. Teselmar had stocked up on items like creams, sugars, and other flavor add-ons, and was rather enjoying his down-time job.

He was, at the moment, between tasks, having just taken an item he'd crafted over to a local NPC shop for an evaluation. Today, he could simply relax, and focus on whoever walked through the door. Teselmar swished goldenrod hair out of his eyes, and wiped the counter free of fingerprints. Some kids had been in earlier, and apparently the System was good enough to know that sticky fingers leave smudges on hardwood. A menthol cigarette was between his lips, and he hummed an old song around the lit stick as smoke seeped into the air around him. "Ain't that a kick in the heeeead..." He put the cigarette between two fingers, turning to the other side of the counter as he whistled the trumpet bit in that song. Today was going to be a great day, he could feel it.

Floor Four was a MASSIVE change to Floor Nine.  I used to believe Four was cold hell, but now?  It was a winter wonderland.  I simply just had to huddle up with my coat and I was all good, but that was boring, I had to get out and actually do something. That was when I decided to browse the various stores, shops and joints, both NPC- and Player-run.  There were quite a few to choose from, since Snowfrost was such a popular place... but none tickled my fancy.  Instead, I tried my hand at the common romantic getaway, Starglade. From what I heard there were a few stores situated there, but to my delight, not too many to choose from.

One was called "The White Stag Cafe and Gallery" and it did not sound bad at all. In fact, it did not smell bad, either; the strong scent of coffee wafted out in thick clouds, and I just HAD  to take a look.  My eyes laid upon many amazingly well-crafted art pieces, and I was left to wonder who the owner of the store was... and as my ears picked up a faint whistling, I brought my eyes down to the smoking blond man known as Teselmar, soon to be a Recruit in the Knights of the Blood Oath. With a wide grin, I stalked up to the counter. "Oh, hey, Teselmar!" I greeted him, leaning on the counter casually. "Fancy seeing you here... and man, I love the artwork. I am just a simple Cook, so this kind of work I can really appreciate." I praised him, sending a wide glance around the room to take in all the art. "I suspect you receive many a customer?" I guessed, turning back to Teselmar, narrowly dodging the cigarette smoke that drifted from his lips.

Teselmar had set down the cloth he'd been using to wipe down the counter. The cigarette had returned to his lips as he began to make another cup of coffee for one of the already seated customers. Mint smoke from a custom alchemical cigarette wasn't as harsh on the senses as the generic in-game ones, and the scent mixed with the aroma of ground coffee beans to make a pleasant, heady atmosphere. He was almost done with the current cup when a young man entered, the bell on the door alerting the smoking man of a new customer. 

The man with the handwraps and black coat had entered, looking the place over as his teeth flashed a wide grin. Teselmar thought he looked familiar, and took a moment to place his face. Ah, he was at the KoB meeting. As the man greeted him, Teselmar turned with a smile, nodding at him. "Hey there. Grave, right? Good to see you again." Teselmar took the man's praise of his art pieces in stride, rubbing the back of his head in embarrassment. "Oh, thanks. I was never any real good at art out in the real world, but the System helps me get what I see in my head onto the paper." There were also a few display cases on the walls with bangles and charms made out of wood, metal, and glass like materials, and Teselmar enjoyed the feeling of being able to make quality gear for other players. He saw Grave dodge the plume of smoke that occurred when he spoke; reaching into the air, he opened his menu, and unequipped the cigarette. It disappeared, winking out of existence and returning to his pack. "Sorry, old habits die hard. Even in Aincrad. Give me a sec, I'll be right back."

The cafe was moderately busy today, with about a fourth of the booths and tables filled with customers relaxing. Lots of couples came by to spend a relaxing bit of time, but also the sorts of people who liked going to coffee shops out in the real world: Hipsters, musicians, and writers all frequented his establishment, as well as some rather serious fighters who wanted an edge with his accessories. Teselmar placed the cup of joe he'd been working on in front of his previous customer, and returned to the counter. "I have my fair share of customers. This place is kinda new, but I get a good number of people who have chosen to make Starglade their home base." He placed a hand on the coffee maker, and turned back to Grave. "What can I get for you? It's on the house for guild members."

I was glad he remembered my name. "Yes, that is my name." I assured Teselmar. "The feeling is mutual, friend." I responded, rather glad myself that I was able to meet him again. He seemed to enjoy my praise of his artwork, and spoke of his real world lack of skills, much like myself. "I know that feeling all too well, I was never too good at cooking - well, until a couple months prior to entering this hellhole - but the game really lets my creative juices fly." I agreed, sitting back on my heels and crossing my arms. I chuckled when Teselmar noticed my need to remove myself from the smoke and deequipped his cigarette. "Hey no problem... actually, I think Opal said something similar to me one, 'Old habits die hard'... cannot remember when though." I reminisced, trying to place when I had heard her say that. I nodded as Teselmar had to rush off to deal with some business.

My eyes scanned the various individuals and couples that populated the store. I smirked at myself as I considered bringing Jevi along to Starglade, but maybe waiting until we were possibly together would be better. Teselmar returned and spoke of the decent customer population. "Yes, I can see that. I, on the other hand, do not receive near this many, even though I am a badass cook." I chuckled, musing over my laughable customer population; recently it had only been people I knew personally, but hopefully I would soon be getting more and more. He asked me what I wanted, and looked at the variety of coffees available, labeled on the machine. "Just a latté please, Teselmar." I requested, shrugging my shoulders lightly

Teselmar nodded at Grave, accessing the mini-menu on the front of the coffee maker. The latte materialized in a shimmering haze, cream and coffee blending together perfectly. He set the concoction down on the counter. "Drink up and enjoy, buddy." The other customers looked well attended to, so Teselmar figured it couldn't hurt to take a bit of time and chat with his guildmate. "So, you're a cook, eh? What floor is your place on? I'll have to swing by some time."

He let the black clad man answer before leaning against the counter and smiling innocently. "You mentioned the Vice Commander earlier. Looked like you two knew each other from how you interacted at the meet and greet." Teselmar cleaned a small splash of cream from the side of the machine with a washcloth. "So, how'd you two meet?"