[SP-F1] Magic huh... [COMPLETE]

Blundering and tripping among the fields of the first floor, with the sun shining above him, a certain red headed boy would be caught muttering...

"When you think about it, magic is kinda dumb..." 

Above him would flash the name plate "Merlin", after the magician of the round table in King Arthur's legend, however this individual seemed neither a magician or heck, even a intellectual person. "Merlin" was clothed in the beginner outfit with a knife hanging loosely at his side by thin string. He seemed to be looking for something among the grasses of the beginner's field, and kept on shifting his gaze from left to right to either spot his target, or make sure he wasn't the Boar's target, which plenty roamed nearby him. He was able to clumsily weave through the aggro of the mob's, whether due to sheer luck or a decent perception. And as he trudged on, he always kept his vision peeled on the ground, still looking for... well... something...

This is Merlin's first adventure, and he know's this isn't gonna go well...

Edited by Merlin
Reasons

"Ok, I get this is a death game and all, and it's suppose to be hard, but make it easier for this less physical dammit!"

Tripping over himself, Aden, AKA Merlin, started to reflect on what brought him out here today...

(A few hours ago)

"I've been here for how many years and I haven't made any progress what so ever on how to use magic..." The red head sighed as he strolled in the streets of the Beginner's City.

He flicked his finger, making his menu pop up. Looking up and down at his inventory, Aden started to mutter..

"Everything is in order, and nothing is gone. I know how many times I misplaced something and forgot about it, to only need it the next minute. I really don't want to forget my knife at home in a place like this..."

Seemingly on reflex he started to fidget with the handle of his dagger, as if reassuring himself that he didn't leave it in the many alleys in this city by mistake. Then, after a minute or so, he nodded his head and with eyes filled with resolution, he exited out of the menu.

Aden took a few steps towards the gate just up ahead, and he thought whimsically...

"What's the worst that can happen?"

(Present)

The red head looked down and observed himself after falling down magnificently. "I'm..." He shakily took a breath "I'm not in the best of shape, am I..."

He was sweating like a pig, his stick like arms were completely numb, his heart was thumping like a war drum, it was seriously scary...

"I guess..." Breath in, breath out... "I guess it can't be helped... All I've been doing was reading lore book's and experiment with different materials in the search of magic... I thought I'll be able to find a single spell for that whole time I was in the Starting City, but no~, nothing."

Aden started to sit himself upright, then took another breath, this one more steady. "Guess I'll chant something to help me out..."

After a few moments of contemplation, he started chanting in a low voice.

"Give me light, give me energy, I beg of you spirits of the sun, bring me the power to travel without burden..."

He stood still for a moment, it actually looked like it worked, then he groaned and flopped back onto the ground.

"Nope, nothing, screw you sun spirits..."

A hour of failing to navigate the 'harsh' terrain of a DAMN GRASS FIELD...

As Aden realized how much of a failure of an athletic he truly was, he continued to look for random plants that looked 'semi' magical.

The reason was simple,

If you didn't know, the art of magic is not just saying a few fancy words and lobbing out a fireball, it is the communing of nature itself and using it to your will, (at least, that's what it said on the internet). And to tap into certain spells, you need certain items. For example, if your doing anything stupid with magic (a-la summoning a very scary demon,) you have to throw down some sandalwood candles and such.

And so, that's why Aden is staring at the ground intently for a plant or something... And what do you know, a plant did pop up, well, eventually.

Hastily, he made his way to the plant, crouched, and pulled out his knife.

He didn't have the steadiest hand, and it showed when he tried to precisely cut off the wanted part of the plant (which resembled a flower needed for a energy spell).

"Damn it..." He muttered as his hand slowly made it's way to the wanted area, "be more steady..."

And, when he couldn't take it anymore, he closed his eyes and swiftly slashed his knife with hope.

"Oh crap" he thought, "the flower's probably ruined..." Berating himself for acting impatiently, he opened his eyes expecting a messed up flower. Instead...

[Congratulations! You gained (1) material!]

"YES!!!"

ID:  48363

LD : 17 (+1) = 18

And so, the epic gathering of random plants that might be able to be used for spells COMMENCED!!!

Just kidding, Aden was now currently resting on his back and contemplating the now setting sun in the sky...

"Huh...I really didn't think that would work..." He spoke softly, resting his aching, out of shape, body.

Aden brought up his menu, and summoned the flower he procured. He gently handled it and felt it's smooth texture. Chuckling suddenly, he gave a grin.

"Who the heck would think I would be collecting flowers for spells with 'this' body." Aden spoke with a amused, but tired tone. "Then again, who would think that my quest for magic would land me in a death game?"

He yawned, and closed his eyes, just listening to the wind billowing in the distance, the grass waving in the wind, the grunts of...

"Wait, grunts?"

Very slowly, Aden opened his eyes and observed his surroundings. It was odd that no mobs showed up during the gathering, and due to him being in the same spot where he nabbed it...

Three rather close Boars were about 10 feet from his position, and their Aggro range was literally right next to him. He started getting up with the largest amount of stealth he could muster up (not much). Aden focused his eyes on them, to spot any signs of aggression. His heart seemed like it was about to burst, and maybe it was due to how close death really was to him. Then, as soon as they looked away, he scrambled up and dashed towards the opposite direction, trying to gain as much distance as possible with his skinny legs. 

He ran like the devil was after him, and when he heard the Boar's grunt's get louder, it was.

For the second time today Aden practically collapsed into a heap of sweat when he didn't hear the grunts of the Boar's anymore. Feeling a sense of Deja vu, he heaved in and out as he desperately tried to put as much virtual oxygen he could into his body.

"I need to get out more..." He complained tiredly to no one in particular, trying to sit himself up and look at his surroundings.

Around him were good ol tree's, giving off a forest vibe. Multiple plants surrounded him, but at this point, Aden didn't really care. His body used muscles that were never used in years. He was thirsty, hungry, tired at the same time, and his eyes were closing on there own.

"You know what..." he said with the little amount of energy he had left, "screw it."

Then he promptly passed out in the middle of the forest...

It was night, by the way, with a crescent moon shining above him. (In some cultures, a magical symbol.)

Edited by Merlin

The bird's were singing, the things were thinging, and a boy named "Little flame" (Aden), was coming to his senses.

"Where... Where am I?" He thought as he picked himself up from the ground, and promptly fell down due to the pain of his aching muscles.

Now kids, when you exercise, especially when you haven't exercised in practically a millennium, stretch, or else you end up like this guy.

"Ow..." Aden moaned with a pitiful tone, as his body refused to follow his commands.

He looked around after coming to accept his faith as a log, and realized that he was still in the forest, alive.

"Ho-" He grimaced after he tried to move his hand to his chin, "How am I alive?"

Faintly remembering what occurred last night, he seriously doubted that he was still among the living. After debating with himself for a few moments on whether or not he was a nature spirit now, he just sighed and closed his eyes. Then, out of nowhere, Aden started to laugh, then slightly giggle... With a drunken tone he spoke,

"It seems like that protection spell really did work! I was smart to cast it before going on my trip! Hahaha- Ow..."

As he laughed, his aching chest reprimanded him, and he went on silently cheering in his mind of the success of the spell.

Edited by Merlin
  • 1 year later...

(... Its only been a year, can't be that hard!)

It's been a year now since I've started to roam and research the forest. Over this time, I have seen many things, the seasons of change, the world unraveling, players young and old coming and going... I've started to feel a kinship with this forest, and it is now my home. If I ever needed supplies I would trade in materials I gathered to the town for various foods, I love the rye bread... Which is good, since that's all they have...

Anyways, my physical ability has gotten better, I can jog for a bit now, but fight I cannot, and I still rely upon the guidance of the stars that is conjured through the many runes I have crafted over the year while finding perfect places to be. Now, with my spells in hand...

I shall conquer the world!

Probably need some materials before that though.

Leaves, grasses, and flowers all softly swaying in the wind to a beat that no one can hear and a crimson sun set to give the landscape one last goodbye is the scenery which covers the landscape. Among the critters and the tree's was a ginger with amber eyes to match. From where we last saw him he's technically in better shape, but not by much.

His eyes wanders the forest with intent, looking for something that may fit the description on whatever he may be seeking.

Then, a grin floats up to his face, eyes flickering like flame in excitement as he walks over to his target.

There, on a small patch of grass, are clovers, and with quick hands he plucks one out of the ground.

"Hmm, it'll work..."

Satisfied, turns away, and chant's a few words, with the clovers still dancing to the same, unheard beat.

He trails on ahead, with a skip in his step.

"After years within the forest, I'm going on ahead to see what this world holds for me." He says to no one in particular, probably a side effect of being so distant from civilization for so long...

A sigh escapes his lips, and taps his leg thoughtfully."

"It's been awhile since I've gathered materials... Uh, should probably do that, spells don't run off air... Most of the time... And besides, I think having the only material I don't trade in for food is the material I first got isn't such a good idea... Probably. Now that I think about it, I think all that time in the forest kinda calmed me down... Even if it's side effect did sorta make me talk to myself... Out loud..."

Aden groans a little, then spot's something out of the corner of his eye.

"Oh look, distraction, I guess that luck spell is kicking in today as well..."

A delicate blue flower sticks out among all the grasses and shrubbery, and was essentially broadcasting it's existence to players as a material to gather, and to take home and use for the good of the world... The problem is...

"Lets see here, a cut and... oh no."

Gathering is still, even after all this time, not Aden's Forte.

ID:   78710

LD : 11 (+1) = 12 [FAILED]

"... Well that sucks."

He groans a little as he picks himself back up, sweat starting to form up on his head.

"I'm still not used to all this traveling around, even after all this time. Seriously, this forest makes me wish I can get that warp rune to work correct... I even spent a week gathering the materials for it..."

As Aden tears up a little remembering all that wasted effort, those same old grunts started to voice there thoughts on how much they "cared" on how much he wasted on that circle... Or want to nibble on him, either one.

Not even pausing for a second, he dashes away with surprising speed for his build, as the grunts get closer, and closer....

Then farther, then farther.

Panting like a dog, he slumps against a nearby tree with his tears being indistinguishable from his sweat.

"One thing"

He takes a gasp of air as he continues to ramble on.

"I'm not going to miss are those-"

Another cough reminds him of his rather poor physique as he continues to rant.

"dang boars! Wish my, ugh, hex would work on em..."

Edited by Merlin

Soon, our... Hero? Magician? Idiot? Perhaps a combination of all three? Whatever, the guy recovers slowly yet surely, till it's the beginning of night, and the moon shines upon the world. Aden looks up to the moon and smiles a little.

"Thank you for saving me in the beginning, I wouldn't have made it without your care and protection that faithful night. So, let me thank you."

He pulls out the clover, a small, shining orb like plant, and a piece of string. Tying up the clover to the orb like plant he starts to mutter...

May your power be forever interwoven into mine, and for luck to be with both of us..."

Closing his eyes, he holds the small item within his palms, and goes to sleep with the moon watching over him...

And when he woke up, the tied up clover and orb we're gone, much to the delight of Aden, and with re energized motions he continues to make preparations to leave the forest, by first, of course, recasting everything he needs to make it through the day by many rituals and drawings and things that can be misjudged by a onlooker...

Some things never change.

"Now then!" 

He claps his hands and grins

"I've gotten everything I need for spell crafting for my journey for a month so we're good on that department... Just uh... Everything else..."

He sighs as he pulls out his inventory screen, the first game like thing he's done so far.

Of course, when he reads it...

[Inventory]

• 1 T1 Crafting Material

"... I don't think I have enough materials to even feed me for a week... Well, time to spend my final day here gathering materials..."

And so, he heads off with a goal and many spells upon his soul, whether there doing anything, er... That's for you to decide.

It's a beautiful day outside, the birds are singing, the flowers are blooming...

On day's like this, people like Aden...

Should be...

Burning...

Materials...

Anyways.

He continues hum along and relish his final day in the forest. He stops to see the birds flying overhead, stops to smell the roses, and generally take a very casual walk, knowing that he won't have another in a long time...

A small part of Aden want's to continue staying in the forest, living off the materials, selling it to the same guy for the same food, sleeping outside and barely escaping when a boar finds him. He wishes for that... But all the materials he could use for magic, is sadly elsewhere.

The only reason why he even decided go out of the forest was because he heard rumors of crystals, manifestation's of spells he so desired. He even saw one in action, or at least he assumes so. Maybe, he might be able to spell craft, in a very odd way, but still, to spell craft within this game, and he couldn't resist...

So, he now gathers materials on his second homeland, and leisurely identifies items...

That would probably explain why this happened...

"Alright, same flower, same objective. So we... Cut here, ok, good. Now another cut he-... Dang it..."

ID :78713

LD : 7 (+1) = 8 [FAILED]

Aden is still enjoying his small hike, even if his legs are starting to hurt, and while smiling he starts singing a little tune

"Through bolts of fire and lightning,

we'll see to another tale.

As blades dance in the air,

I cast another flare.

Fighting and casting I will survive,

And make sure the others burn bright..."

His singing was then reduced to a hum as he found a suitable material... The same flower that has been so delicate all this time... 

A bit too fragile, though for most, including Aden.

"La da da, dum dum, la da da da DUM-"

As another failed flower litters the ground, Aden cries a small tear...

"Though I wish..."

A small tear falls down from his face...

... I had a spell, to make sure so that this flower would go to he-"

Then he coughed for a little bit

ID : 78723

LD : 9 (+1) = 10 [FAILED]

Edited by Merlin
Cause I couldn't resist

It's kinda sad thinking about the physical limit of Aden at times, which is currently a half a day of walking and two escapes. Well, it's that time of day again and now he slumps against a tree, exhausted.

"Sometimes i'm kinda annoyed at my poor athletic ability, and honestly it's kinda frustrating to see other players move around like the wind, and duel against these boars... I'm starting to see why people would pay so much for this actual game and not magic..."

Seemingly a little down, he slides to the bottom of the forest floor and pulls out some odds and ends and starts working on a trinket of some sort.

"I mean, this is a movement game at heart and I realize that, maybe I should have read the title before buying into the fantasy aspect of the game and throwing my hopes and dreams into it..."

Aden sighs, finishes up whatever he's making, and then proceeds to continue walking to the nearest low hanging branch, and sets the small trinket on it...

"Please continue to give me the energy I require, spirits of the forest... The sun still doesn't like me much..."

And he then continues to move forward.

With a huff, and a puff, he runs into the flower once more...

"We meet again, Flower of the Impure...

You will not escape my knife again!"

Brandishing his knife, he begins his assault upon the flower, slicing with precision and intent...

The battle of wits began, as the flower attempted to dance along the wind to dodge Aden's blade but to no avail, his cuts landing true.

It seems like the battle has been lost for the flower, and Aden knows it...

Until of course.

A grunt was heard...

"Nope."

And he's off.

ID : 78784

LD : 5 (+1) =6

"Before I go from this forest I want at least two materials to call my own!"

He starts to mumble crazily to himself, his past ways slowly crawling back from whatever pit they were hiding from. And then, this raving madman spotted his nemesis.

Angered at it's mere presence, he shouts out.

"I shall cast a hex upon you, a hex!"

Drawing upon the spirit of the forest, he starts to chant.

"Is Heil ons ros los fos, Is Heil ons ros los fos, IS HEIL ONS ROS LOS FOS, IS HEIL ONS ROS LOS FOS!!!"

He dashes forward with his blade held low, and with a slice... The flower perishes...

"... Probably shouldn't have done that..."

ID : 78785

LD : 3 (+1) = 4 [FAILED]

(Why are my rolls slowly getting worse?)

Edited by Merlin
Forgot to add [Failed]... Nah, it TOTALLY SUCCEEDED

"Fine! I give up!"

Throw his hands in the air, he starts to trudge his way towards the town.

"I mean I just wanted some materials to like, survive to see the spells... Meh..."

His shoulders slumps and his gaze starts to wander, upon another flower...

At first he wants to stab it again... Then he sighs, and walks up to the flower...

"Fine, one last time..."

When he starts making the cuts, he slowly relaxes and smiles softly.

"Even if it fails... At least when it shatters, it's pretty..."

As soon as he says that, the flower does what he says it would do, and he grins.

"See? Pretty. Besides, gathering these flowers gives me an excuse to come back..."

In a much better mood, he continues to walk towards the town, at a much slower pace, slowly enjoying every single moment he has left in the forest...

ID : 78787

LD : 8 (+1) = 9 [FAILED]

Edited by Merlin
Forgot to add id...

The sun is setting once more upon the horizon, and as the forest slowly drifts into slumber, Aden continues to walk forward with light wrapping him up in a blanket of warmth...

He takes every step with care and with hesitation...

He enjoys every moment like it's his last...

He silently hopes in his heart that he doesn't have to leave...

And for the first time in his life... He felt hesitation to continue forward...

Why not stay here, where he could live his life in hope and harmony with the forest?

The boars may annoy him but he was never injured by them, and for the flowers, he'll be able to gather them eventually...

So why?

His steps start to falter when he see's the town up ahead, on where he'll use the path to finally depart...