Let's Play: Heroes Rise!

• Hi there, and welcome to Let's Play: Heroes Rise. Heroes Rise is a text adventure game developed in 2012 by Zachary Sergi primarily for the iOS and Android platforms. It is a story based on superheroes. It is available online for a fee of $2.99.

I will be reading or typing the saga, depending on popular demand. I may attempt to do both, but doing both is an arduous task, so this, again, depends on popular demand.

I will also allow the community (Skype, Twitter, and members of SAO-RPG) to determine some choices, mainly moral ones. I will most likely choose for myself if I run into a cosmetic or less important choice, e.g. what color the protagonist likes.

The current choice is "Female or Male protagonist?", with 3 vote(s) for Female and 0 vote(s) for male.

Without further ado, let's begin.

Table of Contents

PART 1 - LEGEND HAS IT
... Chapter 1: Homeward Bound

Statistics

Codename: Unknown
Fame | Justice: 50
Lawless | Lawful: 50
Offensive | Defensive: 50
Soloist | Team Player: 50
Power: 100
Health: 100
Money: $2,000

Relationships

(Nothing at the moment.)

Chapter 1: Homeward Bound -

Audio

A helicopter blade slices through the air inches away from your face, filling your nostrils with the smell of burning metal. You don't have time to process this, however, as a ball of flame unfurls in your direction. You leap onto a neighboring rooftop and tumble around a smoldering chunk of engine. Today was supposed to be your day off, but when you saw a news chopper careening out of control above the city, you couldn't just stand by like a common pedestrian.

As you pull clear of the wreckage, you see that the ejected pilot floats high above the rooftops from a parachute --- one that is crawling with licks of flame. It won't be long before the parachute burns through and the pilot drops hundreds of stories to his death...

So, how are you going to save him?

Choice time.

- Rip up the cables that run along the roof and use them to lasso the pilot down.
---> Use the zip-cord from your wrist holster to reel in the pilot.
- Forget the pilot --- he'll be able to steer himself onto one of the rooftops. It's much more important to stop the burning wreckage from falling to the busy streets below.

You jump onto the ledge and use your finger to trigger the zip-cord. It shoots from the top of your wrist, with a magnetized tip set to latch on to the pilot's metal seat. Your shot lands perfectly. Then, with great care, you begin to retract the zip-cord, pulling the pilot safely onto the roof beside you.

• 2 months later...

• The second update! It's been a long, long time, but I intend on continuing through with this Let's Play!

Without further ado, let's begin.

As your vision fades to black, you remove the virtual reality helmet and end your 3D gaming experience. You blink several times to adjust to the sunlight in the room, which pours in through sleek glass windows. Then you look across the conference table at a buttoned-up executive eyeing you.

"So, what do you think? They really ramped up the graphics, right?" she blurts out. "Oh, don't spoil the surprise --- take the game home for your full report. You can collect your advance from the front desk on your way out. Thanks, as always, um..."

You are Virtuous Reality's best game tester, but this executive still doesn't know your name. You force a smile and remind her that you are:

Choice time.

- A guy named...
    ---> A girl named...

There's a lot of names, for instance "Aurelia", "Chelsea", and "Erin", but for simplicity I'll choose myself.

"Sabrina."

"Right, Sabrina. Always a pleasure."

The executive then strides out the door --- no doubt on her way to a more important meeting. So you walk toward the front desk alone, thinking that you'd much rather be out there saving real helicopter crashes than testing fake ones. But hey, at least it pays the bills.

Though not very well, you think as you accept a deposit for $100 at the front desk.

Adding this amount to your bank account brings you to a grand total of $2100. Not exactly rolling in dough, are you?

You push all thoughts of money from your mind as you exit into the bustling streets of Millennia City. Nestled on America's west coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco, Millennia City is the shining beacon of twenty-second-century progress --- not to mention the city you've called home for your entire life.

You step into the crowd next to a woman whose skin is covered in fishy scales, each one reflecting a different color. You suppose this might surprise some people, but not you. NYC has finance, LA has entertainment, and DC has politics, but MC has heroes --- it's the Powered capitol of the country, a fact you're reminded of as a sonic boom pulses through the air. You look up to see twin blondes rocketing across the sky, a cloud of smoke left in their wake. You sigh, knowing that you belong up there with the legends instead of down here with the masses.

These days, one out of every three people is born with Powered abilities and pretty much every one of them wants to be a hero. Especially now that Powered Heroes have eclipsed movie stars and music icons to set the standard for an A-list celebrity.

You'd also love to be flying home right now, considering you have the power to fly. However, after one too many gruesome midair collisions, the Department for the Regulation of Powered Resources (DRPR) designated the skies for government-licensed travelers only.

So flying is definitely off-limits for you... but do you let that stop you?

Choice time.

- Absolutely --- heroes are meant to enforce the law, not break it.
- Of course not --- I was born to fly, no mater what the law says.

Please decide on a choice.