[PP-F1] Making Connections (Hataki and Shira)

Rain. A form of weather that seemed to be more irritating to the blond than anything. Half-lidded eyes stared into the foggy water painted panes as the heavy drizzle pounded the cobble roads outside. His gaze went beyond the drops that raced down the glass. Focusing on the fields that seemed to beckon to him even in this weather. While not a stranger to the world of being drenched, the feeling was uncomfortable enough to keep him in doors. With a glance to the reflection in the window, he rationalized that it kept those within the tavern inside as well. Shifting his gaze to those around him, Niklaus swiveled around in his booth to the crowded player space. Despite this crowded-ness, he found himself alone. Not that he didn't mind the time to think, however; the loner shtick could only last so long.

Edited by Niklaus

The system had given several clues to the upcoming rain but Hataki missed them all. He has been living in this inn since day one and had personally requested for thick, opaque blinds for his room. He felt most comfortable in the darkness. It was something that accompanied his avid gaming. Dark rooms, large screens, and surround sound was how he enjoyed videogames prior to the VR era. And thus, when he left the room to go check on his tailoring shop, he was taken by a rather annoying surprise. It was pouring down outside and he really was in no mood to get drenched. He frowned and walked down to the tavern. There seemed to be a lot more players in there than usual, thanks to the rain. The NPC innkeeper seemed quite pleased. Hataki crossed the crowd and walked to the nearest window. “Nope! No way I’m getting out there,” he muttered to himself with a sigh. He turned around and saw a young blond sitting alone despite the crowded state of the tavern. Well… No one is a stranger in this game. He walked up to him and spoke casually. “I wonder how the weather is in the real world.” He then extended his arm and introduced himself. “Hataki.”

Her eyes burned. But no matter how tired was, Shira never felt fully rested in this game. The sleep was just not the same. She had had an early start like always. Shira hadn't even been this diligent in real life, back when she was training for Kenjutsu, but thanks to her insomnia the moment the virtual sun was up, she was up and about. Her material hunting had been rather useless, she didn't find anything. Shira kept trying unwilling to accept her defeat against this stupid game. She heard the thunder and saw the lightening but she ignored all the signs. Besides, a little rain wouldn't deter her anyways. What finally hit her wasn't little...

It was buckets. Sheets of rain fell from the sky suddenly. Wow. A virtual storm. Surprisingly, as the water seeped through her clothes, she felt less cold than she would have in real life. Shira liked the rain and thanks to this being virtual... It didn't matter, she wasn't going to fall ill or anything. So she let lose, spinning and running around in the grasslands. She stared up at the sky, letting the rain splash and streak her face.

Finally, after what seemed like hours of spinning about, she decided to head back to the inn she was staying at, and probably retire to her room. She stormed into the inn and noticed Hataki sitting across another player. She called out to him and waved, issuing a bunch of water droplets from her soaked sleeves to go flying towards some other inn dwellers. She issued a quick apology and made her way to the table, leaving large blotches of wet footprints on the floor...

"Hmm?"

The blondes gaze shifted upwards as a voice broke the solace of silence he was beginning to enjoy. A player had approached him. One that seemed no stronger than himself. His outstretched hand indicating he wasn't looking for trouble but rather companionship to chit chat with until the storm blew over. Grasping the hand, Niklaus gave it a firm shake. His eyes scanning over the player that had taken residence in the seat opposite his own. Satisfied with the thought that this player meant no harm, Niklaus returned his gaze to the pane still trickling with droplets of water. "I would hope its sunny out, then again, I've lost so much time here, that even the current season of the real world would prove difficult for myself."

The pounding of the rain slowly increased outside. A rhythmic thumping that echoed a thousand times over with each pellet of rain that met the floor. The harmony of the falling rain outside seemed majestic, inspiring even. Retrieving a note pad from his inventory, Nik scrawled a few things down on to the tanned parchment before sending i back to where it came. Shifting in his seat, he realized he had still yet to give his own name. "My apologies, Hataki. The names is Nik... Niklaus Mikaelson."

The bell of the inn chimed. Normally the blonde had no reason to detract his sight to the latest inn dweller, but for some reason he glanced up. Surprisingly, by the time he had done so, the player in question had already seated herself among them. She seemed rather acquainted with the Hataki fellow, though he wasn't one to assume. However he wasn't above speculation. Lovers perhaps?, he mused internally.

'Afternoon love," he acknowledged with a small gaze in her direction.

Hataki took the seat opposite to Nik after the handshake. Although Hataki didn’t empathize with Nik about losing time in the game (since that’s all he would have done even if he wasn’t stuck in here), he could understand how much of a problem it was for others. “Yeah… Everyone is losing track of time. Some even losing themselves,” he added sadly, reminded of all the player killings he had heard of. Nik then introduced himself, breaking Hataki from his morbid thoughts. Almost immediately after, the tavern’s door opened and he saw Shira walk in. Completely drenched. Hataki shook his head in disbelief. This girl… He was about to say something along the line of how she could catch a cold, but stopped himself when he realized that’s not possible. He started to notice he really cares a lot about Shira and his brain goes devoid of logic in her presence. He wasn’t sure whether he should embrace that change or shun it. After all, she is in this mess because of him. Maybe the feeling wasn’t mutual.

As Shira sat down, he began his lecture. “You really should stop getting obsessed over those iron ores. I said you could borrow what I have and if that’s not enough, we will buy more. What made you think it was a good idea to go out there alone? What if you had gotten lost in the storm and ended up amidst a pack of wolves?” He may have sounded a little annoyed, but it was mostly concern.

Hataki was slightly flustered when Nik addressed Shira as ‘love.’ He knew he was over reacting. In fact, he didn’t understand why he is reacting at all. If he chose to flirt with Shira, it’s his choice and Shira would deal with it however she liked. However, that reasoning did not make him very comfortable. He realized he wouldn’t be very happy if Shira chose to flirt back. So, instead, he chose to believe that Nik was just being friendly. He had to keep repeating that several times in his head before he could calm down though.

Sitting down when drenched in water, was as unpleasant in game as it was in real life. It ruined most of the fun she'd just had. Why does everything fun have to come at such a high price? She thought to herself. What was more unpleasant was the way Hataki began lecturing her. She frowned, unable to see the concern and care behind his words, she took them for face value. Her frown morphed into a glare. "Then I would have fought them... and won." She said curtly with a nod. She turned her nose up in the air and worked on hiding the discomfort thanks to the rain, expressing anything about that would only add to Hataki's cause. He had just spoiled her mood further. This was a new side to Hataki, and the dark haired bespectacled girl was a little taken aback. Hataki was always so... sweet.

In fact he'd always been so patient and nice, despite having been victim to a few of Shira's outbursts, she thought she finally found someone who truly understood her. Hataki was always so level headed, there were so many things she admired about him... The way he closed his eyes, when he grinned, the sun shining on his when he took one of his breaks from material collection and took a little nap in the grasslands... his idea of fun. Its funny how a person starts appreciating what they had, only when they feel like they're losing it. She pushed the thoughts away, they were worthless now. In this one moment, she thought Hataki had been replaced by someone else, that all those moments would never be the same.

He had always encouraged her to have a little fun and now that she had, this is what he had to say? Especially when they had company? She decided not to grace any of Hataki's other questions with a response. Her ears and cheeks turned red, her face flush in anger that she was trying to conceal. Not wanting to gather any other unwarranted attention, she suppressed the urge to give this guy a piece of her mind. Shira went with the cold shoulder reaction, angling herself a little to the other guy who had greeted her. "Afternoon." she said, the cheeriness in her voice gone, but she managed to feign a smile. "I'm Shira, and you are?" In retrospect maybe this wasn't a good idea. She wondered how long it would take, in game for all this to dry up, because it wasn't like she had a change of clothes just lying around...

Edited by Shira

Curiosity tugged at his brow, as he raised one in response to Hataki's lecturing of the girl. Well he cares for her that's for sure. Whether or not she reciprocates the feeling is another matter entirely. As he observed, he noticed the slight red tint to Hataki. My my. He definitely likes her. Well I must say, why most people are rather mundane or boring, his interest in her intrigues me. Not that I blame him. Her looks alone could be reason enough I suppose. Then again, her attitude on the surface would have to go. But I digress. Relationships aren't my cup of tea.

The noirette introduced herself as Shira. A name that wasn't all to familiar too him, not that Hataki was either. Looking her over, she didn't seem very high-leveled herself, so her claim earlier seemed boastful at best. Resting his lids, he stared in the direction of the window once more.

"Pleasure to meet you both, I am Niklaus."

A fleeting thought crossed his mind and a rather unplanned outburst ensued.

"What level are you both?"

Edited by Niklaus

Shira’s response didn’t offend Hataki, but he was a bit sad that she didn’t understand his concern. She is skilled, maybe much more skilled than he ever can be in wielding a sword. Heck! She managed to save Hataki twice before. To add, she is smart and lucky. Hataki denied none of it. But he feared these recent successes would get to her head and she would eventually bite more than she can chew. And his doubts were confirmed when she calmly said she would have taken on a pack of wolves had she encountered them. Now, that guaranteed death. He wanted to retaliate but decided against it. The last thing he wanted to do was create a scene in such a crowded tavern with a girl in wet clothes. He would have this conversation with her again, when they are alone. And she gets a stack of healing and teleportation crystals, he made a mental note, as he already knew what the outcome of such a conversation would be. He doubted she would stop taking risks.

Nik posed a question while he was still mentally calculating how much COL it would cost to stock up on those crystals. He lost track of the calculation and decided to do it later. “Oh... We are just level 4. We have been playing very safely. I’m currently working on crafting some armour for both of us before we try something more challenging,” he responded. His gaze automatically turned towards Shira. Her clothes were still wet and Hataki had no change of clothes either. He wasn’t sure if she felt very cold because he had never experienced being drenched within the game. Nevertheless, he thought a hot drink would do her some good. “I’ll go get us something hot to drink.” He then rose from the chair and walked towards the counter.

Most people let a stranger's words get to them, but gave those they loved, or well... liked, a wide berth of understanding. With Shira it was the opposite, if a stranger said something, she either wouldn't care or give them the benefit of doubt, but if someone she cared for, ever hurt her, it was much worse. She held anyone she considered close to her, with very high regard, she idolized them in fact. In reality, Hataki should've been a stranger, she didn't let people get close to her as quickly as he had gotten. But with his strange tolerance, he had crept close to her, without her even realizing. Plus there was the added affect of spending so much time together, him being her mentor in a way, at least in game. Teaching her the ropes and never letting her feel like she owed him anything. And so, today when all that came crashing down, she was really mad.

She was reveling in her anger against Hataki. She opened her mouth to stop him from referring to him and her as 'we' and let her answer for herself, just in spite. But he had already answered the blonde guy's questions. He added how he was going to make an armor for them and before Shira could say anything he was off to get them something warm to drink. Although she wasn't shivering as she would have been had this been happening in real life, she was craving something warm... A small part of her anger melted away as once again despite her obviously silent tantrum Hataki still strove to be nice. But he'd have to do a lot more to make up for his own outburst, Shira was just unfair like that, at least when it came to her own emotions. She took her feelings very seriously despite everyone around her always telling her to lighten up.

Now that Hataki had left, she decided to clear the air out, taking away all the awkwardness that was currently saturating it. "Umm... I think I ruined the chair, the inn keeper is probably going to have a fit huh? I'm surprised the guy hasn't noticed yet..." she said awkwardly, to the blonde man sitting beside her. While moving a strand of her hair that was plastered to her face she added "Not the best day to be outdoors... But don't tell him I said that" using her eyes to nod towards Hataki.  "So... What level are you Nik? Its ok if I call you Nik right?" she asked.

Edited by Shira

Level 4? Much lower than I had initially assumed. They seem competent at least. Neither of them have managed to get themselves killed and despite what they show on the surface, neither of them would let the other down if it came down to it. Much like my own family and I. Though with recent happenings, I can only cover my own ass as I search for Rebekah. The thoughts seemed to subsided in the brief time they had occupied his mind. Nodding to Hataki, Nik responded. "Always better to be safe than sorry lad."

As Hataki made mention of going to grab drinks, the blonde wasn't sure if that included him or just Hataki and Shira. Either way he'd be making an order soon enough. Suddenly the booth moved a bit as Shira addressed him. She spoke of the inn keeper and her worries about ruining his seats, and how though she didn't want to admit it, Hataki had been in the right to scold her. But in the midst of her confession, she asked Niklaus to refrain from mentioning it. The blonde simply chuckled in response.

"Your secret is safe with me love," he mused. Tousling the strands of his hair that had strayed back to the front, he pushed them back revealing more of his face and allowing the full sight of his crimson colored eyes. "And to answer your inquiry, Level 8. Rather low for my standards I'm afraid."

Shira smiled warmly at the blonde man sitting opposite her as he assured her that the secret is in good hands. Shira's brows knitted into a frown when he announced he was eight and that it wasn't good enough. "Rather low? What do you mean? What are you hoping for?" She asked bluntly. Quite honestly, Shira was overwhelmed with the number of people who had climbed to higher levels so quickly, while she was still struggling at four. Shira had been living in a cocoon, but she often heard of whispers about level six and seven. The girl was very surprised when Nik said that he had reached eight. It had been what... A few weeks since the game started? Maybe a month? How were people fighting the game so fast?

She wondered if she and Hataki were playing it a bit too safe. The bespectacled girl now had another beef to pick with Hataki. Had that guy being keeping her from doing the more dangerous things? Thanks to his misplaced sense of responsibility towards her. Did he actually feel guilty and think he was the reason she was in this mess and that it was his duty to made sure he got out alive? Even as these thoughts swam through her mind, she realized this was all out of concern, but in the heat of the moment it only increased her heat for him. Maybe even the rumors about players having reached floor thirteen were true then... But they couldn't be... So soon? Shira felt rather out of all the action, something she had never imagined. Here she was, thinking material gathering is the way to go and that soon she would be fully equipped and battle ready. Had Hataki used her lack of knowledge about games like these against her?

"Umm..." She felt a great reluctance in asking this question, but Shira knew she had to know. "Is it true that level thirteen has been cleared and people are, as we speak fighting the boss on floor fourteen?" she asked Nik. "I've heard rumors, but I refused to believe them, I've been trying so hard to level up, but i've just had no luck... Do you know anything about this?" She asked in a soft voice, keeping an eye out for Hataki, making sure he didn't overhear.

(OOC: I don't know how long we've actually had SAO going in IC terms, but I think within the first month on the show they had cleared level 13...)

The young man re-adjusted in the booth so that he was more directly facing Shira. "I mean for all the time I've spent here in Aincrad, we have players out there pushing the front lines for us...and I'm not one of them. My hopes? I hoped to have found my sister by now, but she seems as elusive as ever. I just-" The blonde stopped. He was opening up to a stranger he had only met moments ago. Once again pushing the stray strands back, he chuckled. "Look at me getting all worked up over things I can't control. Well aside from my level that is."

His eyes flicked tot he brunette who seemed to be returning back tot he table. Gesturing to Hataki with his eyes, Niklaus returned to his slouched position and averted his gaze back to the drippings of the pane. Where are you Rebekah? Are you out there? Fighting for us? Hiding much like I did in the beginning? You just better be alright.  Sighing, he let out a yawn as Hataki returned.

Unlike usually, Hataki was greeted by the innkeeper with some predisposition. He had always been nice to Hataki; he wondered what was bothering him. I mean… His tavern is full. If anything, he should be at least mildly happy. But Hataki’s internal question was quickly answered. “Could you ask your lady friend to go change into something dry? I don’t think my cushions can handle all the moisture,” he whined. Hataki rolled his eyes. Seriously? Shut up you lump of binary digits. He wanted to say it out aloud, but he didn’t. “Look… I’ll pay for the repair costs. Just don’t mention it again. Now… Do you have something hot to drink?” At the mention of payment, the innkeeper went back to his cheery self. “Of course! Of course! I’ve brewed my own special tea this afternoon. Would you like to try it?” he asked, expectantly. “Sure! Give me three cups of that,” he pulled out some COL from his pockets and laid it on the counter. As he waited for the innkeeper to fill three cups with his special tea, Hataki rested his arm on the counter and shifted slightly to look at Shira. She seemed to be having an interesting discussion with Nik. He wondered what they were talking about.

“There you go! Three cups of my special tea and some complementary crisps,” the innkeeper said, pushing a plate towards him. “Thank you!” Hataki said in response. He carried the plate with the tea and crisps back to their table. “The innkeeper was nice enough to give us some crisps for free,” he said, putting the plate on the table and taking his seat again. “So… What were you guys talking about?” he asked casually, popping a crisp into his mouth.

The dark hair had begun to dry, falling in voluminous waves again, instead of being stuck to her face and back, but the same could not be said about her clothing. Shira heeded Nik's unspoken warning that Hataki was approaching and with a curt nod, to signal that she understood, she leaned away from the blonde, as did he from her. This quick distance that was drawn between them signalled the end of their short private conversation. The level 8 guy had given Shira a decent bit to think about. She learned about the frontliners and decided it was about time she tried exploring a little bit to find out about them. Shira also intended on talking about this with Hataki, the moment they got a chance to. Her fellow level four partner or so, waddled up to them, carrying a tray of three glasses, with steam billowing over their openings and a bowl of crisp.

Oh look at him all cheery and sparkly eyed Shira thought with annoyance, while some other people are  grinding like crazy and fighting at the frontlines to save our sorry selves... Her trail of thought punctuated itself with an impassive face. She needed some way to vent and settled for some snide shots at Hataki, she wasn't going to let him off the hook so easy especially with the added grudge of him keeping things from her. Akira was definitely still mad with the stint he pulled off not to mention she was setting base for the bigger argument that was probably going to follow later that day.

He announced the crisps ended up being complimentary. When he asked what they were talking about, Shira sternly said "Nothing." She didn't care enough to wrought some extravagant lie about the exchange she'd had with Nik exactly, at least not at this moment. Since Akira felt no remorse about having talked behind his back, considering the action he had been keeping her from, she also didn't feel the need to explain herself. And so began the pot shots at the poor brown haired boy.

The pair had been anything but transactional, always willing to help each other out in a time of need, she knew what she was about to say, would be slightly insulting, but to any third party it would probably come off as harmless. "How much do I owe you?" She said slowly and deliberately. With little regard to the fact that she was probably driving a wedge through their relationship by being so hard on him. The girl had often done this, made someone pay for what she thought was a mistake on their part, only to regret it later when her relationship hung on a feeble thread, unfortunately Shira never learned her lesson.

Edited by Shira

Heels clicked against the tavern floor, as the brunette returned to them. Hefting a tray with him, he placed the platter on the table as he passed out drinks and crisps for them to enjoy. Glancing over at the tea placed before him, Niklaus offered a dry thanks whilst inching the warmed cup closer to himself. His blonde locks spilled over his head once more as he tilted the digital mug to his lips, allowing the smooth liquid to sail effortlessly down his throat. The light drink warmed his core, causing him to nearly yawn from the immediate comfort the drink offered.

Placing the cup back down, he looked over to Shira who seemed to have handled Hataki's question at hand. Holding true to his word, the blonde offered no follow up to her response, only a dejected look to the brunette, replacing the words he couldn't speak. Shifting to a more open and receiving position, Niklaus raised his fist to his cheek as he slouched in his seat to rest upon it. "So riddle me this, how'd you two managed to get stuck in this beautifully crafted hell hole we live in today?"

Shira’s ‘nothing’ was more hostile than Hataki expected it to be. It was almost like she had found even more reason to hate him while he was gone to get drinks. The poor man didn’t know that, actually, was the case. He turned to Niklaus, who seemed to look dispirited. What could they have spoken about that made her angrier towards me? For a moment, he thought Niklaus had said something about him to her. But he quickly realized they barely knew each other and he had no reason to do such a thing. Unless… He likes her and wants me out of the way. Hataki dwelled on that thought for quite a while, giving Nik sceptical glances as he sipped on his tea. Eventually, Hataki’s optimistic side took over and he chose not to blame Nik and hold a prejudice against him simply out of speculation. Maybe she is just upset with the rain.

Unfortunately though, Shira only made it more difficult for him to stay positive. Asking him how much she owed him was quite offending. They had shared several meals before and this question had never come up. She had crafted him his weapon for free and he was planning on crafting their armour. So, offering to pay for some tea was just an outright act of spite. It has always been ‘we’ and ‘ours’ and she very well knew it. He was about to snap right then and ask her to stop, but he realized that’s not going to work. So, instead, he just took a deep breath and responded calmly. “The usual. A ‘thank you’,” he said, without looking at her.

The silence began to feel awkward. This is the first time that had happened between them. Luckily, Nik broke the silence with his question and Hataki was glad. “My story is the usual. Avid gamer. VR enthusiast. Couldn’t wait to get into this game. She, on the other hand, has never played any videogame before and is here because of me.” Hataki really wasn’t in the mood to elaborate and thought he would let Shira do that if she wanted.

Nik asked a question which gavee Shira another opportunity to make Hataki uncomfortable, but she didn't want to exploit that one. Not because it was underhanded and a false accusation, but because increasing his useless guilt was going to work against her. Shira really didn't need to pile on more responsibility on Hataki's head, winding him up till he probably thought the best course of action was to baby sit her in the Town of Beginnings itself. She just gave Hataki a fleeting glance so he would answer the question.

Her clothes were no longer drenched. The fabric of her basic clothing was now, just.. damp. It was a sudden thing, like the game program didn't quite work with gradual... She narrowed her eyes shooting daggers at Hataki with them. The usual, thank you huh? She thought. "Oh so now I have to thank you is it?" She mumbled through gritted teeth, trying to let only Hataki catch her words although she was sure if Nik was paying attention he'd hear them too. "Well... Thank you so much for your troubles, I hope I can be of some service to you too." Shira responded, every word dripping with sarcasm as she finished with an exaggerated bow of her head in his direction. Akira was pushing him till he had to accept her bait. The girl wanted this fight, she needed it. To make things worse she was about to deny the beverage he'd brought them, but in all honesty she needed the warmth and subconsciously, she didn't want to test the foundation or their friendships that much.

Her hand inched towards the cup slowly and her fingers clasped themselves around it. Ah the warmth, she thought, just holding it sent waves of comfort, radiating from her palm through her slightly cold body. She remain focused on her drink unwilling to cast any more looks towards Hataki. Shira's eyes involuntarily closed as the drink did its magic. How can a game item make me feel this way? Akira marveled. This wasn't new, her mind was ever whirring with speculations about the details involving the game's programming and the effects it had on the players' senses, more often than not she would grudgingly admire the creator, despite his maniac attitude. Genius compliments madness I suppose. She thought.

Hataki did get to answering Nik's question and as Shira had predicted he betrayed his guilt on getting her involved in this. "No. Hataki is the owner of The Gaming Shack." Shira piped in. She said motioning to Hataki. "In a brief lapse of judgement, I fell prey to peer pressure and my friends dragged me along to visit his shack, turned out there was a gaming tournament of sorts... and the NerveGear was the prize" She elaborated, punctuating her words with small sips from her tea. "I can never turn down a good match, plus "Sword arts online" the name sounded very attractive to me... I practice with a Katana in real life, Kenjustu champion..." She said, mumbling the last bit because she didn't want to sound like she was bragging. . "I won. Beginner's luck I suppose. So I'm here. My OWN doing." She said darting an look towards Hataki, it was an attempt to assuage his guilt, but the look betrayed her rage.

"What about you, Nik? Why are you here?"  She said, steering the conversation towards him, feeling bad that he had unwittingly dragged himself into the mess she and Hataki were in.

Though Niklaus hadn't known the two for long, his observation of them seemed lined with more information than he could care to ask for. His thoughts ran rampant with judgments and impressions as well as their feelings and actions toward one another. His thoughts lasted him throughout most of Hataki's simple yet fulfilling answer, however; his focus snapped as a comment laced with traces sarcasm reached his ears. His crimson eyes slowly steadied upon Shira as she snapped back a few quips and a retelling of how she ended up here. His thoughts swam once more. Going over his encounter with them thus far. However, he came to the conclusion, its still didn't add up. Why Shira? Why did she treat the poor fellow the way she did? Furthermore, why does he put up with it? Again it didn't make any sense.

He sighed. His mind exhausted from rummaging through answers he wouldn't get without asking. Putting his brain to a more practical use, the blonde mulled over the answer to his own question proposed by Shira. To tell them the full details would take ages within itself, I suppose I'll keep it brief. "To answer, I came here for my sister, I had heard a rumor that this game was intended to be a death game from the start. I assumed it was crazy talk and dismissed the notion. How naive I was when I realized that all the possibilities were right there. So rather than leave her to her own devices, despite my utmost faith in her abilities to handle herself, I joined in as well." He paused, thought of having still not seeing her brought a hush upon his lips. Shaking it clear, he finished, "Tis' why I'm here now. Looking for leads I guess you could say."

Hataki did not need her to say thank you. He just didn’t know what else to say when she asked how much she owed him. It was just a diplomatic response to avert any bitter conversation. But, that didn’t seem to work. He kept sipping his tea with a small smile, which never faded despite Shira’s digs at him. He really couldn’t understand why he was being pushed to fight, especially in front of someone they had just met. Maybe he would ask her why, later. Nevertheless, the young man did not have it within him to fight back and it is not just because it is Shira. He runs a club in real life and hosts gaming tournaments. Everyone knows how enraged gamers can get; if he fought back for every snide comment and provocation, his shack would have turned into a boxing arena instead of a gaming arena. He had trained himself well to not let other people’s negative emotions to affect him. If possible, he would try to project his positivity on them.

As for why he puts up with Shira, there were several reasons. One, she is a lot more than this pent-up bundle of anger and he knows it very well. Two, he still blames himself for her joining this game and would do everything to ensure her safety. And third reason is the fact that he actually likes her; but he still denies it in his own head.

Hataki was glad that the subject changed to Nik’s story. The smile on his face finally faded after hearing Nik. “My… I’m so sorry. I hope you find your sister soon,” he said. Nik also reminded him of a customer he once had in his shop. Raun… I think was his name. “You are the second person I’m meeting who entered the game to save his sister. These ladies are very lucky to have brothers like you two. Why don’t you tell us how your sister looks like? If we find her, we will immediately send you a message. Also, find an artisan and have him sketch your sister. That way, you can put up fliers in Guild Halls.”

Grudgingly, Shira admired Hataki's cool headedness. He sipped his tea with that characteristic smile of his, her words washed over him like water off a duck's back. Shira could see judgement in Nik's eyes. I must be coming across as a real witch. She thought. Hataki was cornering her, giving her no choice but to back off, at least for the time being. Look at him, playing the victim card so well. The girl was used to coming across as a villain, the reasons for her actions were always hidden and so the actions themselves were always harsh. The girl too concentrated on her drink with a heavy sigh. That guy, he could make her like him and hate him all at the same time. Could it be? Shira had never really had any real feelings for anyone, except fleeting crushes, but Hataki brought out a concern in her, that was unfounded and unprecedented. She shook the thought out of her head, sticking to her slightly icy demeanor.

Nik had gone onto explain that he was here to help his sister. Rather brave, and a little foolish. Shira thought, but had she had a sibling she would have probably done the same thing."That is very nice of you Nik, and brave too..." she said simply, while considering the whole story at hand. Hataki went onto give some suggestions, he also spoke of a customer that he had recieved, who had been in a similar circumstance. "You never told me about this guy..." she said mildly surprised and trying to keep the accusatory tone out of her voice. Hataki wasn't obliged to tell her anything, but they usually shared small details about their days with each other and from the sounds of this, it could be important. Shira had been growing a little annoyed at everyone putting themselves into danger for someone else. She addressed Nik again "But have you ever thought, what your sister would feel when she realizes you have deliberately put yourself into this death game, into harms way for her, especially if things get unfortunate? What if she doesn't need help, what if she's fine?" Shira said, this time genuinely worried about people who did this so easily, people like Hataki who she knew would put himself in danger for her.

Edited by Shira