[PP-F1] The Tale Begins (grave)

A yawn echoed throughout the City of Beginnings. A yawn so loud that, the windows of his room shook, and rattled. Papyrus, had finally got a plan together. It was perfect. So what that it took several months to come up with it, and who cared that it would take even longer still to make it to fruition. All that mattered was that he now had a goal. And today, was the day it all began.

Papyrus threw the covers off of his body, and quickly spun around throwing his feet off over the end of the bed where he had slept in the night before. He put two arms above his head, stretching, before he stood. He looked in the mirror that was above the dresser across the room. Seeing his reflection, Papyrus got to his feet, and quickly made his way to the mirror.

He made several faces. Some silly, some serious, but all of them were his face. Which is what made them so great. He gave the mirror a big grin, before speaking to himself. “Perfect, like always! Now, show me that determination!” He said to himself, before putting on what was a sad excuse for a game face and more of a ‘I just passed gassed and are trying to hide it’ face. He smirked. “Perfect. Time to go!” He said, before dashing out of the inn.

Outside, he saw that there were very little people around. He recognized the few that remained, but it seemed more and more left the first floor each day. Soon, no one but the NPC’s and he would remain and he would be alone. Well, as alone as one can be with about 200+ non-playable characters with a strict set of dialogue options. Papyrus smiled anyway. The NPC’s were people, just as much as he was. They had families, jobs, and even homes. They had something to strive for, and it filled Papyrus with the fire to do what he had sought out to do.

But before he did, he would need someone to accompany him. Someone of his level, to assist him with the trials and tribulations that his first quest would come with. Someone who would think he was cool, and would want to be his friend. Someone who would talk about him, and get his name out and around. But who indeed. “Aha!” He said aloud, noticing a player amongst the pile of NPC quest tutors.

Papyrus bounded up to the player, and greeted them the only way he knew how. With a great big smile, and his name. “Well hello there! I am the great and wonderful, Papyrus! And I have a quest for you, should you choose to accept it!” He said, looking at the player’s eyes. Any normal person would see the look as confusion, or bewilderment. “Ahhh. I can see already from the look in your eyes. That you have the determination of a thousand souls! A person who sets a goal, and would never fall astray! A fellow, determine!” Papyrus said, misusing the word and not allowing the other player a chance to speak.

“I, the Great Papyrus, am about to embark on a quest of my own! And I, the Great Papyrus, require an alley, or a companion to travel with! The road will be dangerous and most certainly perilous. BUT fear not! For the Great Papyrus will keep you safe with every step!” He said, throwing up an arm to the sky pointing to the sun that loomed overhead.

I sat on a quite simple crate in the Town of Beginnings, the <<Earning a Living>> questgivers forming a circle around me. Of course, it was not deliberate they did such a thing; I more so dragged the box between them and seated myself with a bottle of really crappy beer I purchased from a store. Swigging it and wincing as the stagnant-tasting liquid washed over my tongue, I looked between the questgivers at the very slowly amount of players in the streets. It was quiet... was not something I was used to. Parties and such were my sort of thing, but I guessed silence (apart from the quiet droning of the NPCs as they 'recited' their dialogue) was not too bad of a change.

At least it WAS quiet until some strange man ran up to me with a goofy beaming smile. I kindly rose and grinned down at him and listened to what he had to say. He called himself 'great' and 'wonderful', and pretty much put my arrogance to shame. I grinned nervously with a slight 'heh...' as he proceeded to give me a 'quest'. "Uh... alright, I guess I... 'accept this quest'?" I responded sheepishly, right eye wincing as I looked through a half closed left. He began vomiting this speech about my 'immense spirit' as it came across to me, and I gave yet another nervous chuckle. "T-thanks... I guess?" I replied.

This guy was weird... not to say I did not like him though, he was weird in a funny and interesting way.

He continued rambling on, and I could not help but crack a wider smile; he was amusing me on this quiet morning on the first floor. "Alright, 'Great Papyrus', whose heads are we knocking together today?" I asked, dropping the bottle so it shattered into data on the floor and clacked my bound knuckles together.

“Here’s hoping that this will be easy, and no head bashing required!” Papyrus said, with a boisterous laughter. Papyrus walked over to a large mercenary type person. This person was only known as the ‘warrior trainer’, and trained warriors in the way of combat. Nearly all of the players who chose him as a mentor, went with the blacksmith trade, or the fisherman. But Papyrus had a different idea. With a quick, yet over dramatic, flick his fingers Papyrus accepted a quest. He gave an inaudible squeal as a ‘quest accepted’ message appeared before him. The Mercenary, looked both directions before looking down at Papyrus questioningly. “So, cooking. Hum…. about that.” The NPC spoke. “Do I have a mission for you! On the fourth floor of Aincrad there is an abandoned building that you can make use of. Here, you can use this key to get into it.” The Mercenary said, as he held out a key. Papyrus took the key proudly. And without missing a beat, Papyrus began to skip off to the teleporter. After he was out of ear shot, the NPC looked at the other player that was with him still. “I taught him everything I know about cooking. And that about includes boiling water. Whatever he tries to cook, I’d avoid. Assuming he is able to use that shack as a kitchen.” The NPC said, before returning to his normal code of walking about the same area, for all of eternity.

As Papyrus was handed the key, he could barely keep himself still. “Would you look at that? A key! That’s like, the number one game trope! He must really have faith in my abilities to cook!” He exclaimed, positively giddy with excitement. “I’m gonna be a bone-a-fide cook in no time!” Papyrus said, marching onto the teleporter.

Edited by Papyrus

I hung my head in disappointment as Papyrus pacified me and told me he hoped no head-bashing would be required. "Aww..." I whimpered quietly as he approached a big burly man and accepted a quest; it was the same guy who gave me my cooking quest... and surprise, surprise, guess what Papyrus chose? Cooking. Looked like I was going to have to babysit. The burly NPC told Papyrus of an abandoned building that he could use to get started on his cooking; when did get to use that?! I was forced to forage for my own ingredients and start up my shop all alone! Why did this guy get special treatment?!

Papyrus eagerly took the key to the building, and we were about to leave when the NPC mentioned him teaching me everything he knew, and advising Papyrus that he avoid anything I cook. "Hey! I am actually a quite popular Cook, so you know! You wanna try-" I began to challenge him to try my cooking, but Papyrus was already lost in thoughts and beside himself as he mused over the key in his palms. "Jeez, you seem to be super impressed with that key..." I mumbled to the Cook-in-training, before he made a bone pun for no particular reason as he entered the teleporter. "Hey, buddy... not sure if you know, but puns are supposed to have some kind of relevance to the situation or person using them..." I explained, before whispering, "Teleport: Snowfrost." Into the teleporter, the blue, shimmering sphere engulfing me, and likely Papyrus after.