[OP-F1] Beginning the Adventure (COMPLETE)

As Ed left the city gate he looked around at the country surrounding the city, it was beautiful. There were rolling hills, covered in lush, green grass. The sun was shining, and there was a slight breeze, it was like a perfect summer day. As he began walking, Ed couldn't help but wonder "What could possibly be better than this world, right here?"

Edwyn stopped suddenly, a thought shocking him like lightening, he had just left the city limits, and still didn't have his sword equipped, what a fool! Ed quickly brought up his items and equipped his basic sword. The short iron sword appeared in a plain looking scabbard attached to his hip. Phew...that was close, he thought, breathing a sigh of relief. He glanced around quickly again, but there were no animals or monsters in sight yet. Might as well try a couple of basic motions, before going any farther, he thought. With that he drew his sword and began going through some different stances, attacks and blocks. It felt great to move through the motions. He concentrated on moving fluidly from one form to the next, only going faster when he felt that he had the last one down.

Reaching the city limits Miaki noticed a young boy practicing weapon motions at the city gates. 'Looks like I might have a brand new greenhorn.' The man clad in khaki pants, a light brown jacket which he kept open, spectacles, and a light brown fedora approached the young boy practicing.

"Yo. Would you like some help with combat training?" He looked the kid over and guessed that this was his first time leaving the city.

Ed was so absorbed with his blade practice that he didn't even hear the other player approach. He sheathed his sword and turned around to face the newcomer, he looked like he'd been here for longer than Ed had. He was wearing a lot of brown, brown jacket, light brown fedora, khaki pants; the clothes were obviously better than the basic ones that ed was wearing though, he just had a simple blue shirt, black pants and boots. Jeez, he thought, I'm going to have to invest in some new gear once I get some more money and get to the next town. Brushing those thoughts aside he stuck his hand out to the other guy, "Sure, any help would be awesome. The names Edwyn, what's yours?"

"I'm Miaki." He said while making a strong handshake with Edwyn. "Trying to get an idea as to how the system works?" Once Miaki himself got a grasp of the system in Sword Art Online, he liked to help those who had yet to gain a foothold of this death game they were all trapped in. He looked over the player named Edwyn. Tall, strong, clearly had some form of basic training. Miaki recognized the results having had several friends back in the real world who were in ROTC and in military school.

"Good to meet you. Yeah, I'm just going through some of the motions before jumping into a battle headfirst. I thought it would be good to practice a bit before actually starting something." Ed replied. "After all, the only way to survive here is to just get stronger and stronger, and you've got to start somewhere."

"Well practicing is a good place to start as any. Just remember, this is something one friend I made in here told me about this game. Remember that not everything is about your level. It's about your will to keep moving forward and not give up. Even when things seem grim and at their darkest, there is always a light at the end. Never lose that will and drive to beat this game." Miaki gave a thumbs up remembering the words told to him by Kirito.

"So, how would you like me to help? It's always nice to have someone to help."

The will to succeed... Ed definitely thought that he had that, SAO had been the only thing he could think about for months on end, and now that he was finally inside the game...nothing was going to stand in his way. "Hmmmmm. Got any good tips for leveling up easy? Or a good way to make Col to buy some new gear?" Ed asked Miaki.

"Any good ways to get COL, gear, or simply level huh?" Miaki thought about it for a moment. How exactly did he get started in SAO? He did a lot of things in the beginning but had a difficult time thinking about how to tell someone.

"Well when it comes down to it, the best way to level gain COL is to just get out there and do something."" He said this while waving his hand over the field beyond the city ways. "Far as gear goes, there are some quests that have item rewards but you can find some pretty sweet stuff in the markets on the other floors. Remember you can visit the other floors that have been cleared even at a low level. It just wouldn't be safe to go looking for trouble unless you have some protection. I've seen many players get along just fine on the upper floors. They stay away from monsters and the dungeons and do well for themselves."

"Good point. I guess I was thinking that because I was still level one that I should stick near here. But that would only hold true for quests and monster battles. Even so, I think I should probably do some leveling down here before heading up much higher. Being cautious can save your life in a game like this. But I'll have to remember that I don't need to buy all new gear from this floor, I can always go a little higher for better stuff. Thanks for the tip!" Ed said enthusiastically. Now that he had an idea of what to do, things would get simpler...hopefully.

"Yeah, no problem. Remember the teleport gates are on each floor and lead to the main city on each of them. Cities are completely safe. In fact when we get the seventh floor clear, it's common practice to have a bunch of people rush the floor and have a floor clearing party." Miaki had yet to attend one since getting in SAO but heard they were a lot of fun.

"Wow. I have to admit, SAO is nothing like I thought it was going to be, besides the obvious reason, it just seems like a lot of people are finding ways to pass the time and actually enjoy themselves without losing their hold on reality. Given time SAO could be come a really nice place to live." Ed wondered about that, what did he think about that? Which world did he enjoy more, the real world...or SAO? It was hard to say, and that line was growing more in distinct every passing day.

"Given time SAO could be come a really nice place to live."

"I take it this must be your first full dive using the NerveGear. Sorry it had to be like this." Miaki turned and looked out at the dungeon tower far off in the distance and the next floor it reached far overhead. He had a hard time coming to terms with the realism of Sword Art Online when he first was getting himself off the ground. He shrugged."Still. The real world. This world. I stopped trying to distinguish the two ages ago it seems like. Life isn't bad here at all. It's pretty sweet actually. With a sword, spear, or axe in hand one can take themselves to such places they only have dreamed of before. I've never felt more alive than I have here in SAO. Its the adventure of a lifetime." He realized he was starting to sound like he was giving a motivational speech or something. He scratched the back of his neck before turning back to Edwyn. "Keep on living is what Im trying to say I suppose."

"But that's the question isn't it?" Ed questioned. "Should the goal of the game be to simply survive? Or to thrive and try to live as wholly here as we did in the real world? I suppose it's different for everyone, but for me it's easy, we're still alive in here after all. Aircrad may not be the world we're used to, but it is a world, and this is life. I want to experience as much as I can here before the game is cleared, because I have no doubt that we will eventually clear the game." He thought about his life in the old world and compared it to this one, he truly felt more alive here than back in reality. The world of SAO was invigorating and different, a beautiful place where one could be happy, if you just let yourself.

Miaki pointed at Edwyn. "Now you've got it! The answer is in the question. What makes you happy? What makes you feel alive? For everyone its different. Some open up shops and take up professions. So go for strength and endure the hardest trials to test their mettle. Others simply live day by day in sheer bliss. Not everyone gets it though and they live in insecurity and fear. It takes people like us-" He said pointing at the himself and Edwyn. "to try and be that beacon or banner for others to rally behind."

"I, for one, want to join the front lines when I get strong enough," Edwyn declared. "Because no matter how much I might enjoy being in SAO, I know that there are plenty of people here that hate it and feel trapped, so I want to fight for them, and clear the game for them, even if it means the end of the life that I know here."

"Well, I must be going," Ed said finally. "It seems that I have much to do if I am indeed to join the Assault Team some day. I think it's time I head back to town for the night though, it's beginning to get dark. Tomorrow though, tomorrow I hunt, to gain experience and col so that one day soon, I can join the Assault Team to attempt to leave this game of death. It was nice to meet you Miaki, maybe we'll see each other again sometime."

With that Edwyn turned to head back to the town. He could use some good food and an even better nights sleep. He had a feeling that his muscles were going to be sore tomorrow, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing, sore meant that you had worked and pushed yourself, sore was good. But as he walked down the Main Street of the town he thought. What should the first thing I do be? A quest? Some basic leveling on my own? Hmmmmm, so many options. But first things first, dinner.