PP-F1: 'Earning a Living: Alchemic Remedy'

The lilac haired woman had not thought about obtaining professions, or travelling higher floors up until now. Some may call her weak, or cowardly.Technically, she hadn't even picked her starter weapon yet. Every so often her eyes would linger over the blinking prompt when she had her menu open, but never - did she bother with it. Esther was one of the people who chose to stay behind after the mad dash to the higher floors. Her reasons were all varied, and in her eyes justified. She wanted, hoped that she would meet up with the friends she lost in the scramble. She was not a fighter, conflict stressed her out, and she was not a gamer. Fighting mechanics would only confuse her. There was also the matter of tending to those who were in less jovial spirits than her. The people who could not mentally handle the reality of being stuck inside a game, and children. Esther had spent most of her time up until now looking after those children. Only ever leaving the town to visit the nearby Horunka Village;  and to collect flowers, a simple thing she had come to enjoy within Aincrad.

Would that be considered cowardly to some?
Is looking after the wellbeing and wellfare of young kids really considered wasting ones time?

Esther didn't think so.

Still, despite all this - the young woman found herself walking up to a small establishment near the village centre, on the door in neat gilded letters were the words 'Profession Quests' Her hand reached out and traced the letters. Her earlier run in with Arc had somewhat of an impact on her. There were many professions, and many ways to help others. He was right in one sense, Esther had become too complacent with her current position. If she just reached a little higher she could not only better herself, but others around her.

With a deep breath Esther pushed open the door. The interior was much like the other stores that littered the town. There was a counter closer to the back, and behind the counter stood a stalwart man in his mid thirties. At least, in looks. NPCs did not age after all.

Esther engaged in a brief conversation with the NPC, it went simple enough - he asked her if she wanted to take on a profession, and she chose the one she thought would suit her best. Alchemy. After all, if she were able to, she would have gone for a healer, a mage, or some type of spell caster. Unfortunately her friends failed to mention that such mechanics did not exist in SAO. Alchemy, seemed to be the next best thing.

Upon accepting the quest Esther left the quaint shop. However, her confident stead soon faltered as she neared the boundaries of the town. She was supposed to find materials, she could probably find them easily enough, but doing so whilst avoiding battle? 

"Mmmmm...."  The woman shifted her weight from white heeled boot, to white heeled boot, debating on what her best course of action would be. "Should I message Arc to help me? He is a mercenary, he would probably want something in return...." She mused loudly to herself.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A burst of red pixels scattered to the grassy fields of Floor One. Lycan stood amidst the digital ash of the fallen boar, hefting his Harbinger to his shoulder and back into its sheath. With a deep breath, a sigh, and wipe of his brow, he turned to the timid players which watched him.

"Everyone okay?" he asked.

Inside the Perimeter Gardens, several non-combatants nodded back to him. Others offered their thanks or a brief smile. Since what Lycan called, "The Week of the Dead", many of the players were trapped inside the Town of Beginnings out of fear. What once was the spurn for adventure now became the fear of impending doom. These players forfeited their desire fight digital monsters and over time, resorted to a similar lifestyle as seen on the other side. To do this, they needed food, water, and resources. Hence, the Perimeter Gardens were formed - small sections of tilled land just outside the city walls where players could gather necessary materials without having to venture deep into hostile territory.

"Good," Lycan nodded with a smile. He took a moment to search out any other nearby threat, but found reassurance that the mobs were spawning further out. He made his way to the city's archway where he perched himself against the wall and remained on watch for any stray boar, bee, or similar threat.

While the Gardens were still close to the division between safe zone and wilds, the occasional random respawn put innocent lives in jeopardy. It was a short run to safety, but as anyone knows, all it takes is the blink of an eye. On his off days, Lycan liked to give back to the Town of Beginnings for keeping so many people safe including his earlier days. Free of charge, he played lifeguard for the gardeners and civilians so they could harvest in peace.

"Should I message Arc to help me? He is a mercenary, he would probably want something in return...." Lycan heard nearby, directing his attention to a bright haired young woman. The youth raised a brow, noting her close proximity to the safe zone limits and cautious gaze towards the fields.

"Something you need help with, Miss?" Lycan called out, curiosity plain to see on his face.

A voice called out to her, and Esther gave a small jump - she had been lost in her own thoughts. Here she was, trying to find someone to help her scout materials, and lo and behold, someone had offered their assistance. Esther smiled warmly at the thought. For all the trials and tribulations that occurred on the higher floors, all the despair and betrayals that she heard rumours about, it was still nice to see good, decent people on the lower floors.

Esther turned on her heel to fully face the other. He was tall, and slender - with youthful features on his face. His eyes were that of honey, a subdued orange, brilliant and wide with curiosity. Wisps of white hair framed his face. His attire was simple, with shades of red and black. Very common colors in Aincrad. He looked vagually familiar, Esther had seen him on occasion out in the fields, slaying boars for some of the cooks to gather materials. So Esther could only assume that he was, an all around decent person. "Yes, actually." Esther said, as she broached the gap between them with two long steps. "But first, I think it's polite to introduce myself first~" Esther chimed as she held out her hand. "I'm Esther, It's nice to meet you. I don't know you, but I know of you." She began, not giving the poor youth time to respond to her introduction. 

"You come here every so often don't you? You go and slay the mobs that are too close to the town. That's very kind and generous of you. So thank you for all your hard work."

The youth raised a brow.

'Know of me?', he thought, spending a few more moments racking his brain if he had met her before. 'I don't think my reputation has preceded me... Has it?' 

"Lycan," he replied shortly as he eased himself off the wall and turned toward her. "And yeah, I like to return back to my roots to help the city. About a quarter of the players trapped here gave up their thirst for adventure. Can't blame them, but they at least deserve a sense of safety."

The teen took a few steps toward her, took her hand. In the real world, a proper gentleman would kiss it like so many generic movies. Instead, he offered a respectable bow and pulled his hand from hers. He ran his eyes along her flowing magenta hair, long and slightly waved. Her green eyes contrasted the warm hue of her fair skin. Her features held an aura of softness and lacked the hardened edges gained through SAO's more troubling experiences. In all, her form boasted developed curvature, putting her age near his, if not older. While she had his interest, but his focus remained on the sounds of field. If a boar killed one of the townsfolk while he gallivanted with some pretty lady, he wouldn't be able to live with the guilt. 

"So, what is it you needed help with?" Lycan asked, folding his arms over his chest.

Lycan mentioned that a good qaurter of the people had given up on their first adventure. The honest, and seemingly innocent statement didn't sit right with Esther. "Now that's not a nice way to put it." She mused, "They - we aren't so much giving up on our adventures, as we are talking up other roles. Child carers, bakers, farmers. A lot of the food that the higher levelled players consume are made and harvested by us. We may not be out slaying creatures or clearing floors - but many of us, are working just as hard." Esther seemed to almost chastize Lycan with her words - but she meant no harm by it. She said her spiel with a small pout, and her words almost had a sense of proud vigor. After her words, Esther offered him a smile, and a laugh. "It's not as fame worthy or glorious, but to me, everyones efforts are equally as important...you know?"

"O-Oh!"

Lycan had breached the gap and taken her hand in his, gripping it warmly and snug in his black leather glove. "It's good to meet you Lycan, and place a name to your face." Esther said in full earnesty. It may have seemed that his earlier remark bothered her, but it was far from the case. Esther enjoyed talking about the efforts of the people, she spoke about them with a proud confidence - and it seemed that she revelled in the opportunity to highlight their work. Lycan seemed like a jovial enough fellow to take it in stride. Unlike Arc, Lycan's features were kinder- calmer. The corners of his mouth turned up into a smile as he asked what she needed help with. 

The question seemed to bring life into the young woman. She glanced down and realized she was still tightly grasping his hand, "Ah! Help! Yes!" She said, quickly letting go, her mind jumping to the topic at hand. She opened up her menu, and bought up the quest requirements. "You see... I..Uh.." Esther gave Lycan a sideward glance and a sheepish grin. "I hadn't thought about gaining a profession - to me, looking after the children was rewarding enough, but a chance encounter with a grumpy man made me want to reach that little farther-" She paused, glancing up at the bright blue sky. "I am content with where I am now, but I see nothing wrong with wanting more. So. Long story short...I want to gain a profession. An Alchemist to be exact. It requires me to gain several materials, and bring it back to the quest shop. If I know my games - and lets face it... I really, really don't..." She paused, laughing at her joke, and her own inept skills within SAO. "I'd assume I'd have to craft something to complete it."

Esther stepped in closer to Lycan, so he could easily see the details on her user interface, "the issue is...I am somewhat of a pacifist. Call me stupid, but I don't have a starter weapon selected - and would rather leave that be. I don't have the talent for that. So I need someone to help me, I don't want to run into trouble. I can't pay you in Col...or even materials, but I promise I can make it up to you in the future."

She turned to Lycan, holding out her pinky finger - it was a very childish action coming from a young lady who if one knew her age, seemed far too old for such things. Still, the young, innocent appearance of Esther almost matched her heartfelt action. "Pinky Promise."

From upset to genuine in a matter of seconds. It reminded the boy of a time before SAO and his confusing, colorful attempts at socializing with girls his age.

"I think you misinterpreted my meaning. When we all first picked up SAO and a Nervegear, we entered the game expecting just that: a game. Go to the fields, fight some monsters, laugh, play, die, respawn..." He hung on the last word. It hit him harder than he expected as memories of those faces moments before shattering like glass boiled to the surface. It made his stomach churn. He took a deep breath.

"When the GM made the announcement and we all received the Mirrors of Truth, the will to go on an adventure - to play the game - died for so many people. I don't blame them, nor do I resent them. What they do is just as valuable as those risking their lives against the floor bosses. Those twenty five percent are why I'm here protecting them as they harvest."

Lycan gestured to the players in the tilled gardens. A young woman looked to the slowly listing clouds in the artificial sky before wiping her brow and turning to the two small children pulling up root vegetables beside her.

Hopefully clarified, Lycan changed his tone.

"Anyway, I happen to be an alchemist too. I'm not a Grand Master yet, but I have a few ranks under my belt. In fact, you don't even need to go into dangerous territory for the basic ingredients. These gardens grow several herbs you can use in lower grade potions and salves. The higher grade materials... well..."

The platinum crested swordsman rubbed at the adolescent scruff struggling to grow from his chin.

"Without hunting for it yourself, you'll need to figure out a supply line or get a player on contract to hunt for you." He shook his head. "It won't be cheap either way, but you'll be peddling the low end stuff until you gain rank anyway. You should have some bargaining chips by then."

He offered Esther a smile. "Unless you want to specialize in unarmed combat and punch your way through a few dungeons?"

Lycan laughed at his own joke, probably losing the humor on the pacifist acquaintance. 

Lycan's eyes danced over the field, and Esther followed his gaze, watching as the people she had spent her time in SAO with worked. She smiled. It was teamwork, genuine teamwork. No fights, no arguments. Everyone had a job, a job they knew they had to do - they each relied on each other, how is that so simple here, but so much harder on the higher floors? She tilted her head back to Lycan, "I supooose I can forgive you then." She said in a sing-song voice. The matter had been over in her mind, but she let Lycan further explain his intention with his words. It was an interesting insight - and she was glad to hear it. "You're a good person Lycan." She mused. To her, it didn't take much to be a good person. A smile here, a kind gesture there, but her words held such a powerful innocence to them, spoken with such genuine intentions - it was difficult to brush off a compliment from her.

"You're an Alchemist too! Oh, gosh! I'm lucky." Esther beamed. "We can hopefully help each other out then. I hope I won't be encroaching on your territory." She paused, listening to Lycan's advice. "Ah. This whole profession thing is new to me. I never thought about looking for Alchemic ingredients. Now that I think of it...it seems logical, almost obvious to people who actually play games. Alas...I am not one of them." Esther admitted sheepishly.

She held out her hand to him again, pinky finger extended before giving an exasperated sigh. He didn't link his pinkie with her, there was no promise made. She gently grabbed his hand, her skin was soft, smooth compared to the calloused hands of a fighter. "Here!" She exclaimed, linking her own pinkie around his and giving it an affirming shake. "Now that's how you do it." Esther said proudly as she let go.

"Let' focus on here and now first. I can focus on getting better materials when I actually have the profession to do it for."

Esther couldn’t exactly laugh at the joke Lycan made, she found it somwhat funny, just not funny enough to physically laugh out loud. Esther was honest that way, she wouldn’t force herself to laugh when she didn’t feel the need.

“I think I’d have better luck throwing a shoe than my fists.” She mused.

“So, shall we?”

Startled, he watched as she locked their pinkies together.

'A... Pinkie Promise? I haven't seen one of those in a while...' the teen thought to himself, her touch still warm on his skin after she broke away.

The girl was kind... too kind. He could tell she was genuine, but that worried him more than if the opposite were true. Lycan saw a friendly smile and innocence where others would see prey. Perhaps this is what she meant when heard her mention the "grumpy man"? The teen wondered if perhaps someone else had already lectured her for trusting too easily or worse: tried to get her into the fields for an easy PK.

The grim thoughts spinning through his mind leaked into his expression. He decided not to come out with his concerns, but keep them logged on the back burner as a precaution. He let her remark of throwing her shoe lighten his face with a smile. Not genuine, but enough to hide his thoughts.

"Sure," he replied. "Do me a favor though..."

Lycan flicked his wrist, produced a semi-transparent screen, and navigated its menus until a pop-up appeared in front of Esther.

"Accept the party request. If for whatever reason we get separated, I can track you until you disband the party. I can keep an eye on your HP that way too." He closed out the screen before him and gestured toward the city gate as one might do to guide a guest into their home. His sharp gaze focused on his peripherals, keeping note on the two sides of the archway. If anyone was going to make a move on the girl, he wanted to see it coming before it was too late.

"After you. Herbs should be on the right if memory recalls. Do a search check for ingredients and let me know if anything turns up."

Spoiler

Aight, so the way I like to work these little gathering ventures is a wee bit unique. Roll your die. The LD will dictate if you find any mats. However, if you roll a 1 or a 10 on the mob die, a monster/enemy spawns in. That turn only means it spawns in, but it will not attack so there's no worries if you roll a 10. So long as I handle the combat, you shouldn't pull aggro.

ID:66854  LD: 19

Esther noticed Lycan's expression drop. It was only for a moment, but it was enough for her to see - and it was enough for her to question it. Her shoulders drooped, Esther knew her attitude bothered people, and thought that maybe it was bothering Lycan now. "You know..." She said quietly, averting her gaze. "If this bothers you - you don't have t-"

Esther blinked, her words interrupted by a notification. It was a party request. Esther had never formed a party before, and felt relieved to hear Lycan explain how the party system worked to her. Esther looked from the screen back to Lycan. She gave him an earnest smile, as she accepted the party request. Two dots appeared next to each other in the top corner of her vision, above the small square map. "Oh!" Esther exclaimed in shock, pointing up at them. "Is that us? The two dots next to each other? That's kind of cute." She exclaimed cheerily. It appeared her wavering thoughts had washed away Lycan's offer of a party. "That's really handy...I should use this when I take the children out the city to the fields." 

Lycan gestured toward the town exit, guiding her to the right. Esther passed Lycan, and headed out of town, toward the right - she glanced back to see if he was following her; the familiar sight of his white hair and brilliant red outfit reassured her. It wasn't as though Esther hadn't left the town before, it was the idea of doing something new, she had no idea what she was doing, what she was expected to do - and didn't want to look like a complete idiot or accidentally break something.

Sure enough, not too far down, there was a patch of herbs. "Is this it?" Esther pointed toward them, instead of waiting for an answer she knelt down to inspect them. she found an option that hadn't been there before, chances are - it was because she didn't have a quest or profession activated.

She highlighted it, and the option to search for ingredients came up. The plant seemed to almost glow, as though it were harvestable, "This is so strange." She mused, reaching out to pull it up. Lo and behold, she was successful. Esthers face lit up in a sort of innocent joy. "Hey! I did it. That was easy!" She laughed, "I was so worried I would screw something up."

Materials Gathered: 1/5

Edited by Esther

ID# 67001: -- BD: 8 -- CD: 4 -- LD: 1 -- MD: 10 --

'Good,' Lycan mentally noted  as Esther breached the fields unscathed. The boy let his nerves settle slightly as he followed her to the Gardens. As an extra caution, or touch of paronoia, the youth scanned the immediate area. His eyes lit a faint hue of green, activating Cardinal's assisted search function.

Fortunately, all seemed well and the girl hadn't been set up. With a deep breath, he turned to Esther as she remarked about the herbs.

"You should see a pop up after harvesting - Just a small countdown timer with an accept or decline. Hit accept, that'll replant the resource for another harvest cycle. You won't be able to harvest it again today, but it'll keep the gardens stocked for the next group. Every once in a while people forget or some PKer type will wipe out the crops in a midnight run. So, every little bit helps."

The platinum teen nodded, making his way to his previous perch. On the way, Cardinal had other things in mind when a pillar of blue light opened just paces from the harvesters.

'Damn it!' Lycan swore internally. His hand instinctively shot to the hilt of his longsword and produced its honed edge in one swift movement.

"No one move!" the swordsman commanded. The woman from earlier quickly reached out to her two children and pulled them in close. As she did, the column of light took form and the bristled silohette of a boar took form. About half a man tall and with tusks long as a forearm, the beast materialized with a snort and a squeal.

Boar: 4/4 HP -- 10 DMG -- MIT 0 --

Lycan immediately rooted his stance and brought Harbinger to his side. The initial movement complete, his blade began to hum with Cardinal's skill assisting system. With a tension in his arms, Lycan suddenly relaxed and his body lunged forward. His sword sung from earth to sky, thudding soundly against the broadside of the boar. It loosed a squeal cut short by digital distortion before it swelled and burst into pixelated ash.

Lycan held Harbinger at its apex as the hum of Cardinal's system faded from its length. The boy inhaled and exhaled deeply before breaking stance and returning his weapon to its sheath.

"Close one," he commented, turning to Esther and the others in the fields. Lycan made his way over Esther and took a kneel.

"Hmm... You did good! Let's see what else we can harvest," he added with a smile.

ID:67022 LD: 3= FAIL

Esther watched, as Lycan bounded off to take care of a mob that had just spawned. It was amazing, how quick to react he was, it had barely appeared before he was on top of it, and had wiped it out. "That's amazing..." Esther breathed. She hadn't seen anything like it, even from Arc - who struggled against a boar. Lycan must have been much stronger than he looked. 

The Lilac haired girl turned her attention downward again, remembering his words. She did as he said, and replanted the resource for another. Luckily, there were a few harvest-able spots in this one patch of herbs. "So I guess...I just keep going....?" Esther asked herself, she tried to harvest another herb - but a fail message popped up. Esther sighed, "Dang...guess I don't deserve such read praise from him just yet..." She muttered, despite her words - Esther was determined not to give up.

Esther glanced up at Lycan as he returned, beaming up at him. "That was amazing what you did there. You just jumped on in, the boar barely had time to spawn. It's like you had a tell, and knew just before it appeared. I would have missed something like that." Esther said as she laughed. She glanced down at the herbs, again replacing them just as he had told her. Her voice queitened, as she spoke in tone filled with revered respect. "You are really something..." She said as she allowed her hands to dance delicately over the herbs. "I feel completely safe wth you around."

Edited by Esther

ID# 67023: -- BD: 8 -- CD: 2 -- LD: 9 Fail -- MD: 9 No Spawn --

Her compliments didn't suit the boy. He knew the boar was one of the weaker field mobs that spawned here. Were the beast of any merit, a loot pop up would have announced its defeat. Then again, it wouldn't have been felled in a single blow either. Unfortunately, the creatures that spawned here were too weak for Lycan's current level, but only marginally. Occasionally, a mini field boss would spawn in and give him a struggle for his time. For the safety of those just outside the wall, the teen hoped that wouldn't happen.

"Heh, thanks," Lycan responded with a faint hue on his cheeks. "I was just lucky. Sometimes it doesn't go so well and... Well, I'm glad it went well. Let's just put it that way..."

He watched Esther try another plant, this time with less fortune than the first.

"No such luck," commented Lycan, "Let me see if I can help you out."

The teen shuffled his weight one plant over and reached out a finger to it. With a faint tap, a window produced in front of him displaying the object's information. At the bottom, a small timer counted down from a mixture of hours, minutes, and seconds. The teen scrunched his face in disapproval.

"This one's not going to be ready for a while," he muttered, shuffling over to the next.

As he repeated the steps for the first, the teen turned to Esther with a raised brow.

"Hey," he began, "If you don't mind me asking, what's stopping you from picking a starter weapon? I mean..." Lycan looked down, trying to find the right words. "You said you're a pacifist, but the monsters out here aren't really living creatures. You kill one and in a few days, they just re-spawn... Like these plants."

He gestured to the herbs, vegetables, and fruits which sprouted from the rows of tilled soil.

"Even if you dislike violence, it wouldn't hurt to learn the basics. Just for self defense."

His amber eyes focused on her rolling lilac locks, petite frame, and gentle hands.

"I'm sure you know, but this place isn't very forgiving. I don't want to wake up one morning to see your name lined out on the Monument..."

The thought and words carried weight. He knew that even bringing up the idea of one's name on the monument to be taboo. Still, he couldn't help but to feel some form of attachment, even if minor, to the girl. Her genuine kindness was too pure for this place, and given their shallow acquaintance, Lycan knew he wouldn't always be around to protect her.

Suddenly realizing how long he held eye contact, he drifted back to the herbs at his feet and reached out to produce the information window. 

ID:67046  LD:7  =  FAIL

Esther shrugged as Lycan mentioned her luck, "I don't mind. We can't win them all...besides, this is actually really relaxing in a way." Esther said, checking another plant. There weren't many left in this bunch before they would have to move on. It was another failed attempt. Esther gave a dissatisfied grumble, but quickly recovered, as though missing the material didn't really bother her too much.    

Esther looked toward Lycan as he knelt down gently in the grass next to her. Even with his strength in fighting, he was able to handle the plants with such tender motions. It was interesting to see, to have him switch from something like this - to becoming extremely focused and deadly precise in battle, to come away from that battle with nary a scratch or thought, as though it was nothing. "Amazing..." Esther whispered again, truly in awe at the ability of not only Lycan, but other players, who were able to do the same.

Esther blinked as Lycan asked her why she didn't choose a starter weapon. Esther shifted, crawling forward so she could lean her back against the wall. This way, she was able to face Lycan, to be able to talk to him properly.  Esther felt it better to be facing someone when you conversed with them. She enjoyed looking at people, their reactions, their frowns and their smiles. She pulled her knees up to her chest, wrapping her hands loosely around her legs in a comfortable position.

"Hmm..." She pondered the question. "I guess you're right." She mused. "I mean, I don't have a problem watching you - or anyone else fight these creatures, but I have a problem with doing it myself." She gave a wry laugh, as she held out one of her hands, green hues looking at her palm. "I know it wouldn't hurt to learn the basics. That's part of the issue I have. Gaming is all so new to me. Looking for Materials.....gaining Esss Peeh....classes, mods, it all just doesn't make sense to me. I only really joined to see old friends, who had bought me a copy. We thought it'd be a fun way to catch up...if we couldn't go out for a coffee together in the real world, why not do it in a virtual one? Especially one that promised you'd be able to taste the coffee." She clenched then unclenched her hand. "Imagine that...tasting coffee...I wonder if they're somewhere on the higher floors doing just that now?"

Esther stared at her hand for another few silent minutes, every so often her thoughts would travel back to those friends, how everyone seemed to panic and run in every which way when the news was announced. How she was left standing there, alone and confused, how she, noticed the crying kids and instantly went to look after them rather than look for her friends. Esther knew it was the right thing to do, even  if she wished to see her friends again. "I think, it's also - because its how I feel, on a personal level..." She began, applying the memory of that day to the current question. "I know its silly, but - its how I feel. I feel like I don't want to fight, even virtual monsters. To me, it just doesn't feel right - why should I change who I am? Why should I need to change my core beliefs?"

Lycan mentioned the monument, and Esther's eyes glanced up to meet his. She didn't see it as taboo to mention it, such a thing was something Esther didn't understand. Much like mentioning your real name, its something Esther didn't see the bad in. The woman smiled at the silver haired boy, pressing her head against the wall. "I'm ok with who I am. I know there are other skills I can get to help. Like healing, and damage stopping stuff...it's why I am out here now, with you. I am going to slowly improve myself, but I am going to do it my way."

Edited by Esther

ID# 67052: // BD: 2 // CD: 10 // LD: 18 Success // MD: 4 No Spawn // 

'My way...' he mentally turned over. Those words stuck for some reason.

"Hmm..." Lycan grumbled, letting his thoughts drift.

Her mentions of friends and something so simple of coffee brought him back to earth - the real earth. The other side seemed like a dream now. Granted, this place lacked physical pain, but all other feelings, emotions, and senses were real. So were friends, but Lycan couldn't truly identify with Esther there. He had plenty of acquaintances, but rarely the opportunity to call someone a true friend. With SAO, he dove into the foreign world alone, isolated from the faces of the surface world. Here, he saw SAO as a new world and only now did he truly spend some time recollecting the smiles and memories of the other side.

"So you're alone," he blurted, moreso out of vocalized thought than active conversation. "And you're okay with that... Even here."

His gaze listed to the leafy greens of the herbs in front of him. The false sun, shining from the ceiling of the floor above, reflected on the waxy leaves and intricate veins hidden beneath the surface. The earthy aroma of churned soil rose up from the ground on warm waves of heat. He reached out and held the plant between his fingers and pulled it from the earth as roots struggle to keep the plant bound and secure. Then, the jarring forth wall of SAO produced a window in front of Lycan.

<< +1 Herb >>

"Here." Lycan held out the herb to Esther, waiting for her to take it.

"I admire you." The statement jutted in from left field, completely ajar from the mood of the conversation. Coupled with the plant in his hand hanging like a sad bouquet of flowers, it almost looked to onlookers as a half-assed confession of love.

"It takes real strength to keep to yourself unchanged by all this. Even when your friends, who joined this game with you, have moved on with trying to escape, you're sitting here; pursuing your own way. That's admirable. Maybe a little foolish, but very..."

He halted for the word.

"... pure."

He didn't smile. Lycan remained flat, reflecting on life before the catastrophe. Jax Pearson, his name in the real world sounded like some alter ego of the past. The Jax then seemed a stranger to the Jax now. That Jax wouldn't be doing any of this. He'd be wrapped up in some mundane hobby, lost in his own world than sitting here, helping a stranger. He generally avoided girls to begin with for his lack of confidence in the presence of a pretty smile. Yet here he sat, handing one such girl an uprooted plant and openly conversing without regard for being judged or rejected.

'Things sure have changed... At least for me...' he reflected.

ID:67053  LD:   =18 = SUCCESS

"Alone?" The word felt foreign as it fell from her lips. "Mmm...I do miss my friends... I've felt lonely sometimes. Especially at night or the mornings when its just me, but I'm not alone. I mean..." She gestured around her. "Look, there are so many people around.  Generally...I am always able to have at least a small conversation with others, then there are the children I look after sometimes." Esther's eyes lit up as she started talking about them, getting side tracked. "There's these twins, Jamie and Ryan, little ginger kids with faces full of freckles, they always argue with each other, but also always have each others backs and won't let anyone else tease them. Then there is Brittany, she's adorable, she's a little shy. She used to be more outspoken, and was always with Evelyn, but since Evelyn went missing - she's been a little silent, still - she is so sweet and kind." Esther realized she was rambling, and blushed.

"Ah...ahaha...." She laughed. "I guess, my point is - even though I don't really talk to many people for great lengths... I'm not alone, I have all those lovely people, the children, I even have fun talking to grumpy pants, then there are wonderfully kind and amazing people like you, Lycan. I think you're a really nice friend. So how can I be alone, when I have all that?" She asked, green eyes burning with such fevor and intensity toward the silver haired youths fierey orange eyes. as she explained her feelings on the matter. Esther did feel lonely at times, many people didn't want to talk to her, even going as far as to call her 'that crazy happy lady' or to throw insults of 'what does she have to be so happy about?' Esther heard them, even now - but it didn't bother her, how could it? How could it when there were people who were so ready to help others?

Esther took the herb, "Really? Are you sure? I don't mind doing it myself...you're a really good teacher..." Even as she said this, she accepted the offer from Lycan. Giving him a curious look as he said he admired her, Esther's smile faded, ever so slightly at his words. "I'm not...unaffected..." She began. "I just..want to push on, I know they'll be waiting for me when we all get out of here." Esther wasn't sure on what he meant by pure, she pursed her lips as her brows continued to furrow in a mild confusion.  "Mmm...I'm not pure, I'm just Esther - Just Phoebe. Just me. As long as I have that, I know I'll be ok."

Esther's gaze drifted from Lycans as his fell to the herbs in front of him. "Oh! Right! Materials, I get so side tracked sometimes...I'm sorry." Esther gushed as she tried to harvest them again. "AHA!" She proclaimed in triumphant delight, turning to Lycan, beaming with confidence. "I did it that time! I guess our luck is changing huh!?

Materials: 3/5

Edited by Esther

ID# 67057: // BD: 5 // CD: 7 // LD: 1 FAIL // MD: 5 No Spawn //

Lycan listened as Esther painted her point. She talked so effortlessly and with an aura of positive confidence - a true gentle soul.

"I guess you have a good point." The swordsman's features washed over with a smile and a nod. "Never thought of it that way."

His mind hung on her mentioning him as a friend. So fresh into their interaction, he tried to over-analyze the meaning. Did she truly bridge the gap of acquaintance to friend so quickly or was she speaking in general terms? The teen tried to skirt the thought before it wore a groove in his mind. He looked toward the others in the field. They talked among one another, shared information, and smiled. Even with boars posing a near imminent threat to their lives, they carried on as people. SAO was a community, although broken and chaotic, but they all were the same.

"Sounds like you've grown fond of the kids," commented the teen as he turned toward the next herb in line. "Guess neither of us are alone, you moreso than me."

Lycan chuckled, but the gravity of the statement went deeper. By the sounds of it, Esther had quite the foundation of people close to her. Even if they were just children, she had purpose to another. Reflecting on this, Lycan realized his current situation still reflected his life outside the game. While his personality and morals may have been skewed by recent events, he still found himself surrounded my acquaintances. He racked his mind for one person - one player - he could identify as a true friend. Only Axios, the Information Broker, came to mind, but their relationship was hardly a friendship. The two of them were reliant on one another in more of a business sense. He owed Lycan a favor and the teen reciprocated his free information with reporting any new discoveries.

In a sense, Lycan dawned on the realization, he was far more alone than the woman opposite him.

"I don't mind," he stated in reference to the herb and to deter his mind from delving any deeper. "I still have a small storage of materials at my stand. Plus, I'm trying to push myself to join the others at the front of the pack. It leaves little time for my profession."

Last of the batch, he reached for the plant but pulled his hand back. Lighter green and shorter than the rest, Lycan knew it was still in its infancy. Nothing worth harvest would come from an attempt at the plant.

"Looks like we're running out of herbs in this section." The teen stood, brushing his attire free of stray soil even though Cardinal wasn't quite that advanced in detail.

Though he tried to refrain from thinking too much on the intricacies of his situation and those of Sword Art Online, he still hung on her words. He looked out to the fields with an empty gaze.

"Well, we can try looking for ingredients deeper in the woods or by the pond a few kilometers to the north..." he droned. "There's also another Garden on the opposite side of town..."

His droning became a mumble, distracted by his inner reflections.

"We could try to get some boar's blood..."

A spark hit him and he turned toward Esther. His expression matched one of curiosity mixed with a dash of juvenile embarrassment. The old Jax would be stuttering over himself, but he felt oddly at ease.

"When we're done with this, what do you say about grabbing that cup of coffee?" he blurted, extending a hand to help her up.

Esther nodded when Lycan made the comment that she was close to the kids. "I do, I mean...I am. I don't get the chance to talk to many people like this, like you and I are talking." Esther shrugged, turning her gaze to look at the field of people before them. "I'm not exactly likable, I get it - I'm too happy, but I can't deny who I am. The kids, they don't judge you, they just want to be around you, and to laugh and to enjoy the company of others. It's nice being needed that way." Esther paused, realizing that her words may have sounded a little upsetting, so she added in a series of hurried words. "I mean..I still stand by what I said. I don't feel lonely. It's just nice talking to someone who doesn't try to throw you into a wall, or still think that the word bum is a bad word." 

Esther noticed the drop in the atmosphere between the two. "Are you ok? did you want to take a break?" She asked. Esther may have noticed the sudden and slight drop in his attitude, but she didn't get the cue as to why. Esther wasn't always the sharpest tool in the shed. She just saw things as they were, and that's how she took them, and reacted to them. Lycan quickly changed the subject, having exhausted their attempts at harvesting any more materials. 

Lycan offered his hand, and Esther clasped it, heaving herself up. "hup!" She dusted herself off. Offering him a smile. "Honestly, you're the leader today Lycan~" She mused. "So I'll go wherever you go." She paused, he seemed to ramble off, not finishing his sentences, and he seemed disinterested. Was he getting bored with her? Or were there other things on his mind? Esther reached out, placing a hand on his shoulder, offering him a comforting squeeze, "are you sure you're al-"

She was interrupted as Lycan quickly spun round to face her, new found energy and excitement in not only his voice, but his mannerisms. He asked for a cup of coffee. Esther stared at him in mild disbelief. He...asked for a cup of coffee?  "A cup of coffee?" Esther asked, suddenly bursting into laughter. "That's all?" She didn't mean to laugh at him, and her words, spoken between giggles, hopefully would shed light on her sudden outburst. "Oh....Oh Lycan..." More laughter. "I was worried something was really wrong! And you want coffee!?" She laughed and shook her head in disbelief at her own silly insecurities. "Of course we can."

Her response elicited laughter from the teen. He shook his head to work the warmth from his cheeks.

"Yeah," he began with a deep breath. "No, I'm fine. Just... You have a way of opening eyes. I'm just here teaching you how to get started as an Alchemist and you're teaching me how look at our situation from a different angle."

He nodded to the girl with a grin.

"Not a fair exchange of goods if you ask me."

The teen shook his darker train of thought. Instead, he focused on the now. Perhaps in this gentle soul, he could find a friend - a true friend.

"Anyway," he continued, looking outwardly to the treeline. "Coffee can wait until we get you set up as an Alchemist. Let's head for the treeline. It'll be risky, but I should be able to keep you covered."

He turned to Esther.

"We can check the wild fauna for ingredients like moss, mushrooms, or rare herbs. There's enough people in the fields between here and there should be get into a pinch. What do you say? Up for it?"

The two shared moments of laughter, earnest- jovial uncontrollable laughter. Onlookers would click their tongues and tut, claiming the two to have gone absolutely mad, driven insane by the hardships of Aincrad. If they had bothered to stop, and chat with the two- maybe they'd realize that the laughter that Esther and Lycan shared, was nothing short of delight. 

The two calmed down and again, Lycan had such an odd thing to say. "Opening eyes...?" She was going to question him further but Lycan saved her the breath, at least partly so. Esther wondered how she managed to open his eyes, to see a situation from a different angle. "How do I do that?" She asked, as always, curiosity got the better of her. "How is it not fair? I am not even meaning to do that, it doesn't require any effort on my part, but you're going out of your way to help me." Esther gave a small gasp, "Oh! Unless you mean you want more in return? I can pay for your coffee if you like?" Lycan shook his head, and Esther assumed it was aimed at her question.

Lycan turned to the treeline, and Esther followed his gaze. "That sounds like a plan to me. I don't think it'd be risky." she mused, turning to Lycan with a smile. "Not with you around. C'mon." Esther took a few brazen steps forward, "We got a few cups of coffee with our names on them!"

"Yeah, opening eyes," reiterated the boy as he began to make way toward the forest and across the plains. "I've been so obsessed with getting stronger, and leveling up so I could help people out. I sort of lost track about the other ways I can help."

He turned to the girl who walked beside him, taking just a moment to appreciate the courage needed to walk the fields, weaponless.

"And you know. I'm not the best with other people, so I usually go it alone. Guess I'm never really alone though - the way you phrased it."

The sounds of others fighting the wild boars around them and the muted conversations they shared came into focus. Granted, the first floor was the heaviest populated, but the struggle here translated everywhere. No matter where Lycan was, alone or otherwise, everyone was fighting beside him in their own way.

"So of course its not a fair trade of goods. You've given me invaluable insight, and all I'm giving you is some protection." A thought jarred Lycan's attention from Esther. He stopped his pace and glanced back toward the Perimeter Gardens. "Speaking of..."

To his relief, Lycan notice a small group of armored players conversing with the civilians working the fields. Their matching plate and generic weapons were trademark of the Aincrad Liberation Force, or ALF. Originally a clearing guild, many of their members settled to the Town of Beginnings as a policing force when they failed to keep pace with the front lines.

"Good," Lycan commented with a sense of ease. He turned back to Esther as they continued onward, nearing the treeline. "And I don't need more in return. I got coffee, so don't worry about that either. There's more money in combat, so save your coin and get, what were their names? Jamie, Ryan, and Brittany?" He paused, then nodded. "Yeah, get the kids something nice instead."

Lycan smiled and stopped at the forest's edge. He gestured a hand to the ticket of brush, the trunks of fallen timber, the towering aspen, and various other potential sources of materials.

"Here we are," he commented. "Let's see what you can find."