PP-F1: The Innocence that burns

It had been a very tiring, and trying past few days for Esther, she had run into some very interesting people, some nice, and others not so nice. She had managed to learn a plethora of new information, she learnt how to gather materials, and what skills she should try and invest her SP in, she even managed to somehow 'cosy' up to Mari, a troubled yet powerful woman who abandoned the frontlines. Esther was thankful to get a few moments of peace. It was early morning, and few mobs had spawned, they were far enough away to not bother Esther, the sun was just rising above the horizon - bathing the Town of beginings in a brilliant warmth, rivaled by the hues of orange that blanketed the floor. The young woman wandered away from the town to sit in a field of dandelions, she had picked them and started forming little crowns which would serve no real purpose other than to keep her nimble, slender fingers in good practise. Around her neck she still wore the collar Mari had given her, the long thin silver chain had been looped around her neck a few times before being clipped back onto the collar, creating a makeshift chain link necklace, with no Mari to hold onto the chain, it would be cumbersome to have it trail around behind her.

"This is nice." She breathed to herself.

Domarus had finally learned how to sneak past the boar guarding the gate entrance and now wandered the first floor with ease.  With no other players around he did nothing to hide the darkness that resided within him.  Days and weeks pleasing others, smiling and waving, acting so cheerfully to win people over.  And without Keres, his only friend/servant to vent upon all the frustration piled up and was now slowly leeching out as he kicked a large branch as he walked.  His huge size was enough to scare away low level mobs along with his expression.  His two handed battle ax hung on his back but other than this he looked pathetic.  A low level piece of crap that could be defeated easily.  It was his goal to become the most powerful player with multiple followers and servants.  He had already found someone suitable for the role named Arc.  All he needed to do was win him over and manipulate him to his whims.  That was the easy part.  That was so easy for Domarus in fact that it was a piece of cake.  In fact it was second nature.  He had manipulated people so well in the real world they had turned from the rule-following-dog to his personal handy man doing his dirty work.  And he had dirty work for Arc to do once Arc was his.  For now however he needed to get a feel for this world.  He stopped when he spotted a pink haired girl picking dandelions.  Around her neck was...  A collar.  He grinned as he thought of someone owning her like he owns Keres, except he never held her on a leash.  She was bound to him through loyalty and nothing else.  Frustrated from the previous time he decided not to act all 'nicey nice' this time and just walked up as himself.  He didn't appear arrogant as that would never work until he reached a higher level.

"Hello there.  I see you have a collar so where's your master little girl?  Have you run away or is this your 'free time' hour?"

A large shadow fell over Esther, and the place she was sitting, "mmm?" She glanced up to see a very, very tall red-headed man. Her honesty, always getting the best of her, had Esther blurt out. "Holy crap you're tall!" The outburst was no doubt, rude - and if Arc were here, he'd chastise Esther on her honesty. Innocent as she may be, some things were better left unsaid. "I mean..." Esther, having realized her faux paux, tried to remedy the situation. "I gues that's rude of me to say...it's just unexpected." She said with a forced laugh.

The mans crimson eyes flashed down to the object around Esther's neck - and she instinctively touched her fingers to it. Esthers gaze didn't once waver from the fierce gaze of the other man. She didn't feel that this man would harm her, and if she were to be honest - he didn't exactly scare her either. Sure he was tall, and he had a deep, piercing look behind his red eyes - but he also looked to be around the same level as her. Still wearing the starter armor, and harboring, as mighty as it may be, what looked to be a starter weapon. These were all assumptions that Esther had, she wasn't exactly savvy when it came to games, and she wasn't able to ask him - for as she opened her mouth to do so. He grinned. Commenting on her collar.

It was only then, that Esther finally glanced away, feeling a little embarassed at the terminology used. "I uhm. She's not my master exactly...it's an odd situation...I guess you could say she's...mmm...my mentor? My Protector? Something like that..." Esther murmured. "I can go wherever I want really, I think it's just for when I'm in her presence. Oh!"

Esther pushed herself up off the ground, dusting herself off. "I'm so rude. Here." She extended her hand. "My name's Esther, what's yours?"

Domarus cocked an eyebrow as she exclaimed his size.  Wow, way to state the obvious he thought.  He didn't think she was being rude but she did show him just how innocent and pathetic she probably was.  Yet she seemed to know that she had nothing to fear from him.  Seeing the extra gear on her besides starter clothes he realized that somehow this innocent, fragile little girl had made it to a higher level he was.  Perhaps she wasn't as innocent as she'd like him to believe.  Either way at least she wasn't incompetent.  He watched her mess with the collar in a seemingly habit like way before addressing the question.  He fought back the urge to laugh as she called the one who gave her a collar mentor rather than master or protector.  Protector indeed!  This was an interesting catch and Domarus was pleased to have caught her now.  However it was in his experience that the only way to properly teach lessons was to punish those for their stupidity.  This girl seemed to be in desperate need of a few beatings to harden her up and strengthen her.  However he very well knew the unspoken rule between masters.  Never mess with their servant, or in this odd case, apprentice.  He would not lay a hand on her.

"Tsk.  Mentor indeed.  There's no such thing kid.  There is only masters, servants, helpers, and those who can't do anything and are therefore rendered useless.  The idea of a simple teacher is pathetic in itself."  He focused on her as she extended her hand to him, introducing her name.  He fought the urge to narrow his eyes.  Clearly her 'mentor' never taught her how to speak to others when she was such a low class as this.  Still, despite the fact that he wasn't putting on a show of curtesy for this girl, he wouldn't be cruel to her either.  She may be useful if her master and he got on the wrong foot...  Or the other way around where she could be the key to getting her master's submission.  Either way only time would tell.  Sighing he took her hand with force, not strong enough to hurt her, and shook it.

"I'm Domarus kid.  May I ask why you chose Esther and if it means something or if you just thought it sounded cool?"

@Esther

"Star. My name Esther, means star. I picked it for a few reasons. First, I adore the stars, I was studying Astrology at University before this...." She gestured around the two. "Whole mess...the second reason, is I feel that no matter how dark and dreary life is, there is always that teeny, tiny shimmering speck of light. All you need to do is find it." Esther added, that sentence was her down to a T. She felt that no matter what, there was always good in someone, and you could generally, turn a negative situation into a positive one.

Esther's lips turned into a disapproving pout as the man before her laughed off her awkward attempt at  explaining who Mari was to her. "You may not agree, but its how feel. She didn't seem too keen on the idea though," Esther said thoughtfully, "Even though she suggested it, I think it was more of an attempt to push me away- but I've been told I can be annoyingly, stupidly stubborn." Esther grinned, "Guess she got more than she bargained for - still." Esther paused, eyes glancing over the man - he seemed to scoff at her ideals. She wasn't sure what kind of person he was, and it was difficult to get a read on him, he hadn't directly insulted her thus far, but his words about Mari rubbed her the wrong way. "I wouldn't say that to her face though. From what  I can tell, Mari is pretty strong, a friend told me that she practically solo'd a floor boss. I'm thankful someone like that even puts up with me."

The man introduced himself as Domarus, and despite knowing her name, continued to use the term kid. Even though, from his facial features and voice, Esther would place him at most 3-4 years older than her. Esther didn't have youthful features, so Domarus was either using it as a term of endearment, or as a way to place her below him. Esther wasn't going to dwell on something as small as that. He went on about the categories of people he believed existed in the world. Masters, Servants, helpers... and people who couldn't do anything. "Can't do anything like you right now?" She asked, it came out - like word vomit, without her ever meaning to say. "Oh gosh! I mean...no not like that... I mean..." she scrambled, trying to save face. Here she was, annoyed of the way he spoke about Mari - and she was being just as rude to him, if not more so. "I mean....you wanna get stronger right? I don't see many people leave the Town these days is all..." She glanced away. Feeling guilty at her faux paux. "I'm sorry Domarus."

Domarus was hearing Esther talk about how she saw the world as there was always a spark of hope, of light, of goodness in everyone.  Domarus agreed to some extent.  Except he used that goodness to further his goals.  He knew how to trigger certain strings in other's hearts and minds to either guilt them or make them believe he was right.  He wasn't a master manipulator for nothing.  He said nothing on the matter though.  She had enough of his personal beliefs today and he vowed never to open up like that again.  It was time to try softening up again, butter her up.  He sighed, changing his mind about replying.

"I suppose you're right to a point.  Everyone has a tiny bit of goodness don't they?  The question is that are they stupid with that goodness by doing more than their capable of?  Or do they only accomplish a little at a time?"  He listened as she told him that her mistress, Mari, didn't actually want her along and had tried to push her away but that she felt obligated to keep her word.  Oh, so she's one of those?  As she continued though Domarus became very interested indeed.  A full boss by herself eh?  In that case he would definitely like to meet her at some point...  In the future of course.  If he were to though, he'd need to make sure he was on this girl's good side.  He figured that if he made her his friend, this Mari character would be a bit friendly to him.  Perhaps if he saw the girl in a life threatening situation and saved her...  It was cliche but it worked from time to time.  Or perhaps he would need to higher a pker to set up the scenario and they fling beliefs back and forth.  He mentally shook his head as he would need more time to figure out what to do.  Either way this was an opportunity he could not simply pass off.  Especially if she was as strong as this girl says she was.  If this Mari figure decided that he needed to be taken out after he rose with his followers, she would be a definite threat.

"Sounds like you have it perfectly then.  If you really do like having a collar on and you like this 'Mari' character, and she's able to protect you, then what else do you need?  I mean you could try gaining a few friends besides her.  It's never a good idea to have just one.  The more the merrier right?"  This of course, was a lie and he knew it.  He only had one real friend.  All others were followers or servants.  But he needed her good side so he decided to lighten up and be a bit cheerful.  This suddenly became extremely difficult as she basically insulted him to his face.  After she apologized he used all his strength to keep his body loose and sighed.

"In the first town I watched as there were thousands of players who did nothing but wallow in their despair.  Those players can't do anything.  I'm different.  I'm ready to take on challenges, but neither am I stupid.  And despite that I may be a bit proud from time to time I'm smart enough to tell when someone knows something I don't.  How about you show me how to search for materials?  I heard those could be used as currency and I need equipment soon."

@Esther

Domarus gave a deep sigh, and Esther wondered if she had said something else to bother him. He seemed to change his attitude as his smile grew wide, agreeing with her. He asked if people were stupid with the goodness inside, and if Esther was honest - the question confused her. What did he mean? Did he feel that people took on more than they could handle? Or took on too little. "I think, as long as people try their best." She finally said, it was a safe answer, and she hoped it was one that would satisfy his musings on that particular matter.

He switched topics, back to her wearing a collar - specifically, Mari's collar. Esther had to avert her gaze as he mentioned her liking wearing it. He was right, she loved the feel of it around her neck, she wasn't exactly a leader, she was steadfast in her own ideals, but she was content in following and helping others along in her own way too. Domarus suggested that she should have more friends, and Esther's brows furrowed. She tried, she tried to have more friends. "I guess I have a few..." She murmured. Arc....could she call him a friend? She wasn't sure, then there was Lycan and Lowenthal - both were incredibly friendly toward her. "I think I'm a hard pill to swallow sometimes. I say things I shouldn't." 

She looked back up at him, he seemed to struggle for a moment. "I don't mind." The innocent girl said, "you have a right to react in an angry way at what I said. I'd rather you do what you feel, you don't have to bottle things up. Or offer smiles, or anything of the sort. If we have different views, that's ok too." She thought about Arc as she said those words. Domarus didn't seem like the type of person to just let something slide - but, she could also be very wrong in her assumption. "You don't have to do that." She said, nodding her head in his direction. I think it's less exhausting if we just be ourselves."

Esther blinked, as Domarus asked for her help. "Y-you want my help with gathering materials?" She asked, a little shocked.  "I'm uhm....not very good at that, I've only just learnt myself - but if you're happy for me to teach you, I can." Esther gave a small laugh, trying to break the ice between the two - if you're ok the idea of a 'pathetic teacher' like me that is." 

Domarus nodded when she gave her opinion.  He had to admit it was an ok answer, but still too innocent and naive to the way things actually worked.  Then she began to mutter something about how she had a few but he could see the obvious doubt in her eye.  Her next comment confirmed it.  She didn't actually have friends.  Her personality was just too much for others.  He nodded, completely understanding but saw this as another step towards his goal.  He shrugged.

"Nothing you say can actually bother me.  I grew up believing that anything that wasn't the truth should be ignored.  If people threw insults at me I accepted it as that meant I was progressing in life.  You can't move forward without enemies.  You can't befriend everyone.  So nobody should.  Get your own group and stick to that.  Though it is good to reach out every now and then."  Every bit was true in his mind, but the last bit had more depth than he gave.  He wasn't going to just go out and say 'Yeah I manipulate people to do what I want' like this.  He doubted he'd ever confess that little bit to her at all.  But the bit he did share opened up the door saying:  hey I'm open to be your friend just say yes.  If this door didn't work he'd have multiple doors open.  they were all indirect ways of reaching out to her as it would be weird and awkward to just directly say can we be friends when they just met.  Sure she was probably naive enough to believe him and accept, but he was worried about this Mari character and what she would do or say if she found out.  It wasn't time yet.  He listened as she told him he didn't need to wear a mask and he was completely shocked.  This was the second time in his life someone had seen through his mask and shield.  He wasn't at all happy about it and he hoped that it wouldn't happen again.  He shrugged.

"If you truly don't mind at all then I won't hold back."  Oh he'd be holding back.  She may say that she could take him but she hadn't seen his full personality.  It was true he believed that he should be the king of this world when he became strong enough, and he would be.  He'd have many followers, servants bending to his will, mercenaries and possibly even warriors to carry out his deeds.  All would bend to his will, just as they had in his school.  However it wasn't time yet.  And he was a patient man.

"Well yeah I want your help.  I literally don't know a single thing about gathering anything.  I had others to do that for me in the past, I never actually did it myself.  So I figured it's time to learn and it seems you at least know the basics so why not?"

@Esther

Domarus had wise words to say on the matter of friendship. His words made her feel a little better about herself. She knew that not everyone had to like her, nor she had to like everyone, still, with the recent events that had occurred - it was comforting to hear it from another persons mouth. "Thanks." She said in complete earnest. "I think I needed to hear those words. Admittedly, things have been a little rough lately, not just for me. Seems Mari has a lot of people afraid of her, and a lot of enemies. I'm hoping to help her do just that. Reach out to people again, and it warms my heart that I think she's slowly doing that to me." Esther giggled, craning her neck to look up at the red headed man. "I'd hope at least we can be friends." She added, doing just as he suggested, reaching out to him. Of course, even without his words - Esther was the kind of person to offer her friendship to anyone. It was naive, and foolish - but it was in her nature.

When Domarus said that he wouldn't hold back, Esther's smile grew. "That's better." To her, that was the end of the discussion - she wouldn't have noticed he was feigning his cheery attitude if it weren't for how he initially approached her, Esther had to assume that his initial approach was how he usually was, and she thought she had guessed right.

Esther grabbed hold of Domarus' hand, her soft delicate fingers entwining over his- pulling him in the direction back toward the Town of Beginnings. "Well, let's get to gathering then." After pulling him in the right direction she let go, allowing him to walk at his own pace- keeping in mind what Arc said about how people didn't like to be touched. She started to walk beside him, pointing out a small patch of herbs - the same ones Lycan had shown her. "They're good for collecting, especially basic materials when - oh wait." Esther felt stupid. The herbs were for cooking, or Alchemy. She wasn't sure what kind of profession he had. 

"I'm so stupid..ugh...That's for Alchemy and Cooking professions, I didn't think to ask what profession you were, or what one you wanted?" Esther scratched her cheek. "mmm...I guess it doesn't matter if I'm just showing you how to collect them."

I

Domarus was legitimately surprised that she had accepted his words, and even thanked her for them.  He smiled outwardly but grinned inwardly.  This girl welcomed him in so easily.  She was going to be easy to manipulate when the time came.  However even if it would be easy he should probably avoid doing so due to this Mari owning her.  Still....  He truly only had one friend but that was only because she craved his cruelty and his punishments.  She was an unusual case and he was lucky to have run into her.  They went together perfectly.  He pulled up his menu and traveled to the friend request section.

"If you really want me as a friend I don't see why not.  I'm a little short on friends here as well."  Afterwards he was shocked that the little girl would just grab his hand and begin to lead him away.  As she did so he couldn't help but smile at the irony as well as the humor that the girl with the collar and chain leash was leading the towering man who planned on ruling this world.  It would definitely be a humorous story...  If he ever actually wanted to share it.  Perhaps with Mari if she enjoyed this sort of humor.  The girl began to point out different plants that would be useful and then suddenly exclaimed how she was stupid and asked what his profession was.  Profession?  He thought back to when he had pinned a player in an alleyway to squeeze information out of him before the announcement had been made.  He asked for anything he knew about this world and everything in it.  Lucky for him the player had a friend who knew what he was doing and had told him a few things.  The information Domarus received was mainly about professions and what types there were.  The realization finally hit him as he realized what materials were for.

"So all we do is search for usable materials?  Anything that could be used by the profession uses?  And I don't have a profession.  I suppose I'll shoot for what people need but don't have and become filthy rich that way.  I heard something about minimal active artisans so I might go for that.  Not sure what they do however."

ID:67203  LD: 12 = FAIL

The friend request popped up on her screen, and Esther was all too ready and happy to accept. "Then I'll be sure to follow you around~" Esther joked, "I have a habbit of doing that with people. I guess doing it to one more won't hurt right?" Esther took Domarus at face value, to her - he seemed a little rough around the edges, but he was much more pleasant company than Arc- or god forbid, Arc and Mari together. Esther saw the fiendish man smile, and took that as him feeling happy. She took pride, and joy in knowing that there were still people who were able to be so exuberant.

"Yeh, if you don't have a profession I think you can use the as currency, Mari told me that most shops take Col or Materials. Mari must be loaded... Esther mused. "I visited her earlier, and she just dumped 10,000 Col on me before..ahaha." Esther blushed, placing a hand on her cheek. "Before telling me to piss off. It's funny, even when she's angry she's so nice. I don't get why everyone fears and hates her...." Esther trailed off, thoughts drifting back to Mari.

Esther's attention snapped back to where she was now, as her current companion asked her more questions. "Hmmm...I'm the worst person to ask for information, I know very little of gaming, this is my first actual game since those arcade games. Too busy studying to play, but I'm getting off topic here." Esther waved her hand, dismissing her own ramblings, as she continued to where the patch of herbs were. "I don't know much about other professions...I think tailors are also pretty scarce, I had a bit of trouble finding one to make my collar. Still, I guess Artisans are even rarer - I didn't see any. I know there are a few Alchemists around. Each one seems to have found their niche."

Esther knelt down on the ground, and patted the lush grass next to her, signalling for Domarus to join her. "I think you'd like Mari's shop. She seems to have a habit of testing the games capabilities on the mind. She's made all these things...mmm Truth Serum, which I sorta...drank...there is this one that is like an addictive substance..." Esther trailed off, trying to think of the others. "There was even one that was called murderous intent - apparently it makes you really angry? I'm not sure..." 

Esther glanced down at the herbs, "Ok so with most materials, you can find them in places like herbs, gardens, rocks, bark, trees, and so on and so forth." The woman lightly touched the plant, attempting to pluck it. "A menu will come up, and you are then able to try and harvest it." She attempted to do so herself, and only just failed, the stem snapped just as she pulled away.

"Dangit..."

Edited by Esther

Domarus listened to Esther as she talked about how she loves following others around and grinned at her darkly, and yet at the same time sarcastically.

"Well I'm always up for having another personal servant.  Let me know whenever you want to follow me.  I promise you won't be bored."  He listened as she began to tell him about how materials were indeed used as currency.  When she talked about how Mari dumped coal on her lap he realized that this col was the true currency in the game and most likely used for much more than buying gear.  Either way he had neither of them and could afford nothing.  For now at least.  If he needed to he could beat someone up in hiding with his face concealed until they promised to give him something.  He refused to have nothing and would not stand for it.  He would not stoop so low as to beg from others.  When Esther talked about how Mari could be nice even when she was angry and then continued to talk about how she wondered why Mari was feared by nearly everyone he already knew the answer.  Seeing as how this ignorant girl would take forever to get there he decided to enlighten her.

"You've never seen her fight have you?  From everything you've described about her I can already tell she's a player killer.  I can promise you that when she fights it will appear terrifying to anyone who isn't used to it, or enjoys it.  Not only that but the combination of her attitude toward others, the fact that she murdered someone in cold blood, and that she tries to avoid people seems enough reason for most players to avoid her entirely.  I'm not like other players however.  I don't intend on being intimidated, nor killed by her in any manner.  I'm not about to just waltz up to her and have a friendly chat."  Then she began to talk about Mari's....  Special potions.  The more she listed the more his mouth opened in a malicious grin, widening and showing his teeth in the end.  His expression was dark and he did nothing to hide it.

"Truth serum?  I can definitely use that, most definitely.  It would have to be carefully though, and not too strong or the target would know what was happening.  Not only that but If I'm too suspicious with my questions they'll catch on quickly and I'll lose them.  I'd have to draw them in slowly, which I'm already good at.  This serum would simply be quickening my efforts.  She doesn't happen to have memory loss potions does she?  An addictive potion?  Well well.  That would definitely be effective in keeping followers close to me.  They wouldn't dare leave my side if the potion was made a specific way.  Perhaps she could make my batches unique so that they would need to come to me for them.  Murderous intent?"  This time he didn't say his thoughts out loud.  With this serum my plan to turn Arc into a pker might work.  If I set up a scenario where he thinks he has no choice but to kill a player, if he had this potion, then perhaps he could be driven to the point where he enjoys killing his targets.  He would quickly become my personal assassin.  Oh ho ho ho.  Perfect!  Just Perfect!  This is going better than I thought it would.

"You know what?  I have a few plans that I need to work on and these potions might help me out.  However I'm not sure this Mari would like my plans.  I'd like to get to know her but I don't want to go near her if theres a chance she'll kill me.  Could you restrain her from killing me, even if you aren't around?  I don't intend to meet her until I've gained gear and raised many levels of course, but I'd appreciate the safeguard."

ID: 67204  LD: 6 =FAIL

"Personal servant?" She repeated the phrase, "mmm..." She knew he was just being himself around her - and that it may have just been his attempt at a joke. "I unno, I think waiting on someone hand and foot would bother me." She said a little too honestly. "that would bore me." She turned to him and laughed, "But if hanging out with you is anything like it is now, I don't think I'd be bored. So there is that."

Their material gathering had stopped, as he asked Esther something she hadn't thought about. "No...I haven't..." Esther admitted sheepishly, "I saw her get very angry, placing herself between me and another PKer." Esther hugged herself, rubbing her arms. "That alone was a little scary - but she was doing it to protect me. I think, if others hadn't intervened she might have actually fought him." Esther lowered her gaze. "Cold blood...those people she killed....all of them....I don't think it was cold blood...she told me how it all happened. Even though I begged and pleaded with her not to, she insisted I know what she did."  Esthers hair spilled over her shoulders as she leaned forward, further tilting her head to the ground. Her tone low, "I really wanna help."

Esther took a few deep breaths, choosing to move the conversation to a more lighter tone. She looked up at Domarus to see him grinning from ear to ear, Esther - in her naivety didn't see the malicious glint in his eyes, or the predatory way he stared at her. "I don't know if she has a forgetful potion...Mari could probably make any potion you ask her to. But I don't see why you'd want to use anything like that." Again, he mentioned followers - and Esther started to think that his previous comment about her being his slave wasn't a joke. "Why not gain followers your own way? Why not just grow strong, be a pillar of support, I'm sure you'd have followers that way, and wouldn't need to use such underhanded methods. It sounds like those methods could backfire on you."   He mentioned plans, and wanting to speak to Mari, Esther bit her lip. "Mmm...I honestly don't think she'd kill you - she doesn't seem like the person who would go and do it for no reason, as long as you don't kill anyone in front of her - I think you're good. She seems to not be as bloodthirsty as people assume....if you really want, you could talk to her in her shop. I'll be there every other day too, so I guess I could be floating around but...."

The conversation was getting awkward, and Esther wanted to shift it back to the material gathering, even if just for a moment. "Here..." she grabbed hold of his hand again, carefully bringing it over the herbs, as she leaned over his muscular arm, the chain looped around her neck fell loose, hitting the ground with a gentle thud. Esther told herself she'd fix that in just a moment. "This is what you wanted me to teach you right?"  She showed him the menu options to gather the material, and how to grasp the herb between his fingers but with the both of them - the plant crumbled in his grip.

"Well...that's how you generally do it anyway."

Edited by Esther

Domarus listened as the girl mentioned that she knew exactly what Mari did.  Perhaps he could persuade the truth out of her at some point.  Not now of course, he didn't have nearly as much trust as he needed, but some day.  Perhaps.  When she told him that he would have nothing to fear from Mari he grinned.

"Well then, I'll need to pay her a visit.  Not yet of course, I doubt she'd be at all interested in me without any actual gear.  Perhaps I'll take that quest I heard about.  The one with the armor as a reward.  And I could save up for a decent weapon.  Then maybe I'll go see her.  And I'll definitely be asking what she could make.  I might end up being her number one customer before this is all said and done."  He was a little surprised when she told him that his method was perhaps the best way to go about it.  He laughed softly, enjoying the girl more and more and rubbed the top of her head.

"Ah kid, if only it were that easy.  But no.  If you think followers can be gained this way then your dead wrong.  You say you've only played arcade games right?  Well I hate to disappoint you..  Actually no, you need this.  Almost every guild that I watched grow, fell because they either bickered with each other too much, stabbed each other in the back, or something else.  And guess what?  They all started with the heroic 'we want to help others!' quote.  Bah.  Nobody in this world can stand like that for long.  You either die a so called 'hero' or you survive by doing whatever is necessary.  And don't you worry.  My methods are delicate and I take my time.  I don't think I'll have an issue but I appreciate your input."  He watched the girl attempt to gather something she could use but it crumbled under her grasp.  If that was all it took then he better get started.  He scanned the ground for anything and stopped when he spotted something hidden behind a small bush.  Normally he would miss something as small as this thing was, but it had something that he could relate with.  He pushed the leaves out of the way and saw a single stem with a sort of red gel like pearl.  It glowed softly and pulsed with energy.  Domarus picked up the small object and showed it to Esther.

"Any idea what this is?"

ID#  67206  -><-  LD:  19

@Esther

Edited by Domarus

"I can't speak for her, all I can suggest is go to her shop." Esther mused as Domarus spoke about needing to obtain gear and armor before considering doing anything else. She wanted to help him somehow. "If you want - I'd be more than happy to give you some Col. I've just been handed a whole heap of it, more than I feel I would ever need." Esther offered the devious devil eyed man a warm smile. "I've had so many people help me in the last few days...Lycan helped me with Alchemy, Mari is protecting me...and Lowenthal too...I may not be in a position to help them, but I can keep that little ripple growing outward right?"

Esther didn't think Domarus would use the money for anything other than weapons or armor, she started up a trade with him. Offering him a decent chunk of what she had been given. "This should be plenty. All you need to do is hit the accept button." Esther had no idea about the economy in Aincrad, but 2,000 col seemed like a good amount to get someone started. "And as repayment all I ask for is your company. Oh wait! I already have that!" Esther clasped her hands together, laughing at her own, poor, joke.

Trade:

Esther -2,000 Col
Domarus + 2,000 Col

Domarus turned serious, his eyes hardening - as he disagreed with Esthers world view. He almost seemed...no...he sounded remorseful, that he wasn't able to do it the peaceful way. If he was that remorseful, then he really was a nice person right? His view was a little macabre, but she couldn't fault him for that, Arc had a similar view. "I'm happy just to be on the sidelines honestly.." Esther mused. She offered him a smile as he told her not to worry - reaching out to pat her head. The intense heat from his hand caused a small blush to appear on Esthers cheeks, she laughed it off, brushing his hand away.

He then tried to gather materials, and - on his first attempt. He succeeded. Esther stared at the object in his hand, peering close to look at it. "Huh....I have no idea...looks like one of those weird poisonous plants Mari would use. I've seen similar ones drying upside down in her shop. - Ah, I'm sorry. I keep talking about her don't I?" Esther said, as she leaned back. She hadn't meant to, she didn't really want to push the conversation back to Mari so much, but Mari was one of the few people Esther was able to interact with.

Edited by Esther

Domarus looked at her with a grim smile.  Such an innocent flower.  He was beginning to feel slightly bad about using her this way.  Slightly, but not totally.  This was what was required.  He was beginning to realize that she was winning over his trust almost as fast as he was winning over his.  He almost wanted to tell her the truth of his plans.  But no, he had just met her.  He needed to really get to know her, especially see if she could keep a secret.  He especially needed to be careful if this Mari figure would be against his ideas as well.  He wasn't intending to kill anyone, though he wasn't afraid to if there wasn't another way.  He just wanted to trick others into doing his will, and gaining followers and faithful servants so that none could oppose him.  Suddenly the girl offered a large number of the 'col' he heard about and was honestly surprised by what she was doing.  After her explanation he understood.

"Well that's true.  And I promise that whenever you want some company I'll come over.  I like you Esther, and that doesn't normally happen.  Maybe it's your complete and total innocence, maybe it's the fact that you want my true self.  I don't know what.  Either way I have no problem hanging out with you."  He pressed 'accept' and the col transferred into his account.  He actually had a way to gain some equipment.  Finally.  He of course would start by getting a proper weapon, and he'd go do the quest for armor.  He was hoping to save up for anything he wasn't aware of, not to mention he needed to save up for these 'special' potions Mari made.  He couldn't wait until he met her for the first time but he was also cautious about doing so.  When she talked about how the ingredient might be a poisonous plant he looked at it with bigger interest.  You could poison players in this game?  If he had a powerful poison that could potentially kill a player, he could interrogate them with it, keeping the antidote in hand until they submitted what he wanted to know.  This day just kept getting better and better.  he loved it.  He shook his head at Esther's comment.

"It's no problem.  Don't sweat it."

@Esther

Edited by Domarus

Esther smiled at his offer, brushing hair away from her face. "That's very sweet of you Domarus. Thank you." She glanced away as he gave her further compliments. "Eheh. I don't know if  I have complete and total innocence - I just take what is in front of me at face value. I don't see the need to lie or manipulate my way into or around things, and I trust those around me. I get told I'm too trusting, but - if I were any other way - I wouldn't be good ol Phoebe." She said, using her real name as she beat her fist against her chest. "I'd be a hypocrite if I asked you to be yourself, and I turned around and wasn't myself now, wouldn't I?"

Esther was happy that the man was being more honest with her, he said he was - so she had no reason to deny it were true. He had been thus far, kind and friendly to her, if not at times...being a little ominous with his words. She was easy to impress, and even easier to keep happy - as long as she had an interesting conversation to keep her going - she was content. She watched as the col disappeared from her screen - he had accepted the trade. "Next time I see you, I hope you're in fancy armor." She chided. Domarus told her not to sweat her continued faux paux - and Esther relaxed.

She pushed the chain, now hanging limply on the floor off of the herb garden, turning her attention back to the subject at hand. "Did you need me to show you again, or are you ok with doing it on your own...I guess - its a stupid question, I just watched you do it, but I want to make sure." She looked back up at him, "Or is there anything else you needed help with right now?"

Domarus chuckled at her thank you and hesitated when he heard her talk about how she didn't need manipulation to get into things.  He shook his head.

"No no you don't understand do you.  I don't want to just get followers.  In the long run I-"  He stopped himself realizing he was just about to give away his plans to her.  He shook his head and cursed softly to himself.  How could he be this easily fooled?  Whether it was her intention or not she was persuading him into telling her his plans and he couldn't have that......  But....  While she wasn't good at manipulating she was good at persuading.  He turned to her.

"If you could do me a favor and forget what I just said I'd be grateful.  If not well that's my own stupidity for letting something big of mine slip out so easily.  However I have a request.  If I need information, would you be willing to help me get it?  It would help avoid some, ah, unwanted ways of persuasion.  I'd give you more company and I get to keep my jolly reputation.  Sound fair?"  Bribery, business.  That's what most people were comfortable with.  Even she must know the importance of a fair trade.  If he was able to have her as a possible ally in the area of interrogation then progress would speed up immensely.  No longer would he need to beat someone up or use trickery or deceit as usual.  All he had to do was ask her to fish specific information from the target, send her on her way, and await her return.  It was perfect.  She then said how she was excited to see him in fancy armor.  Fancy armor?

"I was originally seeking a stronger weapon but I suppose I could seek armor first.  Though what I have planned is supposed to be intimidating and I'm not yet at a level for such an arrogant piece.  Maybe in the future but for now I'll stick with the stupid, no good, 'knight in shining armor' type of appearance.  When I'm strong enough to not be bothered however, I'll be sure to take on my true self.  And while I think I can handle it now, I'd like you for company if you don't mind.  My servant got separated and ever since I haven't been able to vent on anyone, therefore it's been a really really stressful week."

@Esther

Domarus was about to say something, saying that she didn't understand. Esther furrowed her brow, mumbling. "Arc says the same thing, all the time." It was an offhanded comment, more so at herself than at Domarus. He asked her to forget what he was about to say, that was hard for Esther to do. She was nosy, she was curious, she wanted to know what he was talking about, and what he was going to say - the whole concept of 'followers' was foreign to her. She fidgeted on the spot. Clearly struggling with the want for more information, and the desire to keep him happy. "Forget what happened?" She said finally with a cheeky grin.

Domarus asked her for a favor, one that Esther didn't fully comprehend or understand. "IF what? you want me to what?" He wanted her to get information? Esther wasn't good at that, at all - what made him think that she'd be able to do much of anything like that. The deal sounded shady. "I don't know....it sounds a little underhanded." Esther admitted. "I can't lie to people, I can't just go up to someone and get information and leave them - it sounds....mmmm...I don't know, a little mean." She rubbed her arm. "Don't get me wrong Domarus - I like you, but I don't think I can do that. It doesn't sit right with me." She said, "If I don't think it suits my beliefs. I won't do something." Esther said, briliant green hues staring straight at Domarus. Esther was a lot of things, air-headed, tactless, naive - but she was also very stubborn. Resilient in her ways. It'd take more than that to have her waver.

The conversation shifted to what he had planned to do with the money. Esther was thankful for that, she had already felt guilty for denying his request - and wanted to somehow make it up to him, or work on a compromise, but she couldn't think of one. "If you want a weapon, get one. It's your Col to do whatever you want with." Esther pointed out. "ARmor, food, healing potions, weapons. I gave it to you. It's yours. Go nuts."  Esther smiled, feeling more and more at ease as the conversation progressed. "I hope your true self shines." She said, assuming that he was going to grow stronger and fight toward the frontlines. 

"If you're ok with material gathering for now, is there anything else you'd like to do?" Esther asked, bringing her legs around so she was sitting on them. "Especially if your week has been stressful. Maybe I can help you find your friend?"

Edited by Esther

Domarus listened as Esther denied his request as calmly and sweetly as she could put it.  At first he was disappointed but that was short lived and replaced with a sense of pride for the girl.  Indeed she couldn't be won over so easily and that could be useful in a number of ways.  Even if she didn't want to be a follower, which made total sense as she already had a master, er sorry, 'mentor', but he could still use her in very indirect ways.  For example, if he ever was in a hot spot with front liners and had her by his side, not only would they be reluctant to cut him down in front of her, but she could help him persuade them otherwise.

"Hey don't be upset about it.  I'm perfectly fine with your decision.  Though maybe instead of 'follower' you could be an ally?  I could always use those.  And yeah I'll go ahead and grab a weapon first.  I can use a quest I heard about to get my hands on some decent armor...  Do you think it would be a good idea to really go about buying things related to my personality this soon?  I originally believed that it would appear arrogant and I don't want that just yet, seeing as how it might ruin the reputation that I'm trying so desperately to gain."  He listened to her asked if there was anything else he was interested in doing.  He wondered how she'd react to his true list:  The first was to befriend players and trick them into becoming his followers, serving him faithfully throughout their time in Aincrad.  The second on his list was to become extremely high level and powerful, with unspeakably powerful gear and every skill he could get his hands on.  If someone had something only available to specific few he would find a way to get it.  However he wasn't a master at everything.  That was why he needed master followers, or generals as he liked to call them.

"You mean right now or later?  And I doubt we'll find her.  She's somewhere in the town of beginnings and I'll probably end up stumbling on her or something.  Besides you she's the only one on my friend list so I'll know if she's dead."