[SP-F1] The Battlefield of Broken Blades (RGQ)

The blade sank into his shoulder as Arc sagged in a futile attempt to get out of the way. He let the beast in too close, and now he was paying for it. Another poke of red appeared at the point of impact, and the Mercenary let out an annoyed growl as his health took yet another dip. At least I can't say that I'm bored.

With a quick punch to the creature's gut, Arc got his feeling of satisfaction without any amount of damage. It was almost too bad he didn't have the Martial Arts skill, the way he blindly threw blows at his foes. He had a proclivity for losing his temper in these situations, and he felt nothing was wrong with taking potshots at mobs. They weren't people, and they all wanted him dead.

His rage boiled. The guard called out something, but he didn't hear it. He brought Levantine up in a ready stance.

Arc was going to make the thing bleed.

Arc: 95/120 HP 0/12 Energy

Goblin 1: Dead

Goblin 2: 11/30

Townspeople

1: 10/10

2: 10/10

3: 10/10

4: 10/10

Guard: 75/100 (+5 from being out of combat)

ID# 67299 results:

Battle: 1

Craft: 8

Loot: 16

MOB: 9

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arc rolled under the next strike with the finesse of a swashbuckler. He found his feet easily enough without a system assist and brought his blade whipping around artfully. The unfortunate Goblin found itself right in the vector of attack as he did so, and the slash bit deep into its health. The creature was rattled as it backed off, obviously displeased with its inopportune timing.

The mercenary pressed his advantage. With a quick and deft motion, he brought the weapon sundering down toward his foe. It let out a yelp.

"Mercenary!" the guard called. "Hey, mercenary! We've got a problem- there's a big, ugly Goblin heading toward the townsfolk. I'm going to leave this one to you. Think you can handle it?"

"Just go," Arc hissed.

The guard did just that. Arc focused on his own opponent, the culmination of his efforts visible in the way his enemy wavered. Only a handful more strikes would fell the beast.

Arc: 95/120 HP 0/12 Energy

Goblin 2: 8/30

Goblin Ringleader: 25/25 (Mit: 3, Dmg: 6)

Townspeople

Guard: 80/100

ID# 67301

Battle: 7

Craft: 10

Loot: 7

Mob: 4

Edited by Arc

Arc hissed in disgust as the creature danced effortlessly past his last powerful strike.

Both swordsman and monster stared each other down in defiance, but Arc could feel the toll on his energy poll. These long winded battles were no good for low level players. Heck, he wagered they weren't good for any level players, until he managed to nail down some kind of skill that made attacking more cost efficient. A swordsman is a being that requires time to fully mature. The skills in Sword Art Online reflected that.

A player decided when they wanted to move forward on one track, or if they did not want to learn a specific skill at all. Arc had started placing his faith in his armor just enough to keep him alive, but he had noticed several locked options that would allow him to allocate his skill points toward augmenting his statistics. Those were what he would work toward, for the moment. Anything to make himself last longer in the heat of battle.

The more survivable a person made their character, the less likely they were to find themselves in a coffin.

Again, the impact came. Again, he offered only a grunt in response.

Arc: 93/120 HP 0/12 Energy

Goblin Ringleader: 24/25

Townspeople

ID# 67318 results:

Battle: 1

Craft: 1

Loot: 14

MOB: 7

"So tell me," Arc grated as he managed to hold off any further attacks for the moment. "What prompted these buggers to attack?"

The guard could scarce believe Arc needed to ask. "Territorial little things," he grunted back. "They've been looking for a way to strike at the settlements here for a long time, and I guess this means they found their chance. Who knows what drives them, other than wanton slaughter. All they do is sew chaos wherever they go and burn through people as they do it."

Arc frowned visibly.

"All you need to know about Goblins is that they're scum," the guard called back as he struck toward his foe again. "They're only worthy to be condemned to a quick death, and that will allow the people here to live on in fragile peace. There's no end to the horde, but the least we can do is prevent these attacks and give them a chance at a normal life."

"Yeah, I can get on board with that." The mercenary took up his blade again and considered his foe. It looked like a man possessed, depraved, interested only in spilling his blood. Arc almost pitied it. There was no semblance of humanity in it. Its programming was vicious, monstrous, and held only murderous intent. There was no chance that it would ever feel love, or friendship, or have anything worth caring for.

"Yeah," he repeated. "I'm definitely with you on that."

Goblin Ringleader: 24/25

Townspeople

ID# 67319 results:

Battle: 3

Craft: 4

Loot: 5

Mob: 3

Edited by Arc

He slammed his blade straight through the creature and withdrew it in a manner that ignored its effort to defend altogether. It let out a pitiful cry, though it managed not to expire. Arc narrowed his eyes. They're resilient, I give them that much. He watched a steady stream of data spew forth from the wound as he took a step back and leveled the blade between them. They just don't know how to die, so when it sneaks up on them they're terrible at it. That thought earned him a grin. Best give them plenty of practice, I wager.

The Goblin staggered forward with a rasp and brought its weapon up, only to meet with tempered steel. The clatter of metal as it lost control of its blade and took a tumble preceded Arc taking a step forward. "It's time to end this," he told the mob as he spun his blade and let it come to rest over his head. His wicked green gaze held the Goblin in contempt for several fleeting moments.

Arc took a deep breath.

Goblin 2: 5/30

Goblin Ringleader: 23/25

Townspeople

ID# 67322 results:

Battle: 7

Craft: 5

Loot: 14

MOB: 2

He felt lighter as he gripped Levantine in a skilled grip, and the blade responded well. If not for the quality of its make, the even distribution of weight, and his collective skill with the blade, he might have missed the strike. As it was, the strike came on point. The Goblin gave a startled cry, almost sure it had perfectly evaded. To its dismay, the pain lanced through its body once more and it shriveled and cowered. Almost all of its health was spent. Arc felt the throb of a feeble attempt to counterattack, and the damage whittled at his health, but the Mercenary did not relent.

It was almost over, now. He stared down at the severely weakened beast with no emotion on his face at all. He brought the weapon up again, this time intending to relieve the creature of its head. It was already kneeling before him, its pathetic attempt to end his life broken by the armor that he'd earned with blood, sweat, and tears. "My dad always told me," he recited, "to do unto others as they do unto you."

Arc closed his eyes for a moment, took a deep breath, and brought his weapon downward.

"Its just good business."

Arc: 90/120 HP 0/12 Energy

Goblin 2: 2/30

Goblin Ringleader: 22/25

Townspeople

Guard: 74/100

ID# 67392 results:

Battle: 5

Loot: 18

MOB: 7

Edited by Arc

Levantine fell like a headsman's axe, and the Goblin slumped as its head rolled away.

Arc watched the body sag pitifully for a moment before it scattered to the wind, and he lifted the weapon again. "I could use a little help here," the Guard called out in an almost obnoxious voice. "This thing is a little bit tougher than its friends, and I don't really want to die today, Mercenary."

"I don't need you dying either," he muttered. "Don't get paid if someone ain't around to pay me."

"At least I can count on you being loyal to your Col," the guard murmured glumly. Arc sniggered at the comment, but kept his tongue. There was no point in distracting the NPC too much. He would take a moment to rest- that much would help in the coming fight. Hopefully the creature would not do too much damage to his ally before he could come to the rescue, but he wasn't beyond allowing the man to make a valiant sacrifice. An NPC could respawn. Arc could not.

"Give me a few seconds," Arc called. "I need a moment."

"Oh, sure! Take your time! Have a spot of tea while you're at it!"

Arc smiled and gave the NPC the finger.

Arc: 90/120 HP 0/12 Energy

Goblin 2: Dead

Goblin Ringleader: 21/25

Townspeople

Guard: 68/100

ID# 67395 results:

Battle: 9

Craft: 12

Loot: 12

MOB: 1

The guard grunted as it fought off the Goblin leader, albeit with some difficulty. Arc watched with a pensive expression as the two fought, seeking any sign that there may be a weakness in the creature's defenses. He held tightly to his weapon but did not engage. He needed a few moments to compose himself after two consecutive battles. Thankfully, the Guard was there to soak up some damage before he ran right in. Unfortunately, the creature seemed to not take much from his little friend, but every little bit counted.

Arc glanced over toward the townsfolk, who seemed to still be absolutely terrified. He saw no sign that other creatures were attacking, so he had to wonder if this was the last of the creatures he would have to kill. He wouldn't count his chickens, of course. Gotta stay vigilant. If I relax now, I'll end up losing this fight. This guard needs me to jump in, so I need to decide on a plan of attack...

His eyes lingered over his slowly rising energy bar, which gave him an idea. Those Sword Arts are pretty handy for dealing substantial damage. If I can accrue just enough to get off one or two big hits, I can turn the tide of this battle. Hang in there, little buddy... Tobes has a bright idea on the way!

[Arc passes combat this turn, BD determines Guard's movements for the time being]

Arc: 90/120 HP 1/12 Energy

Goblin Ringleader: 20/25

Townspeople

Guard: 61/100

ID# 67403 results:

Battle: 8

Craft: 2

Loot: 7

Mob: 7

Edited by Arc

Just a little more... hang in there, mate!

Tobias watched the battle drag on without hope of an end. The Goblin hit with immense force when it managed to land a blow, and the Guard appeared to do little more than swat at it ineffectually. He gnawed on his lower lip in consideration of the beast's tactics, erratic as they were. There had to be something to this. He watched as the beast hefted its weapon powerfully and brought it down toward the pathetic guardsman's shield, forcing the man to give up ground. Arc examined the form of both parties, and he evaluated what made the Goblin so much more dangerous in combat.

It wasn't attacking in any sort of set rhythm. It almost seemed like the creature was just doing as it pleased. Wanton chaos and fiery death fueled the urges of this horde. Arc bristled quietly to himself as it struck him. I can't read anything because there's nothing to read. This is going to be bad.

He just hoped none of the NPCs were going to have to pay for it. He was doing well so far, markedly. None of them were dead.

This was probably just the beginning.

[Arc continues passivity, roll represents Guard again]

Arc: 90/120 HP 2/12 Energy

Goblin Ringleader: 20/25

Townspeople

Guard: 55/100

ID# 67422 results:

Battle: 4

Craft: 9

Loot: 20

MOB: 8

"Alright, I'm taggin' in, bud!" Arc called out to the guard without warning, and the man almost jumped out of his skin. The Goblin didn't have time to react. A hulking blade and swath of black bull rushed it at top speed. The unfortunate green beastie let out a wail of terror mixed with anguish, then clattered to the ground beneath the weight of Arc's attack. "Straight," he murmured as his blade rent flesh.

The Sword Art all but fizzled away, having done all the damage it needed to. The creature shuddered and flailed, but ultimately found itself unable to fight to its feet again. Arc smirked in satisfaction. "Sorry for the long wait," he apologized to the NPC. "I didn't think intend to wait that long, but I got an idea and had to run with it."

"You're talking too much," the guard yelled. "Kill it, and kill it quick! We need to get the townsfolk to safety, and we can't do that while there are monsters on the loose."

"Yeah, yeah," Arc waved a hand dismissively. "I get it. Give me a second, its got a little bit of fight left in it. Too early to call this one."

"What are you saying? It's down. Deliver the finishing blow!"

"If only it worked like that," the merc muttered. He looked to the guard, then to the townspeople, then back at the Goblin. "I'll finish this as quickly as I can," he promised to all three groups at once. "Don't rush it. Gotta make sure it's done right."

Arc: 90/120 HP 1/12 Energy

Goblin Ringleader: 10/25

Townspeople

ID# 67423 results:

Battle: 10

Craft: 6

Loot: 16

MOB: 2

Edited by Arc

Arc felt the stab, but not the pain that should have accompanied it. He wagered it was his fault for lingering too long overhead and not sealing the deal, but the creature made him pay for his indiscretion. He hobbled backward, having missed a golden opportunity. "That's not the way you kill a goblin," the guard called over to him. Arc muttered something about shoving it, but managed not to let it slip out loudly. He steadied himself and took a deep breath. That wasn't something he wanted to repeat. It could have been much worse, though.

"Alright, you little bugger," he spoke quietly to the Goblin. "I'm going to kill you one way or the other, so you should make this easy on yourself. The longer this drags on, the worse it'll be for you. I can end it with one stroke, or I can beat you to death with the flat of my blade. Your choice."

The Goblin merely grunted, growled, and garbled as goblins were wont to do. Arc snorted. "Of course."

Arc: 87/120 HP 0/12 Energy

Townspeople

ID# 67424 results:

Battle: 2

Loot: 13

MOB: 6

Their blades met again, and Arc felt some resistance, but the dagger was battered harmlessly aside. Still the creature managed to halt any advance on the mercenary's part toward it's health dropping. "This thing puts up a good fight," he acknowledged quietly. It did not seem to register his words at all. "Still just a hunk of data in a massive stream. It can't hope to compete with someone who's actively reasoning for a means of beating it."

"What are you on about?" the guard asked. "Is the fight making you delusional? Stay focused!"

"Like I need you to tell me that," he spat back offhand. "It's just a trash mob. I can deal with this thing without ever breaking a sweat." Half of that was a lie. Arc was already drenched, what with the flames licking at his form as he fought. "Just make sure everyone is safe until I can lend you a hand, alright?"

"You haven't got to tell me twice," the guard replied. He went about checking on each of the survivors as Arc continued the valiant effort. Neither side managed to make contact, but both seemed just as determined to see the other fall.

Arc: 87/120 HP 0/12 Energy

Townspeople

ID# 67483 results:

Battle: 4

Craft: 11

Loot: 11

MOB: 3

With a roar of effort, the Goblin sank its weapon into his chest. Arc let out a grunt as he imagined the many times over he would have been dead if this were reality. He almost felt superhuman when he drew that comparison. Still, he understood the imposing possibility of death was leering down at him from the heavens. He let out a sigh as the creature gloated over its massive effort, and his hand shot out to grip the Goblin by the throat. It gargled in surprise.

"Never let down your guard," the player told his adversary. His powerful grip guided the beast further forward, and he impaled it on the edge of Levantine. "Because when you're fighting me, I'll make you pay for every bloody slip up."

It screeched, then squealed, and it fought its way backward as it reeled from the monstrous move. Arc watched without a hint of satisfaction in his gaze. Played that one too close to the hip. Shouldn't let them that close, if I can help it. Shouldn't be so willing to take those kinds of hits.

Ultimately, it didn't matter. This battle shouldn't last long enough for the creature to make him regret it. Still, the swordsman in him told him that he knew better. Now I have to work twice as hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Arc: 84/120 HP 0/12 Energy

Townspeople

ID# 67485 results:

Battle: 5 (+1) =6

Craft: 5

Loot: 8

MOB: 9

It stabbed into him frantically, and without abandon.

Arc seethed as he plunged his weapon deep, right to the heart of where his foe ought to be. He held it down, pinned beneath a knee as he let out a roar of effort. The beast was terrified.

"Do all adventurers fight like you?" the guard asked with a worried expression. "You seem a bit more like one of the monsters than the ones I've seen."

The mercenary ignored him entirely. He stared into the beast's eyes, watching as the terror clouded over into acceptance. It shivered and spasmed, but did not die. Not yet.

"Just die," he growled with a hellish gleam to his gaze. Arc was dimly aware of the anger as it climbed to its apex. He felt the rage boil and his blood with it. I can control this. I have to. Use it, don't be used by it. I have to remember...

"Die!" he screamed in its face. Flecks of spittle rained on the creature's face as he threw a punch, then another. He drove his weapon deeper, seeking to nail it to the dirt as he fought. The Goblin's head lulled, then rolled sideways. It was not dead, but his efforts had been a bit much for it. The system must have been trying to compensate for these new, unpredictable human emotions.

Arc was feeding it things it had never experienced before, not to this degree.

Cardinal was loving it.

Arc: 81/120 HP 0/12 Energy

Goblin Ringleader: 6/25

Townspeople

ID# 67487 results:

Battle: 10

Craft: 12

Loot: 10

Again he ripped the blade out, only to drive it deep once more. The Goblin sagged a bit beneath the weight of his blow, its arms and legs twitching. The game was almost unable to comprehend the excess of data from Tobias' NerveGear as the man railed against injustice for the umpteenth time. Cardinal was supposed to seek out this kind of imbalance and correct it, from what he had read. He recalled the earlier versions of the game employed an AI that went to players when they were suffering or having problems and helped them trough it, almost like a psychiatrist or a counselor. That must have been scrapped with the release, when Kayaba decided that the game would be a one and done deal.

None of it was important anymore.

The mercenary ripped into the beast with countless attacks, but it ceased to fight back. "Come ON," he insisted. "Give me some kind of challenge! Make me feel like this is worthwhile! Remind me why this is supposed to be difficult! Make me suffer, the way you wanted to make these people suffer!"

"Hey," the guard called uneasily. "Hey!"

Arc gripped the beast by the throat and pulled it level with his face. The eyes were red, but immensely distant. It was like looking into the stare of a lifeless body, albeit with shallow breaths escaping now and again. His weapon ripped more of the creature as it slid up and down along the edge. He threw the Goblin back to the ground with extreme prejudice. "This killed Thom?" he asked with ragged breaths. "Impossible. Unacceptable. Unthinkable. This is far too weak. He would never have died in the face of this."

Arc: 81/120 HP 0/12 Energy

Goblin Ringleader: 3/25

Townspeople

ID# 67488 results:

Battle: 8

Craft: 11

Loot: 2

MOB: 3

The creature flailed one last time, and its dagger came to rest in Arc's gut.

He never even noticed. The weapon remained lodged there long after the creature pitifully expired, bursting into tiny fragments of reusable data that would doubtless come back to haunt him. He stood, trembling. Arc stared at the place where the object of his enmity had rested moments before, all too willing to take each and every hit he had to offer it. His teeth ground into his lip and he shut his eyes tightly. "I can kill these things without a lick of effort," he whispered. "There's no way that they could have killed you."

"Hey, are you alright?" the guard asked as he took hold of Arc's sleeve. "Man, you fought like a demon, you know that?"

When Arc glanced up at the man, the other noticed tears at the edges of his eyes. "You're really something else." The man took a deep breath, then turned back to the still burning town. "We need to get them out of here," he said. "It should be safe, now. There's no sign of any more Goblins."

Arc looked up numbly. "Huh? Oh. Right."

The guard smiled. "You saved all of them," he said with pride. "Not one person died today. You're a hero, mercenary."

The words hurt to hear. He ripped the blade from his gut and tossed it to the dirt, where it dissipated.

Arc: 78/120 HP 0/12 Energy

Goblin Ringleader: Dead

Townspeople

ID# 67489 results:

Battle: 6

Craft: 1

Loot: 3

When he came closer to the village, Arc noticed a small child running in his direction. "Mister!" she called out. "Mister, thank you!" She was sobbing, snot dribbling down her face and tears staining his cloak as she grabbed him. "We're saved... mommy and big brother were out before they got to us, but daddy... they... daddy..."

His expression hardened with the realization that Cardinal had claimed this NPC's father. When that sort of thing happened, the characters did not respawn. This was the sort of quest that actually slightly changed things on Aincrad. Arc had left his own imprint, whether for better or worse. He let out a sigh as he placed a hand on the child's head. "Rest easy," he told her. "Go to your mother, and cry with her. I'm just a mercenary, and hardly worthy of your tears."

"Uh uh," she shook her head. "You saved us. The village can be rebuilt because you risked your life. You're my hero, mister."

Arc froze as she repeated the word hero. His eyes moved down to her, and he tried to speak. No words came. Hero?

"Nah," he managed to say weakly. "I'm definitely not that."

She smiled, despite all the reasons she had not to. Arc felt that. It was like a dagger in his heart.

"Shown up by a kid," he muttered. "I'll be damned."

The guard hurried over to Arc with a woman in tow. "Mommy!" the little girl cried as she rushed from Arc to the woman. "Mommy, this guy saved us!"

Arc shook his head with a mirthful smile. "It wasn't a big deal," he intoned. "Just went for the money, you know?" He knew that would sound in poor taste, but it also sounded humble enough to fit with his character. The woman placed a hand on his arm.

"You protected my daughter," she said with a bright smile. The fires around them began to die as NPCs worked together to douse them. "You are more than worthy of praise. Don't cheapen your efforts with such silly sentiments." Arc shrugged. It was his lot, really- the one he'd chosen for himself.

"It don't bother me none," he told her. "Really. Your thanks are most appreciated, though."

"Here," she said, "it isn't much, but you are more than welcome to what Col we can offer you. Everyone in this village owes you their life, and their means to make a living."

"Just doing the right thing," he told her. "You don't have to do that."

"I insist," she pressed him. Arc relented.

"Thank you," he said.

Arc turned to the Guard, who reached out and took his head. "Look, mercenary," the man said. "In spite of how absolutely maniacal your fighting was, you did a great thing by taking on those Goblins. These people would not have survived. This village would have been devastated, and the people in this area would be slowly overrun. Be on the lookout for other guards from now on- I've put your name out, and they'll be more than willing to hire you on if you're looking for work."

More quests? That's a nice addition. Maybe I made a big break this time.

"As for your money," the man reached into his pockets and produced a large sum. He pressed the Col into Arc's hand. "I'd like you to go around and see the other villagers before you leave, just so you understand how important what you did was. You don't have to, but a good number of them wanted to meet you before you left. They all expressed overwhelming thanks, and I feel like they should get to extend it themselves. Hearing it from me just doesn't have the same effect."

"All right, I'll make sure to do that." Arc noticed that he had not received the reward in full yet. No Experience had been yielded. "Looks like I don't have much of a choice, either..."

He moved from one NPC to another, all of them filled with no end of gratitude. It was not long before the fires were altogether gone, and smiling faces replaced the deep despair that had been drowning them only minutes prior. The Goblins were gone, and more guards had filtered out into the town to take up their posts. Arc knew that the people would be safe, at least until the system decided to unleash another one of these hellish quests on them.

Arc almost felt pity for them at that. "Hey, it's not a problem," he insisted again. "Any time you need, I'd be more than willing to help."

He earned the cheers of a massive crowd with that line.

Tobias felt his face turning red. Why were they all so happy? It was some small, insignificant town on the first floor. Was it really so important to them? Was the game trying to tell him that even the smallest things could be a massive event to someone? Was it trying to remind him that everything was significant, just not to everyone? Was it trying to show him what one player could do, given the opportunity?

He could just as easily have died.

"Thank you, everyone," he said quietly. Arc was not the type to dwell on what could have happened. What did happen, was that he was suddenly more confident than ever in his abilities.

"I took on all three," he muttered. "By myself. And I'm still alive."

I can do this.