[PP-F2] The Wilting Flower

"God, what a day..." Lycan muttered as he slid on his pants. He buckled them shut and looked over to the rest of his gear dangling on a drying rack. The fading evening sunlight reflected the red and blues of his clothes throughout his room at the Lumberer's Inn. He shook his head, trying to erase the memories of the afternoon.

"That girl..." he muttered as he reached for his v-neck. "I don't get her."

He slipped it over his head and tugged it tight. For a moment, he flopped down on the queen sized bed and rubbed at his forehead.

"It's like highschool all over again," he huffed. Then he threw out his hand as if arguing with an invisible stranger. "Like, she gets herself in these horrible situations. I save her thinking its the right thing to do and then... the kiss potion? Running in with Player Killers? Practically getting naked?"

He fell backward and spanned his arms across the comfortable plush comforter.

"I'm too old for this, man..." his voice dropped off into a whisper. "I should call quits. She's gotta be toying with me - like one of those preppy girls."

A long drawn sigh escaped Lycan's lips at the memory. He remembered a girl who pretended to be his friend, dropping small hints here and there it might be something more. When he finally worked up the courage to ask her out, she denied him in front of all of his and her friends. The years that passed, he had to fight off the rumor she spread of him being gay. Who would they believe, a nobody, or an attractive popular girl.

"Not doing that again," Lycan muttered to himself as he sat up. His eyes fell on his longcoat as it waited for him. He sighed.

"Better not keep her waiting."

Lycan got off the bed and finished donning his normal attire. With a few taps of his boots on the worn wooden floor, he made way for the door. Down the steps he went to the main lobby of the inn. Tables scattered around a massive dining hall with a large hearth burning fiercely in the far corner.  Feeling the remnant chill of the creek, he walked to the hearth and picked a comfortable leather seat closest to the flames.

"Hello sir, can I get something for you?" A young male steward asked him almost immediately.

Lycan looked up with a furrowed brow.

"That was fast," he commented. "Uh... yeah, could I have two coffees? Cream and sugar on the side. And do you guys have scones?"

"Yessir."

"One of those. Something with citrus baked in - lemon, orange, lime, whatever."

"That all?"

"That'll do, thanks." With those words, the steward gave a bow and Lycan noticed something off-putting. The server seemed to be grinning, not smiling. Lycan cocked his head as the man left and shook it off as his own paranoia.

With a deep inhale, he exhaled with pursed lips and turned his Amber eyes toward the flame. Esther wouldn't be long now, he told her to find him when she was done in her room. Girls always did take longer at these sorts of things.

Megurine.Luka.full.1962034.jpg

Esther wanted to get ready quickly, the prospect of being invited out to a small bite to eat and a nice hot drink both exicted and relaxed her. She wanted nothing more to do than to clear the air with Lycan. She adored hanging out with him, but it was very clear that there were some underlining issues. Lately Esther was doing her best to not be nosy, not to pry into other peoples lives or feelings, but this...this bothered her too much to let it slide. After their latest adventure, she had managed to level up, she wanted to show Lycan, she wanted to show him that soon - she wouldn't be so weak anymore.

Esther stood in front of a mirror, attempting to brush out her damp hair. "Lycan...." She mumbled, soft features twisting into a look of concern as she stared back at her reflection. She had dressed down, after her companion suggested casual clothes. She wore a lace white top with ruffles down the front, adorned with a neat, black bow. A high waisteddark brown skirt accompanied a lighter brown pair of stockings. On her feet, were plain black ballet flats. Esther set down her brush, sighing. When she wore clothes like this, it almost felt as though she was back home. 

"Don't worry Lye...I'll fix everything. Just you watch." Esther told herself in the mirror, turning to walk out her room.

Esther headed downstairs - the night air still had a mild chill to it, and her hair was still slightly damp. It didn't take long to find him, the tavern area wasn't crowded and there was only one roaring fire in the whole place. Esther headed over to the hearth, and peered over one of the leather seats. Sure enough, Lycan sat in it - leaning forward. His orange gaze transfixed on the fire. Esther tilted her head, smiling warmly. 

"Lycan." She greeted, shifting to sit on the arm of the chair. "Look." She bought up her HUD, shifting closer to him so he could see her stats. "Thanks to you, I've levelled up." She laughed softly, "At this rate, I'll be a top notch healer and hunter in no time!" 

The roaring warmth of the fire seemed to melt away her earlier troubles, right now - all she wanted was to enjoy the warmth of an open flame, and the company of Lycan.

Esther broke Lycan from his trance. Like waking from a dream, he looked at her groggily until reality settled back into his bones. He noticed her change of outfit, a more casual number with thinner fabrics apart from her shawl and draping attire. Ironically enough, she looked like one of those catholic school girls with the skirt and blouse. He found it fitting, considering his previous conversation with himself.

"Hey," he greeted in return. She sat beside him on the arm of his chair and leaned over with her HUD exposed. Lycan's eyes glassed over the information, taking no particular interest. A part of him wanted to smile, give her a hug, and wish her congratulations. The other part, however, struggled with the idea of her presence. 

"Congrats," commented the teen.

"Why don't you take a seat." He gestured to the opposing chair in front of him. Between the two, a small and short table stood. The entire ensemble rested on a rug as the heat of the hearth washed over them. "I ordered us coffee. Cream and sugar on the side. Do you like scones?"

Overall, Lycan's expression and mannerisms lacked his previous jovial spirit. His features looked firmer, his eyes duller, and his posture closed. He looked up to Esther with a flat face and gestured over to the chair another time with the nod of his head. It looked as if a father shooed his child away.

"When you're comfortable, we'll talk about the safeguard recipe."

Lycan already began to seed distance between the two. What he thought may have been a potential interest for a deeper relationship, now became something more about business. He wanted her safe, that much remained a constant. The emotional roller-coaster, kiss, and silken slip, that vanished into the recesses of his mind as though they never existed. The teen began reverting to his old ways - the time before her. He believed once again, this world was a lonely one meant only for the independent and the strong.

Esthers smile faded as Lycan took little interest in what she had to show him. What was I thinking? He doesn't care She forced a laugh. "Aha...I suppose such a thing isn't all too important for someone who must be at least 10 levels higher than me. His congratulatory comment felt flat, and insincere. He barely looked at her as he gestured toward the seat in front of him. "Ah..." She slid off the arm and onto the floor. Choosing instead to sit close to the fire. Esther gathered her hair and let it fall to her back with a heavy 'slick' noise. Still damp from their accidental romp in the river.

"Yeh." Esther commented, her green eyes dancing over Lycan's' form. "I love sweets..." She seemed distracted, concerned. Why was he acting this way? "Lye..." Her voice was filled with concern, worry. It was clear that Esther was attempting to reach out to him, to mend any sort of bridges that had been inadvertently burned. "The recipie can wait...something is bothering you, right? You're acting different. I'm worried about you..."

She shifted her green eyes away from his, toward the crackling fire. "It seems every since I kissed you- you've sort of....." She tilted her head, trying to find the right words. "Sort of....pushed me away? No....being bothered? No... ugh..." She pulled her eyes away from the fire, and instead set them at her hands, which lay in her lap. "Maybe I'm over-analysing things again. Just something doesn't feel right, and I want to fix it."

"Don't worry about it," Lycan quipped, sharper than usual. "It's not something you can fix."

"Your coffee sir?" the steward asked from behind. Lycan turned to meet his attention, missing any sort of reaction Esther may have had to his comment.

"Thanks, yeah, just place it on the table." The teen pointed a hand and the steward placed the silver platter atop the low table.

An ivory decanter of hot coffee emitted a thin line of steam from its spout. Two polished, ceramic cups sat to either side, each with their own saucer of cream and sugar. Silver spoons laid in a row on white linen napkins and in the middle, a layered tower with varying scones. The server pulled another linen cloth drapped from his forearm and plucked a lemon poppyseed scone from the top. He placed it on a small plate on Lycan's side and stood upright.

"Lemon poppyseed," the redheaded steward commented. "Enjoy."

Again, the thin-lipped steward feigned a smile with questionable undertones. With an adjustment of his glasses, he left the two alone. Lycan cocked a brow and followed the man with his gaze until he vanished behind a door to the kitchen.

"Hmm..." With a shake of his head, Lycan brought his attention to the display of coffee and sweets.

"I'll pour you a cup," Lycan stated, further deflecting Esther's question. 

He lifted the decanter and poured two steaming cups before setting it back down. With two spoons of cream and two spoons of sugar, Lycan whisked away his creamy beverage as the musical clinks of metal to teacup sounded. He pushed his lips to the edge and exhaled to cool the first sip.

"Mmm..." he muttered. "That's good."

Eager to try the sweets, Lycan took a bite out of the scone set before him and washed it down with another hearty sip of coffee. The lemon and poppyseed pastry combined on his tongue like he recalled so many times back home. It was like Montana in winter. The teen cracked a small smile as he set down his hot cup and dusted his hands.

"So, safeguard potions. You remember those crystals? You start by grinding them down in a pestle..." he began, droning on all the little details to make the potion. Toast the leaves, steep them like tea, mix in a ratio of the crystal, heat, reduce, and cool. As he spoke, something began to ache at the back of his head. Lycan blinked a few times to try and rid its influence, but the strange sensation started to spread.

Esther flinched when Lycan snapped back at her. Something was definitely wrong. Her hand instinctively went up to fiddle with the collar she normally wore around her neck, but since it was currently safely hidden away in her inventory, she was met with bare skin. Esther lowered her head, fingers absently at the nape of her neck as the waiter came and set aside some scones and coffee. "Of course I can't...." Esther mumbled finally, watching him pour the cups of coffee. "Not without your help Lye."

Esther reached out to pour in a copious amount of cream, followed by questionable amounts of sugar. She wasn't kidding when she said she liked sweet things. Esther in turn clinked her own silver spoon against her coffee cup. She felt a lump in the pit of her stomach. She just wanted to make things right with Lycan. Esther bit her lower lip, seeing her reflection in the soft, light brown coffee. She took a deep breath and took a long sip. guzzling half the cup. It warmed her insides, even so- Esther still found her breathing staggered. 

Esther crawled over to Lycan's chair, choosing to lean her back against it whilst she listened to him rattle on about the safeguard potion. "Lye...." He went on about temperature controls, how she should start on a high heat, then lower it to a simmer. "Lye." Her voice grew more persistent, desperate. He continued, talking about different ways to cut the ingredients and how larger portions could yield a completely different potion. Esther sighed, placing her coffee cup on the floor next to her. She twisted her body, placing two small hands over his, leaning over the arm of the chair.

"LYCAN." She rose her voice, a faint glimmer of tears dotting the corner of her eyes. "Please, LISTEN to me. Stop side-stepping the question. What's bothering you?"

As the teen spoke, the feeling of ants or cold water inside his head grew. He blinked more, and shook his head lightly as he tried to ward off the unusual sensation. It felt like a whisper, like a faint nagging that burrowed deep. He tried to focus on his words, something he knew - a potion recipe. As he rambled, the whisper became more of a voice, no concrete words, but a tone similar to his own, but harsher. Soon, his words stopped becoming his own, but someone else entirely. His head pounded and he felt drunk with a warmth. A seething, brutal warmth.

Esther's hands shook him from his verbal trance. The one thing that tethered Lycan together from that awful feeling snapped like twine, and somewhere inside, a dam broke.

"What?!" Lycan barked, his fist slammed on the arm of his chair.

'Woah, dude, simmer...' he mentally chided toward his seemingly out of place outburst.

"You want to know what the problem is, Esther?" Lycan began, and the pit of his stomach immediately soured.

'Sh--, what am I doing?'

"I'll tell you what. It's you. You're the problem."

'No, stop it. Stop talking...'

Lycan turned to face her and grabbed one of her hands. His grip was firm, commanding.

"You play coy, walking up like you've never been outside the walls. Convince me to help you, for free. Then we end up in that alley. My fault, granted, but what was with that act huh?"

'It wasn't an act. You know it wasn't an act. Stop talking!'

"Strip down, play vulnerable? Do you like trouble? Or do you work with Addel?"

'Stop it, stop talking. Why can't I stop talking?!'

"You wake up long enough to make a potion that tastes like your lips? And that kiss at the creek, what was all that about? Do you like stringing people along? Play with my heart?"

'Not here. Not like this. Shut the f--k up, please!'

"I like you, but maybe you're too dense to see that. Maybe, just maybe, you're smarter than you look and your vice in this sh--hole is sucking people like myself into your sick games."

'I don't mean that. That's not how I want to tell you. Don't listen to me!'

Lycan squeezed her hand harder than he should and Cardinal acknowledged it as an attack. The rejection of a safe zone attack rebounded his hands from her violently.

"You're a tease, Esther..." he seethed.

'No please. Stop. Not like this...'

"And you don't care about anyone but yourself."

The room fell silent. All eyes were on Lycan and the girl. The hiss and crackle of the fire behind them broke the otherwise dead Inn.

Lycan rose from his chair and looked down on her with his lip flared in disgust.

"Can you fix that?" he spat.

'God... no.... Esther....'

Esther flinched away from his other hand as it slammed down on the arm of the couch, her grip tightened on the hand that she held. Spittle flew from his mouth, landing on her cheek, the girl visibly shivered. "Lycan..." Her voicebroke, she hiccuped, still trying to comfort him. Her thumb and forefinger tenderly rubbing up and down the top of his hand. Even as he said she was the problem. Esther shrank, her shoulders sunk and the feeling in the pit of her stomach grew. Her hair toppled forward over her shoulders. She audibly sniffed. Still refusing to let go. Wanting to grasp onto the teen, to grasp onto whatever warmth he had held. "Lye..." Her voice was barely a whisper above shaken breaths. 

The silver haired teen fiercely grabbed one of her hands, standing, lifting Esther to her feet. Her body dangled. The tip of her toes only just managing to touch the floor.Her head remained downcast. Droplets of tears landed on the plush carpet. -plink- -plink -plink- Even with his harsh grip. Esther twisted her hand to try and hold onto his. Lycan was hurting, he was hurting and it was her fault. Esther wanted to quell the rage that stirred inside him, she hoped that her small actions somehow- reached through to him, reached the Lycan she knew, the Lycan she adored.

Esther's body shook, and the tears continued to fall, silently streaking down her face as he uttered cruel, hurtful words. "I...I'll pay you..." She whimpered. If he wanted Col...materials...anything...she'd do it. If he was concerned about reimbursement she'd do it. "I c-cant....act..." she pleaded. He mentioned that she had stripped down, but Esther had little, to no recollection of that. "I...I'm sorry...-hic- I don't...remember...." Lycan shook, and Esther's body limply swayed side to side.

"HEY! STOP WHAT THE HELL DO YUO THINK YOU'RE DOING?" One of the customers cried out, ready to intervene, but a cool, calm, and maliciously smiling red haired waiter shushed the man. Bringing a single finger to his thin lips, he lifted up his sleeve, showing a tattoo, and the man who was ready to intervene, quickly shyed away.

"I don't remember..." Esther pleaded. "I-I didn't....I didn't know..." 

Esther wasn't sure what hurt more, his actions, his anger, or his words. She didn't realise she was playing him. She didn't realise her actions up until this point were teasing, or beguiling. Esther didn't know how much the kiss had hurt him. She didn't realise she was playing games with his heart. Weakly...Esther rose a shaking hand to grasp Lycan's hand that held her so tightly and viciously above the ground. She gave it a tight squeeze - finally lifting her head to face him. "I'm so sorry.." She said, squeezing his hand. Tears streamed down her face, emerald eyes awash in bitter heartbreak. Lycan admitted he liked her, and that she was too dense, or too smart to care. Esther had no words. She gulped back tears, and her head fell back down. I'm horrible

There was faint tinge of pain in her wrist and Lycan's hand was flung from her, Esther fell to the ground in a heap. She hadn't bothered to brace herself. "Lye..." She shivered, trying to push herself up. "H-how..." She flinched as he called her a tease, as he said she only cared about herself. "How do I fix it?" She asked, looking up at him.

'Esther...' his mind wretched at the sight. His actions again wounding her, this time without remorse or control. 'Why...?'

"You can't," Lycan growled. "Your kind. Can't."

'She's had enough. Stop it. Just hold her. Stop her. She's crying again.'

"You can't fix a coward. You can't fix someone who just... submits to other people. And you can't fix a liar."

Lycan grit his teeth and opened his menus.

"All you preppy girls are the same. You want to be abused? You want that bad boy?"

He navigated to his friend's list where only a handful of names appeared.

"Not me. I'm not your tool. I'm done being strung around on your invisible leash."

'Don't do it. Come on. Please. What is wrong with me?!'

Lycan pulled up Esther's contact and hit unfriend. With a clenched fist, he dismissed his interface.

"You want a dog, go get a familiar. I'm done."

'Stop it. Go help her! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!'

Lycan gave her his back and started walking toward his room. He stopped to see some civilian that looked upon him with hate and that sense of justice. He was held back by the steward.

'You... Did you...?'

"What the f--- are you looking at?!" Lycan spat at the commoner. "You want to take this to a total loss duel? I'll slit your throat right here."

Lycan didn't notice the server flash his wrist, but the commoner backed down regardless. Lycan scoffed with a snarl and continued toward the stairs. Again, the room fell quiet.

"M..my kind....?" Esther asked, confused at his words. Her eyes stung, as more tears burst forth. Lycan called her a coward, a liar, he insisted that she wanted a 'bad boy' and that she wanted abuse. Esther didn't understand any of it. Was this to do with the leash and collar? Was it because of her own naive and foolish actions? Was Esther really that bad of a person? She didn't want to take up a weapon...was he frustrated by that choice? "I..I'm sorry..." She mumbled, wiping her tears away with the back of a shaking hand.

"Please...Lycan...don't..." Esthers vision blurred as she watched Lycan storm away from her. The notification that he had unfriended her popped up on her screen. Not again...please Lycan...not again... She shook her head, scrambling to her feet. "LYCAN!" Her voice echoed around the silent room, all eyes on the angry man, and the foolish girl who refused to give up. Her voice was wracked with sobs, and she faltered, tripping as she tried to chase him. He got to the foot of the stairs before she grabbed hold of his sleeve.

"Lycan..please..." She pleaded, "This isn't you right...." She gave his sleeve a slight tug. "Please...please tell me this is just some sort of joke, Lye.. please...I don't..." Her head lowered, and her grip loosened for just a moment before it tightened again. She took a few deep breaths, attempting to find resolve. If this were the first time she had encountered verbal abuse from him, she had no doubt that she would be curled up in a ball, but now...the only thing that kept her going was the adreneline coursing through her veins, and the thought of his awkward smile, that had somehow been sapped away by a brutal snarl.

Esther looked back up at Lycan, a mix of heartache and determination in her watery eyes. "I can't accept this Lycan! I can't! Don't do this to me...you promised."

Lycan carried himself up the stairs until his pants caught on something. He tried to kick away, but it persisted. With a fierce gaze, he shot it to the source. Esther desperately clinged to him. Her eyes sparkled with tears. Her cries hit his ears with such pain. Inside, trapped, Lycan felt the urge to scream and break down the doors of whatever prison he was lock inside. It, however, persisted.

"You again," Lycan snapped. "I thought I made myself clear. I'm done with you. You've got something special with Mari, go cry in her lap."

'Damn it... I can't stop... I just... I just have to watch this...?'

"Maybe you need a little violence to get the point through? You like that collar, maybe you'll like this."

Lycan's gut wrenched at the sight of his own actions in motion. He lifted the boot free from her grasp and pressed it into her head of lilac hair.

"How's that? Get the message?" He pushed harder.

'STOP IT!!!'

Lycan raised his boot to strike her down but his leg froze. The teen's expression wrenched between anger and another entirely different emotion. His fierce eyes glistened and the tears began to well. His throat became hoarse and fists trembled.

"A promise with a liar..." The words left his lips in a struggle. "Is a lie in itself."

And his boot met her, signaling another attack in a safezone. The force repelled one from the other.

'JUST STOP IT!!!' he screamed in his internal prison.

"Just stop it," he voiced. "Give up. The game's over."

Esther felt Lycan kick at her, trying to shoo her off, but she persisted. The pain limiters firmly in place, his violent action nothing more than a light slap on her wrist, or in this instance, kick to the head. "Y-you know Mari and I aren't like that...we're friends L-lye.." Esther coughed, choking on her own heaving body. Why was she trying so hard? It was clear he didn't want anything to do with her. Still....still something didn't seem right. Esther struggled to push herself up again, her eyes meeting with his- emerald shaking,crying irises stared up at hateful filled crimson eyes. Then, her vision blurred. Blocked by a large boot as Lycan bought his shoe over her head.

"o-owww..." Esther groaned. His foot violently pressed her face into the jagged corner of the stairs. He asked if she got the message, "Please...stop this..." She begged, her voice barely audible. STOMP Another hard hit to her face, and the girl groaned. Lycan...this isn't....you right.... Esther could see the boot coming down a third time, and her body curled up into a ball, hands wrapping around her head. This time, there was no boot, no sudden pain. Esther tried to lift her head, but it hurt, thumping with the vertigo of constantly being struck. 

"A promise with a liar..." The words left his lips in a struggle. "Is a lie in itself."

She had only just managed to lift her head to him, but she was forced back, tumbling down the stairs with great force. Esther forced herself to her feet - knees trembling. "N-no..." She gasped, taking the stairs one step at a time. "Y-you -cough- said it yourself...I'm...s-s-stubborn..." she gasped, one eye half closed from the impact of his boot. Her face was bruised. Tears still streamed down her face. Yet...she still hadn't given up. She still hadn't retreated into her own ball away from him. Not this time I promised myself I wouldn't this time

Another step. "L-lycan."

Another step, "I -c-ca-*cough*

Then another step, and another, till she finally fell forward. hands reaching out to grasp the material of his shoulders. "I c-can't believe...this is you...please..."

Please

'It isn't me! Stop listening! Just.... Just go! Please!'

The girl stood despite his punishment. She weathered his rage like a storm and pressed herself into the headwind. His venomous words lashed out but she pleaded. She wanted to help him. She wanted to fix his pain. She cared.

"What's wrong with you?" Lycan growled, his hand reaching to Harbinger's hilt. 

'Oh god no...'

His eyes still glazed, he loosed the blade from its sheath and knocked her grip from his back. He spun about, placing Harbinger's tip mere inches from her.

"Why won't you give up?" While an anger still danced on his tongue, the faint notes of remorse lingered. "Would you do this for anyone? Are you really just that naive?"

With his free hand, Lycan opened his menu.

'Don't do it! Gods, don't do it!'

He navigated to the duel settings.

"You really want to put this to the test?!"

'Why are you doing this?! Stop it! STOP IT! STOP IT!'

He selected total loss, and hit accept. A window appeared in front of Esther.

"Prove to me how far you'll really go."

The redhead in the onlookers below spread a wild grin. The glare of his glasses blazing with ill intent and absolute amusement.

People say that heartbreak is painful, that it shakes someone to the core. Esther had never been truly in love with anyone, nor had she ever really experienced loss. she hadn't had any friends die, or abandon her. Her family was a close, well functioning unit, even with the divorce - it was a civil one. So Esther never quite understood that pain until now. Until she saw the red message flash before her eyes. 

A total loss duel.

The world around her grew silent, and it was as though she could hear her heart shattering. It's piecing falling into the void that had settled itself deep in her stomach, into her core. Esther wasn't sure how to cope with the sudden tight pain in her chest. She keeled over, clutching at her heart. Was she having a heart attack? Was this what pain and despair felt like? Is this how she made Lycan feel? Just as Esther thought her tears had stopped, they started again, as she blinked them away. This is how I made Lycan feel....? 

"I...if that's what will really help you." Esther rose a shivering hand to hit accept. Patrons began to quickly flee the tavern, others were glued tight to where they stood, in utter bewilderment at the girl's stupidity. At how she clearly had a death wish. Esther held her arms out wide, as wide as she could in the middle of the stairs. "I may be naive. I may be stupid. You can call me a liar...you can insult me however you want..." she shook her head, clutching tighter at her chest. "I-if this feeling...if this is how I made you feel...."

'I- I trust you Lye..." Her form shivered, shaking from fear - denouncing the words that she spoke. She was clearly frightened, petrified that she'd die here, and now. Still...she wouldn't have done so, if she didn't have faith. "If you want p-p-proof. I'm standing right here...Do what you want." She tried to offer him a smile, but it was only seconds before it faltered into a quivering lip.

Esther didn't want to die here.

She didn't want to loose another friend.

She didn't want Lycan to be in any more pain.

'Esther...'

"Tch, So be it. At least I'll have my answer." Lycan growled. He brought Harbinger to his chest, level with the girl and scowled.

'NOOO!'

ID# 68329 results: //BD: 5 (3+2)//

3... 2... 1... GO!

Lycan's blade hissed with Cardinal's assist system. With the same intensity and ferocity as he dispatched monsters, he rushed at the unarmed, helpless girl. His sword arm shot out and two vertical arcs (4 EN) severed locks of hair from her head. Wasting no beat, Lycan reached out and slammed his hand into her chest to grab a fistful of clothes. With the strength governed by the game, he lifted her into the air.

For a moment, he looked into her eyes, face marred by his uncontrolled actions. The look of regret filled the depths of his black pupils, framed by a fire of amber iris. Inside, Lycan struggled to regain control, his fist trembling as it suspended her. He pulled her close.

"If you're going to die..." he whispered into her ear. "At least it'll be by my hands."

He brought Harbinger level to her throat, a mirror of what he warned the commoner.

"That's enough!" From over the rail guards of the stairs, the steward from earlier thrust himself between the two. Immediately, the notice of "Duel Forfeit" displayed above them.

"This isn't your fight!" Lycan shouted, turning his blade on the stranger.

Instead of fleeing or bracing for the blow, the redhead gripped Lycan's coat and jerked him close. The sudden action forced Lycan to let Esther free of his grip. The remaining onlookers cried their concern for the girl while others moaned in disappointment. During which, the steward leaned in to Lycan's ear.

"Addel sends his regards..." he whispered, washed out by the commotion so only one man could hear.

Lycan froze, his body shaken. Eyes wide, he gasped as if rising from under water. He staggered and dropped to a knee. The strange feeling in the back of his mind became a rushing burn. His senses flooded with loud noise, light, and heat. He huffed heavily, trying to regain his grip on the world.

"Miss," the redhead said to the girl, helping her to stand. "You have to go, now. Quickly."

'Hnnngh..! It was... Damn it...!'

Lycan managed to look up, teeth bared, anger flared greater than before. His irises locked on the redhead as he tended to Esther, his gaze easily mistaken as hatred for her over the bastard that poisoned him.

"Erugh.." ESther was forced forward. Lycan grabbing the thin clothing she wore, curling it into his fist he lifted her up and over his head. Esther gripped his hand tightly, trying to pull it away from her chest. He was actually going to kill her...he wasn't joking...he wasn't holding back...she was going to die, she was going to die on the stairs and she wasn't able to say goodbye to anyone...she won't be able to see her friends, or her mother or father ever again... 

Esther cursed herself for being so stupid. For thinking, for hoping that Lycan - the Lycan she knew was in the raging ball of anger, but he wasn't. This was Lycan. So who...who was the person she knew before? Who was the silver haired youth who laughed at her jokes and helped her gather materials? Where did the teen with flushed cheeks go, the one who would scratch the back of his head and offer her an apology accompanied by a pat on the head? 

Esther forced her eyes shut, not wanting to look at the malevolence in his gaze. "Where's my Lycan...." She asked, voice cracking. Whatever Lycan had planned, whatever he wanted to do, he had won. Esther wasn't going to try any more. Her grip loosened on his, as she heard his threat to end her life. His very real, very promising threat. "Okay..." She finally fully released her grip, and her arms dangled at her sides. "For what its worth...I'm sorry."

She could feel the pointed tip of a blade at her neck, then suddenly, she fell. Collapsed on the steps. The woman groaned. As she opened her eyes she saw 'battle forfeit' across her screen. Confused Esther glanced up to see a man standing between her and Lycan. He muttered some words to Lycan before turning to her.

Esther reached out and clasped the redheaded mans hand. "T-Thanks..." She looked up past him at Lycan, and flinched at the look he was giving her. "He really hates me huh..."

"That's his loss." The red haired attended said, using this thumb to wipe away the tears that continued to stream down her face. "I'll hold him off for now. You need to leave. I'll find you in a moment. I apologize for not stepping in sooner." 

Esther listened to his words, but her eyes, wide in fear were locked with Lycan's. "R-Right..." she finally tore her eyes away from him. Sniffling she tried to tidy herself up as she pushed past the onlookers at the tavern. She burst through the doors to the world outside, and was immedietly hit with a cold chill. Esther shivered, wrapping her arms around herself. Glancing to the left and right. It was dark...dark....Esther didn't do well at night, alone...she hiccuped and wandered just two streets down before kneeling behind a wooden crate in an Alley just off of the road. She burried her head in her knees. Reaching up to clasp lilac hair into shaking fists. "H-he hates me..." She whispered.

That was two people now...Arc....and Lycan...two people she thought she was on friendly terms with, but had only hurt her in the end. Why do I keep doing this to myself Esther shivered, curling herself up into a tighter ball. Wishing for the world to just disappear. The pain in her chest was unbearable, Lycan's strike caused no physical pain. At least, she didn't think so - she couldn't be sure. It certainly felt like she had been stabbed in the chest.

Esther wept.

Lycan watched as Esther made for the door. His hand reached out and mouth opened, but nothing escaped.

"Woah there!" an unfamiliar voice called out. Lycan felt a strong arm throw him back and into a wall.

"I think you've done enough. Don't you?" Mused a familiar redhead that joined to pin his other arm.

Harbinger clattered down the stairs and vanished into a haze of data. Lycan's body felt heavy, and hot. His forehead had already grown damp as he listed his head toward the steward.

"I'll kill you..." Lycan managed in venomous tones.

"You'll leave that poor girl alone!" the stranger chided while the redhead just grinned and winked at the youth.

"Let's get him upstairs to his room," the server added.

"We should take him to the brig under the Palace," added the stranger.

"No no, that won't do. My... employer wouldn't want his reputation tarnished." The ginger and the stranger hoisted Lycan up and dragged him up the stairs. The teen's eyes looked out to the open door of the Inn where Esther ran. His hand tried to reach out, but his sensed denied him control of his body once more.

"201, here we are," the steward groaned. As one open the door the other pushed Lycan through. Together, they threw him on the bed. 

Lycan landed with a groan. The haze of whatever that potion was began to fade and the youth began to feel his limbs heed him.

"Whew, heavy kid, huh?" The stranger chuckled.

"Sure is, I could go for some water. How about you?" The sever produced a flask of water from his inventory. With a smile, he held it to the stranger and he accepted. A few gulps later, and the man slumped to the ground with a thud. The sound of shattering glass soon followed.

"Whew, now that he's out of the way. Your turn." The ginger grinned and produced a second flask. Gripping Lycan by the nose, he liberally poured the paralysis water into his mouth.  Lycan mustered the strength to grab at the man's suit. It was too late. The server clasped his hand over the teen's mouth and unable to breathe, Lycan swallowed the next batch of poison.

The night was silent, dark and cold. There wasn't any sounds, aside from a sob that emitted from the cresftallen girl every so often. It was so late, that even the roughians and hoodlums had turned in for the night. Leaving Esther utterly alone. "Stupid....stupid....stupid..." She hit her head against the wall with every time she said it. She was stupid for trusting Lycan. Stupid for letting him get close. Stupid for thinking he wouldn't go and kill her. He was such a strong combatant...Esther held him in such high regard...and where did that leave her?

If Lycan were to go and do this....who is to say that others wouldn't follow suit? What if Mari was lying about everything? What if Domarus was manipulating her too?

There were so many scenarios running through Esther's head, she was exhausted. Once she felt she couldn't hit her head against the wall any more she slumped forward. Eyes heavy. The ordeal of today had completely drained her. She knew it was bad to start falling asleep out in the open, but what did it matter? What did it matter if a stranger was going to kill her?

Lycan's limbs tingled and fell to the wayside. His health bar flashed yellow in the top left corner of his peripherals. He struggled to move, only capable of clenched teeth.

"Easy now..." The redhead sat next to Lycan on the bed, staring out the window to the streets. Nightfall had blackened the sky and only the faint light of the street lamps leaked through. The ginger held out his wrist to the teen so he could see what was transcribed on his flesh.

The symbol of two snakes, a scale, and a blade through the middle.

"Who are you?" Lycan managed through the strain of his body.

"Well that's no fun to outright tell you, is it? I'll give you a name though. Allison. Pleasure to meet you, Lycan," he said with a slender finger pressed against Lycan's nose.

"It's so fun when they're paralyzed," Allison mentioned as he wiggled around the teen's nose with Lycan unable to stop him. "Exhilarating even."

"Why did you do this?!" Lycan wanted nothing more than to leap out of the bed and run him through.

Allison sighed.

"Why mee..." he chided in musical tones. "I'll kill you... You're a monster... Wah, wah, wah... It's always the same with your types."

Allison stood and tilted his head to the collapsed stranger on the floor. The ginger put a finger on his own lips.

"Sleep PK?" he asked himself. "Naw... Not worth going orange."

Lycan struggled to move, his efforts looking more like twitches than thrashing.

"Well Lycan, it's been an honor, dear. We're off to go make your life more miserable. Maybe next time you think about who you threaten with that sword of yours, hmm?"

Allison made for the door and hung on the hinge for a moment.

"Bye-bye~!" and with a kiss and a wink, Allison shut the door and vanished.

Unable to move, stuck with the horrors of his actions, and deperately wanting to undo them, Lycan resorted to the only option available at the moment. And like the namesake of his avatar, the teen roared into the night at the top of his lungs, personifying his agony, remorse, and despair.

That was it...wasn't it?

Esther had done this to herself.

She was too busy, too wrapped up in her own happiness, in her own carefree attitude that she didn't see how it was adversely affecting those around her. She didn't see how much she had hurt Lycan. She wasn't sure if he was always that cruel and hateful, or if her actions made him snap. It certainly sounded like it was all her fault. Was this because she was too trusting? Was it because she was too intimate with him? It was only a kiss...but it seemed that's what spiralled everything out of control.

No...

even before that...he had crushed Evelyn's cup, he had towered over her, accusing her,calling her a liar. "I'm so sorry..." Esther whispered into herself.

A  muffled scream echoed in the distance, but it did little to shift Esther from her small, curled up ball of fear and self depreciation.

Irrepearable damage had been done that night, and the girl who was the self proclaimed beacon of light to those who needed it most, had her own so unceremoniously snuffed out.