[F3-NK-PP] What Started a Small Friendship. (Lessa)

The night winter wind were cold and unrelenting. The cold breezes blew against the trees, stripping the leaves from the branches, leaving behind nothing but bare woods, making the trees all the more frightening in this otherwise ominous forest. For those who would traveled to the misty desolated part of the third floor, they will find a small, cozy tavern. The dim light from the swaying lantern lit up the wooden sign. "Hakkasan Tavern" The name carved into the fine wood of the sign. It wasn't the best way to kickstart a new day, but Husky have had worse. Having a shop so far inside a moody place like this wasn't always the optimal decision to start a business, however, the place is a nice place to rest after a long day venturing around in SAO.

Resting on the old yet comfortable armchair just in front of the fireplace, Husky scan through the newspaper for any information regarding the events that's happening in AinCrad. Woofles rested just by his leg, enjoying the warmth from the gentle fire, as he took a nap after his supper. In times like these, Husky truly felt content. Maybe he could get accustomed to this lifestyle. Being stuck inside a game, where if you die, you died in real life as well does have an affect on people's morale. He would just have to learned how to cope with it, and continued on. 

Then, when he was least expected, the bell rang, as the door swung open. He had not expected a guest to find the tavern, not to mention this late in the day. "Please take a seat. I'll be with you at once." Getting up from his chair, he carried little Woofles into the back room, before placing the little Snow Wolf on his bed, as well as equipped the appropriate attire. Standing behind the bar, his face grew a gentle smile. He hoped that the scar on his eye wouldn't scare off whoever had come visit the tavern. "Hello. Welcome to Hakkasan's Tavern. How may I help you?"

"Hakkasan Tavern. Hakkasan." Lessa let the word roll off her tongue, marveling at how foreign it felt. She repeated it a couple more times, trying a few different variations of pronunciation. She had no idea which was correct, but after a few attempts, she determined the least she could do was pay the establishment a visit. While the third floor was far from her least favorite, it was not one that she often frequented; she had never before stumbled across this particular wooden sign, or the tavern it advertised. It was rare that the blonde find something new in Aincrad, and as such, she found herself eager to stop in. The cool breeze that swept past send dead leaves swirling about her feet, skipping across the stone walkway. The sign creaked eerily on its hinges, the lantern casting twisting shadows against the darkness. But the scene did not frighten Lessa. Rather, she found that the atmosphere only added to the building's charm. It was a dark and stormy night, she mused, lips twisting into a small smile.

When Lessa opened the door, and a bell rang out cheerfully from overhead, her smile grew. The tavern was much smaller than most she frequented, but what it lacked in space, it more than made up for in charm. A small fire cracked and popped in one corner, its heat and light filling the room. The tables and chairs were well-worn, but also well-kept. The place was clean, another stark contrast between it and most similar venues. It was also empty, which, at the moment, suited Lessa just fine. She relished the still quiet.

Following the friendly barkeep's orders, the blonde perched herself atop a stool, her arms draping comfortably on the bar before her. It took only a moment for the man to return, and when he did, her gaze was immediately drawn to the scar that traced across his face. Though he was likely her age, the injury left him looking far older, and somehow, more rugged. But his smile was soft, and gentle, and she scolded herself for looking at his scar before anything else. Her blue eyes moved to meet his. "Hi there," she replied. "I'm just looking for something warm, at the moment. You wouldn't happen to have any hot chocolate, would you?"

"Well I'll be damn... She's one marvelous girl." Husky was impressed. Never in his mind would he thought of this- A young and beautiful girl like her walking into the establishment at a time like this. Her golden hair matched the royalty of the High Elf in Delilah, her gentle sapphire blue eyes glimmered under the lantern light. Her face was stunning, not to mention her angelic-like voice. Shook away those thoughts, Husky paid close attention to the newly met guest. He noticed her gaze fixated onto his scar. However, he paid no mind on that subject matter. Many people have done the same, and as time progress, the brunette had learned to take notice, and grew out of that pesky little thing, learned how to ignore it. Husky had thought that someone as magnificent as her should've be in somewhere more elegant than this small tavern of his, especially during a cold night like this. Nonetheless, everyone is a guest at anytime, and the girl should not be any different. 

"One hot cocoa, coming right up." Husky nodded, his smile stayed bright, as he swiftly get to work. The ingredients were all readied to serve, and the recipe require rather few level to craft. The high quality cocoa from Amazon Folly added the unique flavor to the cocoa. Within moments, the brew was complete. "Thanks the game for the cooking mechanics." Husky spoke under his breath. Oh his hand, a cup of hot chocolate with waffles dipped, and a small cream topping swirl on top. "Here you go. One cup of hot cocoa." The brunette bartender smile, set the cup down just before the customer. "It's awfully late to be travelling out into this dark corner of the floor, don't you think?" If you don't mind, may I ask what brings a benevolent flower such as yourself to a place like this?" Husky asked, his eyebrow raised in interest and curiosity. 

Edited by Husky

He's awfully friendly, Lessa mused with a quiet appreciation. She imagined that, even if she stayed in Aincrad for the rest of her life, she would never meet every single player. Of course, spending her remaining years in the game was not a pleasant thought, but the fact still stood. Every single day, she could see a new face, or make a new acquaintance. Or, as was the case that evening, stumble into a new tavern. But she was finding that fewer and fewer individuals were exercising even the most basic manners, let alone going out of their way to be especially kind. In truth, she could not blame them; being imprisoned in this floating castle had a way of dampening even the happiest player's mood. But these glimpses of genuine kindness were like warm days in a dark, frigid winter.

When the man reemerged, and planted a mug of steaming hot chocolate before her, she could not stifle her girlish squeal of delight. She might have paused to be embarrassed by the outburst, but she was too excited by the drink. "Oh, wow," Lessa murmured, "this is too pretty to eat." Her fingertip delicately poked at the treat that embellished the drink. "Is this a waffle? I've never seen that before!" When she glanced up from her drink, and met the barkeep's eyes, hers were dancing.

At his question, some of that heat finally warmed her cheeks. Benevolent flower? "Nothing special," she answered truthfully, loosing a small shrug. "Just wandering. I like how things look after dark. Far fewer people. And the quiet is nice." 

Seeing the girl getting so excited when he presented her order had Husky chuckled slightly. It almost reminded of someone he used to hang out with back in England, before his trip to Tokyo, which ultimately landed him in this virtual prison. It's a refreshing sight to see, allowed him to reminisced of his childhood. "Well, If you like it so much, I could make you more, free of charge. But it's best that you drink it while it still hot. It's a cold night outside." The bartender let out a small laugh, as he was giving his offer to the girl. He returned with a friendly look, hoping that maybe, she would like to taste the pastry he made as well. 

He could notice that the girl was flustering a little, seeing her cheeks slowly turning pink. "Ah. I could understand. After all, you must get a lot of attention." Husky replied when she explained her reason for stumbling across his place. At that moment, he realized that he had forgotten something rather important. "Right! Where are my manners... Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Husky. It's a pleasure to meet you." He smiled. His hand placed over his chest, as he bowed, greeting the newly met customer. "What might your name be, if you don't mind me asking?" The brunette bartender resumed. 

• 2 weeks later...

At the boy's offer, Lessa's eyes widened with surprise. "Oh no," she countered, "I couldn't ask you to give me the hot chocolate for free. Seriously, something that tastes this good is worth the col." She swiveled atop her chair, gaze wandering to the window for a brief moment. It was difficult to see much of anything, as the sky bereft of moon or stars shed little light on their virtual world. But occasionally, the window panes rattled with a particularly wild gust of cold, autumn air. The sight prompted a shiver from the girl, even though she was warmed through by the nearby fire. "Its a very cold night," she agreed, taking a long sip of her drink as if to protect from the chill.

When the man spoke again, she eyed him curiously over the edge of her mug. When she set it down on the wood bar, she also gave a very unladylike snort. "Attention?" she echoed, pausing to shake her head in furious disagreement. Her long hair cascaded over her shoulder and into her face, and she shoved it back with a quick, practiced motion. "Not much attention on my end," she told him, "which is how I prefer it. I spent a lot of time surrounded by others, and since then, I've come to appreciate my own company." Then, with a devilish smile, she added, "and the company of a few others, like yourself."

She mirrored his movements, though her small bow was a bit awkward, as she was seated. "Nice to meet you, Husky. My name is Lessa."

Edited by Lessa

"Well, my offers always stand if you changed your mind. It's only a small gift, considering holiday season is just around the corner." The brunette boy smiled. It's the simplest details that got his attention most of the time. How her arms shivered when she gazed outside. The misty forest continued howling long and eerie howls, as the wind flew. "True that." The boy agreed with the girl. He continued, "It's amazing how the person who had created this place has done such a good job creating a world so close to ours, but yet intended for such a malevolent scheme. It's a shame, how the mastermind can become such a villain..." letting out a long sigh. Husky could see that he's going to ruin the night with such saddening thoughts if he continues. Clear his voice, he let the conversation steer to a different subject. 

Husky chuckled lightly in his breath when he saw Lessa's reaction to his statement, his hand used to cover his mouth with polite manner. The boy would have never thought someone like her -a girl with such beauty, manner along with being smart and kind- would enjoy being alone. Then, somehow, he had expected that. "I see. If you wish, you can always seek some lone time here. Not many dwells this far out to this area, not that I blame them. The mist can be a pain to navigate at times." The bartender shrugged, giving Lessa some suggestion of a quiet place to go when she wish to be alone. "The tavern is always open for anyone seeking shelter, protection, or just simply a warm drink." 

The night was still young. The moon has yet to reach its peak; already, it felt like past midnight. With the weather continued restlessly, Husky was glad that someone had stumbled across his place and paid a visit. Otherwise, it would have been a long night.

"It is, isn't it?" Lessa replied, regarding the holiday season. The thought widened the smile she wore, and she cupped the mug between her palms, relishing the cheery warmth it brought her. "It has always been my favorite time of year," she informed him unabashedly. "Even though I'm twenty-something, Christmas gets me like a little kid again." Her blue eyes twinkled. "I started listening to Christmas music months early. Seriously, I'm talking before Halloween. It drove my brothers crazy."

The blonde paused long enough to drink the hot chocolate, and a beat longer to appreciate the rich taste. Then, "I miss that." Her expression was still lit by happiness, but there was a twinge of longing in her tone that could not go unnoticed. "The traditions. Buying a tree from the firefighters to support the station. Eating caramels with cashews in them. Watching Jim Carrey's Grinch." Only then did her smile falter. "There isn't much time for that sort of thing around here."

There was a sharp crack from the hearth, and a charred branch crumbled and fell. "But," she continued suddenly, "I guess this is an opportunity to make new traditions. Like coming in here. And drinking this." She leveled her gaze on Husky. "Screw the mist. I'll definitely be finding my way back here. So long as that's okay with you."

• 2 weeks later...

Husky could feel Lessa's compassion and love for Christmas through her small talks about her family traditions on this time of the year. Along with that, he also felt her desires to join her family on this Holiday to celebrate with them, and her grievances because she wasn't able to, being confined in this virtual prison. He could tell that Lessa missed home. Who wouldn't? But then, due to circumstances, none could leave this place, not until the final boss is defeated.

Then, Husky was stunned when Lessa suggested going to his tavern every Christmas. He would never think that someone would suggest something like that. It almost make him jump from where he was standing. "Uh...Um... Of course. The tavern doors is always open for any one. But you should be advice, the mist can be cold in the winter." Husky calmed himself. Fixing his bow tie, he resumed eye contact with his guest. "But if you're willing to come," The brunette continued, reassured himself. "then my place is always open for anyone, good or bad."