[PP-NK-F4] A Chilly Meeting (Morgenstern)

Nathan was sitting on a rock just outside of Armadillo on the fifth floor, huddled in his dark clothes and thinking deeply about this world. It had been so long since he had truly started on his journey and he had levelled up quite a bit considering that he was alone through most of it. Nathan brought his hand up and opened his menus, looking through his stats, most of which had increased. He glanced at his friends, the number next to that tab pitifully low. There was only one name that was stored in and it was a name that he rarely called upon. Only once had they really adventured together yet that person was Nathan's most trusted ally in this world. Nathan opened the friends tab and looked at the name. Morgenstern, an ally for a brief amount of time but still the closest thing to a friend Nathan had ever had, in this world and the real one. The message system popped up and Nathan's fingers hesitated over the keyboard. Then he typed up a brief message...

To: Morgenstern

Jonathan,

I hope that the game is treating you well. Was just curious where you were? I thought it would be nice if we met up once again. For old times sake.

Sincerely,
Nathan

and sent it. It had been so long since they had met, Nathan was not even sure if Jonathan would want to see him again. So, Nathan kicked at the sand and rocks of the desert floor, awaiting a response from an old friend.

Jonathan sat on the fourth floor with a smile. It had been a long while since he had ventured onto this floor. He had remained busy with many other floors trying to quickly gain levels so he could participate and tank in the frontlines. It was a long journey, but he had to make it. The entire players of Aincrad and the frontlines depended on it. Today was just for... Beep... Jonathan opened his eyes as he received a message. Itzal... You have kept me busy all freakin... As he opened his messenger, he realized it was indeed not Itzal, but his first ally and friend in Aincrad. It was Nathan. Jonathan smiled as he went through the message twice. The message seemed... reluctant. Almost a bit afraid. Jonathan shrugged the thought off and quickly sent a message in return. The blond smiled as he pressed send, and waited for a reply. He was a bit excited. He had not seen this player in month's. He wondered how strong the player was now. He waited silently, but excitedly. 

To Creius

From Morgenstern

I am doing quite well, thank you. I am on the fourth floor in Snowfrost town, I was just taking a break, a few of my friends and guildmates have recently been keeping me on my toes. I would be glad to be able to meet up with you again if that is fine. If you are not okay with the cold, I know a place where we can get a bite, and stay warm.  

Nathan was bathing in the sun when he heard a notification go off from the system. His eyes snapped open and he noticed that it was a message, probably a reply. Nathan opened the message and stood up from where he sat and headed towards Armadillo so he could teleport to the floor below.

To: Morgenstern

I am glad to here it. It is good that you have kept yourself busy. I will be in Snowfrost in but a few minutes. If you know of a comfortable and warm place to rest I would appreciate it. I do not really enjoy the cold but I believe it is high time that I actually talk to someone. Would you mind meeting me by the teleport gate?

Nathan entered the old town of Armadillo and stroll through it quickly, coming upon the teleport gate in the plaza of the rustic town. Nathan tugged his dark leather coat tighter around his chest, not really ready for the bone-chilling cold that he remembered from his previous visit to the floor. At the very least, having company for a few brief moments would make it all worthwhile. Nathan closed his eyes, trying his best to absorb what heat he could from the unrelenting sun of the desert floor, then said, "Teleport, Fourth Floor" and saw the brilliant white light that came with the fast travel. A fraction of a second later, Nathan's teeth were chattering inside of his mouth as the cold of the fourth floor bit his skin. Nathan tugged his coat even tighter around him, trying to get some comfort but none was to be had, and looked around for a familiar face of a friend long missed.

Jonathan smiled as he heard another noise indicating a message. Reading it quickly, he stood from his frozen stone seat, and jumped off, landing in a crouch. As he jumped toward the ground his whit and gold unzpped Jacket flew up like a kite. He landed easily on the ground and from there he sprang forward with new purpose and reason. As he raced over, a flash of blue was caught in his vision and seen the figure of Creius create itself. Jonathan smiled and noticed the man looking around, unlucky for him, he was facing in the wrong direction. He seemed to be chattering, like he was about to freeze. Jonathan laughed and said, A bit cold are we? You look as if you are about to freeze to death. Jonathan walked in front of the man and smiled. It really is nice to see you, but come along before you freeze to death. Jonathan walked off in the direction of Frosty's. It was only a minute or so's walk away from the pad. Jonathan held the door open for his friend and motioned for his friend to pick a booth or seat. So, how has it been? I have wondered what happened to you all this time. I would have probably looked myself, but lately I have been very busy with training, a guild, and many othr players. Jonathan smiled, sitting across from his friend. A few minutes and the waiter should be arriving. 

Nathan turned to the voice and saw the familiar face of Jonathan walk in front of him. "Why yes, I am freezing. I am more comfortable in the floor above than here. The cold is too unforgiving." Nathan gave a small smile, feeling a little better in having come down to meet his old friend. He followed after Jonathan towards one of the larger cottages and entered the establishment, enjoying the sudden warmth of the fire washing over his covered body. "Oh, that is so much better. It has been well, thanks for asking. I have been keeping myself busy, mostly just wandering around and exploring than anything else. I have levelled up a little but nothing terribly high, it slowed for a while. I am glad to find you in a guild. I am sure it's nice to have allies to have your back in this world." Nathan sat down across from Jonathan and had a look around Frosty's. It was quaint, a warm little pub for adventurers to enjoy some relaxation. When a boisterous waiter came to their table, Nathan ordered a glass of water and some fresh bread. He turned to his old friend and rubbed his hands together. "What about you? What has kept you so busy over this time? You speak of a guild, this is new to me. And helping others, too. Sounds like you have reached a pretty high point in this game." Nathan smiled softly, warming his hands and thinking about how little he himself had done in the way of getting stronger. He would make up for it eventually.

Edited by Creius

Jonathan watched as Nathan picked a seat, and Jonathan sat across from the man. Seconds later, the waitress came and the man ordered bread. The woman looked confused, but silently jotted stuff down and took his order. The man seemed a bit jostled when he put out all this new information out. I am not just a member, I am quite actually the founder and one of its many heads. I am the Tank Paladin, and I shape the guild and make decisions with three others. I will be quite surprised now if you haven't heard of us now, three weeks ago, not surprised but now, very surprised. We have been to be known as quite the uprising guild, and now one of the best in Aincrad. We are the Celestial Ascendants, a guild that is created to raise the levels of players espically lower leveled ones, but we accept all levels. At the moment, our guild member level average is probably around 20. That does not include out Paladin's though. Jonathan smiled to his friend, the man deducted that he had gotten to a high point in the game. Not really, I am just the the meeting point of frontliners and normal players. I have been working hard, because I will soon be expected to tank the boss especially for my guild members. Jonathan chuckled. He was in fact a bit nervous, but he made contact with his friend. Enough about me, how have you been?

Nathan nodded slightly as the guild's name made a slight connections with other conversations he had over heard recently. He was not much for conversation so his source of information was other's, usually the loud patrons of the inns he rested at. It was shocking to learn that Jonathan had founded the guild, though, that he had not heard prior. Nathan looked upon his friend, wondering just how far the young man had come since they had last met on the second floor for the <<Long Live the Queen>> quest a while back. He must be rather strong if he were a dedicated tank for a guild and confronting bosses at this point and here Nathan was, struggling to get his damage to the point he needed it. Nathan nodded slightly when Jonathan turned the conversation towards him. "Oh, I have been quite well. Alive for starters, that I am grateful for. I have been training myself, trying to get to where I feel I should be to take part in the frontlines. A lot of questing by myself and farming late at night but it is pleasant. The monotony of farming easier mobs gives me plenty of time to think, though the harder ones I focus on. My progress slowed down for a while but I plan on revamping my efforts and really grinding out some levels and beefing up my damage output." Nathan attempted a small smile, the expression feeling foreign on his face. It had been quite a while since he had truly spoken to anyone but it felt nice to become reacquainted with his old friend again. "Hopefully it will not be too much longer until I am up there but who knows. I am going to be cautious and make sure I make it rather than rush and get myself killed."  Nathan nodded slowly once again, pondering over the near future and all that he would have to accomplish in order to achieve his goal. It was a lot of work but the way would be found, that much he knew. "Thanks for meeting me today, I really need more company. I think I may be spending too much time out on my own, about the most I talk is with Hector. Is there any reason you were on the third floor? For someone that has come so far, I would have guessed you to be on a higher level, fighting towards the front or getting ready for that boss you mentioned." Nathan's eyes fell upon Jonathan, his cold blue eyes studying his old friend and contemplating how successful it had been. It did not really shock Nathan, he would have guessed Jonathan to have been the most successful of the three of them, but it was still interesting to actually see the results after all this time.

Jonathan watched as Nathan nodded and began to talk about himself for a bit. He had been training solo as well taking quests here and there mostly keeping to himself. Jonathan shrugged. Nathan did not seem like the one to solo all the time and venture alone. Jonathan thought that he would have been the one to be the solo man. He had nver found it easy to make friends because he never really got any social contact. Then it was Nathan's turn to ask a question. If he was training for the frontlines, then why was he down here. To answer  that, I have been training hard all week, and this is one of my favorite floors and I just needed a break. There are times when you can't just keep training non-stop or else you will burn out. Jonathan's eyes met Nathan's, and Jonathan rested his hand on his leg. Nathan did not need to go around soling anymore. Things were starting to get solo in as they progresseed through the game. Jonathan liked a bit of soloing here and there but it was unsafe to do it all the time alone. 

Nathan nodded at the wise statement from Jonathan and nodded in agreement to it. He had been very careful in trying not to burn himself out, which was mainly why he was here right now, to relax. It was interesting to note that his friend chose the frozen wasteland as his favourite location, though. A bit of contrast between them and it only made Nathan wonder at what that could betray about the man to Nathan. "I agree with you on not burning out, that is probably the only reason I am still alive. Your choice of floor is very interesting. As I told you earlier, I am more comfortable in the barren wasteland of the fifth floor than this one. Reminds me too much of my homeland, though. If I choose to relax I generally do so on the third floor. It also serves as a nice training area from time to time with the Forest of Wavering Mist. Both are still warmer than here. Do you live in a cold region in the other world?" Nathan looked at Jonathan inquisitively, now curious about the man that he was sitting with. Nathan really knew little about this man, they had just started out together and ended up not killing each other so Nathan had trusted him. His mind was now not accepting that, maybe the long secluded hours and some of the things he had seen and heard of in this world making his mind change.

Jonathan took a sip of his water as Nathan talked. He seemed ot agree about not burning out and training too hard. If you did that, then you would hate training and find it as a burden. That was a way to go inactive and sit around. Many people were beginning to do that recently. The main ones that it affected would be the Knights of the Blood Oath. Apparently their 2nd in command had vanished and their actual commander was only to be seen at  boss fights. They had no system to replace officers, which was killing them. His guild however had run into multiple problems but their type of rule was standing splendidly. Forest of Wavering Mist eh? I don't like that forest much. I almost died there once. The Worn out Welcome quest is very dangerous for those who don't have mitigation. I had to save someone last week, who was attempting it. They had it almost dead, but one of their players in the party was two hits from dead. Something tells me, that he would have died. Jonathan looked out the window watching the snowflakes fall. No, I don't live in a cold area. We live out in a manor. Doesn't really ever get cold except for a month and a half or so. My room has always been kept cold. Jonathan smiled to his friend. I have another question. What build are you shooting for? Damage Dealer perhaps?