[SP-F2] Growing Strength Proven? (Complete)

On Floor 2 was the city of Urbus, where the second floor teleport plaza was located. Looking around, it was easy to see stone and brick all around, the structures taking the likeness to medieval Europe. At the center of the city's plaza was the teleport platform where Vargas had just materialized. Looking around Vargas noticed the details of the city. Once again, Kayaba really went into detail with the cities and floors, Vargas thought. He sighed as he ignored the scenery. He didn't come here to enjoy nice views and the modeled structures. Vargas wondered down the streets, looking at the available wares for NPC and Player shops alike. He didn't find much he liked at this time but, with the continued exploration of floors, he knew that there'd be better gear eventually. If he wanted to, he could always go get his own gear and try appraising it to see if he could find anything better.

Edited by Vargas

I think I've seen enough of these shops, Vargas thought, sighing at not finding anything he wanted. Some better gear would be great, if it meant beating these mobs faster with him not losing as much health. Vargas opened his menu and made sure to equip his new pendant that Row had given him. It was called a <<Nullifying Pendant>>, though it didn't seem to mitigate damage or prevent status effects. It actually provided a better chance of him dodging the opponents attacks. He still had the <<Iron Breastplate>> she'd left with him at the shop. It definitely helped reduce the amount of damage he'd taken a number of times.

Exiting the city, Vargas saw the forestry that existed on the flat plateaus of the mountains. "Well, looks like I'm going in there. Better not be any dark elves," Vargas said to himself as he recalled the last dark elf he'd fought.

Vargas entered the forest as he recalled that event. He'd located a tank to help him since he knew he couldn't take the damage without dying quickly. That's when he'd met Row, his now business partner. She was supposed to take the aggro but instead she could hardly hit the dark elf, resulting in him taking aggro. If it wasn't for Morgenstern, Jonathan, having shown up, Vargas very well would have likely died. Hell, he'd lost an arm from the amount of damage he took in one hit from the dark elf. Once Jonathan showed up, the fight went match easier too. Row was able to even hit it and dealt a bleed effect on it. After they were saved, they'd been able to leave the forest and turned in the quest for Vargas to obtain his <<Leather Coat>>. It wasn't anything special but it was useful. Now he had better gear than that, though he should try appraising that piece as well to see what he might get.

Vargas was brought out of his thoughts by a Forest Creeper that happened to be on its own. He drew his blade ready to fight. This will be a good chance to test myself, Vargas thought. Readying his Anneal Blade, Vargas charged one of his new sword skills, <<Vertical Arc>>, and launched forward at the Forest Creeper. He brought his blade down on the mob from the right and reversed back up toward the left, forming a V pattern. The spider mob was knocked back from the attack and grew pissed at having been indiscriminately attacked. It retaliated once it locked on it's aggressor and leaped at him, baring it's pincers to attack. However, Vargas was able to dodge under it. Spinning around to face the mob again he steadied his sword and readied for a second attack. He'd at least gotten in the first hit and dealt some decent damage to the mob. A little short of thirty percent of it's health had been drained. Looking at his blade he thought it might be time to upgrade it or replace it for extra damage.

ID #72628

BD: 10 (9 + 1 ACC) Crit +1 Damage

DMG: 16 ((3 + 1 Crit) x 4)

MD: 3 (5 - 2 Eva)

Vargas 160/160 HP 12/16 Energy

Forest Creeper 64/80 HP

Edited by Vargas

Vargas recalled the first time he had fought in SAO. He'd decided to go after the Anneal Blade, of course it didn't take long before another player joined him. The player, CaptainUndead, helped him greatly when obtaining the weapon. It helped Vargas get himself setup with some better equipment and he still used that Anneal Blade to this day. It was great then, but it was probably time to switch it out. Raising his Anneal Blade he unleashed his <<Vertical Arc>>. However, the Forest Creeper was able to dodge the attack by skittering to the side. Vargas recovered quickly to block it's own pincer attack with his blade. Pushing the spider back and kicking it's underside he was able to disengage from the mob. He reset his stance as he prepared to fight again. He was able to deal with this mob better than the old ones. This time, he was actually winning the fight on his own without getting his butt handed to him.

ID #72631

BD: 4 (3 + 1 ACC)

MD: 5 (7 - 2 Eva)

Vargas 160/160 HP 9/16 Energy

Forest Creeper 64/80 HP

Edited by Vargas

He'd made a couple....friends? Acquaintances? He had no real idea as what to classify them as. Row was definitely a...friend, or was she just a business partner? He didn't know the answer to that himself. They definitely had helped him along his journey though. Wether keeping him alive or just providing him assistance. He still had a lot to figure out for himself but he was grateful for their assistance. Thinking about this, Vargas unleashed his attack once more. The attack caused the the spider to lose two of it's from legs. Sadly, this didn't prevent the mob from attacking him and sinking it's pincers into him. Vargas was able to take very little damage as his armor prevented the spider's pincers from breaking through and dealing more damage. His health dropped by only a small sliver, leaving him with plenty of health. The spider, however, was closer towards hitting fifty percent of it's health.

ID #72690
BD: 8 (7 + 1 ACC)
DMG: 12 (3*4)
MD: 6 (8 - 2 Eva)

Vargas 158/160 HP 6/16 Energy

Forest Creeper 52/80 HP

Edited by Vargas

Once more, Vargas used his <<Vertical Arc>> sword skill on the spider. However, both strikes missed it completely leaving open for the spider to attack. Though, Vargas was able to quickly recover and smacked the spider aside with the hilt of his sword. "Why is it that even though it's harder for you guys to kill me, I still can't f*cking hit you guys," Vargas said, slightly annoyed. The spiders health was only down about forty percent and his own was perfectly fine, yet he seemed to miss the freaking thing more often then not. "I definitely need to upgrade my equipment," he sighed as he parried another attack from the spider's pincer and tried to slash at it in return, only to fail. It reminded him of when he'd tried to fight a bunch of boars on the first floor and Calrex had appeared to help eliminate the last boar before he'd died. If he hadn't, well, Vargas would've likely not been around for very long.

ID #72697
BD: 5 (4 + 1 ACC)
MD: 1 (3 - 2 Eva)

Vargas 158/160 HP 6/16 Energy

Forest Creeper 52/80 HP

Edited by Vargas

"Why do I keep thinking about all those different people," Vargas wondered aloud, closing his eyes in thought. He shook his head of these thoughts. There was no point in getting himself distracted. It would only result in trouble for himself. There was only one person he cared about and they weren't here, not in this world....or the other. Vargas opened his eyes and glared at the Forest Creeper.
"Well? What are you waiting for? Come at me," Vargas taunted the creature, annoyed at himself. The taunt appeared to work as the mob charged forward and attempted to bite into him. He parried the pincers and shifted to the side. "Take this," Vargas unleashed the same sword skill on the thing. This time, instead of the usual color graphics he was used to he saw the sword flash red. The attacked flashed through the spider's thorax, dealing higher damage than usual. Was that a critical? Vargas wondered as the mobs health was drained further.

ID #72813
BD: 11 (10 + 1)
DMG: 20 ((3 + 2)*4)
MD: 1 (2 - 2)

Vargas 158/160 HP 3/16 Energy

Forest Creeper 32/80 HP

Edited by Vargas

Pushing the sudden change in his sword skill's graphic effects out of his mind Vargas watched for the mob's next attack. It seemed to be weary of him at this point. It was in the yellow, just past the fifty percent mark, so it was probably rearranging its tactics based off given algorithms. Though, that was unlikely, as most mobs kept to a set method, while bosses were the ones that generally swapped out fighting styles. It didn't take long before the mob attacked, still using the same method, leaping forward with it's pincers poised to sink into him. He tried to block it but it seemed ready and dived for his legs instead. It got a hold of him but was soon knocked of by Vargas's sword skill slicing through it. Multiple wounds were on the Forest Creeper's body, while on two puncture marks, arm and leg, existed on Vargas.

ID #72814
BD: 8 (7 + 1)
DMG: 12 (3 * 4)
MD:8 (10 - 2)
DMG: 2 (20 - 18)

Vargas 156/160 HP 0/16 Energy

Forest Creeper 20/80 HP

Edited by Vargas
  • 2 weeks later...

Vargas steadied his footing as he grew tired. He had no more energy for his strongest sword skill, which meant he'd have to rely purely on the most basic once, his <<Vertical Slash>>. Vargas gripped his handle as he activated his sword skill. The spider decided to attack at that moment, trying to prevent his strike. It charged at him, it's pincers ready to strike. Leaping into the air, the spider aimed for Vargas, but was sent flying over him as he unleashed his <<Vertical Slash>> from below it. It wasn't very effective but it did keep it away. I need to figure out what I'm gonna do,  I it's gonna take even longer at this pace, Vargas thought. He had plenty of health, but there was no point in hunting monsters if it took him so long to kill them. He shifted his weight back as the mob got back up and looked ready to go again.

ID #73887
BD: 6 (5 + 1)
DMG: 3
MD: 1 (3 - 2)

Forest Creeper 17/80 HP

Edited by Vargas

Once again, the two struck at each other again. Vargas took the initiative and charged the spider himself before unleashing his sword skill once more. It was only able to leave another minor wound, causing it's health to slowly trickle down further. Beating this isn't proving to be too hard. Just time consuming, Vargas thought with a sigh. He looked around the forest area for a moment, still taking note of the mobs position. Perhaps I could try searching through her and see if I can find a dungeon or treasure. It'd be more rewarding than this at least, he thought before drawing his thoughts back to his opponent. It was currently down to less than twenty percent and all he could do was whittle down its health slowly. Vargas looked at his blade wondering if he might get that same color effect from before if he got a crit, or would it be different. Either way it''d be good if he got a few to end this fight quickly.

ID #74137
BD: 8 (7 + 1)

Forest Creeper 14/80

Edited by Vargas

With the thoughts of the time consuming fight presiding in Vargas's mind he watched as the spider came at him once more, likely pissed at how many times it'd be blocked, kicked, slashed, and knocked around by it's opponent. Vargas attempted to block the attack with another <<Vertical Strike>> but when he shifted his stance forward with one foot in preparation, he found his foot slide out from under him. This caused the spider to go right over him and his own attack to fail as the target was out of range. "Seriously?! I slipped?!" Vargas yelled at, what could be assumed, Kayaba, for the game mechanics chance of him slipping on grass. Sure, the guy wanted realistic reality in this virtual one, but slipping on grass just seemed redundant. He got up quickly and swung out at the spider, causing it to back up further, providing Vargas more distance between the two.

ID #74138
BD: 4 (3 + 1)
MD: 5 (7 - 2)

Edited by Vargas

Vargas checked his grip on his blade and his footing. He noticed that the grass was still wet with morning dew this close to the outskirts of the forest. So that's why my footing slipped, Vargas noted to himself. He took a breath to calm himself down. It was no use fighting if he lost his head over that mistake. "You know, if we could, I'd like to end this as quick as possible," Vargas said to the spider. He didn't expect it to response but he definitely heard a 'hiss' sort of sound come from it as if agreeing. Vargas charged forward at the Forest Creeper with his sword skill ready. As he came within distance of the spider he unleashed his sword skill, cutting of one of it's pincers. The spider hissed furiously at Vargas and tried to retaliate but was unable to effectively hit him with its single pincer.

ID #74231
MD: 1 (1 - 2)

Forest Creeper 11/80 HP

Edited by Vargas

The fight continued on, Vargas parried another blow from the spider, only to miss his own assault upon the mob. "I thought I was stronger but instead I'm just as I was," Vargas scoffed at his own inability to beat this collection data. When he thought about it, each time he fought a mob, he was fighting for his life. The mob too, capable of respawning as it was, but this exact collection of data was its own being. It, too, was fighting for its own existence. Sighing, Vargas parried another blow from the spider before pushing forward for his own attack. Once again, however, he was unable to land a direct hit. "After this, I think I need to get a drink. This is just fraying my nerves and driving me nuts," he remarked to himself. When he thought about it, was it possible to even get drunk? For that matter, would it let him since he was not quite of age?

ID #74360
BD: 5 (4 + 1)

Edited by Vargas

I need to think of a way to take out this thing sooner, rather than laster, Vargas thought. Looking around at the terrain for something, anything, he could use to his advantage. After a bit, he couldn't find much, besides the trees. Though, that was a given as he was in a forest. Shifting backwards, Vargas attempted to draw the spider with so as to get it trapped near the tree. It followed along without leashing which allowed for Vargas to make use of his idea. Raising his blade, he slashed down using his <<Vertical Slash>> sword art once more. This time he was able to hit the mob without it moving away Emily as it found itself stuck in the alcove of the tree. "Now I just need to whittle down it's health a couple more times and we'll be finished," Vargas said, feeling slightly triumphant at his plan working.

ID #74832

Vargas 156/160 HP 0/16 Energy

Forest Creeper 8/80 HP

Edited by Vargas

His blade came down on to the Forest Creeper once more, reducing it's health that much closer to zero. Two hits in a row so far. That much closer to finishing this off and getting a drink. However, the spider was none too happy itself at being backed into a corner and being prodded and slashed at. Hissing at Vargas, it leapt forward and caught its single pincer into his collar and bit hard, draining his own health down. "GAH!" Vargas yelled, not enjoying the painful sensation of being bit into. Swiftly raising his free arm and lifting the spider off of himself just enough, he threw it back into the alcove. With his hand on the bite area, he pointed his blade at the mob. "Damn that hurt. Let's end this already so I can be on my way."

ID #74847
BD: 8 (7 +1)
MD: 8 (10 - 2)

Vargas 154/160 HP 0/16 Energy

Forest Creeper 5/80 HP

Edited by Vargas

With the spider cut off from being able to escape, Vargas attacked the mob once more. His blade cut through it easily and drained its health even further. At this point its health bar was hanging on by the smallest increment. The spider kept moving into the alcove, attempting to run away but only running into the wall. "Sorry, but you aren't getting away at this point. After this, I'm grabbing a drink thanks to this fight." Vargas said as the spider continued to attempt to run. It made him feel somewhat bad, but in the end, it was going to be him or the creature. He had to win more fights, get much stronger, then he could help others get out. He needed to get to the front lines so he could help push for the 100th floor, but to get there he needed more and more experience and better gear.

ID #75809
BD: 10 (9 + 1)
DMG: 4 (3 + 1)
BD: 5 (7 - 2)

Vargas 154/160 HP 0/16 Energy

Forest Creeper 1/80 HP

Edited by Vargas

As Vargas had these thoughts running through his mind, his attention to the spider was slipping. It tried to move past him to get away, but his attention wasn't that far gone. "No you don't. I'm ending this now," Vargas said as he blocked the mobs escape with his blade. The spider didn't seem to take to kindly to this as it leapt at Vargas and bit him once more. At this point, it seemed to act like a stray dog that'd been backed into a corner. Vargas waved his arm around as he tried to shake the spider off of him. "Seriously?! Again?" he exclaimed as he pried the spider off of him. He threw the spider away from him and looked at the red puncture marks. "This is becoming really annoying." As he was truly distracted this time the spider made a run for it. "Hey, get back here"

ID #75831
BD: 4 (3 + 1)
MD: 6 (8 - 2)
DMG: 2 (20 - 18)

Vargas 154/160 HP 0/16 Energy

Forest Creeper 1/80 HP

Edited by Vargas

The spider continued to run, not heeding Vargas's words as it wanted to stay alive. It tried to get away and disappear into the forest but Vargas kept up behind it. Wasn't too hard when it was already missing two of its legs. Speeding himself up, Vargas soon caught up to the spider. "Sorry buddy, but this really is the end for you." He swung his blade out at the mob and watched as it shattered into a multitude of crystals. He put his hand out and watched as some collected in his hand before they disintegrated. "Im so done with this. I need to go buy some new gear," Vargas said before he looked at his Anneal Blade, "I should probably try appraising this first. It'd probably save me some col. If not, well, at least I'll have tried." Sheathing his blade, he began his trek back to Urbus for a drink or three.

ID #75832
BD: 11 (10 + 1)
DMG: 5 (3 + 2)

LD: 15 (14 + 1)
+400 Col (80 x 5)
+1 Mat

Edited by Vargas

It felt like a long time before Vargas reached the city. It hadn't taken him long in the first place but going back felt bothersome after fighting a mob for an unseemly amount of time. When he reached the city he walked straight to the closest pub. "I'll take whatever whiskey you got." Vargas called out to the bartender. The man nodded and returned shortly with a shot of whiskey. Vargas quickly downed that and another. The man continued to pour him a new glass until around his fourth when Vargas finally calmed down and just nursed his drink in his hand. He wanted to get stronger, the sooner he could, the sooner he'd be able to get push away the thoughts that always came back. Even now, all he thought about was sitting next to Natalia's bedside in the hospital. He stared at the drink in his hands as the memories tried to push through the barriers he'd set. Downing his drink he set the glass upside down and walked out.