[SP-F1] <<The First Few Lessons are Free>> (Complete)

"Okay", responds Damien, "But what kind of materials are you looking for, for these potions?

Damien had found a rather good seeming quest which was to simply help a NPC alchemist find some materials so the guy could show him how to craft a potion. The rewards: A gain of some skill points and a lot of potions. I mean, who wouldn't consider that an amazing deal? So as soon as he could, Damien had hopped onto the quest and now here he was.

"Just any kind of material that you think would work well in a potion." The NPC, Zakariah, responded. "Just find at least 5 materials and bring them here."

"Okie dokie, I'll go and find some.

And with that, Damien was exiting the alchemist's shop and headed out to find some materials. five, to be exact. He walked through the town, which was, as always, bustling with activity from other players of the game. Damien's destination: The closest town gates. 

Edited by Damien

Damien began his walk into the wild from the town's southern-most gates. The scenery from outside of the town was simply stunning. The bright sun and beautiful clouds spread in a wide array with the morning mist-this was the definitive beauty of a perfect day back in the real world. "The designers have obviously put a lot of thought into the game's graphics and such. One, if not the most, important aspect to a VRMMORPG." 

Far in the distance Damien could see a pack of boars sitting down and nibbling on the grass. They, too, seemed to be enjoying the beautiful day. 

In his left hand Damien did carry his <<Iron Curved Sword>>, although Damien doubted he would need it while on this quest, as he was not far out away from the town. Monsters did not seem to spawn too closely to the Town of Beginnings. "Hmmmm.... Okay, so what kind of material am I gonna find out here in the grass I wonder? "

That wonder never really seemed to cease as Damien continued walking for another ten minutes before he decided he needed to actually look a lot harder or think more about what type of thing might go into a potion. Continuing on, the question eventually diminished as Damien came across something that looked like a rather small bird feather from his view. Damien walked closer to the discovered 'feather' to get a better glimpse.

Upon closer examination of this green feather-looking material, Damien discovered that it did not happen to actually be a feather. It happened to simply be some dead grass. Damien tossed it back on the ground and continued his search for more materials to give to the NPC so he could have these potions. " Hmmmm.... That is a good idea though, I should find some feathers. Maybe bird feathers would work well in potions. Well, at least better than dead grass, for that matter."

Roll ID:#74415
LD:4

Edited by Damien

Damien continued to walk. I mean, there wasn't much else for him to do to help him find materials besides to stay continuing moving. As he walked, he began to think about some other things about the game. There were a lot of people dead, and of course Damien knew that. but in a way, Damien still loved the game, no matter if people could die or not. The game gave people who have wanted this kind of reality for forever the reality they truly desired. And Damien wasn't one to question that, because he in fact loved it. There wasn't much a reason for Damien to want to escape.

Damien stopped his trail of thinking for a moment to look at the ground, to make sure he did not miss anything. Sadly, though, he did not miss anything. And he continued right on with his trail of thought.

Of course, Damien wanted to be on the front lines to help the people who want to escape, but more importantly to see the cool and stunning bosses. Damien always was one to enjoy monsters and mythological creatures. He also was fascinated by different types of swords, which of course the front lines always had an assortment of weapons to see.

Roll ID: #74418 LD: 4

Edited by Damien

" Wow I am really not having much luck, am I?" Damien thought to himself. He needed to hurry up and find the materials. Damien wanted to at least be done with the quest by the time the day was over. He needed to find five materials: So far his finds amounted to zero. Eh, he'd find some pretty dang soon (He hoped and told himself). Damien felt like it had been about twenty minutes of him scouting about looking for these materials. It kinda sucked he had pulled up nothing, but he figured it was going to take a little more time and effort than he was currently putting in. Damien just needed to continue on looking for materials, and that is what he did.

The more Damien searched though, the more unlikely it was (in Damien's mind) that he was gonna find something. "Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place... Maybe I need to look deeper or something? Because I ain't finding anything here. Eh well.... I might as well continue looking so my efforts won't be in vain." 

Roll Id: #74421 LD: 3

Edited by Damien

Damien was now just walking slightly outside of the Town of Beginnings staring at the ground. Every once in a while, Damien would move the grass around with his feet to see if there was anything, pulling up almost nothing about every time. "Come on..."

Damien turned his attention to the ground for more thinking to change his train of thought for a bit. He wondered how far into the ground you could dig into Aincrad before literally falling to your doom. Now, quite honestly, Damien had no idea if you could even dig in this game. He was pretty sure you could though, since he was literally holding an iron sword. Made of iron, which is found underground. Or maybe not in SAO. Like I said, Damien had no idea. Eh, Damien figured it didn't matter anyways as he was sure no one would be stupid enough to dig so far down that they would fall of Aincrad and die. 

Roll Id: #74422 LD: 12

EDIT: 1 material found (+1)

Edited by Damien

Damien began to jog, slowly getting further away from the Town of Beginnings, because Damien figured he was gonna have no luck there. In the distance, Damien had noticed a small-ish forest, and that was where he was now headed. If he was gonna finally find anything, He figured maybe he could find some kind of rare plant in there. I mean, as long as the system told Damien it was an alchemy material it would be good for crafting. 

Upon arriving, Damien found there were literally no monsters, which was probably a pretty good thing for Damien. He didn't really want to have to deal with any monsters as well as having to find some materials. It's not like the materials weren't proving a hard enough task to gather up or anything. Nope, no way. 

The trees in the forest as he entered stood tall and mighty, way above the horizon. Damien most certainly had never seen trees that tall where he lived. 

Roll ID: #74423 LD: 12

Edit: 2 materials found (+1)

Edited by Damien

Damien wondered into the mini tiny forest, where it seemed very quiet but at the same time many different sounds(just not very loud sounds) could be heard from lots of different animals/insects, combining into a silent hum. 

Damien was sure to carry his <<Iron Sword>> with him as he walked, because he still wasn't so sure about there not being any monsters in the small forest. Damien had yet to use the sword yet, which was kinda surprising. Although Damien heard from other players and news that this quest connected with two other ones which included fighting boars, and Damien was very excited for that part. Although Damien did not have the damage for means of mass destruction (What, with 0 sword arts and 1 base damage), he was sure he could take down most weaker mobs on the floor with his <<Battle Healing>> skill healing 5 hp each turn in combat.

Roll ID: #74426 LD: 9

Edited by Damien

And as Damien walked through the mini forest, he was becoming more and more sure of how much luck hated him, for he was still unable to find a singe rare flower or any other material. It was kind of starting to frustrate Damien, the way the game was playing him. Maybe it truly was the game playing around with him, and the Cardinal did not want Damien gaining any materials. And if that was what the problem was, Damien was going to fight the Cardinal by continuously looking for these materials. And Damien intended on getting the materials he was looking for. No game was going to play him. He simply was not going to let that happen.

Continuing on through the forest, Damien began to whistle and hum tunes from old songs, new songs, and anything in between as he looked for the materials. " These had better get me some very good potions. "

Roll ID: #74427 LD: 1

Edited by Damien

Okay this officially sucks. And I have to find 5 of these dang materials???? Damien began to think to himself. At least he knew the next two parts to the quest were going to be much easier. Well, he hoped, for that matter. otherwise he may just consider giving up on the quests, being the terrible difficulty this one has provided so far. 

Damien was becoming angry at the system. Was it really random, or was it rigged JUST to anger Damien. Eh, it is what it is. But Damien wasn't going to sit out here for much longer if he didn't start finding some of these dumb materials. Damien was starting to wish this quest allowed him to fight monsters to find the materials, but sadly those materials would not count for the ones the alchemist requested. ArghEh it's not like I got anything else to do. Like I said earlier, if I quit now, it will be in vain.

Roll ID: #74429 LD: 8

Edited by Damien

(OOC: ERHMAGAWD STOP I JUST WANT SOME DANG MATERIALS)

Damien continued to walk through the forest, but then eventually decided he was wasting his time. There were no materials in here either(Well, at least where Damien could see for that matter.) Turning to exist the forest, he figured he might as well just enjoy the stroll/jog. I mean, there was nothing better than a peaceful stroll through forests and the beautiful grasslands of the first floor. Simply nothing better. (Well, besides viewing art in museums in the real world.)

As he exited, Damien wondered if any other players had just as bad as luck of finding materials on this same quest. Hopefully his luck wasn't going to be this way in literally every aspect of the game, or he was gonna have to start wasting skill points on utility and mobility skills, which he did not feel like doing. 

Finally coming to the end of the forest, Damien continued to simply jog, not headed anywhere in particular. 

Roll ID: #74438 LD:14

EDIT: 3 materials found (+1)

Edited by Damien

(OOC: Well then. )

As he jogged across the grassland, the sun gleamed down on Damien. How could Damien not be happy on such a peaceful and beautiful day? Damien did not know why, but it was possible and he most definitely was feeling it. Damien needed to let the anger go though. It was trapping Damien down somewhere in a pit of despair where he did not wish to be. and if he was going to climb out of his pit of despair he was going to have to be happy. And then with happiness will bring more chances of finding materials (hoping) that will in turn bring more happiness to rain down on a place slightly dried out from the day's efforts.

Damien looked to the sky, noticing the clouds were still just as beautiful as when he left to search an hour or so ago. Random thoughts were going through his head as he continued to jog.

ROLL ID: #74440 LD5

Edited by Damien

(OOC: These dice do not like me)

Damien continued his jog and began to think about the creator of this game. I mean, literally, who wouldn't want a world of their own creation? I mean, it may take anyone to want one, but it takes a true beast to actually create one. The creator must have been insanely smart, because it seemed like he knew exactly what he was doing. If Damien had the ability to create his own world, well, it would turn out be complete crap as Damien's creative side did not work as well as Damien would like it to. 

The game itself though, what was not to love about it? Damien knew of course when people died, they were dead. But in the real world, when people died, they were dead. In the real world though, there is not fantastical mythological beasts. There are only humans covering the earth, with domesticated animals around. Soon all non-domesticated ones were going to (sadly) be driven out. The real world truly is a terrible place. But here in SAO, one does not even have to worry about EATING. How amazing is that? And your bodies still remain alive without food. Wo.

ROLL ID: #74446 LD: 9

Edited by Damien

(OOC: HOLY SMOKES FINALLY)

Damien was continuing on his jog when a small flower beside the path took his attention. Damien bent down to see a screen appear, telling Damien that he had found a material. "Yes!" Damien couldn't help but to yell aloud. "Well, that is one down. four to go. Hopefully I can get more luck now. It's not like I did anything bad to the gods of luck or anything." Damien smiled as the flower went into his inventory and he continued jogging on. This quest was one more step towards being completed now. 

Now, all that was left to do was to: repeat the same process four times. Damien sighed, hoping it would not take near as long to find the next material as it did with the first one. If it took him another hour and a half to find each one, well  then. Damien was gonna be out here for quite some time. 

Roll ID: #74452 LD: 18 (SUCCESS)

Quest Materials Collected: 1 (+1)

EDIT: 4 materials found. (+1)

Edited by Damien

(OOC: This post is not for finding materials, is just going to be the make up post for the ones I edited in earlier to apply to the new quest rules.)

Damien continued, as he had finally found something he had been looking for this whole time. This gave him a new feeling of hope, as he would be able to find them maybe... Quicker? Or at least Damien had a feeling they were out there. As he continued to jog, Damien noticed the sun was definitely out now. It was not hiding behind the clouds anymore. He could actually feel the sweat as he jogged, which surprised him. The makers of the game truly had not missed any needed aspects from the real world. Well, besides the fact that people had to eat, but Damien was pretty sure they did that on purpose. That was one of his favorite parts of the game, how Damien did not have to eat. It was amazing and astonishing how they kept their IRL bodies alive while not eating. But wait, were they even still truly alive? There was evidence and all from outside of the game, but could it all be real? Eh, Damien ditched the thought.

Damien then saw a few flowers beside him. They were the same kind of flowers he had found just a little bit ago. Picking them up, excitedly, Damien realized he now only needed to find one more material before heading back to the alchemist.

Quest Materials: 4

Damien was now super happy, as the journey that he thought was going to take several more hours was now going to take(hopefully) significantly less than that, and then he could have the potions then be on his way, hopefully to a quest that actually had combat. Damien couldn't wait to test the game's "main" thing, the combat. The developers had done such a great job on everything else, hopefully the part they advertised the most is even more amazing. Damien kept a close eye as he jogged around more.

Before Damien even knew it, before a minute had even passed by, Damien had found the last flower he needed for the potions. Damien was amazed at how quick he had found the last one, and he quickly picked it. Well, time to go make some potions! Damien checked his inventory just to be sure he had all five of the materials before finally heading back to the Town of Beginnings. 

Roll ID: 74963 LD: 16 (Success)

Quest Materials Found: 5/5 (+1)

Edited by Damien

Damien sprinted through the town, not wanting to waste a single moment of his precious time. He remembered distinctively where Zakariah's workshop was located and it did not take him too long to reach his destination.

Upon walking into the alchemists' shop, Damien was greeted by Zakariah. "Ah, welcome back to the shop! I assume you have the materials?" 

Damien opened up his inventory and searched for the materials from the flowers he had found earlier, and then pulled them out. "Yup, got them right here. Hopefully they work okay for alchemists." 

Damien handed the materials to Zakariah, who then examined them. "Yes, these shall do greatly! Here, come with me." 

Damien followed Zakariah, who brought him to place in the back of the building in which Damien assumed he crafted the potions at. "This is where I craft my potions!" Damien's assumption was then confirmed. Maybe Zakariah was gonna give him some crafting lessons?

Roll ID: 74972 CD: 7 (Success, Rare)

Edited by Damien

Zakariah grabbed a vial and pulled out the materials Damien had given to him. Zakariah then handed Damien both one of the flowers and the vial, plus a little bag of some sort of dust? Maybe it's pixie dust. Damien let out a slight smile after that one, although he knew that flying was not possible in the game. "I want you to craft a potion!" Damien looked down at the stuff then back at Zakariah.

"You want me to craft you a potion?"

"Yup!"

"And how in the world do you expect me to do that?" 

"Simply combine the flower material with the powder in the vial! It truly is a very simple process."

Damien looked back down at the materials. "Umm... Okay." He knew in the real world it was definitely not this easy, but in the real world people didn't have HP bars around their heads.

Steadily, Damien put the flower's petals into the vial and then dropped some of the dust into it. Nothing happened. "Oh I almost forgot!" Zakariah laughed as he walked over to a counter, grabbing a glass of what appeared to be water. He then handed it to Damien. "You also must pour the water into the potion to make it an actual liquid." 

Damien poured the glass of water into the vial, watching some of the dust and the petals slowly dissolve. "Now, just shake it up! Make sure to keep your finger pressed on top." Damien did as instructed, shaking the vial, until the liquid produced inside of the vial looked a deep red color. Damien had crafted a healing potion.

Zakariah looked at the potion from Damien's side. "Beautiful." Zakariah said. "You must have a pretty nice talent with this type of thing, you managed to craft a potion of the rare quality on your first try! An amazing health potion it is!" Zakariah took the potion from Damien and set it on a counter, and then ran over to a cabinet. 

He walked away from the cabinet with what appeared to be about seven potions and a package. "May I ask of you another favor?" Damien looked at the NPC"Of course!" 

Zakariah picked up the package and handed it to Damien. "I would like you to deliver this to my blacksmithing friend, Lyle Tealeaf. Now, this favor, of course, will not come without any advantage on your part." Zakariah picked up the seven potions and put them next to Damien.

"For your help, I would like you to take these potions!" Damien was surprised. He knew he would probably get some sort of potion out of this, but seven? This sounded just too good to be true. 

"Oh... Wow... This is amazing! Thank you so much!" Damien thanked the NPC as kindly as possible. Zakariah looked back at Damien. "Don't mention it. After all, you are doing me a huge favor by delivering that package to Lyle. It is a very fragile package, so please do use caution."

It wasn't too long before Damien was out of Zakariah's alchemist shop and off to go find... who was it now? Lyle... Tealeaf. Zakariah had said something about his workshop not being too far from Zakariah's place before Damien had left, so he looked around a bit. 

From the far right corner of his eye, Damien spotted a sign saying Lyle's Workshop. Damien quickly headed towards that direction, hoping this would be the continuation part of the quest that he had heard about in the news upon the quest originally being released,being available to all players under level fifteen.