(SP-F1) {Earning a Living} The Art of Selling [COMPLETE!]

I made up my mind: today is the day I will become a Merchant! Now, if one wanted to be a blacksmith, they would go to a blacksmith. Same for a tailor or cook. So to be a merchant, I should go to a shop, probably a general goods store. There should be quite a few in the Town, so I should be able to find one quickly, so the faster I start, the faster I’ll finish. I start to travel through the town, trying to find an actual general goods store, not just a random stand in the streets, and after some time, I finally find one.

*Well, here goes nothing, let’s see if I can get this quest.*

I walk through the door, to see a young man behind the counter, giving me a greeting smile;

“Good morning, haven’t seen you around before. Take your time and look what we’ve got, and if you need something in particular, just ask.”

I smile back at the young man, and take a deep breath, hoping I was right to come here;

“Good morning, and I do need something, that maybe you could help with? I wish to become a Merchant, please, will you train me?”

Edited by Bongartz

I bow as I make my request, hoping this was an NPC, and that this was the place to get the quest. The young man smiled again, and merely asked;

“You sure? It’s not anything fancy ya know, and kinda boring. But if you’re sure, I can train you, no problem.”

With that, the pop up for the Quest <Earning a Living> appears, and I breathe a sigh of relief, this was the right place! I accept the Quest, to which the young man speaks again, almost immediately;

“Good to have you aboard. Since I’ll be training ya, we should know each other’s names, mine’s Oscar. Pleased to meet you.”

“My name is Bongartz, and likewise. What would you have me do first?”

“Well, a good merchant always knows what’s in his store, and how much of it. So, to start with, I’ll have you count inventory. It’s boring, and takes forever, but it needs to be done, so you know when to get more, or when to pull things off of the shelves. The sooner you start, the sooner you’ll finish.”

I just nod my head, though internally I’m groaning. Inventory for the first job? Well, better do the worst thing first, I suppose, and he does have a point about stock. As I look around the store now, rather than seeing a bunch of useful items, such as healing potions and crystals, all I see is a bunch of numbers and work. I grab the sheet he held out to me, listing all the items in the store, from left to right. I start to work, counting and double checking all the numbers as I traversed the store. After a few long hours, with people coming in and out having me recount some of the items, Oscar approaches me, with a smile.

“You’ve been hard at work, and without a single complaint. I’m actually impressed by your dedication, so let’s call break, I’ve some food upstairs for the both of us.”

He turns to head behind the counter, to the door to his personal rooms, and I follow, making sure I keep the now finished inventory log on me.

“I didn’t realize there were so many items in a single store, how do you manage to remember the prices for each and every thing here?”

Just the counting of all the items gave me a slight headache, but Oscar knew the prices of everything before the customers even came to his counter to buy them. He chuckled lightly, as he led the way to the back, opening the door for me;

“I’ve been doing this for a while, and after all the repetition, things tend to stick. You’ll find that out soon enough, if you decide to continue wanting to be a merchant.”

He proceeds to get out the sandwiches he made for the both of us, and invites me to sit with him to continue speaking. Once I sit, and accept the sandwich, I speak again;

“Of course I want to still be a Merchant! I’ll do whatever it takes. No matter how long or hard it is, I will do it.”

Oscar smiles as he begins to eat, in between bites, he continues speaking again.

“No matter what, hmm? Well, there are some things Merchants can do, that no one else can. We require different materials for these as well. Merchants can Appraise an item, get it to reveal secrets it wouldn’t otherwise show.  Each different type of item though, requires a different material. Most of the time though, you’ll have to work weapons and armor, which requires ore. Clothing requires a string based material, and so on. For your next assignment, I’m going to send you out of the town to get materials. Shouldn’t be too hard, and you shouldn’t need to fight much. Think you can handle it?”

I smile, looking forward to the field work, and nod my head.

“Of course, it actually sounds kinda fun. The walking around outside would feel better than walking inside as well, especially without needing to count everything.” I joke motioning to the inventory paper.

“Well, alright then.  I’ll have you go out and get us 5 ores for the appraisals. Then, we’ll use what you got to see how you can appraise a weapon I’ll hand you. Sound good?”

I nod smiling, grateful for the chance to go out a bit, and finish the sandwich I was handed.

“Yes sir, I’ll be back soon and thank you for the lunch.”

I stand up and do a little stretch, then head outside the shop looking up to the sky.

*Well, this is it, time to really earn my job! I’m looking forward to this.*

Spoiler

LD: 18 (Success)

As I approach the gates of the town, I gaze around, smiling at the threshold.

*This place used to be the cause of so much of my fear, yet now it's comfortable. Things can change quickly with the decision to step forward. Now that's what I need to do once more to get these ores.*

As I pass the gates, I quickly notice an outcropping of rocks, which I run over to and inspect, finding my first ore.

"Ha! This might be easier than I thought to begin with. Luck like this might just have me back at Oscar's in a few minutes."

I look around, and notice that I'm near the entrance to the forest, and lightly reach for my sword, remembering the last time I was in there, was with Ourian and we fought a really difficult boar. 

"I hope nothing really major happens, I just want to get these ores and get back to Oscar, the sooner the better."

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

LD: 1

I continue to look around the area, but to my dismay I find nothing more to indicate ore.

*Dang, I may need to enter the forest to find more ore. Who knows what will happen in there?*

I sigh, and shake my head to clear it. Self-doubt, over time, can become self-fulfilling, which is never good. I start to walk into the forest proper, drawing my sword to give me confidence. 

"Let's make this quick. I need the ore and to get out of here, no need to stay any longer than that. The sooner the better. I've already got one ore, so I only need 4 more before I can return to Oscar."

I stick to the side of the path, keeping my eyes peeled for more ore, hoping I can get out quickly, as the forest makes me feel uneasy. Oscar felt that I should be able to do this easily, and if I take too long, he may not be very happy with me. 

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

ID: 74829

LD: 19 (Success)

Shortly after entering the forest, there's another outcropping almost directly ahead to the left, which upon inspection, held yet another ore! That's 2 down and 3 more to find. With how quickly I found this one upon entering the forest, I might be able to find a whole lot more in the immediate vicinity.

"Yes! Another ore found, which makes 2 found, 3 more to go. This area might hold even more ore, I'll keep looking around here before I travel any further into the forest."

I sheathe my sword, chuckling at myself for being so scared to come into the forest. There's nothing to fear here, and my fear only shows I still have a long way to go to be able to do any fighting on my own.

I turn around to walk back to the center of the path, and gaze around looking for what might be more ore.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74832

LD: 2

Looking around the path, I see that there is nothing else nearby and sigh. I will either have to follow the path deeper into the forest, or deviate from the trail and into the forest itself. As I think over the options, I lean up against a nearby tree on the side of the path.

"Either option has it's pros and it's cons. I have to make a decision though, and honestly, the path is mostly traveled so any materials here, I'd be lucky if no one else already grabbed. Off the path though, should be mostly empty, meaning materials should be more plentiful."

With that in mind, I turn to the left, and walk off the path, heading deeper in the forest itself, surrounded by trees, hoping I made the right decision. As I walk off the path, I grab some sticks to leave behind me, just to be sure I don't lose my way.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74833

As I continue off the path, I kick a few rocks out of my way, determined to find more ore. As time passes though, I realize that it's taking me longer than I thought to get the mere 5 ores. I suppose it wouldn't be that easy though, or it wouldn't be a test. I wonder if Oscar knew it would take me longer than this, that he didn't even really expect me back tonight, but tomorrow? He didn't say anything when I said I'd be right back, but thinking back on it, I did hear a light chuckle, could it have been Oscar? Well, either way, I would rather get the ores sooner rather than later, and if I got back today, he might even be surprised, maybe impressed.

*Off the path, I should find more ores, but that might just be wishful thinking. Either way, I made this decision, so now I need to stick with it and make it work for me.*

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

LD: 16 (Success)

After a few minutes, I kick another rock, but this one feels heavier than the others. I reach down to pick it up, and to my astonishment, it's an Ore! 

*An ore mixed in with rocks? I thought ore was only found in outcroppings and veins? Oh well, I'm not gonna question it.*

I kneel down to look at all the rocks by my feet, hoping another one is also an ore, but no such luck. Seems it was just a random ore, but at least it's something.

"Alright, let's see this one makes it 3 ores, so I now have more than half what I need. Just 2 more ores and I can head back to Oscar to get started with the next objective, the appraisals. He didn't say much about it, other than revealing possible hidden secrets in items, whatever that means. When I get back, I'll see what happens when I try myself."

I stand back up and continue to walk forward to find more ores, hoping I get the last ones I need soon.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74836

LD: 17 (Success)

Not even 5 minutes later, I see an outcropping of ore, just to the right of me. I quickly run to it, grabbing the 4th ore Oscar needed me to grab.

"Well, this was an easy grab, I like it when things are easy. Now then, I only need one more ore before I need to head back Oscar, and I still have quite a bit until it's nightfall. I might just yet beat the average time it takes to get the 5 ore and return, which makes me quite proud."

I smile to myself, happy to be so close to completing this task. Though I know, most cases like this, the last item will take forever to find.

*MMOs usually lure you into a conscious sense of luck and the feeling you can do anything, so I need to be careful. I can't let the good luck thus far blind me to the fact I still need one more ore, and I need to get back to Oscar for this to mean anything. Remember, the sooner the better.*

I turn around, making sure I still have my little stick path to lead me back to the path, then continue forward to get my ore.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74837

LD: 12

Kicking rocks out of way, hoping I'll find another ore this way, I walk for about an hour before I give it up, convinced there's no more ore this way.

"Well, it was worth the try. It's already been a few hours since I set out, and a whole hour since I've seen anything. Might be best to start walking back to the path, maybe some more ore will have spawned on the way back."

I turn around, and pay attention to my stick path to return me to the road, but after a few minutes I find that my sticks were dislodged by my kicking rocks, so it's effectively useless.

"Curse me, I wasn't even thinking about it. Perhaps if I just walk straight, I'll eventually return to the path, it's the only thing I can try. Unless I climb a tree, actually, thinking about it."

I look for the tallest tree about, and quickly climb it, to find the path. I realize I walked further away than I though, and it'll be a few more hours yet until I even got out of the forest, let alone back to the shop. I climb back down, and start jogging through the overgrowth to return to the path, hoping to find ore close to the path, or near the town.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74838

LD: 3

While I jog back to the path, I don't even look for ore, wanting more to get back to where I know, than to be somewhere I don't. After a few hours, I get back to the path, just as the sun starts to set in the distance, letting me know nightfall approaches. 

"Damn, most of the day is gone, and I only have 4 ores, I still need one more. I'll walk slowly on the path, maybe I'll be lucky enough to get the last ore on the way back to the town, surprise Oscar by coming back tonight."

I walk along the path, keeping my eyes peeled along the sides of the path and around the area in general. I will find this ore tonight, and I will make Oscar proud of me! My determination refueled, I start humming to myself, enjoying my own company and just enjoying the game for the first time since I started.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

As I walk forward, I exit the forest, and look around the path back to the Town, hoping to find some ore again, but to no avail. I smile sadly as I walk towards the gates, hoping that there will be something in the area, but none to be found. I lean up against the wall, staying outside the town for a little longer.

"I think I'll stay out here, at least until the sun fully sets. It's peaceful, and I haven't really enjoyed the sun set here yet, so might as well tonight."

I look up at the orange sky, enjoying watching the colors change, almost exactly like they did in the real world.

*Heh, I suppose this is my real world now, and who knows if the real world will still have a place for me, if and when we beat this one. Just gotta take it day by day, and fight for my freedom every inch of the way.*

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74840

LD: 14

Once the sun fully sets, and the moon is visible in the sky, I head back inside the town, and walk to the inn for the night, slightly miffed I couldn't get the last ore today, so I couldn't prove myself as much as I wanted to. I walk into my room, and remove my sword and armor, laying down on my bed, staring at the ceiling until I fall asleep. Come the morning, I waste no time in putting my gear back on and venturing back out to the fields.

"Alright, let's get this last ore and return to Oscar, I already consider myself late for not getting back to him yesterday."

I go straight to the forest, determined to get this ore quickly, and start the next segment of my training.

*I just really hope that Oscar doesn't think I abandoned him because of how long it took to get the ores, I need to find this last one as soon as possible.*

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74841

LD: 7

Walking through the forest path, I hope to find the last ore quickly, but I can't find any quickly, so I divert back off the path, though today I take the right hand side, instead of the left.

"Maybe this way, I'll find more ore, unlike yesterday when I went left. I have to hope so, I need to return quickly. Hopefully Oscar won't be too mad with how long it took me, and make me recount the inventory. That took forever, though I'll admit, less time than getting these 5 ores."

This time though, I don't bother with trying to make a stick path, after what happened yesterday where my kicking made it useless and almost left me without knowing where I was. I keep my eyes peeled for any ore that might be on the ground, or any random outcropping that would hide the ore I need.

*Let's try to make it back before lunch, I don't like the idea of Oscar waiting very long today, after I was gone most yesterday.*

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74844

LD: 14

Walking along the path, I constantly find rocks and outcroppings that look like they could be ore, but constantly found myself without the one I needed.

*One of these things has to be an actual ore, I need to find just one more soon. Oscar is counting on me, and I need to be a Merchant. If I fail Oscar's test, he might just not let me become one, and I can't let that happen.*

Remembering I found some ore yesterday by aimlessly kicking some rocks, so maybe I can get the last ore by doing the same thing today? It's the only idea I've got right now, and it won't hurt to try. 

I start kicking the rocks again, as I did yesterday, and hoping that sooner or later, I'd get the ore, sooner much preferred, however. One of these days, I'm going to try to get materials a lot easier, maybe a skill or something will make it easier to do get things I need.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

Loot: 4

After some time, I still haven't found the single ore I still need, and I sit down.

*Have other players been coming through here, getting all the ore themselves? I haven't found any today, nor a hours yesterday, and I can't think of any other reason. I may need to return to Oscar with just the 4 ore, instead of the 5 he initially asked for.*

I sigh, but then punch the ground in defiance;

"No! I can't accept defeat to mere rocks! I will find the last one I need for Oscar, no matter how long it takes. He will understand if I'm late if the ores have been taken by other people, and he'd commend my dedication to not giving up. I can't let this get to me, I have to get up and continue searching."

I stand up briskly, and start jogging forward, needing to find this last ore for Oscar, I need to be a merchant. I needed this ore as of yesterday, and nothing will stop me from getting it today.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

LD: 7

I start to slow down, keeping track of the area around me, hoping to see more ore soon. I look at the time, and see it's already after 10 am and sigh.

"So much for wanting to be back by lunch time, I'll be lucky if I get back at lunch time. I really hope Oscar doesn't penalize me for how long I'm taking."

At this point, my stomach starts growling and I sit down on a nearby boulder.

"Great, I forgot breakfast again. One of these days I'll stop being so reckless and forgetful, I need to eat. I'll find this ore soon and get lunch with Oscar, even if I have to make it this time."

I stand back up slowly, and continue walking, hoping to find ore soon, before I pass out from lack of food. Huh, could that be possible in this game? Well, I've no desire to test the limitations on food and water today, so let's try to get this ore, and whether I do or not, I'm going back to town for lunch come noon.

Edited by Bongartz