(SP-F1) {Earning a Living} The Art of Selling [COMPLETE!]

Spoiler

# 74850

LD: 6

After about another hour, I still find no sight of the last ore I need, so I solemnly start walking back to the path, to head back to town to grab a bite to eat. Despite all efforts, I still can't seem to find the ore I need, and can't help but wonder why nothing is appearing.

"Who knew trying to find 5 ore would be so time consuming, and difficult? I wonder if this is the primary test from Oscar, being able to do what needs be done, despite it's difficulties? Who knows what goes on through his mind, anyway? I need to eat, so maybe I'll find this ore on the way back to town."

I walk slowly along the path back, hoping to see ore somewhere in the distance, or possibly closer. Sadly, nothing appears as I walk out of the forest, and see the towering gates of the town before me.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74857

LD: 11

I walk back into the town, slightly miffed I had to return because I needed food, and still haven't found the last one ore I needed.

"Oscar is not going to be happy it's taking me so long to get the last one ore I need. The other players needing ore seem to have emptied the entire forest. I need to figure something out to do, to get this ore."

I walk over to the inn to get a bite to eat, before I head back outside the gates to find this ore. It's no good if I pass out looking and take even longer to get back to Oscar.

As I head back, rather than into the forest, I head over through the plains to the left, thinking that maybe it'll have more ore that the other players haven't touched yet.

"Maybe, just maybe, the plains will hold better luck for me than the forest, maybe less players look for ore here."

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74858

LD: 5

As I walk throughout the plains, I question the logic of my choice, thinking about it. 

*Plains are plains because it's literally flat land. What are the chances that I'll find ore anywhere near here? I'll head into the forest from here, and maybe I'll find the ore there.*

I change paths, and walk towards the forest, hoping that luck will finally show itself to me, and let me return to Oscar in success. I really didn't want to return to the man with any thing less than what he asked for. He is the one willing to teach me how to be a merchant, and I'm sure he knows how difficult it is to get ore here. This has to be a test, it's the only thing that makes sense. 

"Well, the less I try to find reasons why I can't find ore, the more time I'll have to actually search for the ore."

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74860

LD: 1

As I enter the forest from the plains, I immediately regret it. There was a small depression in the earth, and I stepped in it, losing my balance and falling into the overgrowth.

"Well, this is the new low for me. I need this ore, and yet everything seems to fight me, letting me get 4, but refusing me the 5th."

I stand back up, and cut the vines off of me that felt the need to wrap around my legs when I fell.

*Oscar, please, tell me that when I find this 5th ore, that I did good. I'm probably one of the slowest people that ever tried this and returned, but at least I will return soon.* 

I turn to the forest and walk deeper in, going perpendicular towards the path, to explore both the forest and make it easier to return to town should I find this ore soon. 

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74863

LD: 3

As I walk through the forest, I look for more ore, yet there doesn't seem to be any in the area. I sit down hard on the ground, feeling like there's something I'm missing here, that I need to do something in particular to find this last ore.

*What am I missing? I could go buy some ore, sure, but that's not gathering it, besides, I've not much Col and I don't want to spend it because I'm too lazy. I need to figure out this problem, and soon.*

I lay down and look up at the sky through the tree branches, trying to calm down as my anger starts rising.

*Getting mad isn't going to help matters, take a deep breath, then go back to searching for the ore. Just take it one moment at a time, and relax.*

I sigh and work on moderating my breathing, keeping myself calm and relaxed.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74868

LD: 5

I decide to take a break from looking for the ore, and climb a nearby tree, as I've always felt better up high in the trees.

*Maybe up here, I'll be able to relax and eventually find the last ore I need. Who knows, having an eye in the sky would might just be what I need to get the ore.*

I lay on one of the upper branches, watching the clouds roll past, close my eyes, and just relax. 

"I can't fall asleep, but perhaps I should relax up here, and take a nap? I'm not sure if it's a good idea, but it's an idea."

I take a deep breath, but before I fall asleep, I decide I shouldn't, and roll off the branch, grabbing the next one down, then climb down the tree proper. I need the ore, not sleep, and Oscar needs me to return to the store, so let's not procrastinate.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

LD: 13

(OoC: OK, this is kinda getting ridiculous, this is how many failures in a row, now?)

I continue walking forward, hoping against hope to see something other than the endless green and brown I've come to expect here. So when I reach the path again, once more, I'm not surprised that I haven't found a single ore again.

*Well, here we are again, on the path without the ore. I swear the system is taunting me at this point. So many hours poured into this search, and nothing to show for it.*

I walk along the path, looking at my feet, kicking the dirt up, feeling like I failed Oscar.

"Great. I'm not going to be able to become a merchant without 5 ore, and this last one is keeping me from my goals. This really bites, losing to a mineral."

I shake my head sadly, and sit down on the end of the path at the edge of the forest, looking around the area for any chance of ore.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74883

I stand up slowly, and walk back into the forest, though this time I've already accepted I'm not going to find anything, it's been hours, and already mid-afternoon. I walk deeper into the woods than I have prior, following the path out to the lake, and I sit on the edge, playing with the water, splashing my face a bit.

"This is ridiculous. I'm here playing with the water, rather than trying to find this ore. But at the same time, it's been over 24 hours since I was told to come out and get 5 ore, and I've only found 4. I'm letting this search destroy me, but I need to become a merchant. Perhaps a little down time though will do me good?"

I relax and lay down on the waters edge, and close my eyes, feeling the wind blow over me, and the sounds of the forest as if it were alive.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74921

LD: 9

I decide that I will let myself sleep for now, and I will tell Oscar the truth about it later, besides, I should be fine for a little rest, especially up high in a tree. But only for a little while, I don't need to sleep the entire day away.

*That tree over there looks easily enough climbed, and big enough to rest upon, a little nap can't hurt.*

I climb a nearby tree that overlooks the entire lake area, and lay down on one of the upper branches, leaning against the trunk of the tree. The muted sounds of the forest, and the lull of the area makes me fell drowsy and I allow it to take me away, to get some sleep. The ore can wait for now, I'll find it when I'm meant to find it, and Oscar won't be too upset. Heh, who knows, maybe it's a test because no one comes back with all 5 ores.

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74922

LD: 18 (Success)

After about an hour and a half, I wake up with a start, and realize the sun is already starting to set, meaning I slept much longer than I anticipated. I climb down the tree as fast as I can and jog back to the path leading to town. However, upon reaching the path, I notice another rock outcropping to the side, and after a few minutes debating if it's even worth it to check, I decide it can't hurt, making my way over. To my complete surprise, it's my last ore! I finally hit the 5 I needed!

"YES! Oscar will be proud, I got all the ores he asked for! I'm gonna head back to his place in triumph, and become a Merchant."

I take off running down the path, elated, and can't wait to start the next aspect of my training. Of course however, as with most such things, as I run, I see a lot of outcroppings and ore in the forest, now I have what I need. 

*Funny how that works. When you need something, it's hard to find, but once you have it, you can find the things everywhere. I wonder if that's a lesson I could bring home?*

Edited by Bongartz

I reach the town, still jogging, going straight to Oscar's shop, who I hope isn't too mad at me for how long I took. Once I see the door, just down a ways, a slow to a normal walk so as to catch my breath, and calm my racing heart. When I open the door, it's empty at first, but Oscar comes from round back a few moments later to see me looking over some items.

"Well, I'll be, look who made it back. You have been gone quite some time, Bongartz, started to think maybe something happened to ya."

I turn to Oscar, and smile lightly, holding out all 5 ores I had found;

"No, I'm good. Found the first 4 ore relatively easily, but the 5th? That one eluded me the entire time, it just didn't want to be found."

As Oscar takes the ores from me, he starts to laugh;

"Well, this is a first. I've sent a few out to bring back 5 ores, yet they always return with just 3, 4 every once in a blue moon, claiming they just couldn't find any more. I'm sure you were able to guess while out there, that while yes, it's easy to get a few, more often than not, getting all you need can take more time than you think you have. It's part of why I had you take inventory first, so you could see that getting the right items, and as many as you need, first is quite important. Take your time, and always bring back what was asked, and you can not fail as a Merchant."

I smile, and see the truth of Oscar's words, grateful that it was a test of endurance and determination that it was of actually gathering ore, though remembering what he said yesterday made me ask;

"You mentioned my needing the ore, so I could learn what exactly an Appraisal was, too?"

Oscar looks over me, making sure I was alert and paying attention.

"Yes, it's something only Merchants can do, and different items require different materials to Appraise. I'm going to have you attempt to Appraise a weapon here, not your own, using some of the ore you brought back. I have a selection of weapons here in the back, courtesy of a blacksmith friend of mine, dedicated to the sole task to train with Appraisal. It's the task of looking at a weapon, or shield, or what have you, and finding it's secrets. Blacksmiths can build weapons that have additional properties, but not all weapons have them so open. Take your own weapon for example, there's no enhancements on it, that you can see. Appraising it however, can find a hidden enhancement within it."

With the explanation, my eyes widen, realizing just how useful that could be to not just Frontliners, but all players in general.

"That sounds amazing. Could I start to learn how to do it tonight? Now?"

Oscar just laughs, and nods;

"Of course, you can. Let me go get one of the swords, and we'll begin. Wait here."

Oscar then walks to the back, to bring a sword for me to practice on.

"You may not get it on your first try, so don't feel discouraged. Once you successfully enhance an item, I'll look at it myself to see how you did."

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74923

BD: 2

CD: 5

I attempt to Appraise the item, and after a minute, I find nothing so I look to Oscar;

"Nothing is happening, so, does that mean there's nothing here?"

He chuckles as he replies;

"No, if there was nothing, the weapon would be listed as locked next to the weapon name. You appraised the item, but didn't learn any of the secrets, which is the most common  effect. You didn't succeed. nor did you fail, it's merely a, what to call it, a learning experience."

I look back at the weapon, not sure how I should feel about it;

"Should I give it another go then? I need to successfully do this, and a retry chance might give me the results I need."

Oscar merely smiled, and gestured to the weapon, giving me another ore to appraise the sword.

"If you feel like you can, go right ahead. Give it your best shot, you may surprise even yourself."

Edited by Bongartz
Spoiler

# 74924

BD: 2

CD: 12 (Success)

LD: 13 (Bleed Effect)

*This time, I'll do it right. I know there's something here I can use.*

As I use the ore to appraise the sword once more, I see a slot reveal itself, and after a second, it shows the <Bleed> enhancement within the weapon, to which I respond with a cheer;

"Yes! It worked that time! You're right, I did surprise myself, though."

I smile at Oscar, who seemed impressed with my attempt;

"Very well done, I haven't seen anyone succeed on their 2nd attempt, let alone with a good enhancement like that. You have a natural talent, Bongartz, make sure you use it well. I think you've earned the right to call yourself a Merchant, now. Congratulations, my friend, though do make sure you come back and visit me. We Merchants always need to watch out for each other, and work out deals for items."

I nod, still smiling like a lunatic;

"You bet! Thank you so much for everything, Oscar. I owe you big time!"

With that, I walk out of Oscar's shop, ecstatic about my luck, and looking forward to making my name as the best Merchant Treasure Hunter!

Edited by Bongartz