[OP-F2] A Darker Shade of Green- COMPLETE

OOC: Please no more than 3-4 people posting at once, it gets confusing.

The second floor was a place that was always in perpetual sunset. The dusty canyons that surrounded the mountain city of <> reflected the light back at the city at odd angles, always painting the settlement in a wash of gold and orange. It stayed that way right up until the game's timer told the sun to finally stop teasing, and set peacefully behind the smoky, watercolor sky.

Urbus wasn't a very large city, if it could even be called that. More akin to a town out on the frontier of the wild west, Urbus was carved into the side of a mountain, accessible by way of the labyrinth from the first floor, which emptied out into the settlement after the boss chamber. The town was mostly populated by NPCs, going about their business as shopkeepers, innkeepers, and other assorted "keeper" roles.

Kane strode through the streets, watching the dust eddy up in swirls around his boots as he walked. The perpetual golden sun glanced off of his armor, and played along the surface of the immense, oversized Greatsword that was slung across his back. Kane wasn't here for sightseeing, and he knew where he was headed. He had heard tell of a store that sold high-quality cloaks here in town. His old <> had caught fire and been destroyed in a battle a little while ago with an Ifrit, a huge fire monster whose cave he and a friend had entered, hoping to find rare materials. He had come out of it alive, but his outfit needed some repairs, and in the case of his cloak, a replacement. The <> from the various hunts he'd been on over the past month had amassed quite decently, and he was sure he'd be able to obtain a cloak or coat of a good material.

Miaki was atop of the balcony for one of the taverns, drinking a spiced cider and watching the infinite number of stars overhead. The swirling galaxies and unknown constellations were mesmerizing no matter how many times you looked up at it. He wore his favored attire of a light brown trench coat and matching fedora. He looked down and saw Kane walking underneath on the walkway.

"Yo Kane. Nice seeing you on a night like this. Care to join me up here for a pint?"

Kane looked up, finding the source of the voice. Seeing Miaki on the terrace of the local saloon and tavern, Kane waved back, and entered the establishment. The swinging wooden doors rocked back on their hinges as he entered, and he surveyed the room. Most of the people here were late starters, people who had decided just recently to start getting serious about growing stronger and defeating the game.

There were a few NPCs scattered about, most acting as bartenders and servers. A game of cards was going on at a few different tables, and the sound of music could be heard. A couple of Performers were playing a drum and a tin flute, adding atmosphere to the place and amassing a decent amount of coins in requests for their trouble. Kane made his way to the bar, ordering a <> and watching as it materialized in front of him. "I'll never get used to that..." he said aloud, smiling and taking a sip.

Waiting for Kane to come up the the balcony that circumvented the top portion of the tavern, Miaki looked about and found to chairs that faced out toward the center of the town. In the distance, one could faintly see the outline of the dungeon leading to the 3rd floor far above their heads. Miaki took a seat and drank the cider in his hand. The door opened behind him and he glanced back over his shoulder confirming that it was Kane coming up on the deck.

"Have a seat Kane." He said gesturing to the chair to his left. "What have you been up to?"

Kane accepted the chair,staring out into space in the cool night air. The second floor often felt a bit stifling, but the nights were crisp and clear, illuminated by dozens of stars and planetoids overhead. Miaki looked like a Japanese native's idea of an American; in his fedora and trenchcoat he looked very Western indeed. Un-equipping his sword, Kane sat down, enjoying the opportunity to be off of his feet for a little while.

"Hey buddy. It's been a crazy last month, lemme tell ya." Sipping his tea, Kane reclined back in contentment, feeling the smooth texture of the virtual wood that the seat was made of against his fingertips as he rested a hand on the arm of the chair. "Got a big flippin' sword forged, picked up some armor, and I just recently had a very... warm reception from an ill-tempered beast on the fourth floor. Burned the cloak clean off my back, I'm in town looking for a new one."

Miaki laughed about the misfortune of losing a cloak to a monster. "Hahaha better losing it than yourself. Sounds like you've had an interesting and eventful time. I've had a bit of that myself. Got recruited by a group of front liners called Alpha Squad that work on clearing floors." He took a drink of his pint. "I'm taking a bit of a break from the front lines for a day or two."

Kane looked thoughtful, raising a drink to his lips and gesturing with a hand. "So, what floor are we at near the top? I haven't been past the sixth floor, still trying to keep leveling up." He gestured to his knife belts strapped to his leg and hips. "Picked up a few new toys a little while ago. Throwing knives, would have been useful against that giant Bull, eh?" He laughed, remembering. "It was a good fight."

"Well we're on the seventh floor and were looking for the boss room. The moment it's found I'll expect a message sent to me from some of the guys up here and I will report in immediately for combat." Miaki eyed the throwing knives on Kane's belt. "Picked up a new skill I see. Those may have come in handy against the bull but that thick skin it had might not made them quite that effective." Miaki look back up at the night sky. "That was a really good fight."

The ice clinked at the bottom of Kane's glass as he downed the last gulp. Tapping the side of the mug, a window opened up midair, asking him if he wanted a refill for an additional Col. He selected "OK", and the decanter flickered in and out of existence, suddenly filling back up with tea.

Sipping it more patiently this time, Kane nodded at Miaki's remark. "It was a good fight. Makes you realize how close we really were to death all the time, out in the real world. I mean, here in Aincrad, you always think about death, you know? It's always at the back of everybody's mind because it's a big possibility. But if you really think about it, out there in the real world, it's a dangerous place there too. Really teaches you to enjoy the moment, you know?" Pulling up his menu, Kane frowned at the time. "I'm pretty sure the Tailor is closed this late, so I'll probably rent a room here tonight and order my cloak in the morning."

"Maybe the fact that in here everyone is more conscientious of death makes it feel more real for them. I suppose that is one of the reasons that bring realism to this world." He placed his drink down on the ground beside his chair and put his arms behind his head. "Don't get me wrong. I want to clear this game. But I am in no hurry whatsoever in beating it." He gestured to the stars overhead. "I mean look at this world! Kayaba knew what he was doing when he designed it. You gotta give the man credit for that."

"It's certainly a work of art, alright. If Kayaba had been less of a sociopath, this might have counted as the greatest achievement in the history of technology. I mean, sure it's dangerous, but it's going to take a long time to get out of here. Might as well buckle up and enjoy the ride."

Kane shifted in his seat, adjusting his armor. The stars above were truly magnificent, even if they were really just art objects in a pixellated sky. "So, what brings you here to this floor? Business or relaxation?"

"To be honest? Neither. I'm just going we I feel my blade take me." He stood up and drew his curved weapon and held it like a torch in the air. "Out into the world of Aincrad. A world of wonder, adventure, and discovery! A realization of my childhood fantasies of adventuring and exploring." He took a deep breath. "Whatever this world has to offer, I'm gonna jump into it head first. After all that is what the technology that brought us here does. Full dive." He put away his blade and leaned on the rail looking over the city.

Kane laughed aloud, grinning at the enthusiasm with which Miaki was confronting the world. "That's probably a really good attitude to have," he mused, looking out over the city. "And if we're going to be trapped in a virtual prison, at least it's a beautiful one."

Standing, Kane downed the last of his drink. "Hey, are you staying at this tavern tonight? I was thinking that tomorrow, after I get a new cloak, we could train for a bit. I'm always open to trying new techniques!"

He shrugged his shoulders. "You should stop looking at this world as a prison. This world is no more a prison to us than earth is a prison to the universe." He turned around and leaned back on the rail. "And this world grows larger with every floor that we liberate. Now regarding a room...I guess I'll end up staying here. Haven't booked a room yet."

Kane nodded, turning to go back downstairs as he called out over his shoulder to Miaki. "Tomorrow I'll be back on the first floor, I'll try and find you in the fields." Retiring for the night, Kane went to the front of the bar to rent a room for the night. He had a funny feeling that he'd need a full night's rest, and that the following day would test his patience.

OOC: Leads into Newb thread. ^____^