[PP-F1] Fragments of the Past (Airi)

"Hey," Came a soft, childlike voice, "Come help me with my homework."

Before this, a young kid had peeked his head out from around the corner at the bottom of a set of  stairs. The boy wore a cheap, dark green t-shirt, which he often wore around the house on weekends, as well as a pair of sweat pants. His hair was messy and the colour of a raven. He was tall for his age, being around five-feet tall. At least, he assumed he was taller than average, since all his friends at school were a lot shorter than he was.

"Isaac, isn't dad around? You know he's better at math than I am." Another boy, a few years older than the child, sat on a couch playing on some sort of device. He had charcoal-black hair, just like his brother's, but a bit longer and wore a grey hoodie with a crimson shirt underneath. Isaac, the younger one, seemed annoyed with the response. "He's still working. Can't you just quickly teach me how to do this question?" He asked again, taking a seat beside his sibling. The lad was hesitant to agree to help with the work. He sighed, putting down his controller for a moment. Quietly, he gave Isaac a smile. "Fine. Let me take a look at it."

Returning to reality, Aoda removed his right hand from the cold, virtual stone known to most as the Monument of Life. His eyes stayed glued to a single name that had been listed upon it. "What I would give to go back to those days." The noirette muttered before turning away from the tablet, passing by many players as he walked.

@Airi

• 3 weeks later...

For the second time in two days, Airi found herself in front of the Black Iron Palace. The only difference from the last time was that she had actually been doing something significant to her progress. From early morning to noon, she had been collecting information on all the beginner quests in Floor 1 and placing the quests in an order that she would take. Most of them seemed easy, and even players who were still level 1 had taken them by themselves. She still couldn’t help feeling a bit afraid of leaving the safe zone to do the quests by herself and with limited knowledge of the game, though. The fact that she could die out there stood strong against her.

So she made a plan. She’d go out of the safe zone with another player, someone whose level is a bit higher than hers (but not too high) and she’d learn and practice some of the basics while grinding for experience, money, and loot at the same time. Repeat until she’s fully confident in her knowledge of the game. She wouldn't worry about player-killers yet. The zones outside the Town of Beginnings were populated with enough low-leveled players hoping to get some loot from the mobs so there was never an area that was fully devoid of other people.

The plan sounded nice and perfect, until she realized something. She didn’t know who to ask. She had checked the locations of all the people in her friends list and they were all in higher floors. And going up to floor 2 at level 1 and attempting to farm there sounded a bit to dangerous, even with other players there to assist her. Airi inwardly cursed herself from not getting enough contacts earlier. She wasn’t used to approaching strangers to ask for help. They might be doing something, and they might even say no. She hated getting rejected, especially by people she didn’t know. So she had wandered around town for a while, until stopped in front of the Black Iron Palace.

Maybe she should step inside to regain that initial determination she had yesterday? No, there were currently too much players inside since it was still early in the day. So instead, she remained standing outside the palace and inhaled deeply. Alright. She'll just ask the first person who passes by. A few players with fancy equipment passed by her, all of them talking and laughing, and she exhaled. No, she can't do it. Maybe she'll just PM all her friends and see who would want to go all the way back to floor 1 for her? But then how long would she wait?

A dark-haired player walked past her, almost brushing elbows as he stepped out of someone's way, and she stiffened. If she couldn't even ask one person, she wouldn't be able to ask anyone. And she didn't want to wait for her friends. She'd just lose all the courage she'd gathered up at this point. So Airi whirled around, jogged forward, and tapped the player on his shoulder softly. Asking someone she didn't know for help and approaching someone from behind. How is it that she sucked at both of those things? As he turned around, she blurted: "Um...hey, a-are you busy right now? My name's Airi and I want to go out of the Town of Beginnings and learn some of the basics of the game even though it looks a little too late for me to start leveling up, but I don't want to go out alone so a-are you available or are you heading out as well?" She used up almost all of her breath, so she stopped to take in some air while inwardly cringing at what she just said.

Aoda needed to get stronger. Strong enough to escape the first floor and move on from his past. He felt locked there, coming to the Black Iron Palace each and every day to look at the large stone tablet that rested inside, a new name appearing each glance. Although it annoyed him, he knew there wasn't much he could change as weak as he was. Despite wanting to change the world so much, he didn't want to become a frontliner. How else could he help though?

I don't need to figure it out right now. I have plenty of time. The boy thought, looking through a variety of quests. He was interested in gaining levels, but he couldn't seem to find a specific quest to take on. "Perhaps fighting some boars could be easier." He gazed up, continuing to walk forward in the direction of the exit of the town. As he walked, he considered the warnings he'd been given in the past about combat outside. He recently witnessed a low leveled player, possibly even weaker than he was, die to one of the demons known as boars. They were definitely dangerous. Could he take one on alone?

The raven-haired player glanced over, his elbow nearly brushing against another player's. These things happened often, being such a crowded town, so he didn't think much of it. Aoda strolled onward, now able to see the gate, which would lead him into the open world outside of the safezone. He had been outside before. Huge plains that seemed to go on endlessly covered the floor, as well as many shrubs and bushes. Surprisingly enough, there weren't as many forests as you'd expect. The first area of an RPG always seemed to include a forest of some sort.

Suddenly, he felt a hand on his shoulder. Curiously, the lad turned. The girl was much shorter than he was and she looked a bit younger, although not by much. The way she spoke to him without finishing a sentence or even breathing told Aoda that she was nervous. Fair enough.

He spoke calmly to the girl, giving her a friendly smile. "I also planned on heading out, so if you'd like to join me, be my guest. I'm Aoda, it's nice to meet you."

The player she had approached gave her a friendly reply. Airi almost let out an audible sigh of relief, but quickly composed herself. The red-haired girl walked toward him, until they were standing side to side, leaving a few inches between them. The man she had approached was, without a doubt, good-looking. He had long black hair, loosely tied back to keep the longer strands off his face, was a bit taller than her, and had the attractive face to match. Definitely the type her female classmates would squeal and drool over. Bringing that thought up to her mind almost made her smile fall. Her rich, naive, beautiful friends who all loved her. Have they forgotten her? Or do they go to where her physical body rested every month and shower her with a love that wouldn’t reach her?

Airi realized that she must have been staring for too long and looked in another direction, steadily inspecting the goods an NPC merchant was arranging in his stall. At the same time, she forced the thoughts out of her head. She was here now, and there was no going back to reality unless she moved from her current spot. “It’s nice to meet you too, Aoda. What’s the outside like?” she said in a cheerful but somewhat controlled voice, simply assuming that he had been there before since he sounded like he was used to heading out.

"What's it like?" The raven-haired individual thought for a moment, considering the right choice of words to describe the outside world. "It's honestly great out there, despite how dangerous it can get. The first floor is just open fields, for the most part, but it's still beautiful." He responded, hoping his answer was suitable. Aoda's hands entered the pockets of his pants as the duo continued on their way, almost reaching the safezone's exit. He wasn't worried about bringing a girl who hadn't left the Town of Beginnings outside of it's walls. With his newly crafted weapon, he had a feeling they would come back in one piece.

Prior to partying up with the girl, Aoda had noticed the she too used a one-handed curved sword. He respected that, as it was rare for him to come across someone who hadn't turned it into the Katana skill. Of course, there was no way of knowing whether or not she had planned to do that in the future without asking. "About your weapon. Are you sticking with a curved sword or are you going to switch to a katana when you get the chance?" It may have been an odd question to ask out of the blue, but he was interested.

Airi tilted her head in thought. It was a question she had never really thought about, since she hadn’t really cared about the weapon skills before she decided to help the clearers. “Well, I didn’t really take the curved sword skill with the knowledge that it had an extra skill. And I’ve heard from other people that katanas were way too mainstream? Like everyone who’s ever had the curved sword skill switched to it. So, no. I don’t think so. But hey, we can have both, right? Like can I have both the one-handed curved sword and the katana skill? I’ve heard of a few players who have two weapon skills.”

They were nearing the town exit. Airi couldn’t deny that she felt nervous. Really nervous. This was going to be her first time out of the safe zone and she was still in Level 1. It would be easy for the mobs to pick her off. Or heck, maybe even the person walking beside her could make her a one-hit kill. Crap. She was getting that weird feeling of anxiety in her stomach now. And she could feel the change in the expression of her face, her mask falling apart. Airi slowed her pace significantly and inhaled deeply. I am an innocent little girl who doubts no one and who doesn’t shy away from leaving the safe zone. Make it look like that. She felt the mask returning and sped up so she was walking beside Aoda once again, and gestured to the curved sword at his back. “What about you? Curved sword or katana?”

"Yep, you could, if you wanted to do that. Of course, without the Dual-Wielding skill, you can only use one sword at a time." Aoda responded, thinking about a man his sibling had once told him about. Dual-wielding was an interesting concept, one the stygian-haired man was quite fond of. With a single blade, Aoda's offhand felt sort of empty. This could be changed simply by adding a shield to it, however this didn't feel right to him. I'll get used to it eventually.

"I'll be sticking with the Curved Sword skill. Like you said, Katana's too mainstream, right?" He agreed with a friendly smile. Suddenly, the duo had reached the end of the safezone. Beyond the walls, there was nothing but vast, open fields and boars to challenge. "I assume you want to start by taking on one of them?" Aoda inquired, gesturing to one of the many boars covering the land.

Other than that, there wasn't much else he could think of doing, other than quests, but they'd be too challenging for two low-leveled players like themselves. He guaranteed that they could handle boars, as long as he did most of the tanking. If one of the beasts decided to move their aggro towards Airi, it could end badly. The monsters around them were adjusted to fit Aoda's level, which was surprisingly high compared to their base stats. The system expected a lot from a level three.

Aoda gripped his hand around the hilt of his curved sword as it was drawn from it's leather sheath. He approached a boar, prepared to make a swift disengage if necessary. "Let me tank damage. We don't need you dying out here." The lad told the girl. A red glow enveloped his blade as he activated a Sword Art, <<Rage Blow>>. Suddenly, he dashed towards the boar, who clearly didn't expect the assault from behind, dealing a third of it's health. "Whenever you're ready."

ID: 79748 BD: 9 (+1 DMG) MD: 5 (Miss)
Activated <<Rage Blow>> - 4+1*2*1= 10 DMG

Party:

[H:2] Aoda: 60/60 | Energy 4/6 | DMG: 4
[H:0] Airi: 20/20 | Energy 2/2 | DMG: 2

Enemies:

Boar: 20/30 | DMG: 9

Airi nodded, unsheathed her curved blade, and automatically slipped into a battle-ready stance. It was something she had seen other players doing whenever they were preparing for combat. She looked over the boar's stats: 30/30 HP and probably a lot of damage. The boar was strong. It wasn't something she could face by herself. Heck, it even seems too much for the two of them.  And what was it doing so close to the safe zone? Like many new players, she believed the common assumption that the weakest mobs were the ones nearest and the strongest were the ones farthest from the safe zone.

Her companion activated a Sword Art without the slightest hesitation and successfully landed the first hit. Airi readied her curved sword and followed after him, her sword glowing as she activated <<Rage Blow>>. The boar was big enough, hard to miss. She stopped, just near enough for the tip of her sword to reach the mob, and swung her blade horizontally. And missed by an inch. Too far! 

The glow of her blade died and she leaped back, moving to stand behind Aoda. He did say he was going to take the hits, right? An embarrassed blush colored her cheeks, but she didn't look away from the mob. "Sorry, I'll go in closer next time," she quickly apologized, fidgeting uneasily as she waited for the mob to retaliate. 

Spoiler

ID: 79960 | BD: 3 (fail)

[H:2] Aoda: 60/60 | Energy 4/6 | DMG: 4
[H:0] Airi: 20/20 | Energy 0/2 | DMG: 2

Boar: 20/30 | DMG: 9

Edited by Airi

Aoda watched carefully as the young girl swung at the boar, positioning himself to help if the boar were to suddenly change aggro and attack her. Instead, however, it ignored her completely, as if she wasn't even there. "Good. Don't look away from me." The lad muttered, waiting for the right moment to engage the animal. It charged at Aoda in fury, kicking dirt back as it moved. When he thought it was close enough, the swordsman, pulled down his blade, injuring their opponent once again.

As his sword touched the boar, he felt it's tusk insert itself into his leg. The boy winced for a moment, but was grateful that it didn't do too much damage. Pretty quickly they'd be done fighting the mob. It was his job to make sure his partner didn't take too much damage while they were still in combat. So far, he was doing that well.

ID: 79968 BD: 9 (+1 DMG) MD: 8 (Hit)
Activated <<Rage Blow>> - 4+1*2*1= 10 DMG

Party:

[H:4] Aoda: 51/60 | Energy 2/6 | DMG: 4

Enemies:

Boar: 10/30 | DMG: 9

Airi gripped her sword tightly. She would land a hit this time. The boar's HP was already low, it was easy to fight after all, with a level 3 player dishing out his strongest Sword Art. And it wouldn't be good if it stayed alive for too long. It dealt a lot of damage, took 9 of Aoda's health in one hit. And she didn't have any health potions for him to use. Did he have any? Maybe going out this early was a bad idea

She took action while the boar was preparing its next attack. The higher-leveled player had dealt enough damage, so if she landed a critical with her next attack, it wouldn't change aggro and start attacking her. The red-haired girl went in from the side this time, close enough to hit, and swung her blade. She didn't feel it dragging through the boar's side, was she supposed to? Airi backed away, out of the boar's attack range, and checked its health. No damage? Seriously? Was her hit blocked without her noticing or was she too far again? She looked back at Aoda and felt herself flush in embarrassment. If this trend of failures went on, she wouldn't even be able to land a hit on the boar! She turned away, hair shadowing her face. This definitely wasn't a good idea.

Spoiler

ID: 80073 | BD: 2 (fail)

[H:4] Aoda: 51/60 | Energy 2/6 | DMG: 4

Edited by Airi

The girl seemed distraught by the amount of times she had missed her attacks. A slight frown formed across Aoda's face as she turned away. The boy's energy was becoming low. He had enough for one last Sword Art. Of course, if he were to land it, he'd probably get the last hit, which was the opposite of what he wanted. He didn't really need anything from it anyway. He'd rather Airi had it, if possible. Not having any enhancements on her weapon wouldn't be too useful in the future.

Aoda once again went in to attack the boar, this time without activating any Sword Arts. He swung downwards, missing the boar by quite a lot. Thankfully, before it was able to retaliate, the stygian-haired young man rolled out of the way of the incoming attack.

Taking a breath, he stood up straight and stepped towards the red-haired girl. "Hey," He started, in attempt to cheer her up, "You'll hit it next time, trust me." Aoda hoped his party-member would feel better about the battle now that she had been given some reassurance. Now convinced that she'd be successful in damaging the boar, the swordsman stayed back and waited, watching for any surprise attacks from their opponent.

Spoiler

ID: 80195 BD: 1 (Miss) MD: 3 (Miss)

Party:

[H:4] Aoda: 51/60 | Energy 0/6 | DMG: 4

Enemies:

This time, Aoda and the boar both missed. Airi stood a safe distance away from the boar (who was, at least, still ignoring her presence) with her hands clasped behind her back. Maybe her bad luck was starting to become contagious. Then the dark-haired player stepped towards her and she instantly banished all the distracting thoughts and gripped her curved blade with one hand. He gave her some encouragement, which was a good thing, she guessed. "Maybe," she responded. Then she tapped his shoulder lightly to show that she appreciated his words and went forward.

The boar was just recovering from its usual charge attack, so it would be the easiest target to hit if she got there fast enough. And they were both out of energy, so it wouldn't be good to let the fight drag on. So she rushed forward, approaching the boar's side, and swung her blade downwards. To her surprise, her attack actually hit, dealing some damage to the mob. Was it her companion's encouragement or something? She backed away from the boar (thankfully, it still had most of its attention on Aoda) and sent the other player a bright grin, which was actually pretty rare for her. "I did it!" she sang, feeling almost giddy with her success. 

Spoiler

ID: 80221 | BD: 6 (success)

[H:1] Airi: 20/20 | Energy 0/2 | DMG: 2

Boar: 8/30 | DMG: 9

Edited by Airi

(Not the best quality post, but at least it's something. Sorry for the wait!)

Aoda's expression formed itself into a slight smirk as the girl nudged his shoulder. She'll do fine, so long as she focuses on hitting it. The noirette thought, turning to watch Airi continue their battle with the boar. She may not have done an incredible amount of damage, but she did enough to further progress the fight. All Aoda needed to do now was use a quick Sword Art and pray he landed a critical hit. Then the fight would be finished.

If only he was able to do that. Instead, he missed by a few inches, causing his footing to become unbalanced. Thankfully, the boar's attempt at striking Aoda was also unsuccessful. "Guess I'm the unlucky one now." He sighed, stepping back. Chances are, she'll be able to land another hit on this thing. That way, as long as neither of us miss, she might be able to get some better gear from the drop.

ID: 80301 BD: 2+1=3 (Miss) MD: 3 (Miss)

Party:

[H:1] @Airi: 20/20 | Energy 0/2 | DMG: 2

Enemies:

The young girl watched as her companion missed his attack and almost felt a slight twinge of worry as the boar attempted to retaliate. Almost. She watched the boar miss with a blank, calculating gaze. With Aoda's HP, he can take five normal hits from the mob. They needed to end this fight before that happens. She wouldn't want to be branded as that one low-leveled player who let her teammate die. Granted, it wasn't the worst thing that could happen to her, but it would definitely decrease her credibility as a player aspiring to play a support-role.

The boar turned away long enough for her to dart in and attempt to land a hit. It noticed her before her blade grazed its flesh and effectively dodged the attack. Airi stepped back as the mob pawed the ground, grunting at Aoda. "When we get out of this battle," she began, her voice taking on an exasperated tone. She didn't use if. It would only decrease the mood, which completely defeats the purpose of her talking. "I'm going to buy equipment that increases accuracy."

Spoiler

ID: 80942 | BD: 3 (fail)

Edited by Airi

"Maybe you'll get lucky and get a weapon from the drop," Aoda began, "Then you won't have to pay for one." More accuracy would definitely be helpful for the woman. Fighting was useless if the opponent can dodge all of your attacks. Having the buff would be a useful trait. "It's almost dead, let's finish it off." 

It was a shame that he didn't have enough energy for another Sword Art. The fight would go a lot quicker if this wasn't the case. The boar didn't seem to even react to the blade, which was inches away from it's body, until it was finally touched by it. A third critical hit, although this one did not do as much damage as the previous two. Lucky, he guessed. 

A single thought still sat in Aoda's mind. Would Airi be able to finish the job? He needed to make sure he as nearby, given the possibility that she could be attacked. Something similar had happened when he had met Aereth during a quest. The man didn't need to get someone so young killed, especially this early.

Spoiler

ID: 81002 BD: 9+1=10 (+1 DMG) MD: 2 (Miss)

Party:

[H:6] Aoda: 51/60 | Energy 0/6 | DMG: 4
[H:1] Airi: 20/20 | Energy 0/2 | DMG: 2

Enemies:

Boar: 3/30 | DMG: 9

"Hopefully," Airi said as she stood back and watched Aoda successfully land a hit on the boar. But would it be alright for her to take the loot? The more experienced player had dealt the most damage and took the attacks, and she only managed one successful hit that hardly dealt anything. She didn't bring that up, however. "But with my luck, it'll probably drop nothing but col and experience once we kill it." 

The mob was down to 3 HP now, and could be easily killed by a critical hit from her. If she managed to land it. She waited for the boar to attack (which it missed, thankfully) before going in from the side, like she always did, and swinging her curved blade. She wasn't even surprised when it the boar stepped out of her range, causing her to miss. Yeah, she didn't want to be a DPS player either.

Spoiler

ID: 81033 | BD: 4 (fail)

Edited by Airi

The girl seemed frustrated about missing so many attacks. He didn't blame her. Aoda would have felt the same way, probably. "You never know, maybe you will get lucky." The player responded, beginning his next, and hopefully, final attack. However, before he could even swing his sword, the boar was already rushing towards him. Aoda leaped out of the way, narrowly escaping the tusks of their opponent. Close one. The lad sighed.

"I guess we're not finishing this quite yet." He let out a soft laugh, picking himself up off the virtual ground. Would the girl be able to land a critical hit and end the fight? Good fortune's gotta start sometime, right? The boar's aggro was locked onto Aoda, giving him no time to relax. He waited intensely for the animal to make a move, however it didn't budge. It sat idle, making continuous grunts as it glared into his eyes.

ID: 81041 BD: 1+1=2 (Miss) MD: 5 (Miss)

Party:

Enemies:

"This will take an hour to finish," Airi sighed in response, with a ghost of a smile on her face. She watched as Aoda and the boar missed each other's attacks again with a slight amusement showing through her normally calm expression. At least he wasn't being relentlessly attacked by the mob while he missed all his attacks. She almost rolled her eyes at the thought of comforting herself with the worst possible outcome of their current situation. "Hey, I think my luck's getting contagious." 

With that joke made and quickly pushed aside by her, she immediately took action as the boar stopped and seemed to glare at the dark-haired man. Yeah, we want this fight to end too. But her terrible luck was determined to ruin all her attacks against the mob (or maybe every mob she'll ever fight), and she found herself tripping over nothing and using up a few seconds to re-balance herself. But once she found her balance, the mob had already recovered and was up and charging at Aoda again. 

Spoiler

ID: 81136 | BD: 1 (fail)

Edited by Airi

Giving a light chuckle at the joke the girl made, Aoda responded. "Definitely." Upon saying it, he noticed the beast regaining it's stamina. As soon as it was ready, it rushed towards him in a frenzy, but thankfully was unable to hit the lad. Another close call, but he'd be fine. It was unfortunate, but the dark-haired man was unable to even graze the boar with his blade.

It would be up to Airi now to at least deal a bit of damage. It seemed like Aoda was completely useless all of the sudden. Damn. Just one hit and it'll be dead. The player thought, imagining the frustration his ally must have been feeling with every failed attack. Calming himself down, he watched their enemy. Reckless attacks weren't cutting it. He needed focus. "Airi," He started, "I'll back you up. Go ahead and attack whenever you feel you are ready."

ID: 81166 BD: 1+1=2 (Miss) MD: 5 (Miss)

Party:

Enemies:

The red-haired girl couldn't suppress a giggle as Aoda and the boar missed each other's attacks...again. Then as the mob was preparing another one of its unsuccessful attacks, the higher-leveled player called out for her to attack. She would attack without his encouragement either way. Was he developing a strategy or something? Maybe. Airi didn't ask. It would take too much time for him to explain and she could hardly do anything but fight while they were in the middle of combat. Having an inability to multitask in stressful situations completely sucked.

Like...right now. She spent too much time thinking and now the boar was pawing the ground, close to attacking once again. But Airi didn't give it a chance. She rushed toward it, closing the distance in less than a second, and brought her blade down. And watched as it burst into red pixels. Critical hit. She backed away from where the mob had been standing before it disappeared and a message box popped up in front of her, detailing the loot and experience she received. Well, wow. She really didn't expect that to happen. If anything, she was so sure that she was going to miss again.

Airi looked over the message box quickly and then closed it, turning to Aoda with a playful smile. "Hey, why is it that I land a hit whenever you shout out encouragements?"

Spoiler

ID: 81239 | BD: 9 (critical success, +1 DMG)

[H:3] Airi: 20/20 | Energy 0/2 | DMG: 2

Boar: 0/30 | DMG: 9

ID: 81240 | LD: 11 | CD: 11

Aoda: 90 Col
Airi: 90 Col + 2 Crafting Materials

Edited by Airi