[SP-F1] <<The Second Lesson Is Also Free>>

It had been exactly one week since Aoda had finished his quest with Zackariah and met the blacksmith, Lyle Tealeaf. Now, he was ready to take on the next challenge thrown his way. The lad opened the heavy, wooden door to the smith and gave a smile as he entered. The NPC stood idly at the front desk, clearly waiting for the arrival of a player.

"Welcome back, traveler. As I told you the last time you were here, I've got a quick quest that I could use help with. It's simple enough to take on by yourself, since you are much better with a blade than I. I need three Boar Pup Tusks. They can all be found outside of town in the forest closest to the safezone. I do appreciate the help." The blacksmith explained.

Aoda quickly accepted the quest, inclined to get the fight done as quickly as he possibly could. He had gained a few levels in the week he'd been given to prepare for his new quest. The boy was ready for a fight.

• 2 weeks later...

The boar pups, from what he had been told, were weak creatures and didn't drop any rare loot, other than the materials he was after. If that were the case, it would be a shame. Aoda could use some potions or a new set of armor. Quietly, the noirette exited the shop, shooting a friendly wave to the shopkeeper as he stepped out. Luckily, the shop was near the Town of Beginning's exit. This would make it a lot quicker to finish off the quest and turn in the materials dropped by the Boar Pups.

Just like that, he left the town, his eyes gazing down the long, seemingly never ending fields. As he strolled through the plains, the lad came across a spotted, red mushroom, which upon further inspection appeared to be a crafting material. "This could come in handy later." Aoda told himself, picking it up before continuing his path.

ID: 79904
LD: 18
(+1 Material)

The mushroom seemed to be a lucky find, as there were no other materials in sight. This was a shame, since he had planned on taking the Earning a Living quest fairly soon, in order to take on a profession. He wasn't sure what he wanted to do, however. Since he was unable to switch his job later, it was a good idea to think about it before deciding too quickly. Cook or Artisan did sound like they could be intriguing though.

Turning around, he noticed a group of players fighting a group of boars. The two parties were about the same size, each containing four combatants. Part of him wanted to join in and help them out, since it seemed like their levels were boosting the strength of the monsters. However, he knew there was a quest that was in need of completing. Finish this first, then I can fight these boars.

ID: 79905
LD:  9

(1 Total Mat.)

Aoda turned away from the party in the distance and began stepping forward to a further part of the field, which was covered in small Boar Pups. The quest stated that he was to collect three "Boar Pup Tusks". Assuming they dropped one each, he'd need to fight at least three of the young creatures. How hard could it really be? They didn't seem to be that powerful. A lot weaker than most boars, if anything.

It was odd to be forced to fight creatures that were considered to be children. At first, it didn't sit right with the man, but he then came to the conclusion that they weren't real. None of this was. It wasn't as if he was killing a real animal. This was a virtual boar that would love to watch the lad shatter into pixels, as they had done to many other players before him.

ID: 79907
LD: 10

(1 Total Mat.)

Before approaching the monster, Aoda searched the ground around him, hoping there was a crafting material to be found. Alas, there were none. It didn't bother him too much, of course, as he wasn't even able to use them at that point, but they were always nice to have on him.

Aoda stepped forward, nearing one of the many pups. As soon as he came into range, the creature's aggro locked onto him. It's red eyes glared at him, presumably in attempt to intimidate the man. However, it didn't work in the slightest. The creatures health and damage were too low to create and intimidating feeling. He just felt inclined to start the fight as soon as possible.

The lad drew his blade, gripping the hilt with his dominant hand. He stood strong, waiting for an attack  to come from his opponent. However, there were none. It seemed like the boar was also waiting for an attack. "If that's the way you want it then."

Party:

Aoda: 60/60 | Energy: 6/6 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 1

Enemies

Boar Pup: 5/5 | DMG: 3

ID: 79911
LD: 8

(1 Total Mat.)

Edited by Aoda

Aoda challenged the boar with a swing of his blade. The pup dodged the weak slash with ease, however, causing the lad to fall unbalanced. This gave his opponent the chance to strike back. With a sudden squeal, the Boar Pup charge the young swordsman, knocking him over onto the virtual, green grass. That was a huge pain. I won't make that mistake again.

Aoda picked himself up off the ground and raised his one-handed curved sword. Better not let anybody know that I got knocked down by a weak creature like this guy. I'd never be let off the hook for that. He thought, a slight grin on his face as he approached the boar once again. "Let's try that again, shall we?" The young man muttered, glaring at the small beast. It's family had slain so many other players. He was going to make sure it didn't happen to him while he was taking on the quest.

ID: 79912 BD: 1+1=2 MD: 6

Party:

Aoda: 57/60 | Energy: 6/6 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 1

Enemies

Boar Pup: 5/5 | DMG: 3

Edited by Aoda

Aoda felt his blade cut straight through the Boar Pup upon touching it's virtual skin. Looking back, he saw the red line across it's side where it had been slashed. In retaliation, the beast had the swordsman's leg with it's hoof, dealing a minimum amount of damage. If the boars were any stronger, the quest might have been a challenge. However, they were even weaker than the standard pig, which wasn't much of a surprise, due to the name they were given; "Boar Pup".

As he fought the boar child, he wondered what it would feel like to take part in a real battle, against a competent opponent. This boar was child's play to him and he was such a low level. He needed to become stronger in order to battle with better skilled enemies. This quest would boost his stats a little, but it was nothing huge. Just a bit of health and such.

ID: 79914 BD: 7+1=8 MD: 7

Party:

Aoda: 54/60 | Energy: 6/6 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 1

Enemies

Boar Pup: 1/5 | DMG: 3

Edited by Aoda
  • 3 months later...

But how does one become stronger? A complicated question that Aoda could not answer himself. Perhaps he could find a mentor to help him, but he didn't know of anyone in particular who would be willing to do so. Suddenly, lost in thought, he realized the boar pup was in the middle of attacking him. Aoda was able to escape any incoming damage, but his retaliation was a complete miss. "Concentrate," He told himself, preparing a followup to the failed attempt at an attack.

He looked for any weaknesses the boar might have had. It was slow, for one, so he'd be able to dodge a majority of it's attacks while landing his own. And even if he was hit, the damage it would deal was minuscule compared to his own. Raising his curved sword, he stepped forward. The boar glared at him with it's small, red eyes, as if it were angered.

ID: 86267 BD: 1+1=2 MD: 2

Party:

Enemies

Boar Pup: 1/5 | DMG: 3

Edited by Aoda

Slice

The boar pup exploded, causing a number of blue pixels to appear before him. The swordsman sighed as the after-battle notification popped up, showing what was dropped; absolutely nothing. It was a bit of an inconvenience, but he'd still have to fight three more boar pups. Definitely unlucky. Thankfully, the field was covered in the pests, so he wouldn't need to search far to find one. Maybe this time he'd get lucky.

"Power takes time to achieve, I suppose." He let out an annoyed sigh, of course not wanting to trouble himself with the task of killing the virtual animals. It was a pain, but he needed the quest rewards fairly badly. "I'll make this quick. I'd rather not stay longer than necessary." He mumbled to himself, knowing he had other quests that had to get down as well, some a bit tougher than the one he was currently doing.

ID: 86268 BD: 9+1=10 LD: 2

Party:

Enemies

Boar Pup: 0/5 | DMG: 3

Edited by Aoda