[SP-F01] Tusk City <<The Second Lesson, Is Also Free>>

Following the long path back to the city gate, Furrow avoided confrontation with the other boars in the open field. While he wouldn’t have minded another fight to increase his experience pot, he didn’t particularly want to return to the city too late. He knew full well how bad he could get distracted when it came to combat, especially when he was training. Survival was a priority, and if he could better his chances; he’d take every opportunity. Every time he walked passed a lone boar or a pair of pups he was forced to resist a strong urge to lop off their heads. Thankfully he had another reason to keep walking. The parties in the field were quite aggressive today, and there were a number of beginner-looking players scattered in between the parties just trying to pick up the scraps. If it meant one of these players got an extra kill, then Furrow didn’t mind keeping his sword sheathed.

He gave one last glance towards the fields before marching into the city. Not slowing his stride, he took up a lane in the semi-crowded road and used his size to make his way through. The timing couldn’t have been worse on his end due to the increase of activity. But he wasn’t going to just stand around and wait for the road to open. Carriages moved through the middle, people kept to the edges, and he walked in the void between them. When a carriage passed, he took an opportunity to cut through and crossed the street.

Following the path way up and taking a few turns once he was into the city, Furrow made his way back to the blacksmith. When he reached the familiar door, he didn’t knock. He grabbed the handle and opened a path to get out of the hustle and bustle. Inside there were a few customers scattered around and a woman standing at the counter. Lyle was speaking with the woman. She looked quite annoyed but Furrow didn’t particularly plan on waiting all day for them to handle their problem. He walked up to the counter and excused himself.

“Ah, welcome back. Give me one moment and I’ll be with you.” Lyle cut that thought out of the equation, though. Furrow nodded and stepped back to avoid the glare the woman was giving him. She looked back to Lyle and continued from where the left off.

“I just need an extra sword. Please! Once I get my own back, I’ll return the one you let me borrow.” Furrow dared to eavesdrop from where he stood staring out the window. She seemed quite distraught.

“I’m sorry but I have no weapons to spare. And if I did, it would require some coin. I’m sorry, miss.” Lyle’s response was frank and he sighed after speaking. The woman huffed.

“Fine, then how much is it to make a sword?” She asked. Furrow looked over his shoulder to see her start navigating her menu. Lyle held up his hands.

“Miss, the amount of coin you told me earlier wouldn’t even pay for a dagger.”

“I said how much!” She stomped, her eyes ablaze with anger. Furrow sighed and turned around to see Lyle at a loss. The blacksmith looked at him and turned his hands, confirming the emotion.

“Excuse me, miss, but why are you so desperate for a sword?” Furrow approached, but kept a few feet from the woman just in case she lunged for his.

“None of your business.” She snapped. Okay, so at least he didn’t have to worry about her grabbing his sword.

“She says it was stolen.” Lyle answered in her place. That struck a chord and she pounded on the counter. Lyle jumped.

“Because it was!”

“Okay, okay.” Furrow held up his hands, as if to try and ease the situation. “Deep breath. Fill me in and maybe I can help you.”

The woman eyed him warily. She checked his gear and then eyed his sword. Furrow’s right arm tensed, ready to protect the weapon just in case. She didn’t make a move towards him, though, and simply crossed her arms.

“You look like you’d have trouble with some boar. Even if you wanted to help, you’d be useless in a fight.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure.” Furrow responded. Sure he wasn’t a high level, but he was confident in his skills as a fighter. He opened his inventory to retrieve the boar tusks. He passed them to Lyle and nodded. Lyle took the tusks and walked away to fetch the reward. The woman eyed the exchange. “I’m not a high leveled fighter and I’m not the most skilled, but I’m not foolish enough to lose my sword.”

She sucked her teeth.

“Really helping yourself out there, bud.”

“You look to be a low level as well and if you’re here and can’t afford a dagger, that only proves that point. No offense, Lyle.”

“None taken.” Lyle returned from his forge and placed two pieces of equipment on the counter. “Pick. Sword or Armor.”

“Armor, thanks. I’ll replace my sword another time.” Confident in his choice, Furrow picked up the armor and swapped out his old gear for it. Lyle slid the sword out of the way.

“Go help this young lady for me. When your done, I’ll have another job for you.”

“Why is it assumed that he’s going to help me?” The woman asked.

“Because I doubt anyone else will right now. You can take your chances with me, or go make a fool of yourself outside. What’s your choice?” Furrow eased back onto his heels and placed his hands on his hips, wary that he could be told to just go screw himself. If that were the case, then that was no problem. Lyle already had more work for him, apparently, so she would just be extra. But, while he came off a bit rough; he was truly concerned for her. Even if she told him no, he doubted he would let her leave.

The woman sighed and closed her eyes in frustration. She pinched the bridge of her nose and stood in silence for a couple beats before seemingly giving up. Her shoulders dropped and she shook her head. She turned and began to trudge out of the shop.

“Fine… Follow me.” She muttered and waved for Furrow to follow. He nodded and turned to do so.

“Hey.” Lyle called. Furrow stopped and turned. Immediately, he shot a hand up and grabbed the sword that had been tossed to him. It was the same one Lyle had offered him as a reward. “Bring it back when you’re done.”

“Thanks.” Furrow followed the woman outside, then shoved the sword into her arms. She accepted it with a grumble. “Alright. Start from the beginning.”

Word Count: 1135

Objective: Collect [3] Boar Pup Tusks COMPLETED

Reward: x1 Tier One Armor - Mitigation Slot +1, Safeguard Potion, 3 SP, 400 Col.