[SP-F1] <The First Few Lessons are Free> Treading Water

((A lot of my starter role plays will be based in the past because I'm cliche and really want to flesh out this character's story. With that being said, here we go!))

Kelly stared at her hands. They weren't exactly hers, the lines in her palms were completely wrong, she was missing the rougher calluses from physical training, but they were roughly the same size as they should be. Her face, however, was a perfect match. Small scars she had earned over the years were reflected in great detail in this digital world. The long flowing red hair she picked out for herself was replaced by her own shorter and more functional jet black hair. Green eyes Kelly vaguely remembered had disappeared as well, the darkened eyes of a rabid dog stared back at her own reflection, the eyes of a warrior who had seen enough death and destruction. Fortunately, the mirror had vanished into thin air, and shortly after the Game Master had  also taken his leave.

Tension and panic overwhelmed the players around her. The joyous anticipation of a new game that she saw in people only an hour ago was quickly replaced by furious players who had no one to unleash their wrath on, players consumed by sorrow and despair who had all but given up on life, and then there were the players who were already on the move. What drove them? How are they truly coping with the fact that they are trapped in this game of life and death? I can't help but think that I'm going to die in this world. How many of those other people are thinking the same way as I am? How can they push themselves to leave the square after all that? At that moment it dawned on her, Kelly has a military career that she had dedicated her life to. That training alone should get her through this nightmare. The rest is up to me. I guess I'm Tread now.

At that moment, Tread made a one-eighty and headed for one of the many exits from the city center. She needed to level hard and the best way to do it would be to start questing. Thankfully, she had spotted a quest in an Alchemist's shop earlier while she explored the Town of Beginnings. It wasn't too far away from where she was at now and being in the starting zone, it should be easy enough to complete. Despite this being her first time in the world of Aincrad, this wasn't her first MMO. Chances are, she would have to kill some sort of mob and take their eyes for some sort of attack potion. hate fetch quests. 

The quaint shop was easy enough to find. The building looked old, but well maintained. Green vines weave between each other on the walls and planter boxes with various flora and vegetables growing inside sat between the entrance of the alchemist's corner store. At this point, players began funneling by in greater numbers, searching for their own escape from this world. Tread watched them out of the corner of her eye remembering as many faces as possible. Perhaps a few of them will be allies in the future. Enough people watching, let's do this. 

Tread entered the building and she was immediately assaulted by the smell of plants, potions, and dusty tomes. At the center of it all was a large, old man. His silver hair went past his shoulders and he had a scraggly beard. "Hello and welcome to my humble shop!" The man's voice boomed, despite his announcement, he didn't seem so humble. "My name is Zackariah, how may I be of service?" Despite being a non-player character, he seemed so alive. It's incredible how much work was put into this twisted game. Real care was put into it to bring Aincrad to life.

"I was hoping you could give me some work." It was hard for Tread to believe she wasn't talking to a real person, would it even understand what she said?

"You seek work? Ah I may have a task for you, but first I want you to run an errand for me. You see, I need five different ingredients for a potion I'm working on, but I don't have the time to leave my shop to retrieve them. They are Peacebloom, Silverleaf, Earthroot, Bruiseweed, and Kingsblood. Can you do that for me?" 

hate fetch quests. "Yes, I think I can manage that. Where can I find them?

"Search for them in the wild. I trust it won't take long at all for you to find them as long as you trust your instincts and leave the boars alone for now." Zackariah began swishing around a potion, signifying that he has said all that is necessary for the quest to begin. Tread would spend the better part of her time in the wilderness picking flowers and roots like some kind of wannabe hippy. The experience is worth it.   

Upon leaving Zackariah's shop, Tread found the city streets in a frenzy of players trying to find any means of escape. Some were purchasing gear from vendors, others were taking on quests that were probably way out of their league, while other ran past towards the northern gates. Maybe they had quests that Tread hadn't discovered yet, or maybe they were going to grind out on the boars and wolves, it didn't matter. She had her own mission to contend with. She took a deep breath of the temperate air, it smelled sweet, almost like a freshly mowed lawn. It could very well be the nearby forest and the calm breeze shifting the scent towards the city.

Whatever is out there, I can handle it. Or die trying. Tread headed for the nearby gates with a brisk walk. Despite the circumstances, she was calm and focused. Her enemies would die, plants would be picked, and she would return to her life. Although, this life of being whoever she wanted to be felt refreshing. Tread smirked as she marched on. The journey will be hard, but the reward at the destination is more than enough to fight for. And that's why I have to pick flowers now. Where did I go wrong in my life to deserve that? 

Tread strolled through the towering gates and found herself staring down the vast plains of floor one at sunset. It would be kind of romantic if the situation wasn't so messed up. Despite that, she immediately scanned her surroundings for any sign of the ingredients on her fetch quest. No dice, I should have figured it'd be harder than just walking outside of the walls. 

Spoiler

ID# 93533 

LD: 5 

Edited by Tread

Despite the gravity of the situation, the scenery is truly remarkable. Soft breezes ruffle the grass as Tread casually walked along the cobblestone path. There were players off in the distance, some fighting creatures while others appeared to be gathering materials for either quests or their own personal gain. It didn't matter, she was caught up in the beauty of this world while trying to attain her own goals. How did it go? I do, therefore I am? I could see it being easy to lose yourself in this world. To lose your sense of purpose, your will, your way of life. This world is amazing, though. It's only day one and yet, I kind of feel at home here. Have I lost my mind? Stay focused. Complacency kills, so does a wandering mind.

Once again, Tread surveyed the land around her. At this rate it'll take forever to find the quest items. That's probably the whole point of this. to learn patience and to trust your own ability. I'm probably giving that old hippy too much credit, especially since it's just an NPC. I am losing my mind after all. How ironic.Tread stepped off of the path and into the grass. At that point, she couldn't help but feel exposed. Her black armor with the backdrop of all the greenery made her stick out like a sore thumb. I might have to rethink my color scheme from here on out. Camouflage doesn't mean much here, but I can't shake the feeling of being so exposed.

A faint glimmer caught Tread's eye. She approached the object on the ground and squatted down to get a closer look. The item name appeared over the object and sure enough, it was Earthroot. One of five ingredients for her quest objective. Maybe that old hippy does know what he's talking about.

Spoiler

ID# 93611

LD: 14

Edited by Tread