[PP-F1] Repent, Nepents! <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>> (Benjamin B.) - COMPLETE!

Pinball stood near the teleporter, leaning on his spear. Players and NPCs alike were out and about, tending to their business. Pinball was here on the First Floor to finish one of the few low level quests he hadn't taken: The Secret Medicine of the Forest. He figured there would be another low level player on this floor with the same idea, and so he waited. Pinball scanned the crowd, looking for anyone who stood out as "low-leveled". He locked on to one lad with brown hair, not too far from him. "Oopsie daisy," the boy said, hefting his spear off the ground with one hand. He jogged over to the player. He stuttered at first, but quickly recovered, "H-hey. Excuse me. Uhh, do you... do you wanna do a quest with me?" It must seem very strange, having someone you didn't know approaching you and asking if you wanted to accompany them on a quest. Realizing this, Pinball continued. "It's not like you need to or anything- It's just - I'm a low level, too. And I'd like a bit uhh... a bit of help." He placed the butt of his spear against the ground, and leaned against it. This must be super suspicious. He wiped his eyes. "God, this is weird. The quest is called Secret Medicine of the Forest. You wanna come?" His face was a bright red. He wasn't nearly used to engaging in a conversation, and it was painfully obvious. Pinball sighed, and awaited his response. 

Player Stats:

Spoiler

Pinball 

Lvl: 12 | HP: 240 | EN: 24 | EVA: 3 | DMG: 4

Equipped: 

• Leather Armor of the Amateur Duelist: 3 EVA {3 Slots} 
  • Cloak of the Harbingers: +3 LD {3 Slots}
  • Naughty or Nice Blade: +2 Freeze, +1 Phase, Cursed {4 Slots} 

Skills: 

• 2H-Assault Spear ~ Rank 2 (+3 Dmg)
  • Dagger ~ Rank 1 
  • Fishing 

Battle Ready Inventory: 

• {3} Tier One Health Potions of Uncommon Quality ~ +40 HP

@Benjamin Bookworm

Edited by Pinball
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben had been running back to his shop, trying to get a few more potions done before he headed out when he heard someone calling his name.  "Me? Yea!  I've been looking for a few more players to quest with.  I can tag along if you need a second for it." he replied with a smile.  Finally, someone else to quest with!  Even if he wasn't able to buy his healing skill yet, this was a fantastic start.  He was glad someone else was out asking people to join on quests- after the rejections he had gotten, it was starting to feel like he was the only other player trying to organize a party on this floor.

"I haven't heard about this quest before... what kind of dangers are we facing?  I can grab exactly... um, well I can bring some healing potions.  In the future I can grab exactly what is needed for the quest, but mostly my skills are 'stabbing things' and 'tossing potions'."

Stats

Spoiler

Level - 3
HP - 60 / 60
ENG - 6 / 6
DMG - 2
MIT - 0
ACC - 0
EVA - 0

Battle Ready items -

(3) Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP)

(1) Basic healing salve (Heals 40 HP)

Sword Arts -

• [x2 Stun] Side Bite (5 Energy) - Stab your opponent in both sides, pincing nerves, stunning opponent.
  • [x2] Round Accel (2 Energy) - Dash around target at high speeds, delivering two slash/stabs into target.

Pinball laughed, and he lightened up a bit. He was glad the player didn't do anything to make it even more awkward, though Pinball was the one to blame for approaching like that. "Cool!" Pinball offered his hand. "The name's Pinball, by the way." Pinball shrugged. "Not much danger, to be honest. Just a few low leveled mobs. We should breeze through it, to be quite frank with you." Pinball looked past the player, out towards the street. Then he looked back. "Stabbing things is just what we need. And I'm sure potions will come in handy, though we probably won't need them." Pinball paused, then continued. "I'll take most of the hits, if you want. I'll keep their attention as long I can. If you're ready, we can start walking. I'll lead the way - just let me know." Pinball swiped open his own menu, checking to make sure everything was in order. He switched over to the "Party" tab, and peered over at him. "You're Benjamin, yeah?" He didn't want to invite the wrong person, after all. The menu listed all players available for a party request in the area. 

Edited by Pinball

Ben hurriedly went through his inventory to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything in haste.  "Yep! Benjamin Bookworm's the name.  I was going to get myself a caterpillar familiar to make a joke with it, but I don't have a spare skill slot yet so I'm waiting on that.  Not the best joke, but, yea."

"I can stay back and try and help thin out the enemy numbers.  I've never taken on a mob yet, so it'll be interesting to see how my sword arts work.  The best one I have at this level is the stunning one, but I don't have anything that can target multiple baddies at once if it comes to that.  Oh, and I'm ready to move when you are.  Just added my first ever crafted healing salve to my inventory as well." he smiled awkwardly, hoping he didn't come off as too energetic as he slipped his daggers into their holsters.  Hopefully they would get some good use this quest. 

Pinball snorted, appreciating the humour. "When I was twelve, I wanted to get a rottweiler, so I could name it zombie." Pinball looked at him for a moment, letting that sink in. "'Cause... 'Cause it's a rot-tweiler." Pinball wheezed, slapping his knee. Then, suddenly, he straightened. "Alright, let's-a-go." He started walking off, where he knew he would find the quest's location. He had scoped out the area not too long ago, and had talked to a group of players who were undertaking the quest. That had been yesterday. Pinball stretched, twirled his spear with both hands over his head in a helicopter-like fashion. "Hey, you use daggers?" Pinball noticed the blade on his side. "I have an old one you could have, if you want. I don't know the quality of yours, so I won't make you... but the one I'll give you is Rare, and has a plus one to damage and to accuracy." Pinball shrugged, not stopping his walk. "It's my old dagger, and I literally can't use it anymore." Pinball turned towards Benjamin as he walked, walking backwards. "Literally. Even if I wanted to. Check it," he said, and he stopped. He threw his spear as far as he could, and it landed a good ways in the dirt. Then, the spear dissapeared. It reappeared in his hands with a flash of blue light. "This spear - It's cursed. I can't get rid of it.

Edited by Pinball

Ben had been thinking of another joke to counter when Pinball offered him one of his old daggers.  "Seriously?   I would love that- I grabbed the support package when I started so I don't have any bonuses at all on these ones.  I figured they would work best for me because they take so little energy to use."  He looked out over the area that Pinball had been leading him too, nervous because combat was so close by.  He hadn't seen anything that they had to fight, but readied his weapon just in case.

"So, um, I suppose I will let you lead they way against these guys, and I'll follow up afterwards?  I'll try and focus on the damaged ones so we thin these guys out quicker.  And I'll use some of the potion I have if we get knocked down to half health.  Better safe than dead is how I like to look at it."

They arrived in the forest. Pinball didn't step in and start walking however. He listend as Benjamin described his plan, and nodded. "Yeah, I agree. I doubt we'll be knocked down too badly, but that'd be good. If you can, stun one of them. It'll be easier to not have to worry about a hit." Pinball then swiped open his trade menu, and sent a request to Benjamin. He took one last look at his dagger. It had been his very first weapon, and it was the last dagger, or any other weapon for that matter, he would ever use. "Take care of it, yeah? It holds a special place in my heart. And- when you're through with it, please don't throw it away. Pass it on to someone else who needs it." He sent the dagger over, and slammed the butt of his spear into the ground. "Alright! You ready to go? I'll take the lead, just equip the dagger, first." Pinball nodded, crossed his arms around his spear, and waited.

*Sent to Benjamin Bookworm: 

Emerald Shiv:

Spoiler

Name: Emerald Shiv

Your Profession: Blacksmith

Your Rank: Rank 5

Roll ID: 86961

Roll: 9 (+1CD) = 10

Item Type: Dagger     
Tier: 

Quality: Rare

Enhancements: +1 Accuracy <Increase BD by 1, cannot cause crit> +1 Damage <Increase base damage by 1>

Description: While having the appearance of a regular dagger, the blade is a emerald colour. 

Link: http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/14559-floor-4-rank-5-blacksmith-a-heroes-infinite-arsenal/?page=3#comment-522418

Ben accepted the trade from his HUD, switching the new weapon out for his old ones and pulling them out.  They felt lighter than his old ones, and their stats showed they would do significantly more damage.  He barely even glanced at his menu as it updated his stats, even though he knew they went up significantly.  He supposed, even though he started out this journey to find other new players to help, he was inexperienced enough right now to need all the help he could get. 

"Thanks so much!  Of course I'll take care of these.  You can't let a well made weapon go to waste, especially in a game like this where players don't get a second chance.  I'll make sure it's used to keep players safe as long as I'm able to."

"Oh, and I'm ready to go when you are." he said, spinning the daggers in his hands and enjoying the feeling of a new weapon.

<Emerald Shiv> equipped

Stats

Spoiler

Level - 3
HP - 60 / 60
ENG - 6 / 6
DMG - 3 (Base 1, +1 skill, +1 Weapon)
MIT - 0
ACC - +1
EVA - 0

[EQ] [T1 Rare Dagger] Emerald Shiv - ACC 1, DMG 1

Battle Ready items -

(3) Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP)

(1) Basic healing salve (Heals 40 HP)

Sword Arts -

• [x2 Stun] Side Bite (5 Energy) - Stab your opponent in both sides, pincing nerves, stunning opponent.
  • [x2] Round Accel (2 Energy) - Dash around target at high speeds, delivering two slash/stabs into target.

It was as if the Nepents were already waiting. Pinball had barely taken a few steps into the forest before they arrived. Four of them, all at once, coming out of the forest without warning. Pinball jumped back. "Alright, here I go!" Pinball activated his sword skill, Hellish Twins. "Here's a first," he muttered as it activated. It was, in fact, the very first sword art he would use with this weapon... the very first Sword Art he would use with any weapon besides the dagger. He jumped from enemy to enemy, managing to hit only one of them, killing it. "Well, that was a waste of energy," he growled, jumping back and gripping his spear. Two of the nepents lashed out at him - they both missed. When the last two took their turns, he had dodged both, the first just barely missing and the other not hitting anywhere near him. "I soaked up the attacks, and I have their attention," he shouted to Benjamin, "pick your target!

Combat: 

Spoiler

~Combat~ 

PINBALL - Hellish Twice= 4x4= 16 AOE

- 8 EN 

{NEPENT 1} ID# 93618 BD: 3 MD: 9 (TARGET: PINBALL,CRIT +1,4 DMG)

{NEPENT 2} ID# 93619 BD:3 MD: 8 - 3 = 5 (TARGET: PINBALL, MISS)

{NEPENT 3} ID# 93620 BD: 9 MD: 10 <<DEAD>>

16 DMG + FREEZE + PHASE ACTIVATED

{NEPENT 4} ID# 93621 BD: 5 MD: 3 (TARGET: PINBALL, MISS)

- Enemies - 

{NEPENT 1} 7/7 HP / 3 DMG 

{NEPENT 2} 7/7 HP / 3 DMG 

[NEPENT 3} 0/7 HP / 3 DMG

{NEPENT 4} 7/7 HP / 3 DMG 

- Players - 

{H:2} Pinball: 236/240 HP / 16/24 EN / 3 EVA 

{H:0} @Benjamin Bookworm: 60/60 HP / 6/6 EN / 1 ACC / 3 DMG 

Edited by Pinball

The Nepents rushing out of the forest caught Ben off guard, freezing him with fear for the first few precious seconds.  Pinball's attack managed to snap him out of it as he dashed forward- these things didn't seem to hit very hard, and already used all their attacks on his friend. He was going to smash them up. 
"Feel my sting!" he shouted as he swung at the first baddie at its center and readied his sword arts for once he connected...

Spoiler

Attack roll Vs Nepent 4 - ID 93642 - BD (1 + 1) = 2 Miss!

- Enemies - 

{NEPENT 1} 7/7 HP / 3 DMG 

{NEPENT 2} 7/7 HP / 3 DMG 

[NEPENT 3} 0/7 HP / 3 DMG

{NEPENT 4} 7/7 HP / 3 DMG 

- Players - 

{H:2} Pinball: 236/240 HP / 16/24 EN / 3 EVA 

{H:0} @Benjamin Bookworm: 60/60 HP / 4/6 EN / 1 ACC / 3 DMG 

and went right by them, getting nothing but air as he flew by without them so much as noticing.  He stumbled onto the other side of the battlefield, luckily not bringing anything else into the fight, before righting himself for another go.  "Ah, sorry Pinball.  That didn't work." he shouted as he tried to catch his breath "but at least you were right about these guys being easy mobs to take on! Let's hit them again!"

Edited by Benjamin Bookworm
adding roll results for combat

Pinball nodded. "I'll go for another AOE, and then we can pick them off after that! Don't worry too much, you'll have plenty of chances to hit them!" Pinball pulled his spear upright, ready to acctivate another sword skill. But the Nepents were faster. The three remaining Nepents each attacked him, one after the other. Pinball jumped this way and that, successfully dodging each of their attacks. When their attack was through, it was his turn. Pinball once again activated Hellish Twice, his strongest unlocked AOE Sword Art. This time, he manage to strike two of the nepents. The monsters let out a shriek and burst into shards, dead. "You got this one," Pinball said, pointing with his finger, "lucky number two. Get him!" Pinball jumped back, tense and ready for another attack. The nepents would only target him, as he had landed two crits in the previous two rounds of combat. His hate had to be at least double that of Benjamin's, though he couldn't be sure. "Don't be scared - it already attacked me, it won't attack you this round."

Combat

Spoiler

~Combat~ 

PINBALL - Hellish Twice= 4x4= 16 AOE

- 8 EN 

{NEPENT 1} ID# 93643  BD: 9 (Crit! +1 to base = 20 dmg) MD: 2 (TARGET: PINBALL, MISS)

20 DMG + FREEZE + PHASE ACTIVATED

{NEPENT 2} ID# 93644 BD:3 (Miss!) MD: 6 - 3 = 3 (TARGET: PINBALL, MISS)

{NEPENT 4} ID# 93645 BD: 6 (Hit!) MD: 3 (TARGET: PINBALL, MISS) 

16 DMG + FREEZE + PHASE ACTIVATED

- Enemies - 

{NEPENT 1} 0/7 HP / 3 DMG 

{NEPENT 2} 7/7 HP / 3 DMG 

[NEPENT 3} 0/7 HP / 3 DMG

{NEPENT 4} 0/7 HP / 3 DMG 

- Players - 

{H:0} Pinball: 236/240 HP / 8/24 EN / 3 EVA 

{H:0} @Benjamin Bookworm: 60/60 HP / 4/6 EN / 1 ACC / 3 DMG 

OOC NOTE: I tracked hate incorrectly; I'm supposed to track it by each individual mob. However, as Benjamin missed, he has 0 Hate with Nepent 2. Pinball, since he hasn't hit Nepent 2, also has 0 hate. 

Edited by Pinball

Ben follow up Pinball's attack determined to get at least one hit in against these things.  Ben set his footing once again, readying another charge, but this time he wouldn't overshoot his mark.  The Nepent had stopped moving for a few seconds after it's attack, so this was his chance!  His daggers shone brightly in the sun of the floor's natural weather as he once again charged, striking the Nepent in it's middle and landing a critical blow!  The monster blew apart into a pile of pixels, finishing off the last of the mob for good. "Got it!  That was awesome!" he said as he offered Pinball a high 5, beaming with the pride of a job well done.

"So I guess we hit the boss next, right?  Or do you need to catch your breath a bit- those big sword arts must have taken a lot of energy to pull off."

Spoiler

Roll ID - 93649

Attack roll Vs Nepent 2 - BD 10 - Critical Hit!  
Activates Round Accel Sword Art ( 2 ENG) for (3+2)*2 = 10 damage!
Nepent 2 is defeated!

- Enemies - 

{NEPENT 1} 0/7 HP / 3 DMG 

{NEPENT 2} 0/7 HP / 3 DMG 

[NEPENT 3} 0/7 HP / 3 DMG

{NEPENT 4} 0/7 HP / 3 DMG 

- Players - 

{H:2} Pinball: 236/240 HP / 8/24 EN / 3 EVA 

{H:0} Benjamin Bookworm: 60/60 HP / 3/6 EN / 1 ACC / 3 DMG
(Recovers 1 at start of post, -2 for sword art)

Edited by Benjamin Bookworm

"Yeah, let's take a small break," he said, letting out a breath he had been holding. Even though he knew the Nepent wouldn't have attacked him, he couldn't help but feel worried. Benjamin was a way lower level than he was, and so Pinball felt responsible to carry him through the quest unharmed. "Only a small one, though. Just to let my energy recover - we need to keep moving. There's only a small chance that the Variant will drop the item we need." He stretched, then leaned against a tree, his staff held in one hand. "So," he said, attempting conversation, "your username. Is Benjamin your real name? It's an odd name for a username, I think. Especially when we were all expecting to be playing an avatar, not ourselves." Pinball shrugged. "I shouldn't judge, I guess. Mine is pretty childish, and the origin of it isn't much cooler either."  He watched his energy slowly creep back up, only by a single, tiny pixel. The auto regen would initiate soon, he would just need some more time. 

REGEN: 

Health +10 - 236/240 -> 240/240 

EN Auto Rec. 1/3 

Edited by Pinball

"Well, um, yea it is.  It's a common enough name that I can pull it off.  Besides, I wanted something to alliterate with Bookworm since I was going to be a scholar-ish type build here, and I wanted something fun to call myself.  It was more spur of the moment than anything, I really hadn't thought about what to call myself before I logged in." Ben said as he started to catch his breath.  His own energy bar filled up a lot quicker, but just one big sword art could almost completely deplete it if he wasn't careful, so that was something he'd have to be aware of in these larger fights. 

"Um, anyways, if it's a low drop rate for this item, do you have any way to increase our chances?  I haven't gotten any items to increase my loot drops yet - though I have one commissioned.  How about you?"

EN Auto Rec 1/3

Pinball nodded. It was a good enough response. He once again checked his health bar. His energy recovered a tiny bit once more. In a few seconds, it would automatically regenerate, and they could complete their quest... maybe. When Ben asked about the drop rate of the item, he shrugged. "Nah, I don't got anything. Lemme think," he said, scratching his head. "Would it be a... five percent drop? Or a ten percent?" He sighed. "I don't remember. I'm bad with numbers." He tugged on his cloak, showing Ben. "This increases my chances a tiny bit, actually. But the difference is still small, so we might need to fight more than one boss." Pinball took a second to think again. "Ideally, we would have consumables that would boost our chances. I'm a cook, so I can make those - but I didn't bring any." He laughed. "That's poor planning on my part." Pinball slammed his spear into the dirt. "Don't worry though, we should make quick work of the mobs here. After all, it's only the first floor. We should be able to handle anything it throws out at us... unless we go fishing." He shuddered.

EN - 2/3

"Fishing?  That's... dangerous?  I'm glad I never picked up the skill then.  That sounds really tough.  I'm specializing on gathering materials, which is a lot safer and unfortunately a lot slower.  Still, so far it's been a good way to head out with friends.  I've already had a successful group outing in the forest doing this."

"I don't have any recipes like that in my alchemy book, just lots of healing items.  Actually at my level, I only have two recipes I can make, which would be disappointing if healing potions weren't so darn useful.  Or that crafting things ended in failure so many times."  Ben explained.  "Maybe next time we could plan things out as a group to cover these bases.  Heck, once I get more options of what to craft, I can keep a few extra miscellaneous bits around for occasions like this."

"So do you know if the boss will have any special attacks that we have to worry about, or is it just going to be a lot bigger than those minions?"

EN Auto Rec 2/3

Pinball nodded. "Yeah, travelling as a group can be troublesome, if everyone isn't focused on the task at hand." Pinball picked up Benjamin saying you're an alchemist. "So, you can make potions and stuff? I might have to stop by. Fishing is very dangerous." Pinball shook his head, filled with anxiety. "I nearly died fighting a monster I reeled in. I was left in the red, and I was sure that's where I was going to die." Pinball nodded. "Yeah, potions would be useful. Especially since I'm going to gather party of friends to hunt down and kill the monster that nearly killed me, when I get the free time. For now, levelling up is my focus."

"The boss is called The Nepent Variant. It's a lot bigger than the ones we fought, it does more damage, and it's a lot tougher." Pinball shrugged. "Still, if we put out a good amount of attacks, we'll be fine. So long as you stay behind me, you shouldn't really be getting hit at all." Pinball scratched his chin. "That is, unless I miss my own attacks, and you hit yours. But!" Pinball stood up, and started walking. "It's time to fight a boss. Onwards!

EN Rec: 3/3 - Energy fully recovered!

Ben followed Pinball ahead, a bit worried about the bigger monster, but since it was only one, it shouldn't be quite as bad.  At least this would be able to be stunned if Ben got a good hit in.  Pinball had been doing some really good damage as well, so that should be enough to push them both forward.  He took a moment to check that all his health potions were ready anyways, no sense in taking chances.

"Yep, you can stop by any time you want.  Though I just only opened up, so I haven't made any stock quite yet.  After three days I only have one successful salve created to show for it, so hopefully once I level up my crafting skills I'll have better luck.  This week I'm planning on making as many health potions as I can squeeze out, since they seem to be in demand pretty much everywhere."

EN Rec: 3/3 - Energy fully recovered!   Time to party!

The variant was in sight now. Pinball pulled his spear out, and waited. The Nepent Variant lashed out, but the attack went wide, missing the both of them. Pinball activated one of his Sword Arts, Mighty Charge, and rushed the Variant. But the monster let out a loud shriek, and Pinball flinched. The movement canceled the Sword Art, and Pinball backed up, his eyes not leaving the plant monster. "Hey," he called to Ben, "be careful. Try to stun it, if you can." Pinball backed up even further, spreading the distance between the player and the mob. The monster was extremely weak to what he had heard, but Pinball figured he'd rather be safe than sorry. "Keep a potion ready, too. It attacked already, so it'll take a second before it goes again. You've got a free shot." Pinball nodded, determined. He was going to kill this thing, and pray to God that the item dropped. He didn't feel like repeating this cycle over and over again.

Combat:

Spoiler

~Combat~ 

ID# 93654 

BD: 4 (Miss!) MD: 1 (Critical Miss!)

Nepent Variant attacks Pinball! 

Nepent Variant misses! 

Pinball activates Mighty Charge! 

Pinball misses. 

-2 EN 

- Enemies - 

{Nepent Variant} 15/15 HP / 10 DMG / 5 MIT 

- Players - 

{H:0} Pinball: 240/240 HP / 22/24 EN / 3 EVA 

{H:0} @Benjamin Bookworm: 60/60 HP / 6/6 EN / 1 ACC / 3 DMG 

Edited by Pinball

Ben moved past Pinball, taking the shot he was given at the monster's side.  "OK, charging in!" he shouted as he tried to grab first blood against this monster, hoping to stun it before it got another attack in.  This guy was a lot bigger than the previous monsters, and Ben wasn't sure he could put a dent into it, but he had to help somehow.  And maybe stun it if he was lucky.

His first attack drove home, slamming into the side of the monster as it let out a cry.  Ben twisted the dagger in it's side, putting all his effort into his sword art as he pushed to keep the monster from moving, and was awarded with a flash in his HUD that showed the Nepent was stunned.

"Got it, your turn Pinball, hit it hard! It shouldn't be able to move for the next few seconds!"

Spoiler

~Combat~ 

ID# 93655

BD: 8 +1 acc = 9 Hit!

Benjamin activates Side Bite

Benjamin deals (3 x 2) - 5 = 1 damage

-5 EN

Nepent Variant is stunned

-2 EN 

- Enemies - 

{Nepent Variant} 14/15 HP / 10 DMG / 5 MIT  [Stunned 1/1 turns]

- Players -