[PP-F5] The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly- COMPLETE

The arid realm of the fifth floor had a distinctly Old Western feel to it. The whole floor was covered largely by a parched wasteland, with oceans of sand and rocky crags dotting the landscape. Even the name of the area's main settlement was a tribute to the American southwest: <>, the archetypical frontier town. The only difference was that most of the buildings in town were dome shaped, and looked like they'd been made from clay. As Kane strolled its streets, wind from the desert streaked through the center of the settlement, whipping his scarlet cloak to and fro. Today was a day where he could've used a cowboy hat.

Ducking into a tavern on the side of the road, he could see that the place was almost filled to the brim with people. It was later in the afternoon, and everyone who didn't want to be caught outside at night was finding someplace to stay the night. Kane figured that this was as good a place as any. Strolling up to the bar, he took a seat, ordering a <>. Nursing his drink as he sat next to a rowdy group, Kane's eye was caught by a quest poster hanging on the opposite wall. Calling over the NPC bartender, Kane asked him to explain what the quest was. "Oh, there's a bounty that's been placed on the head of a Player Killer out here, been goin' round makin' trouble for people." Kane thought carefully, as this wasn't something he took lightly. Self defense was one thing, but a Player roaming the fifth floor, hunting weaker Players? That was low. The NPC continued, "It looks like the Quest giver wanted to form a posse, get the summabich.If you're up for it, be outside the tavern at 0800 tomorrow morning." Kane nodded, marking <> on the quest marker. His mini-map displayed the tavern entrance as his quest objective with a footnote: 0800. Paying for a room, he made his way up the stairs, and spent the rest of the evening arranging his gear before morning. He wondered who else would accept the quest and be part of the party in the morning...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Agh, the heat is going to kill me!" He thought to himself, it not actually being hot enough for him to lose HP or need his water, but it was a massive switch from his primary floor the 4th. There, snow was a common sight and pretty much expected! Here however, the sun held control, along with the desert sands. He held his hand over his brow to keep the sun out of his eyes and to wipe away any sweat as he finds a place to hide in the shade.

He had picked an inn, hoping to every god he knew of that their drinks were colder than the sky. He took a seat at the bar and ordered for a spiked fruit juice, gladly sipping at the chilled drink as he relaxed for the day, simply enjoying his drinks. As night neared he found himself glancing over to a conversation he overheard. The word 'PK' trapped his attention and he grinned when he heard there was a bounty. He was to receive payment to make it so nobody else needs to die; what could be better? When the armored man, unfamiliar from behind to him, left up to his room he held a similar conversation with the AI. When it was settled that he had a new quest to take part in, he swiped through his menus, placed some col on the counter for his drinks and his room, and headed up for a rest once the alarm was set.

<>

Kane's system alarm woke him up at 0600, just as he'd planned. He knew that somewhere, out in the real world, his true body slept on, hooked up to life support machines. He brushed the thought from his mind as he looked at his face in the mirror. Long, dark blonde hair that he had tied back in life was now hanging loose around his shoulders. The scar he'd received from a bully in high school still marred his face, and his forest green eyes stared back at him through the glass. Splashing water from the sink onto his face, he was grateful that he could recognize the refreshing sensation.

Equipping his armor with a touch of the screen, his familiar, Smoke, was just waking up as well. The shadow cat had curled up in the corner while he slept, still getting used to following its new partner around. Kane grinned as he saw the wispy feline figure stroll over to him, and he equipped his <>. The cat let out a languid "Mrrow", and melted into its vapor form. The intangible creature settled into his shadow, hugging the darkness like a cloak about itself. Kane suspected that the animal drew its power from his shade, and it often rested there, unseen. "Still sleepy, eh? Rest easy Smoke, I'll wake you when I need you." He felt rather than heard the affirmative -purrrr-, and as he belted on his knife belts and greatsword, he knew that today was going to get... interesting.

By the time he made his way downstairs, it was 0700. The tavern was largely empty this early, most residents having either stumbled back to their rooms, or passed out over their drinks from the previous evening. The NPC bartender had changed as well, now a buxom lass with a low cut blouse. She smiled at him as he sat and ordered what could be called "breakfast": Plain bread, and two <>, both of normal quality. Somewhere, Kane mused, there had to be a special chicken that laid delicious golden eggs... or something like that. As the clock ticked by and he finished his meal, he purchased some <> for his familiar, who deigned to purr once more as he made the transaction. Making his way to the outside of the tavern, his system alarm went off, telling him it was 0800. Time to see who else would show.

((OOC: Affirmative!))

Unfortunately for him, Trinoko was by no stretch of the word an early riser. His first instinct was to slap at the alarm menu until it went away, and return to sleep. It wasn't until his preemptive second alarm went off his eyes shot open. He was going to be late! He double checked the time, and indeed it was 8:00. He quickly shot out of the bed and switched through his menus to get all of his equipment on, making sure all the slots were filled before he ran out of his room. He still lacked anything glamorous, either waiting on crafters or saving up Col so he could get some custom made stuff himself.

Thanks to a lack of being able to get a decent breakfast, he made do with a piece of bread with honey topping that was in his inventory as he walked towards the meeting place, hoping he wasn't keeping anyone waiting. Once there he saw a somewhat familiar face, waving to the man named Kane as he approached. "Hey there! You taking this bounty as well?" He questioned as he stood there, just as noobie looking as ever, albeit at a higher level and feeling a bit more confident.

Kane heard a voice behind him, and saw Trinoko exit the tavern. The Player was still dressed in starter's clothing, though it was clear he'd made headway since the last time they'd met. Kane adjusted the strap on his harness, shifting the weight of the sword on his back as he acknowledged him. "Hey, Trinoko, right? You were hunting mobs on the first floor last time I saw you." His familiar emerged from his shadow, vapor forming itself into the shape of a rather large, midnight black cat. Its eyes gleamed gold as it looked at Trinoko inquisitively. "Oh yeah, I picked up a hitchhiker a little while ago. This is Smoke." The cat padded over to Trinoko, rubbing against his leg once before returning to Kane's shadow, melting into the darkness. Kane ran a gauntleted hand through his hair, laughing. "Smoke's an Umbra, a shadow cat. A bit on the shy side."

As he spoke, a Player approached the pair. He appeared to be a high-schooler, Asian, with glasses. It was clear that he wasn't combat-oriented, as his equipment suggested he was a tailor, or craftsman of some kind. The tag above his head read <>, and he was very apparently nervous about talking to them. "Umm, excuse me, are you two the ones who are taking the bounty?" When they nodded, the Player continued. "Oh, um, good. That's good. I'm Daisuko, thank you for taking this job." He bowed agitatedly, quite Japanese in his mannerisms. Clearing his throat, Daisuko continued, bringing up on his menu a screen to show the pair. "As you most likely know, there is a Player Killer in the area who's been hunting weaker Players, stealing their Col and gear. His name is Fukushu. He... he killed my friends..."

Daisuko's voice cracked at this, but he pushed forward. "A-anyway, he's pretty strong. He's at least level nine, maybe higher. I've linked the condition of the bounty quest to accept two conditions: First, if you kill him, the quest system will alert me, and I'll reward you both with all the Col I have. Or, you can use this:" Daisuko produced a blocky, box-like object that glowed like a sapphire. "This is a corridor crystal. It's linked to teleport whoever uses it to the Black Iron Palace on the first floor. That's where a lot of the more dangerous Players are being kept prisoner, so they can't hurt anyone any more. If he surrenders, use that to transport him directly to jail. Once he's there, come back and I'll reward you just the same."

The Player looked down, misty-eyed. "I... I don't care how you do it, I just want him to stop hurting people. Please." Sniffing and pushing up his glasses, Daisuko added a marker to each of their Maps. "I've marked his last known location. He likes to ambush people in this valley, so be ready for him."

Kane looked over at Trinoko, pulling his cloak's scarf portion up over his mouth to ward off the sand. "Hey, are those throwing knives gonna be enough for you, or do you want to up your arsenal before we head out?"

Trinoko smiled and nodded, glad his name was remembered and happily saying "That's right, been working my way up since then. Hopefully no more boars in my future!" He chuckles and glances down at the strange cat, doing his best not to suddenly start petting it but instead offering a hand for it to sniff, but it already had returned to Kane's shadow. "Ooh. So friendly monsters like that exist? Very nice. It was nice meeting you, Smoke." He chuckles a bit to himself.

He stops his smiles and chuckles though when the third player approached, explaining the situation to them. As Daisuko spoke he took each word into consideration, as was his suspicious nature. When Daisuko got to the parts about the killer himself Trinoko was typing notes into a notepad of sorts he liked to keep open when in town. "Fukushu... Level 9... Corridor crystal..." He nods and closes his menus and instead examines the map. "Okay, we will do our best to find him and put him to one form of justice or the other." He smiled, not mentioning if they did kill the PK his items would likely go to them if he was not married. Not wanting to give anyone incentive to needlessly take the man's life, despite his crimes.

He looked over at Kane and said, drawing his knife and giving it a toss in the air. "I am still waiting on some custom knives to be made, though some better gear would never be a bad thing. Problem being I dunno when they will be done, and my armor has to wait so I know I have materials for that too." He shrugs and adds "But I recently got the martial arts skill as well, so I am not exactly defenseless in a fight even if I lose these things."

Kane bowed slightly to Daisuko as the high schooler meandered into the tavern, accepting his word. The pain in his eyes was a familiar one. As for Trinoko, Kane nodded at his words. He himself had a hard time getting useable gear when he'd first begun adventuring, so he understood where Trinoko was coming from. Opening up his inventory, Kane transferred an item bubble over to the other Player:

<> x3

"Here. Those potions will restore 3 HP each, might give you an edge in the battle to come. I'm wearing heavy armor, and my Battle Healing is at a point to where I don't really need 'em." Gesturing to the edge of town, Kane started walking forward, expecting Trinoko to follow. "We've got a bit of a hike ahead of us. So, are you in the blade-for-hire business too now?"

Trinoko smiled as he looked at the bubble in surprise, graciously accepting them and double checking they were in his inventory before saying "Thank you very much! It should help, given he is a bit tougher than I am." He chuckles as he sheathes his throwing knife. As Kane expected, he did follow.

When asked about if he was a blade for hire he shrugged and said "Well, aren't we all? Aside from the pure-crafters of course!" He smiles and goes on "But taking your question seriously, I guess I am. I am not against taking requests, particularly when I get paid for it!" He grins "Bit of a greedy streak. That all to the side, I am trying to get into some crafting on the side. I got a store on the fourth floor and all that stuff." He smiles and goes ahead to add "Artisan." ahead of time. When they got near the town's border his eyes scanned the horizon. He had no spare skill points to put into sensory skills or the like, but he hoped he wouldn't need to for this fight. They at least expected the ambush.

They headed towards the edge of town, as Kane listened to Trinoko speak. "I suppose you could say that we're all sell-swords, working to get quests and contracts from the NPCs. But for me, I make my living by providing a sword for those who aren't able to fight. Taking contracts like this, where we work for another human, is much more satisfying to me. Some Players just aren't at a high enough level to defend themselves from predatory killers, or they're looking to get some kind of material or item, but don't want to risk their lives. That's where I come in."

They approached the gate to the outside. Beyond here, their weapons would do lethal damage, and they themselves weren't safe either. Checking his armor one last time, Kane stepped forward, and they started towards the canyons. It'd be a bit of a hike before they got there. "I'm thinking of starting a guild, getting a couple of fighters and crafters together. I want to make it safe for others to get the supplies and protection they need to grow stronger themselves, and survive. Being on the front-lines is all well and good, but the harsh truth of the matter is that by the end of this, most front-liners will probably die." His tone was sad, obviously having thought about this before.

"There needs to be well-equipped, living fighters to replace them, who are able to survive that long in this world. And unless those of us who are able can lend them a helping hand, they might not live that long. It's not just making a living, it's doing some good in the process."

Kane took a swig of his canteen. He didn't really need to drink here, but his mind told him that the taste of water was refreshing. "If we both survive this job, I think I'll get to forming that guild. Trouble is, I don't know many others who'd want to join." He grinned at Trinoko's comment about his store. "So you're an artificer? You make bangles, accessories and the like? That must be useful. I hear a lot of those can be made to boost the wearer's abilities. I'm sure you're an awesome craftsman." A sympathetic -Mrrow- came from within his cloak. "Apparently, so does Smoke, haha."

Trinoko listened to Kane's words intently, his arms crossing and a smile crossed his lips. His words seemed so sincere and true. "You are far more saintly than I." He sighs softly and looks up at the sky "Don't misunderstand, the pay is a very welcome bonus... But I do enjoy helping people for the sake of helping." He laughs softly "Can one truly call themselves greedy when they willingly give away what they take?" He shakes his head a bit, finding himself strange, sure others thought him far more so.

The moment they crossed the village's border he drew one of his blades and continued his routine of tossing it to ensure he knew it's weight and how it flew in the air. As Kane explained his guild he listened close and nods in consideration. "Provide protection to those who need it, and prepare the next generation of warriors..." He grinned "I like it. Surely more like myself will start to realize they can't remain locked inside an inn for the rest of their life." He chuckled softly to himself "And they will need something to strive for, true... Well, when we both make it out of here alive, consider me on board!" He smirks, certain their end was not to be today at the very least.

When asked about and complimented on his presumed skill he laughs softly and says "I wish I was as good as you say. Two failures and only one success." He brushes his hair aside, revealing the golden earrings he wore. He then brings up their description and swipes it onto Kane's 'screen' for if he cared. "But yes, accessories and I'd say just about anything the smiths and weavers cannot quite do." He shrugs "When was the last time you saw a weaver carve wood with a blade to make a mask or such, for example? Would do nothing to protect, but the stats and style are real."

Kane grinned widely and laughed heartily at Trinoko's statements on greed. "Haha, there's nothing wrong with wanting to turn a profit as well. After all, to start this guild, I'll need funding, or at least enough equipment and weapons to make sure my guildmates aren't in undue danger." He smiled a genuine smile at Trinoko's words. "Well then, welcome to the team, Trinoko! Though I haven't decided what to call it yet and I need a few more members before the system will let me establish one."

Looking at Trinoko's craftsmanship, Kane could see by the item's stats that it was made to enhance loot drops. "You're right. Most crafters I've encountered seem pretty obsessed with making just weapons and armor. Granted, we'll need those and lots of them, but enhanced accessories will give us the edge over enemies with unique defenses. I've heard stories of a ring that multiplies the speed of its user, and a mask that enhances its wearer's <> skill by tenfold. Your craft is both useful, and artistic." Kane rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment. "I know it's not in good taste to talk about the real world, but... outside, I was a film student. I'd just finished my internship abroad, filming a movie here in Japan. Not my finest work, but when I get out, I'll keep working at that craft too."

He smiled and nodded "That's true. Well, you are going to have to find someone else for the armor and weapon issue." He winks and taps his own shoddy weaponry. "Else this would not be a thing." He goes on to add "And don't worry, not as if there is any hurry. We haven't even gotten to the tenth yet... and don't ask me to name it. The name of my shop and earrings should show you my poor taste in names!"

He smiled happily at Kane's words when he called his work artistic "Aye. It may take some time, but hopefully I will start getting customers if I can showcase the use of my things." He keeps his eyes forward as the walked, wiping sweat from his brow as he begins to feel the impact of the heat once more. "Ugh.. who made a desert floor and a snow floor right next to eachother..." He hears Kane mention the real world and he nods "I see. Well, then maybe you could direct a film about... this." He opens his arms wide and does a spin, mindful the blade of his throwing knife was tucked to prevent accidents. "Because when we get out, we only have our word on what happened." He grins mischievously at Kane and decides to say "Unless of course the big GM forgot to mention that we are being broadcast live. Imagine, the Truman show Deluxe Fantasy version."

Kane grinned ruefully as they walked along. "I sure hope not, nobody wants to watch me do boring stuff all day. Although, making a movie about this experience could be a good idea. Assuming I survive, that could be something people need to see." He stretched his arm, where the phantom ache of previous injuries pestered him. "Hmm... I remember when I was a kid, reading stories about Roland, the first Paladin of Charlemagne. He was noble, virtuous, and ultimately gave his life in the name of his king. That's the sort of hero I looked up to when I was young. Granted, I didn't care too much about chivalry or anything like that, I just thought it'd be fun to swing a sword around." He rolled his shoulders as he felt the weight of his greatsword. "It is fun, but there's a responsibility that comes with it. If I'd known that before... Wait."

Kane trailed off as the duo approached the canyons. It hadn't seemed like it, but they'd been walking and talking for a good couple of miles now. Up ahead was where their quarry was supposed to make his camp. "We'd better remain cautious from here on. I've got a rank in X-Ray Vision, might help us find the guy."

Trinoko chuckled softly, sure that Kane got into lots of unboring shenanigans. He didn't interupt though and just listened, getting ready to talk about what his character was more or less based off of but then he was given the signal to be silent and nodded, saying in a low voice "Understood. I will keep an eye out." He grips his throwing knife tightly, entering a less inconspicuous stance as they moved. He was ready to throw his blade at a moment's notice, keeping his eyes out for anything that shone orange as their indicator they found their man. "Supposedly he ambushes lowbies, yeah? Want me to run ahead as bait or something? Draw him out?" He offered his nearest semblance to a strategy, hoping that he didn't get insta-killed somehow if it came to that.

<

Kane didn't like the idea of sending Trinoko in as bait, but he wasn't such a low level that even someone of his strength could take him out in a single blow. Hesitantly, he nodded. "Alright. My <> skill isn't that great, but if I follow behind you at a distance, we should be able to surprise him. He seems like the type who might want to gloat first before he attacks."

<>

Trinoko nodded and said "We'll get through this, relax. I got a little luck with me." He tilts his head so the shine of his earrings showed, even now showing some wit as he jogs ahead a bit and pretends to not be on edge, looking around as he waits for any sign of him being under attack. He held his throwing blade carefully, and clenched his fist tight. Long or short range, he was ready.

<>

Kane followed behind Trinoko at a bit of a distance as they continued into the canyon. There were plenty of places for him to hide amongst the crags and boulders, and it worried him slightly that their opponent could be doing the same. His eyes glowed vibrantly as his <> skill enhanced his perception of the world. He hadn't put very many ranks into it, so he couldn't see through incredibly thick objects yet.

Out of nowhere, an axe spun through the air, glowing crimson! It landed at Trinoko's feet, just short of him. Stepping out into the path, a man with long, scruffy looking black hair appeared. He had a sick grin on his face, and he was holding a wicked looking, crescent bladed Two-Handed battle axe. At his wait, three other, smaller hatchets were tucked into a purple sash, clearly for throwing. The man couldn't have been more than in his late twenties, and he wore Japanese style lamellar armor, probably light-class. He probably hadn't seen Kane yet. The tag above his head read: <>.

"Well well, fresh meat. Drop all your gear, weapons and Col, and I might give you a head start when you run back to town."

Trinoko gasped in genuine surprise, taking two steps back rather than stay in range of the man's axe and he said, playing the scared sheep to the slaughter. "W-what items? You can see I am in starter gear!?" He buys time, letting Kane catch up a bit before Trinoko takes a deep breath. With his target in sight and clenched the throwing knife in his hand tight and threw it! His aim was set for Fukushu's arm, wanting to put some problems into him swinging or throwing his axes.

When his throwing knife missed he hisses and instead moves to try and get so Fukushu's back was to Kane, drawing his second blade and holding it tight. It was not a good start to the fight, but at least he was getting his bad luck out of the way now!

The brigand spat to one side, Trinoko's knife having missed him. He turned his torso, following him while hefting his axe in both hands. "Yew shouldn'tve done that, newbie. Jus' gonna make me angry."

As Fukushu was speaking, Kane was approaching from behind. "Defense mode, protect Trinoko." he whispered to the Umbra. Smoke noiselessly emerged from Kane's shadow as he drew his sword, and he charged forward to engage the enemy. As Kane attacked, Smoke turned to vapor once more and settled around Trinoko, protecting him like a mantle of fog. (-1 to enemy attack rolls made against Trinoko) "Hey, tall, thin and scraggly!" As the PK'er turned Kane's sword was swinging in an emerald arc, attacking his right arm!

(+1 to Attack, -1 to Enemy's Attack, +5 Damage)

-----------------

MISS

Kane's blade almost reached his opponent, but he reacted too fast. Blocking Kane's strike with the shaft of his axe, Fukushu spun backwards, looking from him to Trinoko with contempt. "Pah, that all you got? You're not gonna live past today, boys!"

Kane: 21/21

Smoke: 17/17 (Takes damage when Trinoko does)

Trinoko: 15/15

Fukushu: 25/25

Fukushu was wielding his great-axe with reckless ferocity, swinging it back and forth as he eyed up Kane and Trinoko. He let out a savage cry as he brought the axe down on Kane, hoping to hack through his armor!

----------------------

-1 to Enemy's Attack

Fukushu

+6 to Damage

----------------------

HIT

The brigand's axe connected with Kane's breastplate, striking with a force that would have shattered his ribcage had this been real life. However, Kane had an advantage: His Heavy Armor skill was high enough that the majority of the impact was mitigated. He -ttch-'d verbally as his HP dropped a point, but the look on the killer's face was still one of surprise. He wouldn't be able to just hack away at Kane without consequence. More importantly, Kane knew he'd most likely target Trinoko next time.

Kane: 20/21

Smoke: 17/17 (Takes damage when Trinoko does)

Trinoko: 15/15

Fukushu: 25/25