[SP-F1] An introduction into... <Earning a living> [closed]

An introduction into Aincrad

<>

Still in the middle of the Starting City plaza, Lance pondered what his first move should be. Should he walk around town to explore? Should he go into the lush fields and battle some easy enemies? Or should he perhaps try to find some kind of job?

After weighing one thing against the other, he finally decided on trying...

<

If battle is highest: Lance will go to the fields to battle.

If crafting is highest: Lance will try to find a job.

If loot is highest: Lance will explore town.

End OOC>>

... to find a job. Lance had always been a craftsman in real life and wanted to make stuff as well in this game. As he fancied swords and metal armor above leather or wooden tools, he decided blacksmith would be a fine profession.

Lance started looking around Starting City to find someone looking like a blacksmith, who might be able to help Lance on his way. After all, he had next to none experience with blacksmithing and no idea where he would find materials as well. Walking through the big market places and streets with stalls he found a gruff looking man with a rather impressive beard that had weapons and armor for sale.

"Good afternoon. My name is Lance", is how Lance introduced himself, hoping this man could be of help.

"Hello there, laddy," boomed the voice of the gruff man, "they call me Brock, and I'm one of the finest smiths of the city. Would you like to buy something on display, lad?"

"No, sir, and I doubt I would have the money to do so. Instead, I have a different kind of request," Lance said, after which he hesitated for a moment. "I am trying to become a blacksmith..., but I have no idea where to start or where to get the necessary materials."

Brock's mouth tightened and he eyed Lance carefully. Then suddenly a smirk appeared on his face. "Ya think ya're of the right material te become a blacksmith? Very well. Ya can come by me shop over here if you found some low level materials to smith with. I'll help ya with the basics and ya can use my forge."

Lance smiled at the man. "Thanks a lot. that's very kind of you."

"Ya'll have to gather the materials yrself though, laddy. I'm not going to coach you on where to find it," Brock answered while stroking his beard.

"Once again, thanks a lot. I'll be here this evening!" Lance said eagerly, before he turned away from Brock and went onwards, on a quest for some basic material to work with.

Lance strolled along the market stalls, curious how he could find out about material locations. He opened the HUD to try and see if the map had any indicators, but to no avail. Lance did not feel like talking to random strangers in the city, so he tried to simply venture outside. After a long walk towards the edge of Starter City, Lance finally reached the east gate, giving him passage to the lush green fields outside. Lance looked around and saw a small rocky area to the north-east. Hoping materials would naturally occur in a mine-like area such as that, Lance proceeded north-east, over the grassy plains.

Walking over the fields, Lance spotted a small boar running around in the field. The boar seemed hostile enough to attack Lance on sight. He decided to...

<

1-6 -> Lance ignores the boar and walks around it.

7-12 -> Lance attacks the boar

end OOC>>

...sneak around the place where the boar was. There might be bigger challenges up ahead and on this level, Lance could not permit to lose health early on in this quest. As the rocky area slowly crept closer, Lance decided he should sprint a bit to cover ground quicker. He spurted away, leaving some marks in the ground where he started, and raced towards the rocks.

While Lance sprinted towards the rocky outcropping, he observed the area around him and saw the first floor mostly consisted of grassy plains and forests. In the distance, some wolves stalked around, looking for a prey. Behind him Starting City still obscured most of the land in the other directions.

Lance arrived at the rocky area, and he smiled widely as he saw some ores sticking out of random spots in the rocky area. He moved towards a light greyish ore and tried to touch it. A purple hexagon appeared, with the text:

Lance went wide-eyed and spoke softly: "Well, I am a proper fool, aren't I? Ores won't mine themselves." He sighed. Feeling beating, het set himself on a rock nearby. Now what? Lance thought. As the sun slowly reached it's peak, Lance sat around thinking what would be the best course of action,

While pondering his next move, a man approached from behind the rocky outcrops. He spotted Lance and moved towards him on a steady pace. "Hey there, you seem rather down on your luck," uttered the man.

"Yeah... well, I seem to need a tool to mine these materials, but I didn't bring one with me," was Lance's reply. The man looked in thought, squinting his eyes a bit, after which he grinned. "You know what, let's make a deal. There's a wolf over there that annoys me while I collect ore. If you can defeat it, I'll share some ore with you."

"Sounds good. Do we have a deal?" was Lance's reply as he offered his hand.

"A deal indeed," the man smiled back at him. "I'm Byron."

"Lance," was Lance's short answer. "So where is this wolf?"

"Right around the corner. Follow me," answered Byron while he strided towards a big rocky outcropping.

As they walked around the corner, Lance saw the wolf running around. "Okay," Lance said, "Let's do this. I'll keep it occupied."

"Excellent," Byron replied with a smile.

Lance ran around the corner and spotted a grey wolf stalking around. Upon seeing Lance, the wolf charged towards him. Lance took the starter sword from his hilt and slanted it in a blocking position, anticipating the wolf.

<

Lance LVL 1: 5/5 HP

Equipment:

- Straight one handed sword (100/100)

- Cloth jacket (100/100)

Lance Battle dice:

1-2: miss (0 hp)

3-8: hit (1 hp)

9-10: critical (2 hp)

Wolf LVL 1: 4/4 HP

Wolf Battle dice: (high miss chance given Lance's combat experience)

1-4: miss (0 hp)

5-9: hit (1 hp)

10: critical (2 hp)

End OOC>>

The wolf charged and jumped to Lance's face, snapping his jaws. Lance nimbly turned away from the sharp teeth, while holding his sword between the wolf and himself. As the wolf swoops by, Lance turns his body to face the creature again, this time ready to attack.

Lance LVL 1: 5/5 HP

Wolf LVL 1: 4/4 HP

As the wolf is still turning to make another charge, Lance rushes in with his sword held horizontally. He reinforces his sword-hand with his other hand and charges forward, towards the wolf. As the steel approaches, the wolf snarles and the blade cuts into the wolf's side. A loud howl rings through the air as the wolf jumps aside.

"Keep it up, you're doing fine!" Byron shouts, while swinging his pickaxe at reddish ores nearby.

Lance ignores the comment and readies his blade again for another incoming attack.

Lance LVL 1: 5/5HP

Wolf LVL 1: 3/4HP

The wolf jumped around, aggressively snarling, moving towards Lance again. Lance tried keeping up with the wolf's direction, but had trouble doing so, bringing him off-balance. Finally, the wolf charged into Lance again, this time reaching for his leg. Lance tried restoring his balance, but to no avail. The wolf bites deeply in Lance's leg and he falls over. After kicking the wolf's head a few times, it finally releases it fangs. Quickly, Lance picks up the sword he just dropped and chases the wolf.

Lance LVL1: 4/5HP

Wolf LVL1: 3/4HP

Stumbling to his feet, Lance swinged his sword at the running wolf, but missed. The wolf turned around and once again tried to charge at Lance's legs. This time, however, Lance was prepared. As soon as the wolf dashed for his leg, Lance side-stepped and raised his sword. As he lowered the sword to strike the wolf's back he moved his body down, delivering a crushing strike that nearly snapped the wolf in two. The wolf went big-eyed and squeaked faintly while it was smacked to the ground. Scurrying away the wolf looked desperate and growled loudly.

Lance LVL1: 4/5HP

Wolf LVL1: 1/4HP

Growling furiously, the wolf puts all it's strength into another charge, snapping violently on the way towards Lance. Lance readies himself, lowering his sword-blade to leg-height. Suddenly, the wolf jumps and headbutts Lance in the chest. Lance staggers, but can keep himself standing. The wolf jumps back and tries to jump towards Lance again. Lance dodges the wolf by a hair and readies his sword once more, while Byron shouts "Almost finished, keep it up a little while longer!"

Lance LVL1: 3/5HP

Wolf LVL1: 1/4HP

The wolf starts jumping around again, but Lance memorized the pattern from last time. As soon as the wolf charges towards him, he does a side-step. The wolf corrects his course and keeps running straight at Lance. Lance lowers his stance and prepares to stab the wolf in the face. As soon as the wolf is close enough, Lance lunges forward and stabs his sword into the wolf's mouth. The wolf starts glowing and shatters, leaving some experience points and col behind. Lance gives a sigh of relief as he slides his sword back into the scabbard. With a slight click the sword falls in it's place, while Lance looks in the direction of Byron.

<

Lance LVL1: 3/5HP

Lance leveled up! Now level 2. Gained 1 RP.

Lance LVL1: 5/7HP

Earned 6 * 5 = 30 col.

Durability of sword: 100 - 3 hits = 97

Durability of jacket: 100 - 2 hits = 98

end OOC>>

"Well done, rookie," Byron said from a distance, "I didn't expect you to actually beat the thing."

Lance shot a wry smile at Byron. "Yeah... you're welcome. So, shall we get to your part of the deal now?"

"Well, rookie, I think you're sort of out of luck. I don't see why I should share my valuables with you." Byron kept a big smile on his face, then suddenly went serious. "Seriously, what did you expect? It's everybody to his own out here. You're a fool for believing a random stranger."

Lance frowned and sneered "I don't feel like putting up with this, Byron. Give me the ores, like we promised."

"Or else? You're going to battle me? You're fresh from the Starting City, you don't stand a chance against me." Byron laughed at Lance. "Look at this blade, only someone of level 25 or higher can handle it. I don't mind killing you, I've done worse and the penalty faded right away."

Lance glared. "Fine, be gone then. I'll find my own way."

"Yeh. I will. See you, rookie. Or not." was Byron's last reply before he went north over the rocks.

Lance sat down again, feeling even more defeated. Sure, the wolf was some good training, but not a single bit of progress was made in getting minerals. In the not too far distance, Lance heard some rocks fall followed by a scream. It was Byron's voice. Lance softly moved from his spot and slowly moved in the direction that Byron had gone. Looking around the rocky outrcops, he saw three hooded men standing around Byron, who was laying still on the ground, his pickaxe fallen out of his hand.

"Tough luck, punk. We've been looking for someone loaded with pricy stuff and we got a golden tip. Time to die," the middle hooded man spoke with a rough voice.

"You'll pay for this," Byron screamed as an axe landed in his chest. Byron screamed and spasmed on the spot, while another hit his shoulder. After a third, Byron's eyes went wide open before he started glowing and shattered.

"Wow, this guy has a ton of ores on him. This'll make good money," the left cloaked figure uttered. "Shall we take the pickaxe?"

"Nah, it's a pretty useless pickaxe for the level of ore this guy is carrying. Leave it," was middle hood's answer.

Lance quietly kept watching the player killers and waited for them to leave, when suddenly he heard a voice behind him.

"Well, well, what do we have here," a man suddenly behind Lance almost whispered. Lance quickly unsheated his sword and rolled aside, facing another hooded man.

"Now, now, that won't be necessary," the hooded figure spoke slowly, "You don't carry enough coin for me to even waste my strength. Now you just remember, we are a pk'ing guild. If you feel that scum like Byron is better off dead with the treasure in your hands, you should join us later, when you've got the skills."

"That's a kind offer, but I don't feel like senselessly killing people just yet," was Lance's cold reply as he resheathed his sword.

"That's fine. If you ever change your mind, ask for a dead beer at the Happy Skull Inn in Nimbus, on floor 7. You can keep the pickaxe as a gift," the hooded man said, with a smile creeping up from under his hood.

"Thanks... I guess." Lance looked around to find the three hooded men had left Byron's dying place and moved on. When Lance turned back to face the sweet talking pk'er he was leaving as well.

Lance walked to the spot where Byron died and softly said to himself, "This might be immoral, but Byron is not going to need this pickaxe anymore. I might as well use it." as he picked up the pickaxe from the ground.

Lance took his newly acquired pickaxe and returned to the silverish ore he found earlier. He used the pickaxe and got 1 Tin ore. Lance strolled around looking for more of the same ore, and mined as much as he could, finding a total of 5 tin ore.

Lance stumbled upon a reddish ore as well and tried to mine it. A purple message showed up once more:

< Level too low to mine this ore >

Lance figured this would be something to come back for later. However, Lance's spirit was rejuvenated. Hope was restored. Even though he got betrayed and saw a man get killed, at the very least he finally obtained what he came for. Lance tracked back towards the city, walking slowly and enjoying the scenery this time. Everything truly was stunning. The mountains, the forests, even the architecture of Starting City in the distance. Lance almost found it bearable to be locked up in this game. Almost.

As Lance neared the gates of Starting City, he stopped for a moment and sat down on the stairs towards the entrance. The day had gone by quickly, and Lance was starting to feel hungry. He used up one Bread and one Water to take care of himself. The Bread was stale, but at least it filled him. After chomping his generous dinner and splashing it down with some plain old water, Lance stood up, just in time to see the sun disappear behind the mountains. He entered Starting City again, in search for the blacksmith. Deep down, Lance feared the blacksmith would betray him as well, as Byron did. On the other hand, he didn't feel like meeting any more people than he had to for the same reason. As such, Lance decided to simply look for Brock at the market where they first met.

As Lance walked along the marketplace, he saw Brock and approached him. "Hey," Lance began, "I somehow managed to get some 5 tin ore. Is that enough for me to get started?"

"Now lemme see... Tall guy, dark hair... aaaah yess, you were the lad I promised to help this afternoon!" Brock smiled as he continued. "Ya got some beginners ore, so it seems ya have at least some eagerness. Ya came at the right time, lad, I was just closing up. Follow me inside."

Lance followed Brock into behind his stall and into the blacksmith shop. It was much larger inside than it had looked from the street, and hotter too. A large forge stood in the back of the room, while in the front rows of armor and weapons were on display. Lance gaped a little and observed some of the fancier swords.

"'Tis not the grandest shop in the city, but it's mine," Brock smiled.

"I think it's great, Brock. I'm happy you're willing to help me," Lance replied.

As they moved towards the forge, Brock pointed. "This baby, this is where all the work is gonna be done."

Battle: 1-4: fail, 5-10: succeed

Crafting: 1-5: fail, 6-12: succeed

Loot: 1-8: fail, 9-20: succeed

End OOC>

Brock put a hammer on the side of the forge and took a chunk of blueish ore from a shelf and put it in the forge. "Pay attention now lad, I'll only do it once," Brock said before he took the hammer and hit the ore a number of times, always showing a finesse in every time the ore was struck. Afterwards, the ore glowed and transformed into a complex blue sword, weaved with fine threads of metal on the hilt and small tooth on the blade itself. Lance gaped as Brock took the blade out of the forge. "The system is rather simple, lad, but perfecting this skill is an art as much as it is power. Now you try to make some simple things. Let's see... try to make a knife first."

Lance shuffled towards the forge and took one of the Tin ores from his inventory and placed it in the forge. He took the hammer where Brock left it, right on the side of the forge again and hit the ore softly three times. The ore glowed and transformed into a small grey knife. "Well done, lad, that's the way," Brock smiled at Lance. Lance smiled and eagerly asked: "So, what's next?"

"Okay, next up is a gauntlet. Just one. Try it," was how Brock continued the lesson. Once more, Lance put the ore in the furnace and tried to hit the ore three times, now hitting it harder. After the glow faded this time, a big hunk of junk appeared. Lance's smile faded away as fast as it came with the previous attempt. "Well, that's a shame." "Dontcha worry bout it, lad. You'll learn soon enough," Brock encouraged Lance.

"Then, mmm, well... try to make a bowl," Brock said stroking his beard.

"A... a bowl?" Lance said doubtfully.

"Sure, it might not seem like a thing you'd want to make, but it'll help you develop your finesse, lad," was Brock's reply.

Nodding, Lance again put a new Tin ore in the forge and hammered it on different sides this time, hoping it would produce the shape he wanted. After the usual glowing ritual, he found that a quite round bowl had appeared in front of him. "Not bad," Brock uttered, "Could be rounder, but not bad at all."

Two Tin ore were left and Brock already produced his next idea: "Let's have you try making nails. Not just one, a bunch of nails!"

"Hmmm... that sounds rather difficult, but I'll give it a go anyway," was Lance's reply as he put the ore in the forge. After maybe ten swift hammer strikes, Lance stopped. The iron glowed and behold, a bunch of nails scattered around in the forge. Brock started picking the loose nails up and putting them in a small wooden box. "That's rather nice, lad. Some excellent quality nails on your first try!" Lance looked at the ground for a moment, before replying: "Beginner's luck, I suppose."

Brock started stroking his beard again and looked up. "Well... what shall we do with the last piece," he mumbled. After a few more seconds he smiled again and spoke: "I know. A helmet. This will be the final task for your basic training."

Finally, Lance took the last piece of Tin ore and hammered at it. After the glow subsided, a small helmet with a nose guard stood in the middle of the forge. "Well that went better than expected," Lance uttered.

"Well lad, that's not bad at all if we look at your progress. I think you'll be able to get out and start smithing on your own now. That's all I can teach you for now," Brock said as he moved away from the forge to the front of the shop.

"Well lad, I'll send you on your way with some final advise on how to make it as a blacksmith," Byron said as he went into a backroom and coughed loudly. He came back with a number of Tin ore. "Here lad, since ya worked hard ya can have some beginner ore from my own collection."

"Thanks a lot, Brock. I wouldn't know how to repay you for all of this," Lance answered, looking a bit flustered.

"Ya can repay me by becoming a fine blacksmith like me, lad. That's enough for me." Brock's laugh boomed through the room . "Now for my final advice. Go to the market street three streets south of here and find some cheap vacant shop to settle yrself in. Then start smithing and selling as much as you feel like."

"Won't I need a large forge like yours to make any good items?" Lance asked, his face a mix between uncertainty and amazement.

"Nah, lad, any sizeable anvil will do just as fine as this forge. The force is just a fancy environment, but it'll cost ya compared to a small shop. Now off with ya, laddy, show the world what yr made of!" was Brock's final remark before he slowly pushed Lance towards the door. Lance walked outside and signed a short wave towards Brock, thanking him one more time, before setting off towards a whole own blacksmith shop and feeling a little bit more hope for humanity.

Lance leveled up! LVL 3: 9/9

Lance got a total of 400 col for completing pages and 30 col for slaying monsters: 430 col!

Lance got Tin ore for completing the quest!

end OOC>