[F1-PP] Learning the Trade <<Earning a Living: Merchant>> ((COMPLETED))

Kataware was sitting outside of the Victorian-styled building that laid on top of the body of water within the Town of Beginnings, which was just south of the plaza and the Black Iron Palace. A small fountain that seemed to be more like a birdbath was running and her vision was fixated on the constant fountain of water while her mind wandered elsewhere.

Kataware was truly grateful that no one that she knew within this game was dead, at least not yet. She hasn’t yet been in any deadly situations as all of her ventures outside the safe-zone and the walls of the Town of Beginnings was filled with her minding her own business when it came to the monsters while giving them a wide berth to avoid confrontation. She noticed the yelling of a merchant selling whatever wares they might have, but paid no further attention to the voice within the building. Kataware smiled, understanding that even if the worst-case scenario was to befall her, that life would continue on and she very much doubted that the NPCs within this game would stop functioning if all 10,000 of its players died. Life moves on.

Kataware adjusted her position on the bench to the point that her elbow was resting on left armrest. Simply sitting down was a nice change of pace, she enjoyed working as it made her feel productive but eventually the little amounts of exhaustion stacked up and proved to be tiring. She put her chin on her hand and closed her eyes, thinking that a few minutes of rest wouldn’t hurt her. She was in a public enough area to prevent her being PKing, and thought that the worst thing that could happen to her whilst she was sleeping was some jerk drawing on her face.

@Ansar Hope

Edited by Kataware
Thread Completion

Ansar was walking around the house in the middle of the lake searching for a quest to do so he can start earning more col and get stronger. He notices the shiny glint of coins on a merchants pouch and is attracted to it until he starts hearing what the merchant is actually saying. The merchant was going on about appraisal and the best profession around. Seeing that gold pouch led Ansar to believe he needed that profession so he too can also make lots of col.

He gets closer to the merchant and starts to ask him what he can do to join that profession. He notices that the merchant is much shorter than he thought he was and looks a bit childish, Ansar is even more intrigued because how easy the child makes it look to earn lots of col. Ansar is now close enough to talk to the merchant and waits for him to look at him.

Edited by Ansar Hope

Billy the Merchant was a young man about the age of 13. He had unkempt blond hair that reached his shoulders and wore extravagant clothes. His green eyes had a knack of finding people willing to buy some of his stock, while also looking out for anyone who may want to start earning a living by taking the <<Earning a Living: Merchant>> quest. As he talked, he was shaking a pouch of gold coins which would be worthless save the spectacle and the mere sound attracting players. However, being the NPC he was, he occasionally interrupted some people in order to offer the questline.

It was this, that disturbed Kataware’s catnap. She woke up to find a boy’s face extremely close to hers. “What are you doing so close to my face?” Kataware rubbed the grogginess away from her eyes, trying to figure out who this person was. Looking above his head, she noticed a yellow cursor. So he’s an NPC, an important one at that. After clearing her throat, she asked the boy. “So, what do you need from me?”

“My name’s Billy, and I’m a Merchant. However, the real question is what can I do for you? I can show you and up to 3 people how to identify items and become rich beyond your wildest dreams.” Billy shook the bag and gold coins practically flowed out of the pouch but disappeared as quickly as they came into existence. “For an example, I can show you how to identify an item right in front of you. Let’s uh... See...” Billy acted as if he was checking all of his pockets and even ran back into the Victorian-styled building as if he was making sure nothing was lost. He came running back out, shouting to Kataware as if to keep her attention. “Well, it appears as if I’ve ran out of items. If you can come back with around 3 materials, then I can show you how to become a Merchant! What do you say? You can even bring along your friend that’s been looking at me for a while!”

On cue, as with every other quest that Kataware has taken up to this point, a notification popped up in front of her.

<<Enter party for the “Earning a Living: Merchant” quest? Other eligible players nearby: 1.>>

Kataware looked up to see a tall, pale man with brown hair and gray eyes. “Hey.” She accepted the quest, waiting to see whether the man would enter the quest alongside her, or simply ignore and walk away.

Edited by Kataware
Gray Eyes

Ansar suddenly gets a party join request in front of his face and sees its for a quest to become a merchant. Ansar turns and looks at the small brown hair amber eyed lady who sent the requests. "Hmm, you want to work together to do this quest young lady?" Ansar questioned her, as he was intrigued at the proposition.

"I guess it wouldn't hurt to do this quest with someone else, to make it less boring." He added.

He starts reading the quest info and the rewards included in it and the profession that he can become and start earning. He is interested that he can keep one of the items he finds for himself and decides to go along with her who also got the request, as she seemed more knowledgeable about the game. "By the way, my name is Ansar, whats yours." He said as he accepted the join request and the quest.

Edited by Ansar Hope

Kataware scrolled through her inventory to find her equipment while Ansar tried to make small talk by asking whether or not she’d like to join him for the quest. “You’re not very bright are you? I didn’t join the quest party for nothing.” Kataware equipped her breastplate and dagger and stood up from the bench. The eternally dusty breastplate just barely glinting in the sun and the dagger in a leather sheath at her right hip. I’d rather stay here and relax a bit, but this is a proposition that shouldn’t be passed that easily. She waved towards Ansar to follow her as she started walking across the wooden bridge connecting the islands in the body of water together. “Come on, Ansar. We don’t got all day.”

She intended to walk through the streets of the Town of Beginnings mostly in silence and only took the time to explain what she planned for them to do. “Let’s just get the three items for the both of us, then let’s get back inside. I know a spot up North that a friend showed me. We can look for the items there. Just don’t provoke the mobs.” Kataware already knew what boars could do to low-leveled players like them. The <<Monument of Life>> attested to people who tried to bite off more than they could chew. “Trust me, not yet.”

Ansar started to follow this rude lady who wouldn't give her name and thought to himself "I hope this ends quickly, at least she knows a spot where to find some items." As he was following her he noticed she didn't like to talk that much and just kept to herself. So Ansar was mostly bored during the trip and was just thinking about how nice it would be to find some good items during the quest. He eventually stopped and started to wonder who this lady was that was just sleeping in the game instead of searching for quests or making col.

As they were approaching the place, Ansar tried to start a conversation, so that he can understand what type of person she is and have more of a connection.

"So do you want to tell me your name now?" He asked trying to learn more about his quest partner before they started the quest.

As the treeline got closer into sight, Kataware started picking up speed. “Just a bit further now,” she said in order to deflect Ansar’s question. She moved through the forest and the brush, taking out her dagger and brandishing it in an off-handed position in case there was a monster lurking in the vegetation. Her eyes darted back and forth, actively searching in order to react in time. After ten minutes of walking through the forest, they eventually made it to the clearing and Kataware put her dagger away. “We’re here.”

Kataware immediately started looking for an item that she could find, looking everywhere she could possibly think of. She looked in some logs that were strewn about the openings, or within the trunks that had holes within them. She eventually found a half plate armor, a bit bulky for her taste, but it worked good enough for this quest. “Find anything yet?”

ID: 102399 || LD: 17 || CD: 4

<<Found one Tier 1 Unidentified Rare Heavy Armor.>>

Edited by Kataware
Words

Ansar noticed that the rude lady kept dodging the question, but he just set it aside as he felt some people are just don't have enough trust like him. He starts to also search around trying to find a suitable item he can bring back to Billy. He what his companion is doing and starts searching every nook and cranny of the foliage around him, hoping to find some rare item left behind by old adventurers or unfortunate ones.

He even starts digging random holes all around in hopes of finding anything underground and starts using his 2h sword to help him with the digging. As he is starting to lose hope he feels an object near his hands and starts to dig faster and faster until he gets a feel for what it is. He starts to pull it up and wipes away to the dirt to find out what it is.

ID: 102401 || LD: 19 || CD: 1

<<Found one Tier 1 Unidentified Perfect 2h Straight Sword.>>

Edited by Ansar Hope

Kataware turned her heard towards Ansar to find him digging into the ground with his sword. “I’m not too sure that’s going to work. I guess you really aren’t the...” Kataware shut up as he knelt down and started digging up a two-handed straight sword. Well, I guess things like that happen.

Kataware started moving about, looking for things in other areas as well. Jokingly, she talked to Ansar. “Do you think I should start digging too?” However, this time, she was looking for something that had a glint to it in hopes of spotting things as quickly as she can. As they were far out from the Town of Beginnings, if they wanted to ensure their safety, they’d have to get out of the forest as quickly as they possibly can.

Within the hole of a trunk of the tree, she saw it. A small glint that only showed up for a split second. Rushing over to it, she peered inside and took out the item. In her hands, was a helmet which seemed rusty and old and barely fit for service.

ID: 102403 || LD: 4 || CD: 5

<<Found one Tier 1 Unidentified Uncommon Heavy Armor.>>

Edited by Kataware
Post Completion: Rolled and Formatted

Ansar is excited at his new perfect 2h straight sword but keeps his old one around as it seems lucky to him. As he saw success in digging for items, he continued to use his old lucky 2h sword to dig around more and soon the area around him had tons of small holes. He then started to dig deeper in order to find anything to finish the quest, as he was already satisfied with the perfect 2h straight sword that he found. He responds to the lady "Can you even dig with that shabby dagger of yours?"

As he was digging and digging he noticed an outline in the dirt of an object and cast away his sword to his side so he can dig up the next item he found hoping it will be suitable for Billy so he can finish the quest. He pulls up the object and starts polishing it to remove all the dirt around it and reveal what it was.

ID: 102405 || LD: 11 || CD: 11

<<Found one Tier 1 Unidentified Rare Consumble.>>

Edited by Ansar Hope

“Probably well enough. Might work good for a trowel.” Kataware thought about the possibilities that went with that witty remark. Is gardening even a skill in this game?

Returning to the situation at hand, Kataware noticed that there were now holes all over the clearing as soon as she tripped and fell as her foot got stuck in one of them. “Thanks,” Kataware said in a dry tone as she picked herself up and dusted herself. “How’d a big sword like that make all of these tiny holes?” She bent down to inspect the holes a bit closer and noticed something within one of them. Only a small part of the object pointing out, making it difficult to notice if someone was just randomly putting holes all over the place.

She used her dagger to widen the area around the piece of equipment and eventually was able to get it out of the dirt with a resounding pop. She held up the bracers and noticed that it was about the same quality as the first breastplate that she found. “I’m done over here, how about you?”

ID: 102406 || LD: 14 || CD: 4

<<Found one Tier 1 Unidentified Rare Heavy Armor.>>

Edited by Kataware

Ansar picks up his old lucky 2h sword and starts going over his old small holes, when he notices that the weird lady digs up a piece of armor from one of his holes, "Hey those are my holes you are looking through." He tells her jokingly. "Also how many pieces of armor are you going to dig up, this is your third one." He adds.

"With the way you're going you can probably sell make an armor shop and start making col off that." He jokes.

He then goes back to expanding the holes and notices a bulge in one of them, he notices that its another item and can't believe his luck, he starts to pull it up with his hands and dusts it off to see what luck has brought him this time. He is already satisfied with his hull and just wants to finish up the quest and get back to town.

ID: 102407 || LD: 10 || CD: 12

<<Found one Tier 1 Unidentified uncommon Consumble.>>

Edited by Ansar Hope

“I’m not digging up anymore.” Kataware responded back while double-checking her inventory to make sure that all of the found equipment was in her inventory. “After all, no more use. Time to head back.”

The trek back to the Town of Beginnings was relatively as uneventful as the trip to the clearing where they gathered the items. The only thing to note was that there was a few players fighting a boar off in the distance, but Kataware kept her space. Nowadays, if you’d die by a boar, either you haven’t been paying attention to the past two years or you’re looking for an excuse that people will tell your loved ones.

When the pair reached the gates, Kataware was surprised to find Billy the Merchant standing right by the entrance manning a wooden stall that seems as if it was just created. “Move often?”

“You betcha. After all, a Merchant’s primary goal is to get more sales. More area covered, more people who’ll buy your products, more sales.” Billy was quickly alternating between looking underneath the stall and asking for the player’s requests. Based off of how quickly he seemed to respond to the orders, Kataware thought that either this was the benefit of being a program within Cardinal or he is magically procuring the items and never runs out. Most likely both. Kataware brought out all of her equipment that she found and almost immediately as she did, Billy pulled her off to the side and started talking in a frantic manner. “Well, well, little miss! You got the items! Now I’ll teach you how to identify them. Usually they have a certain look to them depending on their Enhancements, but in order to find a Unique, it takes a lot more skill that you currently don’t have. Go on, give it a try.”

Kataware followed Billy’s instructions while having a slightly confused look on her face. A certain look, how? They all look the same to me. However, upon closer inspection, she noticed that the breastplate did seem to have a bit more protrusions that stuck out as if it to deflect enemy attacks or even to hurt the attackers. Upon noticing them, a notification came up showing the enhancements of the breasplate. “Huh.”

<<Identified one Tier 1 Rare Heavy Armor.>>

<<

Spoiler

Name: Toge Kanwa

Profession: Merchant

Roll ID: 102408 | 102409

LD Roll: 20 | 10

Item Type: Heavy Armor

Tier: 1

Quality: Rare

Enhancements:

[x1] Mitigation

[x1] Thorns

Description: A breastplate that would be considered exactly normal if it weren't for some spiky protrusions that served to reduce the impacting force of enemy's attacks while also damaging them in return.

Post Link: http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/16670-f1-pp-learning-the-trade/?do=findComment&comment=552294

>>

Edited by Kataware
A space

Ansar follows the rude lady back and is just surprised as see is that Billy is there at the entrance hollering for sales. He listens on as Billy is talking about how to identify the objects we found and something about unique enhancements that we can't do yet. Ansar then looks at the perfect 2h straight sword he dug up and tries to figure out what type of enhancements it has on it. He finds out three different enactments on them and now has to tell what each one is and what they do.

"Wow my sword has 3 total enactments, what about your armor lady." Ansar teases the rude lady at her rare armor since she doesn't want to give her name.

He goes back to identifying the different enactments on the sword and hopes it adds more damage to the sword, so he can go out hunting and gather monster loot.

<<Identified one Tier 1 Perfect 2h Straight Sword.>>

Spoiler

Name: Lucky 

Roll ID: 102410 | 102412 | 102413

LD Roll: 3 | 9 | 14

Item Type: 2h Straight Sword

Quality: Perfect

Enhancements:

[x1] Accuracy 

[x1] Paralyze

[x1] Bleed

Description: A Perfect 2h Straight Sword that almost always hits its mark with barbed edges and sparks flying off of the tip of the sword.

Post Link: http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/16670-f1-pp-learning-the-trade/?do=findComment&amp;comment=552295

Edited by Ansar Hope

“Just two,” Kataware responded bluntly as she set the breastplate aside and making sure to make note of the item. Toge Kanwa. It certainly had more uses than her current equipment seeing as how she only had protection and had no way of dealing damage at this current point in time. Kataware picked out the helmet that she found in the tree trunk and attempted to see if there happened to be anything useful enhancements it contained.

However, as she suspected, there was nothing really special about the helmet. It seemed as if its only use was to help the user defend themselves from any blows, which it did very poorly. An identification is an identification. Kataware put the helmet aside as she prepared herself to identify the bracers and find out if they had any worthy enhancements. “Got any good items so far?” Kataware turned towards Ansar, waiting for an answer before she would turn back to the bracers in her hands.

<<Identified one Tier 1 Uncommon Heavy Armor.>>

<<

Spoiler

Name: Kanwa

Roll ID: 102421

LD Roll: 18

Quality: Uncommon

Enhancements:

[x1] Mitigation

Description: A rusty helmet which serves to just barely protect the user's head from blows.

Post Link: http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/16670-f1-pp-learning-the-trade/?do=findComment&comment=552307

>>

Edited by Kataware
Quality from Rare to Uncommon

"Just my 2h straight sword which has paralyze, accuracy and bleed, the rest are just potions that could have any effect," Ansar replied. "Maybe I could identify them if I drank a bit from them, nah ill just use Billy's methods to be safe." He thought to himself

Hmm, this first potion looks dark green and doesn't seem very thick, I hope this is a beneficial potion and not a poison someone dropped. Ansar starts to look carefully at the potion and even drips a little on a nearby table to see how it looks like and behaves in the open air. He feels he is getting close to understanding what type of liquid it is and what effect it might have when taken.

So he gives it one last shake to confirm his thoughts and finally identify one of the two potions he dug up along with his 2h sword.

<<Identified one Tier 1 Rare Consumable.>>

Spoiler

Name: Protein Shake

Roll ID: 102422 | 102423

LD Roll: 11 | 5

Item Type: consumable

Enhancements:

[x1] Mitigation

[x1] Protein

Description: A potion that might be helpful for muscle gainz.

Post Link: http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/16670-f1-pp-learning-the-trade/?do=findComment&amp;comment=552308

Edited by Ansar Hope

“Okay.” Kataware turned her back towards Ansar as she looked towards the bracers in her hand. She inspected them carefully, looking for any redeeming features, although she didn’t feel like she would personally use this type of armor. In her opinion, the breastplate would make her feel safer, but it was always nicer to have these options available to her. The more options one has, the more possibilities they can control.

Kataware noticed that they had studs on them and decided to try them on. Slipping them past her wrist and onto her forearm, she noticed that it didn’t feel restrictive yet she still felt as if it provided her about the same protection as her first identified item. Hm, this might work? After successfully identifying the item, a notification popped up and she saw that the enhancements were exactly the same as the breastplate that she found. She truly did not know which one to get as they both served the same functionally, so she decided to ask someone for a second opinion. “Hey, Ansar. Which one do you think? These bracers, or that breastplate?” Kataware held up her arms as and pointed towards the respective items as she talked.

<<Identified one Tier 1 Rare Heavy Armor.>>

<<

Spoiler

Name: Onaji sa

Roll ID: 102424 | 102425

LD Roll: 15 | 11

Enhancements:

[x1] Mitigation

[x1] Thorns

Description: Two steel bracers that have studs on them helping the user to help deal with the force of an attack when they raise their arms to defend themselves.

Post Link: http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/16670-f1-pp-learning-the-trade/?do=findComment&comment=552309

>>

Edited by Kataware

"I think you should keep the bracers so you use them as weapons, by slashing at enemies with the barbs," Ansar responded, "Now its time for me to identify this last consumable, I hope it turns out as useful as the last one did." He thought to himself

He started doing the same thing he did with the last consumable and started shaking it and dropped a few drops on the table. This time the liquid was a light blue color and wasn't as thick as the last potion. So he thought maybe it wouldn't have as many good effects as the last one since it seemed not as potent. He was hoping that it would give something like night vision or increased perception so he can go find more items later on. 

He continued experimenting with it until finally, he figured out what type of effects it was going to have.

<<Identified one Tier 1 Uncommon Consumable.>>

Spoiler

Name: Defense Potion

Roll ID: 102539

LD Roll: 10

Item Type: consumable

Quality: Uncommon

Enhancements:

[x1] Mitigation

Description: A potion that might be helpful for reducing damage taken.

Post Link: http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/16670-f1-pp-learning-the-trade/?do=findComment&amp;comment=552471

Edited by Ansar Hope

“Are you stupid? I can’t use them as weapons. They’re not gauntlets. Plus, you’d need another skill to even punch enemies.” Kataware paused as she suddenly remembered something else as well. “Wait, how am I supposed to make use of this when I get a shield?” Kataware took off the bracers and went to find the breastplate that she had identified but noticed that the table which had her helmet and breastplate on it was empty. She then heard the shrill voice of Billy the Merchant and him cackling.

“I’m really, really sorry guys.” Billy’s words obviously betrayed by his eagerness to get back to his stand as he inched away from Ansar and Kataware while wearing a smirk on his face. “Business is business. I need to have two out of three of those identified items. I couldn’t simply wait long enough for you both, so I just took whatever was available.” Kataware noticed that Billy had her breastplate and the helmet that she identified along with two of Ansar’s items as well. As soon as Kataware reached out in an attempt to grab her items, he sprinted off.

“Come back here!” Kataware ran but was unable to find any trace of Billy or his existence. In fact, the wooden stand that Billy was manning completely disappeared as well. “Great. Now I’m stuck with these bracers.” Kataware sat on the floor where Billy’s stand used to be and put the bracers back on her forearms and sighed. Today wasn’t that great. Always the realist, Kataware simply acknowledged the fact that things could have went a lot smoother, not wishing that any of today’s outcomes would have been different.

<<Removed Kanwa and Toge Kanwa from inventory.>>

"It was just a suggestion no need to take it so seriously." Ansar said, "I'm going to take the 2h straight sword so I can increase my damage output, as the two potions won't be much use for me." He added 

As soon as he picked out the sword from the other two items he saw a shadow grab the two potions that were left on the table. "Hey, I was going to sell those for some col," Ansar exclaimed. He tried to chase the shadow, but it was too fast and he saw Kataware also outside sulking at the small thief who covered all of his traces and ran away.

"Hey it could have gone worse, at least we both got some good gear out of this and it didn't cost us anything." He said, " Well this is where we part for now if in the future we meet again lets party and do another quest.