[SP-F1] The Wind in Her Wings, Reprise (Complete)

To Whomever sees this note,

Firstly, congratulations on making it this far! It hasn’t been an easy journey, and I’d put good money on it not being any easier way up there. I don’t doubt your story is complicated and intrinsic, desperate even. Everyone has their highs and their lows, their brushes with death and the untimely departure of beloved friends and family. Sword Art Online hasn’t failed, isn’t failing and never will fail to test the mettle of every poor soul trapped inside. You’re brave, you’re badass. You’re a survivor. And you’re reading the note of someone who isn’t any of those things.

I want to thank Kayaba, the game’s creator. Weird, right? You gave me the most traumatizing experience of my life – of 10,000 lives – and I’m thanking you for it. I was ripped from one pitiful existence and thrust into another. And I was happier for it, for a time. All it took was the largest death sentence in modern history to make me realise that the world is such a big place, with so many people to meet and things to experience. Friendships, relationships, breakups, the first time you see a person die… the first time you kill a person.

Derailing a little; That last point is why you’re reading this now. I’ve seen so much… suffering, you know? I’m tired of seeing old souls withering away into insanity, hearing about close friends perish at the hands of monsters, stuff like that. Hell, my first chance at love in this twisted reality disappeared like that (kindly imagine the finger clicking). Where the hell did that guy end up, is he dead or alive? Who knows! All I know is it was a real kick up the ass when he tucked tail and ran.

I’m not letting myself be hurt again, and I’m not letting myself do the hurting. I cut off all ties with people that meant anything to me a while ago to make sure of that. With any luck, they won’t see this until a few dozen floors from now, and I’m leaving any trace of my identity absent to prolong that.

You should get going. There’s a whole world to conquer out there! Give it hell.

The item in her hand, <<Note in a Bottle>>, flashed with a brilliant light. A popping sound followed as a cork fitted itself into the top of the tube, leaving a scripture within that would be read by the first soul to come across it. For the second to last time, her sapphire eyes explored the vast void of sky which surrounded the great Castle of Aincrad, before the bluebird turned to leave the ‘goodbye’ note on a nearby bench.

Dangling her legs off the edge of the world, a contented sigh escaped Birdie’s lungs. All thoughts were absent, any doubts repressed by a deafening, crippling urge to be free from the dread that followed her around every single corner. The inner demons she failed to face in the past wouldn’t best her today. By any means necessary, she would get the better of them.

Right when the clock struck 2100, she managed a crude smile. “Sorry, Beatbox. I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t find the strength you left behind. You always did the right thing, always knew what to do... you deserved to live.” Her eyes fell towards the bottomless abyss, an emotion brewing within that she hadn’t felt in such a long time; Joy. “It’s been forever, buddy. Let’s catch up.”

As the sun set eerily behind a silhouette perched on the edge of the world, two arms rose from the figure’s side. The player pushed forwards, disappearing from the face of the world forever. The wind in her hair and wings, she closed her eyes and breathed a calm breath, chirping one final time. “Sorry, Itzal. Aereth… Ar-“

As silent as a whisper in the wind, she perished.

Edited by Birdie