[SP - F1] <<Earning a Living: Blacksmith>> (Zuel)

After completing the beginning quest Zuel felt it was time to learn a profession in order to aid him as he progressed through the game. Zuel had thought about what profession he would like to learn and decided the one that suited him best would be blacksmith. This way as he progressed through the floors he could craft weapon and armor from the materials he would obtain in order not fall behind in gear. Zuel would leave his room in the in and make his way to the blacksmithing district where he was looking for a NPC called Cerdic who was the Master blacksmith that would give him the Earning a Living: Blacksmith quest. After entering the building he would be greeting by Cedric who was hammering away on an anvil. "Welcome to my blacksmithing shop. How may I help you?" Zuel would approach as he witness the ore that Cerdic had been hammering become an actual sword. "I wish to become a blacksmith." Cedric would look at him with excitement as he inspect Zuel a bit. "A blacksmith, eh? Well, you've come to the right place!" A man standing over an anvil and wielding an impressive smithing hammer greets Zuel with a hearty guffaw. "May not be the easiest or prettiest lifestyle, but the ole' anvil won't let you down when you need some sturdy weapons and armors." A few loud clangs ring out through the smithy as Cerdic drives the flat of his hammer into the red-hot metal of a straight-sword in progress, "Tell you what. Go scrounge up five pieces of ore and I'll show you how to use 'em along with a hammer of your own. There should be plenty in the caves past the southern forest--heck, you may even find some layin' around half-buried in the dirt! Just bring 'em here and we'll make you into a proper blacksmith." Cerdic nods with another boisterous laugh. Just as Cedric would finish his sentence an confirmation screen would appear in front of Zuel asking if would like to accept the quest. He would press Accept and prepared to set out.

Edited by Zuel

Zuel would bring up his map to see the best location where he can start farming for the ore. Cerdic had mentioned in the quest description that there were multiple caves passed the Southern forest. He decided this was probably the best location to venture too since this was a beginning profession quest the risk of him running into any monster was low and the probability of him finding the ore from the quest description was high. He would head to the southern gate of the town of beginnings where he would head onto the road. It was still early as the sun was still rising in the sky like dusk. After following the road for a bit he would reach the edge of the southern forest where he began to venture through it trying to reach the passed it keeping an eye out for the cave that were supposed to be around there. He would refer to his map to see how far in the forest he had traveled and only needed a bit more to go before the caves. A clearing in the forest revealed several caves around the immediate area. They were all identical so which one should he choose to go into to start looking?

Walking up to the entrances of each cave Zuel would inspect them one by one to determine his best route. It was possible one of them may be a beginners trap where non of the yielded any materials for him to gather or it was possible that every one of them was going to reward him with ore if he ventured deep enough. With the day going by Zuel decided on the cave in the middle since it opening was a bit bigger than the rest having it a higher probability that ore would be in the cave. Like before there were no enemies around to distract Zuel from his simple farming mission but he was still on his guard a bit because a previous quest he had done also didn't have enemies and ended with a boss battle so it was better to be a little cautious in this situation. He would walk into the cave where the natural cave lighting illuminated the path ahead where Zuel was please to find a bunch of ore veins, however that didn't mean that each of them would reward him with materials. He would sheath his weapon and take out the mining pic that was given to him by Cerdic and begin mining away at an ore. However it seemed the first one was in ...vain...as he was not rewarded with any ore.

Spoiler

ID: 104064

LD: 2 (fail)

Quest: 0/5 Ore found

Edited by Zuel

The cave was quiet with no other sound than running water that was peaking through a hold in the ceiling. Light would peak through to keep the are well lit which was good for Zuel as he needed it to find the ore veins. Walking up to another vein he clenched his mining pic tight as he began to mine away at the ore. He would continuously hit the vein and would break off another chunk of rock hoping to find something inside. As he continued more and more rocks would begin to crumble away until Zuel had completely exhausted the entire vein. It seems once again he didn't find anything here. It seems like this wasn't going to be that easy after all. The chances of him finding a ore from each vein seemed to be around one and four so it was going to take some time and some patience if was going to be able to complete this quest. Luckily it didn't seem like he was going to have to fight at all during this quest so it was one less thing for him to worry about.

Spoiler

ID: 104065

LD: 10 (fail)

Edited by Zuel

Not satisfied with his search so far Zuel would venture deeper into the cave to possibly find better luck with Ore that had formed there. It was still bright enough for him to see clearly so he didn't mind it. Walking up to another vein he clenched his mining pic tight as he began to mine away at the ore. Each hit would break off another chunk of rock hoping to find something inside.  Each hit would break off another chunk of rock hoping to find something inside. As he continued more and more rocks would begin to crumble away until Zuel had completely exhausted the entire vein. unfortunately once again there was nothing inside the vein. It was a bit frustrating but Zuel didn't seemed phased by it since this is the world he lived in now and needed to get used to doing things this way if he was going to survive in this world. It wasn't going to be easy to find materials later on to craft better weapons so his resolve was unwavering in this situation.

Spoiler

ID: 104066

LD: 8 (fail)

Edited by Zuel

Deciding that it wouldn't be a good idea to keep switching spots Zuel stayed in the same spot and tried to identify the differences between the ore. He was hoping that maybe if there was something that could give him some information about which vein yield the materials he needed he could speed the process up a bit. But unfortunately this was only a video game and they all looked the same no matter how hard he tried. Random chance was just random chance so he saw a few more veins in the distance. Walking up to another vein he clenched his mining pic tight as he began to mine away at the ore. Each hit would break off another chunk of rock hoping to find something inside. More and more chunks of rocks would begin to dissapear away until Zuel had completely exhausted the entire vein leaving nothing behind. Once again Zuel had failed to obtain any materials from the vein. It seems like his luck wasn't on his side at all today as he thought that maybe it was the cave he was in that could be the problem. He would venture out to search for another cave to mine in.

Spoiler

ID: 104067

LD: 3 (fail)

Edited by Zuel

After leaving the caves Zuel would once again be faced with the decision of which cave to go into next. There was only two other ones and he didn't want to leave a cave again so he decided on the one that was closest to the mountain nearby hoping that it was possibly linked somehow and would yield better results for him. The cave was a bit darker than the last one but it wasn't that much of a problem for Zuel as when he entered he saw plenty of ore veins. approaching an ore vein in the new cave he clenched his mining pic tight as he began to mine away at the vein. Each strike would break off another piece of rock hoping to find materials inside. As he continued more and more rocks would begin to crumble away until Zuel had completely exhausted the entire vein. Just as it did Zuel was able to see something shinning in the rubble as he bent down to pick it up. Finally he had managed to find one of the materials he need on the first vein of this new cave. He would add to his inventory and look around for another Vein to mine from.

Spoiler

ID: 104068

LD: 19 (Success)

Quest: 1/5 Ore found

Edited by Zuel

A bit more satisfied with his results Zuel decided it was best to stay in this cave as it had already shown him it was possible to mine ore here so it should be possible to get more again. Some bats would fly by and out of the cave but they didn't seem hostile, just probably put there by the game designers as atmosphere since it was a cave after all. Approaching an ore vein in the new cave he clenched his mining pic tight as he began to mine away at the vein. Each strike would break off another piece of rock hoping to find materials inside. As he continued more and more rocks would begin to crumble away until Zuel had completely exhausted the entire vein. Just as it did Zuel was able to see something shinning in the rubble as he bent down to pick it up. Once again Zuel had been successful in finding another material in the vein he had mined. His luck was turning around in this cave since gaining the ore was simply random chance and he knew it. He would add the ore into his inventory as he managed to obtain two so far so he was making steady progress.

Spoiler

ID: 104069

LD: 16 (Success)

Quest: 2/5 Ore found

Edited by Zuel

Wanting to continue this momentum Zuel wasted no time in finding another Ore vein. This one was a bit bigger than the last ones he had been mining wondering if there could be anything different about it or it would just take a little longer time to mine. He wasn't sure if mining a bigger vein would give him a better chance of success or it was just random chance of the same one and four chance like the rest of them. Wanting to confirm his theory that it probably wouldn't give him an increase chance he decided it would be the next one he would mine. Approaching the ore vein he clenched his mining pic tight as he began to mine away at the vein using a bit more force than he did last time. Each strike would break off huge piece of rock hoping to find ore materials inside. As he continued more and more rocks would begin to crumble away until Zuel had completely exhausted the entire bigger vein. unfortunately it was all for nothing as there was no material in the entire vein. Zuel panting lightly from his hard work and even though he was not reward he was able to confirm his theory and thought it would be best to stick with smaller veins since it took less time for him to mine but had the same chance.

Spoiler

ID: 104070

LD: 9 (fail)

Edited by Zuel

The cave began to get a bit darker since it was getting later outside but he still had time to finish the quest before his vision would be completely impaired. Deeper in the cave he found a cluster of small veins that were exactly what he was looking for to mine. They were smaller so it wouldn't take that much time to completely mine all together so he decided to get to work. Walking up to the ore cluster Zuel would clenched his mining pic tight as he began to mine away at the cluster. Each strike would break off another piece of rock hoping to find materials inside. As he continued more and more rocks would begin to crumble away until Zuel had completely exhausted the entire cluster. Even though it didn't take that much time to mine there was nothing in the cluster for him to use as materials but he wasn't to deterred since it didn't waste that much time at all. He looked around to see if he could find something similar to quickly mine so he didn't waste any time.

Spoiler

ID: 104071

LD: 12 (fail)

Edited by Zuel

Although this was a lot of work the atmosphere made it a very peaceful experience. The cave was dimly lit as the sound of the wild outside echoed lightly through the cave. There were no enemies in the cave which made it a stress free experience. Zuel didn't need to worry about being attacked and he wasn't pressured for time at all since he would keep collecting until he had the five materials needed. He would search the immediate area again and fine another clusters of ore for him to mine. Walking up to the ore cluster Zuel would clenched his mining pic tight as he began to mine away at the cluster. Each strike would break off another piece of rock hoping to find materials inside. As he continued more and more rocks would begin to crumble away until Zuel had completely exhausted the entire cluster. After it crumbled to the ground Zuel was able to see something shinning in the rubble as he bent down to pick it up. It was another one of the ore materials he needed, adding it to his inventory. He was making great progress and should be done with the quest soon if he continued like this. Hopefully he could finish before nightfall.

Spoiler

ID: 104072

LD: 15 (Success)

Quest: 3/5 Ore found

Edited by Zuel

Zuel was making great progress on the quest and just needed two more materials to finish and head back so he could learn about crafting. He was hoping he would be able to craft some great armor in the near future and even open a shop on a different floor. But Zuel was getting ahead of himself he still needed to finish the quest at hand. Looking around he found some decently small ore veins like before and decided it would be good to mine at the smaller ones first. Getting near the ore vein in the open part of the cave he clenched his mining pic tight as he began to mine away at the vein. Each strike would break off another chunck of rock hoping to find materials inside. As he continued more and more rocks would begin to crumble away until Zuel had completely exhausted the entire vein. After it crumbled to the ground Zuel was able to see something shinning in the rubble as he bent down to pick it up. It was another one of the ore materials he needed, adding it to his inventory. Zuel just needed one more ore material to complete the first part of the quest now. He was incredibly lucky to get this many materials so quickly. Hopefully the last one wouldn't give him to much trouble.

Spoiler

ID: 104073

LD: 17 (Success)

Quest: 4/5 Ore found

Edited by Zuel

The first part of the earning a living quest was almost complete. He just needed one more ore materials in order to finish the quest. It was still light enough out for him to continue searching in the darker part of the cave so he continued there seeing many ore veins around that he could mine from. Not wanting to waste any time he would decide to just mine which ever was closest to him and go from there. Getting near the closest ore vein in the darker part of the cave he grasp his mining pic as he began to mine away at the vein. Every one of Zuel's strike would break off another chunk of the vein hoping to find ore inside. As he continued more and more rocks would begin to crumble away until Zuel had completely exhausted the entire vein. After it crumbled to the ground Zuel was able to see something shinning in the rubble as he bent down to pick it up. It was the final one of the ore materials he needed, adding it to his inventory and completing that part of the quest.

Spoiler

ID: 104074

LD: 16 (Success)

Quest: 5/5 Ore found (Complete)

Edited by Zuel

Right after picking up the final ore material the quest would flash complete and inform Zuel that he should report back to Cerdic for the next part of the quest. Zuel would put his mining pic away into his inventory knowing he wasn't going to need it anymore and drew his sword as he made his way out of the cave. He would roll his shoulder as the sun began to set. "I'd better hurry back before it gets to dark." Zuel would make his way back through the forest cutting some branches down as the tried to make it to an open clearing so he could get back onto the main road. After some time passed he finally get back to the road just in time to witness the sun set over the horizon in the distance. It was quite a sight to see but Zuel had no time to waste sightseeing as he followed the main road back to the Town of Beginnings. He would enter back in through the southern gate as before and make his way to Cerdic's blacksmithing shop in the blacksmithing district of the town. 

Zuel would enter Cerdic shop as he would approach him showing him the ore he had collected. Cerdic would look at him with a very surprised face on. "What?! You are back already it hasn't even been a full day yet. Most adventures take two or three days before returning to me. You must be a natural at this!" Not sure if Cerdic was being serious or if that was what his dialog was programmed to say when someone returns he would ignore it as he would take out the hammer given to him by Cerdic when he started the quest. "I am ready to learn how to become a blacksmith." Cerdic would nod in delight taking a hammer out of his own. "Eager now are we?" He would let out a light chuckle before taking some ore he had and begin hammering away. "Basically with ore that you have you try to shape it into the desired item that you want." Cerdic would hit it once more as the ore would glow and automatically forged into a shield. "Simple right? Now it is your turn to try! Why don't you use the materials you gather to try and create something great!" Zuel would place an ore on an anvil and prepare to forge something.

The ore began to glow once Zuel had laid it on the anvil. "Thats it Zuel not begin to forge the ore by hitting it a couple times with your hammer." Zuel did as Cerdic said as he began to hit the ore with a decent amount of force over and over. Each hit would indent the ore working it down more and more. "Just a couple more hits and we will see the results of your hard work." Zuel would hit it a final time as the ore would glow brighter and begin to form. Unfortunately after hitting it the final time the material would break causing it to shatter into pieces as the light would disappear as Cerdic would let out a light hearted laugh. "Thats alright my apprentice, I didn't expect you to get it on your first try. Lets try again since we have plenty of more ore to work with." Zuel would nod getting another ore from the table next to them placing it on the anvil again to prepare himself to retry to create something.

Spoiler

ID: 104075

CD: 5 (Fail)

Results: Materials lost (-1 tier 1 materials)

Edited by Zuel

Not deterred by his first failure Zuel went right back into trying again. He would take the new ore and place it on the anvil inspecting it a bit to make sure it was set properly. Once again the ore would begin to glow to let Zuel know it was ready to be shaped as he would begin to hammer away. This time Zuel put a little bit more efforts into his hits to really try to temper the ore into an item. It began to break down to every hit before Zuel would hammer it down with the final hit as it began to shape itself. However when Zuel would come down on it with the hammer once again it would shatter disappearing before him. "Ah I think you were hitting it a bit to hard there. Don't worry your technique is quite good you just need to find the right amount of force and you should be good to go!" It seems the NPC was designed to comfort the player in multiple failures since it would going to be a bit of work in order to craft something. Once again Zuel would get another ore and prepare to place it on the anvil to try again.

Spoiler

ID: 104076

CD: 1 (Critical Fail)

Edited by Zuel

Not wanting to fail again Zuel would begin to take the challenge a bit more seriously as he placed the ore he had picked up onto the anvil. It would glow letting Zuel know that it was ready to be shaped as Zuel would take a second to clear his thoughts before hammering it again. Zuel would review what he saw Cerdic do before he began to mimic him bringing down his blacksmithing hammer onto the ore over and over to shape it down into an item. Cerdic would watch in amazement as Zuel had picked it up so quickly from only failed a few times. The ore didn't break as Zuel continued to hammer down on it and finally formed into a piece of armor. Zuel would inspect it but without the complete skill couldn't tell the quality of the armor. Cerdic would come over and look at it excitingly turning to Zuel. "It is a rare quality item! Well done Zuel well done! Not many can craft such a rare item so easily. You really are a natural!" Zuel would look at it satisfied with his work as having a stronger piece of armor would be excellent for him right now. Cerdic would hand it to Zuel. "It is yours. You have completed your basic blacksmithing training and there is one more thing I would like to give you."

Spoiler

ID: 104077

CD: 11 (Rare item)

+ Rare quality Tier 1 Armor

Edited by Zuel

Zuel would take the armor as he was now able to check its quality as it was indeed a rare quality armor item. At the bottom of the armor's stats was a little note that said "Forged by Zuel." Which was awesome that it gave recognition to the person that crafted the item. Cerdic would give him a piece of a paper. "With this you will now be able to open a basic blacksmithing shop and sell your works to everyone around you! Now you can show everyone your skill and make some col off it! Not bad right?" Once Zuel had taken the piece of paper that gave him the rights to open a shop it would enter his key items as his profession on his character page would update as now he was a blacksmith. The quest would be updated as completed and would receive all the rewards for completing the quest as well.  Zuel had now completed all the beginning quest he wanted to finish on floor one and was not ready to take on something greater and advance himself to the other floors so he could progress through the game. He would head to the center of the town of beginnings to figure out where he should head next.

Zuel would inspect the piece of armor that he had created. It was rare quality which mean it had two slots for him to put some stats making it much more powerful than the piece of armor he was wearing currently. He went into the resources list to see all the possible choices he had to put into the two slots of his rare quality armor piece. Not knowing enough about what each stats did he reviewed them one by one carefully looking at his option before deciding on the two he would like. After awhile of thinking he decided he would decide on it later when he had accepted another quest where it would be needed heading to the market to see what other blacksmithing shops were like because he though about opening one up there. Not sure if he wanted to open the shop on this floor where it would probably would get the most use but he didn't want to keep coming back down to the town of beginnings every time to manage his shop. He headed to the market to make his decision there.

Edited by Zuel