Role-Play Basics

We need some basic stuff in order to get the RP started.. RULES, Forum setup (in another topic) and basic events like an opening event and at least a few more planned events after that.

so to start off, here are some rules i think we should use.

General Roleplay Rules (goes for all RP sections)

• 1: All post in the RP area will be in character. Any Out of Character (OOC) post made in this area will be removed.
    2: No stating something your current character doesn't know. This goes for information gained from a past character/events.
    3: Clams in hacking the system is forbidden and will result in post deletion.
    4: No referencing actual characters from the Sword Art Online universe to include all side stories.

Aincrad Rules (IC RP):
    OP=Open Party; Anyone can join this RP Topic
    PP=Private Party; Pre-planned adventures, Invites only (please state in first post who is invited)
    SP=Solo Party; No one can join, post are made to develop character story
    • 1: All topics in the field will be formatted as such. [(Party type)-(Floor #)] Adventure name. So it should look something like this. [PP-F1] First adventure. F1 is floor #1.
      2:All post in character will be a minimum of 150 word and 10 complete sentences. Complete sentences refer to 3 or more words.
      3:No God-Modding, which means you can not fight a level 99 monster at level 1 and still live.
      4: No Bunnying. This means when you take control of another player's character without there permission.
      5: You may post in more then one RP topic at a time, However, we suggest no more then 3 at one time. However, if you die in one of your other topics, you may chose to finish up that thread for the sake of character story.
      6: There is no AFK/Idling in
SAO, with that being said, any member caught trying to AFK/Idle will have there post deleted.
7: Inactivity; If your RP thread remains inactive for a certain length of time
~~~2 weeks Solo Party
~~~4 weeks PP/OP
Then your character will be considered dead/PK'ed.
To prevent this, make sure you finish up your topics (or leave them by using a teleport crystal) and return to a safe zone. If you are in a Safe Zone, your character will be safe.

Will update this list as rules are clarified and added.

Also as for events. Biggest one is the opening event. Stick with the game's way of doing it? let everyone post for a week after launch then force everyone back into the main starting city for the announcement? or any new ideas

I'd actually like to avoid the "150 word and 10 complete sentences."

Since we're going by completed rps rather than individual posts, forcing post requirements is unnecessary. I really dislike limiters like this : x Quantity doesn't always mean quality, and rpers are probably aiming for a good story rather than counting out their words.

Nice start to a ruleset thar!

If anyone's posts aren't up to standard, people could advise them on how to improve in an RP critique thread or something. Or maybe- this would be nice- how about a member adopts them for training? They'd essentially function as that new member's editor, reviewing their posts in private to come up to standards before they are posted. It would be a fun and encouraging experience for everyone and may even encourage more people to join because they wouldn't have to worry about counting their words and sentences all the time. I'll admit, it does seem tedious- and sometimes people's posts are long but... uh... you ever read a badly written fanfic? Yeah. xD

2: No stating something your current character doesn't know. This goes for information gained from a past character/events.

^Meanwhile, my slice of filet is mainly with this one. It doesn't really suit everyone's narrative style. As long as a character doesn't know anything they shouldn't, isn't it fine? I know that I may sometimes end up writing things like:

"The item that guy was carrying was definitely mine!" He stated indignantly, perfectly confident that his rare Stick of Ultimate Poking had been stolen. It would be obvious to anyone having been there to witness [name another player character], however, that he'd simply picked up an average stick from the ground. Unfortunately for [same player character], everyone had only arrived in time to see Derpistopheles announce his suspicions. It was a ridiculous coincidence of sorts. It was unbeknownst to Derpisto that everyone had been secretly plotting to steal the stick for themselves."

Writing stuff your own character doesn't know in that post doesn't really do much else than give cues about the situation, perhaps point out some ironies, and show that you've read what other people have posted.

Awhile ago on DA I joined an RP group that melded all three worlds SAO, ALO, AND GGO. While the group is inactive (till April i think) they have a great system while we can't copy it directly I'm sure it's at least worth taking a look at :).

Here are some links to look at:

http://swordartonline-world.deviantart. ... -317367124

http://mmmeeeooonnnggg.deviantart.com/a ... -321705074

http://swordartonline-world.deviantart. ... -323712205

There are more but I think these three only apply to us for where we are now.

Also as for events. Biggest one is the opening event. Stick with the game's way of doing it? let everyone post for a week after launch then force everyone back into the main starting city for the announcement? or any new ideas

I was thinking, what if we made like general post about that, then the RPers first or second (for those starting it) posts has to mention them getting stuck in and correspond with the general post. then those who join later can start with tying their story in with that post, and update on us what they have been doing since... Does that make any sense? lol

Also what about going to and leaving an area in one post? double posts after x amount of time if no one else posts? (Sorry its been addressed elsewhere)

I would assume SP's could be allowed to move in and out of the area in a single post, if they some how manage to reach the one time post limit (which is a lot, but not sure) then they may double post.

As for PP/OP. a one week turn around period should work and can only be done IF they want to leave the area.. something like this.

Posting Guidelines for RP:

1: Players may double post in a Solo Party thread if only manage to breach the one time post limit for the forums (Number of characters here)

2: If a player is stuck in a Open Party(OP)/Private Party (PP), a player may post again after one week has passed. But this can only be done if your intent is to leave that RP.

@Nevina: I would like to have a minimum stander for posting so we dont have a bunch of one liners just so people can rack up post points. I prefer to have some kind of minimum stander then none at all. Maybe in the lower areas we could do smaller minimum, but at some point we need a standard. People manage to some how make a 2 sentence post that barely does anything to advance the story.

@Mythee: That makes no sense.. you can rp assuming something using deduction and reasoning. It happens all the time in other RP's and as long as you are not READING SOMEONE ELSES MIND or happen to know a boss battle is going on without being told about it in the first place. Or knowing a player location without being there friend/being told where. Things like this is what i mean.

Today I had a thought. Should there be posts from the system itself stating "(insert item name) has broken" "item enhancement failed" and such and such. Because if that's the case then it's highly probable that a character could go on and on using the same equipment till they get new ones and I'm pretty sure that's not how SAO works, the same could be true for any crafter to be to cheat like this. Also should these system pots serve in place of a mob or boss's actions?

I'd actually like to avoid the "150 word and 10 complete sentences."

Since we're going by completed rps rather than individual posts, forcing post requirements is unnecessary. I really dislike limiters like this : x Quantity doesn't always mean quality, and rpers are probably aiming for a good story rather than counting out their words.

I agree with this, I think this just keeps players focused on the word count rather than the story quality. Granted we'll have to set boundaries so we don't have something like:

Nevina: *novel sized post*

Crim: k...

But having a set limit to word/sentence count makes me feel like I'm focusing more on quantity not quality.

@Kay: I've poked around those sites before, I think the skill chart and the weapons/armor/abilities part (links 2 and 3 respectively) are indeed worth a look see. Thanks for bringing it up!

@Effie: I think some indication that players realize they can't log out would have to be left up to the players description, but I kind of agree that it'd make it more authentic if it was done that way. The way Crim states how we'll do the opening event at least is the way ideally how I'd want to do it with some variation.

@Namine, idk, i feel like the word minimum is there to help me make my posts better. I remember when i first started forum based RP's and all my posts barely met any standards. After some time and practice, i didn't have to worry about it because almost all my posts were double the minimum. However, maybe we could make it like 4 sentinces or 60 words? Something that isn't to to short but so it doesn't look like what you said XD.. Pretty much just a safty net if you would say.

Also want to point out that if you are going for a good story, most of the time you don't have to worry about said posting minimum. It is just there to help new members try to expand there thought and creativity and to help us experienced members when ever we come back from a long break ^^

@Kay, i missed your DA post for some reason, i have to agree with Namine. That does really help out :D

I'm not sure I'm keen on the two actions thing. That almost seems as bad as the word count thing. Sometimes you'll have a post that's exceptionally awesome, but they only did one character action thus gets their post deleted? Doesn't sound like my idea of a good time honestly.

On the other hand observing, talking, picking up a flower etc does seem easy to do. It is something I'm willing to try out for a bit. Rules can be changed as we see fit after all if needed.

This is true, but in order to say something like that Nevina, we need a stander or atleast some kind of heads up that says "Hey, if your post isn't to a basic standard, then we will tell you to make it better" is pretty much what you just said XD. Either way, we are going to tell them they need to fix it up, i much rather them have a minimum word post then have to go around telling people

"hey, umm, can you make this better." which leads to "why?", "well because we dont think your post is productive?", "Well what is your guideline on it?"

So how about this a compromise?

rule could be "

Your post must meet one of the following,

Have at least 4 sentences or 60 words 

OR

Make some kind of progression in your characters story line.(This option is up to the Staff Members Discression)

I was just trying to figure out a compromise, I'd prefer no restrictions at all still. If someone's posts are too unproductive we can just send them a PM or ask that they partner up with a mentor or something.

Interesting staff idea too. "Mentor" can either be a GM or someone who specifically signs up to help mentor poor RPers. It'd help regulate post quality too and I think it'd work a lot better than restrictions. That's just my opinion though. I'm not a big fan of being restricted at all in whatever I do :P.

My earlier post has a couple of ideas on how a mentor thing could be done. I don't think being GM staff should be necessary for someone to mentor someone else though. That's putting more on the shoulders of staff where the normal member could help out. Or, as you suggested, a whole member group called 'mentors'. It's a pretty good thing to have going around, people helping each other, forging bonds, making each other feel welcome... heck, I'd sign up for it, if such a post was made. OuO

Sign up thread sounds do-able. We could have regular rpers who have proven themselves skilled to volunteer as mentors, and when someone new comes in, they have to do their first rp together so ensure that they know what's going on before they can rp with anyone else. During that rp, the mentor would give a short critique on each post and how they might improve. Or if the new person is already skilled, then they have someone to rp with to start out anyways without the critiques.

Just curious, why are we so worried about the quality of a RP post? I mean, I know for most of us, back in the day when we all used to RP together on a different RP site, we had strict guidelines -- but why are we so stuck on keeping and maintaining the same guidelines, but at the same time pick it apart. I know we don't like silly posts like...

I run thru market place and make big boom dust trails. TEHE 
And also, do we care about first persion or third view? EX:
First person:

"I walked gentley through the happy crowd of newbies that we all are, wondering to myself how to level and be the strongest that I can be."
Third Person:

"She slowly turned around to feel the rush of excitement as she entered the new gaming world. It was only a matter of time before she would rush off and level her character."

And as far as spelling and grammar?

Really the only person really against everything as far as that is Crim if I'm not mistaken.

First and third person should be determined by the player. If they want to RP in third person or first person style that's their choice. Spelling and grammar should be easily checked especially if you use a word processor to write your posts. Even Firefox and Chrome have built in spell checkers. It's alright if some slip or not though, the post as a whole is what matters.

Really the only person really against everything as far as that is Crim if I'm not mistaken.

First and third person should be determined by the player. If they want to RP in third person or first person style that's their choice. Spelling and grammar should be easily checked especially if you use a word processor to write your posts. Even Firefox and Chrome have built in spell checkers. It's alright if some slip or not though, the post as a whole is what matters.

So your saying spelling doesn't matter too much then? As long as its not clear... "I can haz chezburgerz plz. k thx."