[F02-SP] <<Breaking the Unbreakable>> Fists of Iron

As I stepped foot out from Urbus, a nervous chill ran down my spine. While the second floor was still far from the front lines, it was the furthest I had dared to venture. I still was finishing up some quests on the first floor, but I had heard that if you sought out a certain NPC in the Southern Mountains of this floor you could learn the Martial Arts skill. Even though I plan to eventually fight with my axe and a shield it might be nice to have a fall back if I need to do more damage and be less of a tank. As Urbus fell away in the distance, my anxious energy turned into excitement. As the hills to the south of town began to turn into the foothills of the mountains I realized my adventure had finally begun and I didn’t have to live in fear anymore.

Quest Objectives:

Spoiler

-At least one [1] Page (21 or more posts)

-Must destroy <<The Boulder>> using only your fists. Damage bonuses such as Damage enchantments and Athletics apply, but your weapon skill rank does not, nor can you use any sword arts. Players with Martial Arts skill may apply their rank damage, but you may not use sword arts.

<<The Boulder>> is a respawning Quest object and has the following statistics:

HP: 50
EVA: -2

Combat Stats:

Spoiler

Damage: 2

This is the only relevant stat since it is just destroying the Boulder

Edited by Mortambo

As the climb began to steepen I began to wonder what exactly the test would be to learn this rare skill. Keeping an eye out for wild animals, I began to think over what the possible tests could be. In the real world there were all kinds of strange practices for different forms of martial arts. It could be meditating and clearing your mind, or it could be something more physical like balancing on a pole for a length of time. I guess it didn’t matter much until I knew what the actual test was. Eventually, checking my map now and then, I made it to a small flat area on the edge of the mountains. There was a small hut, and a large boulder and not much else. Approaching the hut, I knocked politely and a man responded immediately. “Yes, can I help you?” “Yes, sensei, I am here to learn the Martial Arts skill” I responded.

The man grinned and stepped out of the hut bowing slightly as he did so, “Many come to learn, few succeed. See that Boulder there? Simply crack it with your fists and I will consider you worthy enough to learn my Skill.” I looked at the boulder and looked back at him and saw no joking in his eyes. “Okay, just simply crack a boulder with my fists, I can do that.” I put my gear down on the ground, and took off my gauntlets as I slowly approached the boulder. How do you go about just, I mean, punching a boulder. I guess you just get to it. I leaned back and put all the power I had into this punch and just let the boulder have it. Suddenly there was a crack but it wasn’t the boulder. Pain began shooting down my knuckles. I looked back at the man who was silently watching.

Punch Results:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111067
    •  Battle: 3
    • Miss!
  • Boulder
    • 50/50 HP
    • -2 EVA

Edited by Mortambo

I took a step back and shook my fist waiting for the pain to subside. I guess if it was going to be that easy everyone would be up here cracking this rock and gaining this skill. I began to look around the rock for weakness or structural abnormalities that would let me crack it more easily. Following a vein through the rock I found a spot that looked like it would be the best to aim for. This time I pulled back and channeled my whole body’s power into my closed fist. Sharp pains shot up my wrist, to my elbow, through my shoulder and right into my brain. I stumbled back for a second unable to even see because of the pain coursing through me. But as my vision cleared I could see it! A slight crack. I looked back at my teacher and he was still watching silently. I guess I’m not done yet.

Punch Results:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111069
    •  Battle: 8
    • HIT! 2 damage
  • The Boulder
    • HP: 48/50
    • EVA: -2

Edited by Mortambo

Taking another crack at the same spot, this time I felt my knuckles crack against the rock and there was an audible snap. The pain was so overwhelming that I was becoming numb to it. My knuckles were dripping with blood where the rock had sliced open his skin. Very slowly opening and closing my fist I walked back to the Sensei. “So how big of a crack do I need to make?” I asked. “Until you have proven that you are strong enough. You may continue.” I walked slowly back over to the wall and began to look meticulously around for another point of weakness. The one spot I hit before was still the best place to strike. I just waited patiently for the pain to subside so I could strike again. Closing my eyes I concentrated to make the swelling go down. Slowly, the pain leaked away and I opened my eyes ready to hit this boulder again.

Punch Results:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111070
    •  Battle: 1
    • Critical Miss!
  • The Boulder
    • 48/50 HP

Edited by Mortambo

This time I went for a punch with my left hand, my knuckles cracking again against the rock and the shock of pain shooting up my arm into my shoulder. Immediately, I hit the same spot with my right fist as well, feeling the same shock. I had to go faster if I was going to complete this any time soon. Slamming my fists repeatedly into the boulder over and over I saw the tiny crack I had started grow just ever so slightly larger. After about ten punches I had to stop and rest though and let the pain subside at least enough to try again. As I looked back at the Sensei, he nodded slightly in encouragement. At least I seemed to be doing all right so far. It just…hurt so much. Oh well, I might as well get back to it. Stretching my arms and back to shake off the last of the pain I steeled myself for the next round.

Punch Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111120
    •  Battle: 4 + 2 EVA = 6 (HIT!)
  • The Boulder
    • HP: 46/50 (-2 HP)

Edited by Mortambo

This time I executed a rapid series of blows slamming my fists at the same spot I had already caused a small crack with my hits so far. Hit after hit, my arms had become numb to the pain, or my brain was doing better dealing with the feedback from the game. I slammed them again and again into the boulder my vision narrowing to just that tiny crack and my first slamming into the same spot over and over. I’ll make it through this boulder in no time at this rate. Suddenly I realized my fists were missing the spot. I couldn’t get them to hit it precisely any more. Stopping for the moment I flexed my fingers. Both of my arms had gone numb below the elbow but my knuckles were broken, bloody, and painful. Taking out some cloth I wrapped my hands in it to hopefully help some and continued to hit the boulder.

Punch Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111121
    •  Battle: 10 (CRITICAL HIT! +2 DMG)
  • The Boulder
    • HP: 42/48 (-4 HP)

Edited by Mortambo