[F01-SP] Bread and Butter -- <<Earning a Living: Artisan>>

In a shop lined with artifacts, mementos and small handcrafted wares, all seemed quiet and fine with the world. Sunlight drifted into the room through the large glass window at the storefront as tiny specks of dust floated by to meet the day. It was an entryway to the limited space from the bustling streets outside, and a glimpse into the magical world that Malachi Ringly, master artisan, had lived in for the past few decades.

Or at least, that's what he'd have you believe.

Ren broke the peace, stumbling into the front door, a physical bull in a china shop. Her strength easily managed to slam into the side of the wall. "Ah... shoot." Gauging her size to the space, she unequipped her greatsword at the entrance with a flurry of finger movements, giving the man behind the counter time to collect themselves from the sudden outburst -- and the new customer.

"... Yes yes, what is it you want?"

Squeezing through the door with her armor, she looked around the room, eying the display shelves. It was strange that the entryway was tighter than the main area, she thought, as she followed the individual gems and trinkets that lined the walls. So that's what trinkets are...

As Malachi cleared his throat, Ren's attention turned to him, mouth agape. "Uh..." She sauntered and leaned over the counter, attempting to get close to the NPC. "You teach your craft, right? Artisanship?"

The man blinked slow, attempting to emphasize a thought. "Figures," he commented, putting down his tools at the desk. "Yes, yes I do," he moved towards the counter, cracking his knuckles. "I'll only give you a demonstration, though, can't give away all my secrets."

"That's fair," Ren replied, eying his fingers, that were reaching out towards a box, with drawers that opened up like stairs. Malachi frowned, tracing the drawers' soft fabric, bare of contents, before opening up another container, lid up. It, too, was empty.

"Tsk," he grumbled, closing the containers. "This is not going to do." Massaging his temples, he closed his eyes and faced Ren, who was looking awkwardly dumbfounded. "Okay, you're an adventurer, right?"

"Uhuh."

"Then go fetch me some materials," Malachi heaved, turning back to his desk. "I'll teach you how to be an artisan in return.

The quest window popped up. Ren tapped on accept, almost taken aback by the next line that came rather smoothly, as though he'd already expected her to agree to begin with.

"-- And do it quickly, I've got customers coming in soon."

Yeah... I'll see myself out.

Spoiler

NIGHT 
Lv: 1 | HP: 20 | EN: 2
DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 | ACC: - | EVA: -
SP: 5 | Col: 2,500

[Skills]

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 1/5
  2. - - -

[Equipment]

• [T1E0] Standard-Issue Greatsword
  • [T1E2] Standard-Issue Heavy Armor
    -- [ Mitigation I | + 9 MIT ]
    -- [ Thorns I | Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (9 per slot * Tier) unmitigated damage to the attacking enemy. Only activates on damage dealing, melee attacks. ]

- - - - - -

• Starter Healing Potions (3) --- Heals 50 HP.

Edited by NIGHT
# thread title; i was probably too sleepy to realize my mistake...

Ren had given the idea of searching through foliage another thought, and that thought had consisted of No, do not send me back there, I will never find any flowers, No thank you, No not again, and As long as I can help it, never. So there was that.

Instead, she had decided to scout the outskirts of town for rocks. It wouldn't be like the night excursion, she concluded, just in case she felt a fear of being put in danger yet again. No, this time she would try looking for shiny rocks; gemstones, if the game would let her find some.

Her first inspection was on a large, white stone, weathered from age. A model for prospective rocks everywhere, she figured, a hand smoothing its surface over, checking for any dislodgement of ore.

Indeed there was. As her thumb graced over one, she scooped the material out, stuffing it into her inventory.

ID: 126906 | Material Search | LD: 17

1/5 Materials retrieved.

Edited by NIGHT

Ren took the time to run through the field, a proper (but fun) work out as the sun lazily shone down upon her. Darting and weaving through the creatures was an interesting challenge, as she scouted for the next location she'd scavenge through for her materials.

Dodging a stout boar's crossing, she twirled, spotting a white mark in the peripheral distance. Racing towards it in a sprint, she tapped against it with a hand, heaving. It took her a moment to recover from the run, but in broad daylight, Ren was genuinely having fun.

Maybe if she'd have known, she'd come out of town to play a lot sooner.

"Now," she started, grin plastered on her face. "Our next contender, is this other giant rock! At least, that's what one might say..."

Her hands patted the rock down, a marble-like dark grey, but found nothing. Clicking her tongue, she leaned against it, still recuperating. At least she could rest easy here for a bit.

ID: 126908 | Material Search | LD: 4

Edited by NIGHT

Another rock turning up empty. Ren had visited another rock, taking a sweet stroll on the way there rather than a run. Her hands had just met a greyer, warbly stone, with tiny holes dotted along its surfaces. It felt a little uncomfortable to touch it, but she got used to it after a while. She was just glad the game had decided to gift her gloves along with her armor.

Maybe materials were just difficult to find to begin with...

Dusting off the dirt from her palms, Ren set out to find yet another source of materials. It was entirely possible she could continue to investigate rocks, but with them being rather few and far between, she wasn't super enthusiastic about looking for them specifically. Perhaps she should give other methods a try.

Maybe investigating a tree? She pondered, looking around. While she was still adverse to flower patches, maybe they were simply more plentiful, and she'd have an easier time going from patch to tree to rock to patch, in that rotation. She could always try.

ID: 126911 | Material Search | LD: 6

Edited by NIGHT

These trees are pretty thin... Well, they look good standing here, anyway.

Ren had began to make her way towards a cluster of trees, from where a pack of boars had just begun to leave. Being careful, she stood idly by as they hoofed it a few meters away, before approaching the landmark, curious.

The trees had surrounded a small, smooth stone, almost like it was a protective shrine built from nature. That would've been a sweet sentiment. Ren thought about lifting the rock, but decided against it, worried if there were bugs. Her hands patted the thin tree bark, checking to see if there was anything out of place with them.

As she did, the tree rustled, almost out of instinct (if you could say that trees had instincts), and a large leaf with a shiny center floated down. Ren caught it in midair, dazzled by the eccentricity of it.

She bowed deeply towards the peaceful shrine. "Thank you," she declared, imagining there was a spirit that took kindly on her that occasion.

ID: 126912 | Material Search | LD: 20
2/5 Materials retrieved.

Edited by NIGHT

Okay, where to next..?

Ren decided to pause, and take a look around for any interesting gathering landmarks, but stopped when she noticed a pond. Excitedly, she rushed over, nearly tripping in the process.

Small insects and frogs were lounging by the cool water, and scurried away as they heard Ren approaching. She held her breath -- she didn't like pond-side creatures too much anyway. As they parted, she steeled herself to rummage through the dirt near the pond, trying to find a semblance of interesting materials.

Nope, she just got mud on her hands.

This would continue for a good side of the pond. By the time she'd finished, her gloves were well coated in mud. She groaned, exhausted from having gone through an irksome duty and coming up empty. She even had difficulty moving her fingers, with the soil well stuck to her gloves, so she washed them off awkwardly in the pond water.

Ren felt a little guilty for doing that.

As she cleansed them off, she kept a lookout -- not so much for landmarks or danger, but about the creepy crawlies that might be around, trying to take back their territory.

ID: 126913 | Material Search | LD: 12

Edited by NIGHT

Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. Maybe I should build a lawnmower, just mow the grass, collect any shinies I find...

... Would the system even let me do that? I mean, the grass could respawn, right..?

Ren was lost in thought, as she resumed her search for materials. This time, she had completely given up and returned to sorting through patches of flowers. Her handiwork was simply done through auto-piloting; now, she was just going to bank on luck to carry her through her flower searching process.

As she picked one, it shattered into artefacts of light. Ren could only grumble under her breath about it. At some point, she figured, she was going to go crazy with the flowers, and simply eradicate the lot of them in front of her.

She picked a few more up, only to have them crumble into dust. Sighing, she stood back up, stretching from the work. Time to look somewhere else.

ID: 126915 | Material Search | LD: 13

Edited by NIGHT

Ren solemnly stepped up to a tree, this time a little further away from the pond she examined earlier.

"Another tree. Good tree. Could I have some tree stuff," she blathered, absent-mindedly, as she put her hand on the tree, patting it gently. "Please," she closed her eyes, "please just give me your tree stuff."

The tree did not respond, not give her its tree stuff.

"You know what?" Ren replied in objection, after a dramatic pause for the tree's response. "That's fair. If I were a tree, I wouldn't give away my tree stuff either."

The tree, still, could not respond.

"Ugh," Ren mumbled, sitting on the dirt. It felt awful knowing that she wasn't very good at gathering materials. It's one of the few elements of MMOs she used to actually enjoy. All it's done so far is get her to get dirty and run up to trees and talk to them.

Pulling up the quest log (hesitantly, mind you, she was afraid of getting the UI dirty) she re-verified the methods of retrieving the materials.

... any standard means... gathering, fishing--

-- combat--

-- Combat. Combat it had to be.

ID: 126918 | Material Search | LD: 3

Edited by NIGHT

Picking a fight, picking a fight.

Ren eyed the fields around her cautiously. While she did have experience in combat, she still wasn't so sure about getting into tussles on her own. Perhaps she should start with something small first, instead. What could she try?

Two lone boars, probably a couple, going on a date? That was a strange image in her head, she thought, as she readied her greatsword and shuffled up to one of them, preparing to strike. Maybe she could surprise them with a <<Straight>> right off the bat...

It was old hat by now, or maybe it was beginner's luck? Ren took up position from an appropriate distance, readying the greatsword by her side, feet apart.

Ping!

With a bright streak, she rushed past the larger boar, which squealed with a frenzy. She'd have landed alright if it weren't for the quick headbutt of the same boar, knocking her down onto the grass. The smaller of the two strutted by to investigate, nudging the fallen Ren to get back up.

ID: 126921 | Ren | BD: 8 (Hit) 
ID: 126922 | Boar #1 | MD: 1 (Miss)
ID: 126923 | Boar #2 | MD: 6 (Hit)

Boar #1: HP: 10 | DMG: 3
Boar #2: HP: 3 (-8, -9 from Thorns) | DMG: 6

NIGHT: HP: 19 (-1) | DMG: 4 | EN: 0 (-2)

Edited by NIGHT

--- !!!

Ren shot up from the grass, coughing and spitting, trying to wipe the grime from her face. No, no no, this felt a lot worse. As she scurried to get up, the raging boar she had damaged tackled at her once again, knocking her back on her face, planting it to the ground.

Oh god this is definitively the worst.

The frenzied boar paced and jumped around, growing ferocious, before shattering into crystal ash -- a likely result of Ren's armor. Struggling to rise, Ren felt relief from that, still trying to wipe away the grass bits sticking to her cheeks. Meanwhile, seeing its partner disappear only made the smaller boar panic, pacing around the ashes sadly and anxiously.

Ren peered over her hands, smeared with dirt, squinting her eyes curiously at their predicament. The boar was whining sadly at the fading lights, giving her a glance every so often. Is this an intentional outcome of the game's systems?

ID: 126924 | NIGHT | BD: 5 (Miss)
ID: 126925 | Boar #1 | MD: 2 (Miss)
ID: 126926 | Boar #2 | MD: 8 (Hit)
ID: 126950 | Loot from Boar #2 | LD: 19 | CD: 1

Boar #1: HP: 10 | DMG: 3
Boar #2: HP: -6 (-9 from Thorns) | DMG: 6

NIGHT: HP: 18 (-1) | DMG: 4 | EN: 0 (+1, -1)

Loot: 30col, Tier 1 Materials (4), Perfect Consumable (1), Rare Trinket (1)

6/5 Materials retrieved!

Edited by NIGHT

Well, best to put that boar out of its misery, right?

That was what Ren had thought, bringing herself to another charging stance.

Ren was fast, but the boar was faster. It jumped away from her strike, seemingly knowingly, but she'd guessed it was out of the original panic. Skidding to a halt, she whirled her blade around, attempting to stop her momentum, but fell on the grass instead, letting go of her blade.

"Shoot," she mumbled, looking around for its handle, before hearing an angry whine from the lone swine, charging at her vigorously. With wide eyes, she waved to it, completely off guard. "W-wait!"

Ren scrambled to her feet, only to be met with sharp tusks that carried her and swung her across the field. She fell to the dirt, bouncing off of it at least once. Afterwards, she pleaded to herself, she would get a nice warm bath and a day off from the numbness.

ID: 126961 | BD: 3 (Miss) | MD: 10 (Crit)

NIGHT: HP: 17 (-1) | DMG: 4 | EN: 0 (+1, -1)

Edited by NIGHT
# u_u)9 i forgot misses will -2 energy, so im going to have to rewrite history here

Take two.

Ren was sure she was going to end the fight here and now. Life had other plans, however.

Picking herself up from the earth, she tried to find her sword. If it was big and shiny, it shouldn't be that hard to spot, right?

On the other hand, that boar--oh no it was coming this way--!

Ren picked up the slack and started running with a loud, "Gah!" to celebrate the occasion. As the boar snorted and snarled in anger, her eyes travelled to the dirt in search of her sword.

Ah, there it was. As she was passing it, she reached out a hand to grab a hold of its handle, exerting additional force to keep up the pace. Taking time to firmly grip it in her hands, she stopped, turning around and striking a stance.

The boar furiously charged at her, slamming its tusks against her sword that Ren was using to block the attack. The two heaved and shoved, as Ren tried to maintain an equilibrium, if she couldn't bring herself to overpower it.

ID: 126971 | BD: 4 (Miss) | MD: 1 (Miss)

NIGHTHP: 17 | DMG: 4 | EN: 0 (+1, -1)

Edited by NIGHT

Ren was tilting the blade with all her might, attempting to figure out how to put the boar off its guard. If she wiggled it just right, she could probably scare it enough to move...

Pushing against its tusks from the underside, before forcing all her weight from the top, she shoved the boar's tusks downwards, causing her opponent to thrash about even more, bothered to the point of retreating. There's her chance.

She adjusted the greatsword in her hands, holding her breath in anticipation.

As the swine charged at her once more, she raised up her sword, bringing it down onto the creature. It squealed, struggling to move backwards as Ren lifted her sword back up, marking the boar with a large red gash on its head. Its health trickled downwards, leaving Ren to guess that the fight would soon be over. With a quick backstep, she repositioned herself with her greatsword in front of her, ready for her next move.

ID: 126974 | BD: 7 (Hit) | MD: 3 (Miss)

Boar #1: HP: 6 (-4) | DMG: 3

NIGHTHP: 17 | DMG: 4 | EN: 0 (+1, -1)

Edited by NIGHT

Did she think she was ready? Yes. Was she? One could argue very strongly otherwise.

Ren darted towards the boar, dropping her sword to her waist and running with it. Just as she reached it, she swung - hard - and stopped just shy of the swine's snout, that wiggled in anticipation of the blow.

"Eh?" With her eyes closed, having braced for the impact, she opened one and noticed her error. "Ah, shoot..."

The boar reared back, snorting and scratching its hoof at the ground as Ren panicked, rooted on the spot. At last, she resigned herself to her fate, and when she opened her eyes again, she saw--

-- the sky. It's a lovely day outside.

Ren's feet couldn't feel the dirt anymore, as the boar chuffed and shoved Ren, from her unsteady stance on the earth to no stances at all in the air.

... This has got to be way too much trouble for a boar--!!

She felt herself toppling to the ground, losing her grip on her sword once more. As she rubbed her back, she reached out to grab its handle, slowly getting up while the boar continued to glare at her, wrath in its eyes.

ID: 126982 | BD: 3(Miss) | MD: 9 (Crit)

Boar #1: HP: 6  | DMG: 3

NIGHTHP: 16 (-1) | DMG: 4 | EN: 0 (+1, -2)

Edited by NIGHT
# u_u)9 i also forgot basic attacks will -1 energy, so im going to have to rewrite history again, i'm so sorry for the inconvenience...

This had to be karma. It had to be. Who was she to ruin a boar couple's perfectly good day outside? For.. boar activities? She brandished her sword, wiping away the dirt from her mouth, weary and exhausted from the trouble. Her opponent grunted, hoofing the dirt themselves.

It was almost an agreement between two worthy foes -- one duel to settle it all.

The boar was the first to make a move. Dashing towards Ren, she readied her sword, slowly raising it up in the air, counting the seconds...

As the boar dropped to the ground, what was left of it started to dissipate, and Ren staggered, putting a hand over the gash by her side. It only tingled, sure, but the events of today had left her without energy. She could only watch her enemy, her friend, her rival, now split in two, start to vanish from this plane of existence, moving onto to the next one.

Code.

"You did well," she uttered, gritting her teeth in pain. Waving her sword to stash it at her back, she added, with finality, "I'll see you in the next one."

Ren left the fields with the wind howling, the birds cawing, and the sun setting a bright, crimson red.

ID: 126990 | BD: 7 (Hit) | MD: 7 (Hit)
ID: 126991 | LD: 4 | CD: 1

Boar #1: HP: -7 (-4, -9 from Thorns)  | DMG: 3

NIGHTHP: 15 (-1) | DMG: 4 | EN: 0 (+1, -1)

Loot: 50col, Tier 1 Materials (2)

8/5 Materials Retrieved!

Edited by NIGHT

The tinkling of the bell came in at night.

It had been a long and stressful day for Malachi. While his clients had been satisfied with his work, his idle hands were not. And so it was duly justified when his head snapped towards the door, a ledger open on his table, where his materials and instruments used to be.

That being said, it had also been a long and stressful day for Ren. While her client had been busy, cozily working indoors, she hadn't. To her, it was fully justifiable when she came in clean, with washed clothes, well rested, carrying a bag full of materials.

"I got them," she announced, setting the small sack on the table. "Sorry it took so long." Malachi shuffled over, blinking slowly once again, but keeping his words to himself. Pulling the bag open, he set down the handful of materials, arranging them in an order. The man was quiet, for a while, before starting, "So, what are these?"

"What?" Ren looked rather shocked, and a hint mortified. "They're materials -- L-Look," she picked up a rock, examining it together with the man, "This one's shiny."

"Well, shiny doesn't mean much if you can't use it properly," he said, clicking his tongue. Ren simmered in her own anger for a bit, causing the artisan to roll his eyes. "Look," he continued, adjusting his glasses, "If you want to convince me that they're materials, try making something out of them." He leered from across the counter. "It's not as easy as it seems, I assure you."

Ren looked downright vile at the suggestion -- no, insult. She swept the materials into their bag, frustrated. "Fine," she spat, stashing the materials on her, before leaving the store entirely. In the corner of her eye, the quest had updated itself.

Malachi watched the girl leave his quarters, and shook his head, amused. If she came back with anything at all...

Well. No one could say he didn't do his job, could they?

The bell, unexpectedly, tinkled.

"No."

"What?"

"No," Ren stated, having barged in yet again. "I've thought it through, I have to do it here."

Malachi blinked, lost, before reiterating, "You've thought it through."

"Yeah," she confirmed, pulling out her materials. "You were challenging me, weren't you? I thought you were trying to scare me off."

The man paused, thinking. "So you walked away, because of that?"

"Uh," Ren looked rather sheepish about it, crossing behind the counter. "Yeah, actually. Also, I wasn't exactly sure where else to go, so..."

"Ah," Malachi shook his head. What do the kids have running through their minds these days? Looking back up, he watched Ren stride towards his desk full of equipment, and went to pull away the ledger he was analyzing earlier. "So you're ready? To give it a shot?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."

"Okay, then," he sighed, watching Ren naively pour out the materials onto the desk. "Why don't we start small?"

Ren examined the materials on the desk. None of them seemed to fit the bill of 'small'. Thinking hard, she retrieved the rock and looked over it curiously. "A gem stone out of this?"

"That's not... exactly... right..." Malachi felt a headache coming on.

ID: 127102 | Crafting | CD: 4 | -1 T1 Material 

Edited by NIGHT

Well, that didn't go as planned.

Ren sighed, dissatisfied. Malachi could only watch compliantly as the adventurer slunk back onto his seat. With a hint of kindness in his eyes, he quipped, "I hope you're not thinking about giving up just yet."

"What?" Ren turned to face him, annoyed, before realizing and adjusting her tone and posture. "No, no," she sighed, wryly. "I'm fine."

"If it helps, Jewelry is an advanced topic," he paused for effect. "You'll get there soon enough, I'm sure."

"Given that I make something out of these, I suppose." Ren surveyed her remaining materials. Aside from the rock, she knew she'd picked up a large leaf and some boar materials. If she could, she didn't want to waste the former. Picking up a boar tusk, she focused on what she wanted to make with it, grabbing one of Malachi's tools and etching marks onto the object.

With a masterful eye, the artisan advised, peeking over her shoulder. "I... wouldn't do that, if I were you."

"No.. no, I think I've got it..."

The object burst into light fragments moments after.

ID: 127103 | CD: 9 (Salvage) | LD: (Fail)

Edited by NIGHT

In the past, Ren had been able to enjoy gathering materials in games. As for crafting, given the open opportunity, she loved it.

But here? She was beginning to revise her opinions on both fronts.

It was the third craft, using boar leather this time around. Given, Ren wasn't exactly certain what to craft out of them. Was the lack of inspiration really that cutting? She held the piece of fabric, cut open at the center, and sighed as she clenched a fist around it, shattering the already fragile item into pieces.

"So you remember what I said --"

"-- I do." Ren tiredly turned back over to Malachi, who was beginning to look worse by the hour. She bit her lip. "Maybe you should turn yourself in."

"And leave you alone in my shop?"

"Don't you have one of those... uh... apprentices?"

Malachi shook his head. "If you aren't promoting yourself right now -- granted, I wouldn't even take you in right now, no offense..."

She eyed the fading particles gingerly. "None taken."

"... But if you aren't volunteering, I suppose there wouldn't be anyone else to watch over the shop right now," Malachi folded his arms. "It's just the two of us here right now. Regrettable."

Regrettable indeed.

ID: 127114 | CD: 8 (Salvage) | LD: 7 (Fail)

Edited by NIGHT

"Oh," Malachi exclaimed, strained from watching Ren do her best. "You got that one that time."

Ren held up the boar tooth, now shaven down slightly to accommodate one of its missing sides. So this is what salvaging felt like...

"It's not exactly a big step, though. Could just be a fluke," she commented, holding the tooth in between her fingers. Malachi could only gesture away her words, seemingly losing his composure so late at night.

Ren eyed him carefully. "Are you sure you're alright staying up so late at night?" It was an odd sensation to feel, talking to a computer pretend to be a living being, but she can't help feel a sense of kinship with these fragments. It wouldn't need to sleep or eat; not unless its directive told it so, and even then it wouldn't functionally cripple them to an extent.

But Malachi sighed and waved it off. "I'll be alright. I'll just make myself a cup of coffee." He rose from his seat, heading into the backroom. "Would you like some of it?"

Ren hadn't taken freshly-brewn coffee before. She hesitated, but ultimately she settled. "Yes please," she hollered back. "I'd like that very much."

ID: 127124 | CD: 7 (Salvage) | LD: 18 (Success)

Edited by NIGHT