[F01-OP] <<The First Few Lessons are Free>>

ID# 130453

LD: 5

Despite the sudden questioning, Skeleton didn't feel much disappointment. It had grown towards pity a long time ago. Pity that they couldn't function as they wanted to, somehow progressing through each day without realising what allowed it, or who.

"Alright, enough dwelling on idiots who don't hold any interest in my health." Skeleton reasoned to himself.

He began once again crawling along the field of grass. Skeleton was close to completing his search of the area and had his sights set on one final patch in the corner before moving on. Having picked apart the grass around him during his renewed search, he brought himself to his feet, shaking and wiping off any dirt clinging to his clothes. He began moving towards the patch, breaking into a light jog as he did.

"Let's hope this next portion has more to offer than this." he hoped.

He wasn't feeling too lucky today.

ID# 130454

LD: 10

It was the correct assumption so far. It had not been a lucky day. This patch of grass resulted in having a single herb, and a loss of a few hours, and possibly a few sanity points from the careful searching he performed. The search had run down Skeleton's motivation, giving him the excuse to take a break outside of the patch of grass.

He took a short stroll, finding a nearby group of rocks and boulders overlooking the grass, and almost looking over the walls of the town. Skeleton sat down on the rock, pulling the dagger out of it's sheathe from his belt.

"Maybe after we complete the quest I'll finally learn how to use you." Skeleton reasoned to the dagger.

The dagger, in dagger like fashion, made no response. It was a simple metal dagger with a hilt and handle as plain as the blade to match. Iron and grey. It was still clean and shiny however, as it had not yet seen use.

ID# 130961

LD: 8

Skeleton sat upon the rock, letting the sunlight wash over him and the field before him, along with the wind, he felt somewhat relaxed. He passed the dagger from one hand to the other repeatedly, as if he would grow more accustomed to using the weapon, or holding it. The weight the weapon held was rather light in comparison to what he had expected, but the blade looked much sharper. Looking at the blade, Skeleton began to look at the grass, narrowing his eyes.

"Maybe I should cut the grass. Is that possible...?" he mused.

Letting out a sigh, he began to once again moving the blade in his hand. Rotating it, flipping it, passing it to the other hand and back as he slowly lost focus on the movement and stared across the field. He had hoped to find these herbs and complete this quest soon, as it was taking him quite a few days to complete the task.

ID# 130962

LD: 17

Skeleton clambered off the rock, dagger in hand. Making his way towards the grass, he approached a portion that dictated the edge of the field. Kneeling down, he grasped the clump and pulled the dagger cleanly through the base of the grass, near the roots, removing the clump in a neat slice. They vanished as quickly as he yanked them away.

"This may work, at least I'll have a clearer vision of my work space. I just hope this doesn't give me anything unexpected..." Skeleton said to no one in particular.

After a few more cuts and a little unofficial experience gained in becoming a lawnmower for the wilds, Skeleton had happened upon a herb that he accidentally gathered. It was between the blades of grass in his hand and he hadn't noticed that it was there until the quest updated in his HUD along with being added to his inventory.

4/5 Herbs Collected.

This indication was a welcome breath of air. He was nearing the end of this damned expansive gardening quest.

ID# 130963

LD: 18

Skeleton was stunned. He was in a kneeling posture and he had been moving slowly to gather the herbs by continuing to cut the grass portion by portion but he had been brought to a complete halt.

5/5 Herbs Collected.

He blinked. Expecting the number to revert, he maintained his motionless stance. The number stayed as is, bringing a smile to his face as he gripped the handle of his dagger harder, pumping his fist. Thankfully the blade was facing outwards, or he would have stabbed himself then and there.

"Yes!"

Leaping to his feet, Skeleton began a full sprint back to Zackariah's workshop to deliver the materials. The fields he'd spent the last few full days, dawn to dusk in, passed as he moved. He dodged the people in the street, almost knocking them over once or twice as he came to a halt at the workshop door. He took a moment to catch his breath outside.

After regaining his composure, Skeleton raised his hand against the door, making his way inside. Zachariah was still pulling books to his desk and skimming through them when he noticed Skeleton return with the materials in his inventory.

"Excellent! You managed to collect the required materials! Come! Come!" Zachariah motioned wildly with his hands to wave Skeleton to his desk.

"I was beginning to worry as it's been a few days. Must have been difficult collecting them but worry not, I have more than enough materials to prevent you from needing to brave the wilds once more for materials. We shall move to crafting the potion, if that's all right with you?"

Hearing that he would not have to return for more material gathering was a weight off of Skeleton's shoulders. He would be tearing his hair out spending another half week getting herbs again.

"That's reassuring, it was a lot more difficult than I expected to be honest. I'd be glad to move on the next task." Skeleton replied.

Skeleton had moved behind the counter to stand beside Zachariah, who had prepared materials, equipment, and a book with the instructions. He had two sets of apparatus prepared, likely to be a "Teach By Doing" method.

ID# 130964

CD: 1

Zachariah's hands were faster than Skeleton had expected. He had completely missed the first step, heat adjustment. The herbs were ruined as the temperature control was important. Too high a temperature can denature the herb.

ID# 130965

CD: 1

While setting the heat temperature too low will prevent the herb from mixing correctly with the solution in the water, allowing it to instead mix too much with the air.

Zachariah's patience knew no bounds. Despite the wasted herbs, he calmly dissected the apparatus, replaced the contents and materials, and set it back to square one.

"Excellent, you're learning. Failure is not failure, it is simply a step in the wrong direction. All it takes is a step back, and a new step forward to proceed!" Zachariah said as he replaced the beaker.

ID# 130966 

CD: 8 (Rare Quality Success)

Zachariah's relentless and dauntless support was overwhelmingly reassuring. It brought Skeleton's nerves back to base after he had failed the first step twice in a row. Taking a deep breath for composure, he began to watch Zachariah's process. Overlapping the technique he used with the instructions on the book, Skeleton had begun piecing the concoction together.

Skeleton poured the resultant formula into a cone shaped flask, the green mixture turning red as it cooled from being taken off the bunsen burner. The flask was then appropriately placed into a bucket with ice.

"You've done a marvelous job my friend. You've taken multiple steps in the correct direction, never mind just one. This is an excellent brew that even I would be proud of." Zachariah raved.

The praise was more than Skeleton had experienced before. He was all too unsure at how to react and if this was worth as much.

"Thank you for the evaluation, and for the instruction." Skeleton said with a bow.

Zachariah nodded with a smile and reached beneath the counter, pulling out a parcel.

"Despite my wish to keep you here and have you learn my craft inside and out, I'm afraid my role requires to ask you to progress. This parcel contains a few concoctions that a local blacksmith, Lyle Tealeaf, orders regularly. I would need you to deliver these to him for me." proposed Zachariah.

"I understand. Thanks again for the help, if I need any potions I know who to contact at least." Skeleton said with amusement.

Skeleton stepped forward to take the parcel from Zachariah. The parcel vanished to his inventory as Zachariah released his grip, saying his goodbyes.

"Take care my boy."

"I will."

Skeleton pushed the door open, stepping outside. A billow of smoke the next street over gave him an idea of where the blacksmith was situated. A few moments later confirmed Skeleton's suspicions as he made his way through the street towards a man wearing what seemed to be protective gear, hammering away at a red hot slab of metal on an anvil.

"Excuse me, would you be Lyle Tealeaf? Zachariah sent me with a delivery." Skeleton asked.

The man continued to strike the metal with what looked like brute force.

"That'd be me, aye. Thanks for the delivery, you can leave it on the bench behind me, I'm in the middle of this blade and can't afford the time to rework." he ordered.

As Skeleton approached the bench, the parcel generated in to his hands, so he could place it on the bench.

"Actually, as you're here, you wouldn't happen to mind helping an old man out, would you?"

Summary:

Skeleton met an old man named Zachariah who had Skeleton gather materials to create a potion. He was then tasked with delivering a parcel to a blacksmith, Lyle Tealeaf. Upon delivery, Lyle seems to have another task in mind for Skeleton.

Rewards:

- 5 Tier One Health Potions of Uncommon Quality (+40HP)
- 1 Tier One Damage Potion. (+1 Damage)
- 1 Tier One Over-Health Potion (+50 Temp. HP)

4 Total additional Skill Points:

- 2 Additional Skill Points From Quest Completion

- 1 Additional Skill Point From Page

-1 Additional Skill Point from December Bonus.

Edited by Skeleton