F01/SP<<Earning a Living>> - Alchemist

This was certainly the oddity. Warren had a pretty set routine he liked to follow. First, he would wake up and wander around the Town of Beginnings. Then he would stop by the same inn for lunch. Wander around some more. Then dinner at the same inn. Then bed. But now, he found himself wandering to the gates of the town, on a quest for a lady called Evangeline. He was on a quest to become an alchemist. The boredom and monotony was too much, even for a creature of habit like Warren. He needed something to occupy his time lest he go insane. The Frontlines were an absolute no-go. He was quite attached to his life and didn't feel like risking it. But Alchemy? That was just close enough to Pharmacology that he could perhaps delude himself into thinking he was back home for a spell. At the very least, it would give him something to do. A sense of purpose. A direction that he had, until this point, been lacking.

Spoiler

STATS

Level: 1
HP: 20
EN: 2
DMG: 6
ACC: 2
MIT: 18

Edited by Warren

So the first part of the quest apparently had him gathering materials outside of town. According to the quest text, he could find materials by gathering, fishing (which required a special skill), or by slaying enemies. He was a little leery about combat. But this weird dude gave him some pretty cool equipment recently. He felt like he could handle the boars around here pretty easily. So he went and sought them out. Well, more like one of the boars sought him out. Confident though he was about the thought of fighting, when he found himself engaged with the boar, it was a whole different story. It might as well have been a dragon by the way Warren's hands were shaking. But even then, it was clear to him that the most efficient way to be done with the creature was to go through it. So he activated one of his only two Sword Arts - Blast. To his surprise, he was able to one-shot the creature. He collected his loot and was pleased to find that he had managed to get his hands on some materials.

Huh. That wasn't so bad.

Spoiler

Warren 20/20 HP | 0/2 EN | 6 DMG | 2 ACC | 0 EVA | 18 MIT | 1 KEEN

Straight[x2] vs Boar ID: 130967 BD9 Deal 14 DMG

Boar 0/10 HP | 3 DMG ID: 130968 LD3, CD12 50 Col, 2 T1 Materials

Edited by Warren

Warren's teeth had been cut on his first bit of combat in years. He hadn't fought anything at all since his first day in Aincrad. The fear of death kept him firmly within the safezone. But out here, the enemies posed very little threat to him. He could one-shot them with a Sword Art and if memory served him, they lacked the damage to get past the heavy armor he'd chosen as his Starting Equipment. But he would much rather have full energy to one-shot the enemies. So, until such time as his energy recovered, Warren would be picking flowers and herbs and junk. It wasn't the most efficient way to go about it, but it was definitely the one that made him feel just a bit safer. A part of him didn't like being stuck in the town all the time, but another, larger part didn't want to die. He would do everything in his power to mitigate that risk.

Spoiler

Warren 20/20 HP | 1/2 EN | 6 DMG | 2 ACC | 0 EVA | 18 MIT | 1 KEEN

ID: 130969 LD8 Nothing found

Edited by Warren

One shortcoming that he noticed he possessed was that even the most basic enemies were enough to make his hands begin to tremble. He would need to alleviate this issue if he wanted to get anywhere in the future. It was quite fortuitous, then, that Warren was able to ingratiate himself in the rigors of combat in relative safety. His energy had just ticked back up to full. At the same moment, the boar he had slain earlier had just respawned. Swallowing his discomfort, Warren took a steadying breath and locked onto the Boar. One his hands stopped trembling enough for him to be able to strike, he let fly his first and only Sword Art: Straight. Blast was an option, but he lacked the energy to see it through. The boar died and Warren collected his loot.

Spoiler

Warren 20/20 HP | 0/2 EN | 6 DMG | 2 ACC | 0 EVA | 18 MIT | 1 KEEN

Straight[x2] vs Boar ID: 130970 BD9 Deal 14 DMG

Boar 0/10 HP | 3 DMG ID: 130971 LD9, CD4 50 Col, 2 T1 Materials

Edited by Warren
Spoiler

Warren 20/20 HP | 1/2 EN | 6 DMG | 2 ACC | 0 EVA | 18 MIT | 1 KEEN

ID: 130972 LD9 Nothing found

It seemed that the most efficient way to gather materials was via combat. This was an issue unto itself. It would take far more than two boars for Warren to become comfortable with risking his neck. But, the more he searched for materials and came up with nothing, the more he felt a pang of anger in the back of his mind. Perhaps he could use this. Cognizant of his own emotions as he was, perhaps he could use the anger to blunt some of the anxiety. A "fake it till you make it" situation. He let out an exasperated sigh and shook his head. It was worth considering at least. Failing an anonymous benefactor, Warren would likely need to find his materials on his own. Therefore, he needed to become used to fighting creatures. At least, for now, they weren't dealing so much damage that they were actually a threat.

Edited by Warren
Spoiler

Warren 20/20 HP | 0/2 EN | 6 DMG | 2 ACC | 0 EVA | 18 MIT | 1 KEEN

Straight[x2] vs Boar ID: 130973 BD8 Deal 12 DMG

Boar 0/10 HP | 3 DMG ID: 130974 80 Col, 2 T1 Materials, 1 T1 Perfect Weapon

Another boar and therein another chance at getting this quest finished. Freshly frustrated at his failure of finding anything of use, Warren found combating this enemy to be much easier than the first two. He barely even hesitated before throwing out a Straight and collecting his loot. With a swipe of his hand, Warren brought up his menus to check his progress on the quest. "Six out of five materials, eh? Guess I should be heading back." The sound of his own voice surprised him. When had been the last time he had spoken - to himself or anyone? The thought was uncomfortable. Had it really been two years since he'd last used his own voice? Is this really what I want for myself? Warren shook his head vigorously in a vain attempt to force that intrusive thought out.

Edited by Warren

Introspection and Warren mixed about as well as oil and water. Most people are able to ask the deep questions and not find themselves bogged down in a mire of weaknesses and shortcomings. At least, Warren always assumed that was the case. Most people he saw milling about were so bright and confident. They couldn't possibly deal with the same struggles he did, could they? A dark cloud seemed to be cast over Warren's head as he walked back into town. As he crossed the threshold, he heard a vaguely familiar voice calling out to him. Warren looked up towards the origin of the sound and found his vision obfuscated by a large chest. He had to tilt his head upwards to meet the man's gaze.

"Oh, you're that guy who gave me this stuff. I never thanked you for that did I?"

Or caught your name.

Edited by Warren
Spoiler

ID: 130975 CD9, LD3 Fail
ID: 130976 CD7, LD10 Fail
ID: 130977 CD6, LD12 Fail
ID: 130978 CD10, LD18 Craft Successful!

Spoiler

Name: Antidote
Your Profession: Alchemist
Your Rank: 1
ID: 130978
Roll: CD10, LD18
Item Type: Salve
Tier: 1
Quality: Uncommon
Enhancements: Antidote
Description: Smells like not being poisoned.
Post Link: http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/18552-f01sp-alchemist/?do=findComment&amp;comment=589391

"An Alchemist, huh? Not a bad choice. We got a ton around, but not a lot of them stick with it."

The man, who he now learned was named Oscar, had been accompanying Warren around town. His presence wasn't entirely unwelcome, but being forced into a social situation so suddenly had put him on edge. Nevertheless, it felt good to talk to someone once he got past the inherent discomfort. "Yeah. I just got tired of being cooped up I guess..."

Oscar cracked gave him a knowing smile and nodded in agreement. "Honestly, that's what got me out doing stuff too. At a certain point, you get tired of being stuck inside a safe zone and decide to try your luck."

They quickly arrived at the Alchemy Lab. Warren excused himself for a moment and stepped inside. After receiving the crafting tutorial, Warren started mixing things together. His initial concoctions were abject failures, but eventually, he managed to get it done. After having successfully crafted something for the first time, a small grin stretched over his features. Maybe this wasn't so bad after all.

Edited by Warren

When Warren exited the shop, Oscar was waiting for him. He didn't know whether to be happy or irritated that the man was inserting himself into his already-disrupted routine. Regardless, Oscar clapped him on the back and gave him a wide grin.

"Nice job in there, kid! The first craft is always the best. You wanna go grab a bite to eat? I know a place."

Honestly, Warren had planned on grabbing a bite at the tavern and then heading to bed early. But he'd already completely destroyed his normal routine so it wasn't like it could be 200 percent wrecked. Warren nodded and Oscar began to lead the way. Warren honestly could only wonder to himself what exactly it was that he had gotten himself in to.

Edited by Warren
  • 3 months later...

"You didn't mention this place was on the complete other side of town," Warren said flatly.

Oscar merely shrugged his shoulders and kept walking, much to Warren's chagrin. Eventually, they entered the dilapidated part of town. Warren usually made a point to stick as close to the plaza as possible. That way, he wouldn't find himself lost. He especially avoided this side of town due to the rumors of shady individuals lurking about. But instead of suspicious people sticking to the shadows, all he saw were smiling faces. The brilliant peal of children laughing could be heard in the distance. Had those rumors been false? There was more life here than there was on his side of town. How could there be somewhere like this in the city and he didn't know about it after so long? Just who had been spreading those rumors?

Edited by Warren

"Alright, we're here," Oscar announced.

Oscar had led him to a dilapidated shop next to another equally-dilapidated shop. The sign on the entrance of the other shop read: The Crusty Bahrnacle. Was that a typo or a pun. Atrocious either way. Oscar stepped inside the shop in front of him and beckoned for Warren to follow. The young man, despite his better judgement, did as he was told. The interior of the shop was in stark contrast with the exterior. Black-and-white checkerprint floors, chrome and cream-colored leather seating all cleaned within an inch of their life. There was even a bar at the front lined with stools for people to sit and eat with strangers. The shop was surprisingly empty for the amount of care that went into the interior. Was this another hidden gem that just escaped Warren's notice for so long? This whole experience was making him start to seriously consider his choices up til now.

Much to his surprise, Oscar himself stepped behind the counter. Was this Oscar's shop? The man waited patiently as Warren finished taking in the sights and finally sat down at the bar. He was almost afraid to touch anything for fear he might disturb the meticulously-clean surfaces. He sat up stiff as a board, nervously scanning around for anywhere he might place his hands. Oscar chuckled and shook his head.

"Relax dude. You're not going to mess it up. Make yourself at home. I'll go make you a bite to eat," Oscar said.

It had been a mercy that Oscar spoke when he did. Warren was becoming so paranoid about ruining the man's restaurant that he was about to bolt. He took a steadying breath as Oscar excused himself to the kitchen and rested his elbow on the counter, propping his head up with his hand.

Warren closed his eyes. Every synapse in his brain was firing off all at once. This had been far too much to undertake in a single day. But, as much as he wanted to get back on track, he also couldn't help but feel good. He had accomplished more today than he had for his entire stay in Aincrad. He'd killed his first mob, crafted his first item, and now he was way out of his comfort zone in an odd part of town trying something he'd never eaten before. As much as his mind craved routine, Warren also craved something else. Something equally therapeutic. A sense of accomplishment? No, this wasn't that. This was something simpler, yet more primal. He mulled it over in his mind, surprised that for the first time in his life his introspection hadn't taken him to the darkest recesses of his mind. Then, finally, it hit him. What he was craving more than his sacred routine was growth. He'd stagnated for a long time and now he'd finally made some forward progress.

That, in and of itself, was enough to make him beam with pride. Even though the routine was necessary for his mental health, it wasn't so necessary that he needed to forego all else just to have some small semblance of comfort. He needed a new routine. Perhaps his newfound skills and experiences would help him with that. He knew that it would be quite an uncomfortable experience, but it was time to face his fears. He could not be so terrified that he stopped trying to better himself. Why was he afraid if he wasn't even using the life he was trying to keep? Warren blinked when that thought crossed his mind. Well that was a surprising turn. But not altogether incorrect. He shifted in his seat and began to twiddle his thumbs together as he waited for Oscar to finish in the back room. He knew he wasn't "hungry" in the traditional sense, but he normally ate something around this time and he was starting to get a weird taste in his mouth.

As if on cue, Oscar came out from the back with a plate in his hands. He placed it down in front of Warren with a smile. The scent of seared beef and fried potatoes filled his nostrils. Warren looked down at the dish and a slight smile appeared on his face. A hamburger with all the trimmings and a heaping portion of fries. The most American meal he had ever seen in this game and one that he missed dearly. He hadn't had to good burger since well before he'd been trapped in the game. Oscar waited patiently for Warren to take in the sight of it. "I've been eating mostly rice balls for so long, I forgot what a hamburger smelled like."

Oscar nodded slowly. "Yeah, when I heard your voice, I figured you might have a special appreciation for one of these."

Edited by Warren

Warren lifted the burger, taking a moment to really feel its weight. He held it to his face for a moment, taking in the smell of it one more time. He hadn't had a burger in so long - especially one that smelled this good - and he'd be damned if he didn't milk this moment for every ounce it was worth. Then, finally, he took a large bite. Rivulets of fat flowed down the corners of his mouth as he slowly chewed the sandwich. It was the absolute best thing he had ever tasted. He set the burger down and leaned back in his chair. "Oh my God. Did you cook this thing in crack?"

Oscar belted out a loud peal of laughter and slapped the table. "Something like that. I'm Aincrad's only Grandmaster Cook. I'm pretty sure I could make a leather shoe taste like the best thing you've ever eaten."

On that note, Warren really started to tuck in. Honestly, he didn't remember food tasting this good even in the real world. While he ate, he noticed Oscar fiddling with some machine behind him on the counter. It made a loud whirring sound and then suddenly manifested a cup filled to the brim with a dark brown liquid. He placed the beverage down in front of Warren who had just finished stuffing a couple of the fries in his face. "Wa's dis?"

Oscar just grinned and gestured to the cup as if to say 'try it.' Warren swallowed his food and took a tentative sip of the drink. It was ice-cold - despite not having a single ice cube in it - and was very familiar to him. After the first sip, Warren took a large gulp and set the cup down on the bar, giving Oscar a look of complete incredulity. "Is that Coke?"

Oscar chuckled and crossed his arms over his chest before leaning back against the counter. "Indeed it is. At least, my closest approximation of it. What did you think?"

Warren wasn't sure how to answer. It tasted exactly like Coke. No subtle changes, no strange aftertaste like what you experience with other generic colas. But, then again, he wasn't exactly a Grandmaster Cook either. So what reason would Oscar have to use his palette? He thought for a moment and finally decided to answer truthfully. "If you put a real Coke in front of me right now, I don't think I could tell the difference." Oscar looked pleased and retreated back to the kitchen. In his absence, Warren enjoyed the remainder of his dinner in solitude. Finally, when the last drop of soda was drained from the cup, Oscar reappeared. He had some sort of package in his hands.

"Alright, boss. I'm gonna send you home with some breakfast," Oscar said.

Warren looked a bit puzzled. He hadn't even paid for his dinner yet and here Oscar was making him more food. "A-alright? What do I owe you?"

A hearty laugh escaped Oscar's lips as he placed the package down on the counter in front of Warren and began to clear his plate. "Son, I operate my shop at a loss. When I'm not at home or out grinding, I'm here. I don't charge for a meal. If these meals had stats, that might be a different story."

What kind of crappy business model is that? Warren thought. But who was he to argue? At least if the food here was free, then he would have a new place to frequent from now on. He began to gather his things and started off.

Before he could leave, Oscar called out to him. "Hey so, I'm adding a new room onto my house on Floor Seven. Should be the perfect place for you to get some Alchemy practice in."

Warren stopped in his tracks and turned around to face Oscar. Now this was getting irritating. "Why," he demanded.

"I need a reason to help a newbie out? I got the space, I've got dick all to spend my money on, and I'm out of available housing options. What's the point of having a massive house if I don't do anything with it?"

Warren couldn't fault that logic, but it still didn't answer his question. He planted his feet and placed the package down on a nearby table. He tried his best to look intimidating. A mean feat considering the disparity between their heights.

"Look kid. Just take the help, alright? I'm doing you a solid here with no strings attached. Well, maybe a few if you can hook me up with some damage potions on the regular."

That was an odd trade. But who was Warren to say no? After all, Oscar clearly enjoyed helping people out. Warren picked up the package and nodded before heading for the door.