[PP-F1] Earning a Living

The way his smile faded did not go unnoticed by Ceres. The question must have struck a nerve. The woman had to remind herself not to be so...calavier with her questions, but it was a habit that was hard to break. His broad shoulders sagged and his blue eyes became downcast as the tall man became lost in his own thoughts. Ceres reached out and clasped his lower arm, giving him a reassuring squeeze.  "That's...good to hear..." She began, "But - don't loose sight of who you are, both in here and out there." Ceres gave his arm one final squeeze before letting go.

"I won't lie... I had a similar mindset - I don't want to go to the frontlines - not when others are already there, risking their lives. Especially all the horrible things I hear...but - after meeting people like NIGHT, and like you - I think it gives me purpose. I may not wish to fight on those lines - but I want to support them to the best of my ability."

Ceres turned her attention forward as they entered the town. "I'm going to be an information broker - find the information others hoard and share it freely." She gave a small snort. "Well...almost freely. I do need to be able to afford to buy your meals, right?" Ceres added with a light jab in Oscars direction. "I want to be able to heal, and support others - and I don't want to be called useless for it ah-" She stopped.

"Hang on..." She pointed to a small hole-in-the-wall shop. "This is Billy's Store. Do you mind waiting?"

@Oscar

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Not at all. You do your thing," Oscar responded.

Oscar was happy that he had found a kindred spirit in Ceres. Someone who wanted nothing more than to help those around them. It was always enjoyable to be in the presence of a like-minded individual. It lent validation to your thoughts. Uplifted your spirit. Truly, he couldn't think of a better what to have spent his day than helping her out on her quest. Becoming an Information Broker with the goal of providing affordable intel to people was a noble goal. Not only would she grace the first floor with the presence of a Merchant, but she would also fill a niche that they didn't even know they needed filling. Ambitious, yet respectable. The whole paradigm of the Town of Beginnings was slowly shifting towards a more newbie-friendly environment. Exactly as it was meant to be. It just needed a push in the right direction.

@Ceres

"Eh?"

Ceres stared down at the child, then looked around. "Uhm..."

"Lookin' for Ben?" Came the sharp reply from the tiny kid.

"Y...Yes?" Ceres said, blinking as she looked back down

If you really want to learn how to be a Merchant, you have to be crafty and smart for this. You best know what you are doing. I'll show you how to identify an item. It looks like you've already gotten soe for me." The kid grins. "Come closer and I'll show you how to do this." He went behind the counter and climbed up the stepping stool. "C'mon old lady, I don't have all day."

Ceres shook her head, ignoring the comment about how he called her an old lady. "Right. Show me then Billy." She stepped closer and pulled out the three items she managed to find, the perfect sword, uncommon shield, and the uncommon brace. "Here these are the items I found."

Billy's eyes lit up. "Oh wow yes. This is perfect. Here..." He showed her how to inspect and craft the items then gestured for her to do it.

"Oh.. uhm Ok - so I guess I'll craft a one handed sword...."  Ceres did just as Billy had shown her, and once she had finished crafting it - a simple  On Handed Sword had been created.

"I....made this?" She asked as she lifted it up.

"Yer sure did. Congratulations Old lady, You're now officially a merchant." Ceres Grinned and ran out the store, still holding the blade.

"Hey, Oscar! Look at this!" She held the sword out for him to inspect. It's hilt was long, and wrapped with black cloth - the blade new, and shimmering with a light metal. "I managed to make this, it only has +1 damage - but...I actually made it."

T1 One Handed Sword | +1 Damage
A simple sword crafted by Ceres so she could become a merchant.
#ID:132214  LD:16 = Damage

Edited by Ceres

"Nice!" Oscar beamed down at Ceres as she brandished her newly-identified weapon in his general direction. It wasn't anything special, granted, but it was what it meant, Oscar surmised. It meant that she had her Profession now and thus could really make her mark on Aincrad. Oscar shoved his hands deep into his pockets, watching her gleeful display. It was moments like this that made it all worth it. After a beat, Oscar cleared his throat and gestured in the general direction of the main plaza. "How about that lunch I owe you now?"

Oscar beckoned for her to follow him. She likely hadn't been to the higher floors yet. Even the lower leveled enemies would deal significant damage to someone without adequate equipment. But with Oscar guiding her, the brief jaunt to his home would be completely safe. A little steep, but safe nonetheless. The rocky terrain wasn't exactly welcoming to newcomers.

@Ceres

Ceres put the sword away in her inventory. "Mmm...." She grinned up at him. "That sounds good."

Something about Oscar made her feel at ease, Ceres was genuinely happy to be around the man. It was like his presence managed to light up those around him. She wondered how someone could do that. Was it just some sort of natural charisma? Did he actively put so much of himself out there? Was it tiring? Her smile fell slightly as she thought about the other man. She'd be exhausted...if she had to be that exuberant all the time, yet here he was - always smiling, always supporting others. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing though. Really... she couldn't see anything wrong with it.

Ceres bit her lower lip as she followed him, watching his gait. Hell, he even walked enthusiastically. It was so casual, yet so natural. Oh...She had been silent for quite a while now, hadn't she?

"Where is your shop? What are you going to make me?"

Ceres quickened her pace to match with his. "Oscar is an interesting name for a online player - is it your actual name or something else?"

From no questions to too many, Ceres didn't have a middle ground.

@Oscar

Edited by Ceres

"Well you see Ceres. I am not what you would refer to as an intelligent man. Oscar is my real name. I thought I'd put in my real name and then be prompted to make a different character name. Clearly that was not a thing."

He chuckled to himself. Thank goodness he didn't add his last name to that text box. She mentioned his shop and what he was going to make. His shop only offered greasy, unhealthy diner food. Not something he'd want to serve someone as their first meal by his hands. Furthermore, he figured they were going to his house where he had a more expansive kitchen and thus could make more intricate meals.

"I thought we were going up to my house on Floor Seven. I could certainly make you something here if you want, but I'm afraid you'll need to make do with hot dogs, burgers, and fries if we do. My shop's kitchen doesn't really support me really pushing the boundaries of my Profession." 

"Floor Seven?" Ceres shifted uncomfortably... it would have been her first time above the 4th Floor. But she really, really wanted to see his house - and whilst she did sorely miss the junk food he listed off - Ceres was also incredibly curious as to what exactly he could whip up in the kitchen of his own virtual home. "Only if you stay real close to me...." Ceres began her eyes furrowed and her lips pursed in a pout. It was her best attempt at a 'serious and threatening' look she could muster up, Ceres was the kind of person who often spoke her emotions, so trying to force one she did not feel on her face.... just wasn't a thing she could do. "I'm being serious. I'm trusting you with this Oscar."

It was then that he revealed that his name was indeed Oscar. That he had made a mistake - one she didn't quite get. But hey, everyone makes mistakes.

"Mmmm, Oscar..." Ceres said the name as though it held a greater weight. Right. Ceres took two big steps and stood in front of him - pressing a hand to his chest to stop him walking. "Well, Oscar, I think it's only fair I reintroduce myself." Ceres removed her hand and held it out again for him to shake. "It's nice to meet you, my name is Candice."  There was a pause. "I promise I won't pull too hard on your hand this time. I do want to make it to the 7th floor alive..."

@Oscar

"Very well then, Candice." Oscar took her hand and gave it a firm shake. It wasn't often that he exchanged real names with someone. Hell, he didn't even know Bahr's real name. And he was like his best friend. "And don't worry. There won't be any enemies to give us any trouble on the way." He gave her a reassuring nod. He'd taken this route many times and every time he did, his path allowed him to give a wide berth to the endemic monsters of the floor. It was more likely to encounter a random mob right outside of the gates of Deepedge than it was to find one on his route home.

Together the two of them walked towards the plaza. Once there, they stepped onto the Teleportation Platform. He cleared his throat and said loudly, "Teleport: Deepedge!"

They were immediately engulfed in a bright light. Moments later they had manifested in a different city altogether. The familiar sights and sounds of Deepedge greeted the two of them as they stepped off the platform. He turned and put on his best fake-serious face. "So what do you think of Deepedge?"

Ceres took a single step away from Oscar, although her hand held fast to the warmth of his - not quite willing to let go of her support. "Whoa...." the sky was so clear here - and the clouds...it was almost like she could reach out and touch them. Ceres almost did, with her spare hand she reached out to the sky before quickly withdrawing it realizing how silly it must have seen. Still..Lilac eyes watched the wisps of white, as she imagined shaping them with her fingertips.

The smell of wattle and pine was strong and without realizing it Ceres had taken several long and deep breaths. "It's..." 

image.png.21819deb055b765abd5926e6004650db.pngShe could hear the babbling of water, like a river from somewhere in the distance. There was also the slight scent of water hanging in the air.  "It's...a mountain Village..." Ceres finally breathed. Tiny houses of wood lined rocky pavement, and many of the streets looked uneven - some sloping up, others down - rarely- did they even out.

"Oscar!" Ceres said as she turned back to him with wide Lilac eyes. "What if I built my shop here? Or next to your house or - or -" She realized she was getting too ahead of herself. "No." She replied. "A promise, is a promise." She gave him an earnest grin, illuminated by the shifting lights of the sun as clouds rolled over it. "This is...really beautiful. I didn't know places like this existed in Aincrad. Thank you for showing me."  Ceres said as she squeezed his hand tighter.

"I can't wait to see what your house is like - is it as quaint and peaceful as this?"

@Oscar

Edited by Ceres

"Next to my house would be a problem. It's really out of the way," Oscar mused. Personally, he wouldn't have minded if she set up her shop here. He was in Deepedge more frequently than he was on Floor One, after all. But this wasn't about him, it was about revitalizing Floor One. He was happy that he could bear witness to her first time setting foot here, though. However, when she squeezed his hand, he became keenly aware of what was currently happening. Here he was holding hands with a woman in the middle of town. He slowly removed his hand from hers and beckoned for her to follow. Not so fast to cause offense, of course. He tried to play it off as he was just using that hand to call her over. Together, the two of them roamed the sloped streets of Deepedge, the crisp mountain air filling their lungs. He was careful to keep his hands buried deep in his pockets, lest they find themselves entwined with Ceres' again. The last thing he needed was for some looky-loo to see what was going on and it get back to Cordelia. He still wasn't sure where he stood with her. He did know, however, that it probably would further muddle things if it were to happen.

"So Ceres. You like the mountains?" He tried to set his mind back on conversation as opposed to... whatever the hell he was previously thinking about.

Oscar drew his hand away, and it was only then that Ceres realized how tightly she had been holding it, out of sheer adrenaline and fear. "Oh..." She glanced at her own hand, face red from embarrassment. I really got to stop making others feel uncomfortable  By the time she had looked back up Oscar was already walking ahead. Ceres felt her heart skip a beat. She couldn't loose him here - if she did she'd be completely lost, and helpless.

Once Ceres caught up to him, they began to traverse the sloped streets - Every so often Oscar would point out a tavern, or a house - or a store that was of interest. With a nod of his chin 'Don't go there' he'd say 'they make horrible food' another place 'that's good for weapons, but can be a bit pricey.'  She appreciated this. But was very aware of the fact that he kept his hands deep in his pockets. Did she make him that uncomfortable?

Ceres was visibly concerned about this. She wasn't sure if she should him about it or not. "Yeh..." She said quietly. The mountains are really lovely...it makes me want to see more back in the real world - when we all get out of here." Ceres said with a faint smile as she looked up at him. "Is there a reason you built your home here?" Keep the conversation going, that's what people did, right? He had helped her so much today - and she didn't want to seem ungrateful.

@Oscar

"You can say that again. I never really traveled too much but the first thing I'm gonna do when I get outta here is go exploring." One thing about being stuck in a Death Game was that it gave you plenty of time to think about your regrets. Not seeing the world was chief on Oscar's list. Right behind getting his buddy killed and not getting that bartender's phone number that one time. He still thought they could've had something special. Not that it would have mattered much because he would have gotten himself stuck in the game shortly after this hypothetical romance. Point being, he'd wasted too much of his life by not just going for things. That was something he'd changed in himself immediately. Lost opportunities are a zero sum game. You lose an opportunity and you don't get it back.

Together the two of them struck out into the wilds. The slopes only got steeper. The terrain more treacherous. But Oscar navigated it like a pro. No missed steps, not the slightest stumble. After all, he'd taken this route every day for the past few months. It was only natural that he knew it like the back of his hand. Ceres, on the other hand, didn't seem to be faring so well. She didn't know all the dips, divots, and solid footholds like Oscar did. He stopped more than a few times to give her time to catch up. Finally, they reached the top of one hill and Oscar decided that she could do with a break. It was during that break that he answered her question.

"I like solitude. No one's gonna bother with all these hills unless I invite them."

Ceres collasped onto her knees to catch her breath, she was covered in a myriad of bumps, cuts, and bruises. "How....do you...make this....look so easy?" Ceres asked between gulps of air. She lowered her head and her hands clenched into fists, grabbing the grass between her fingers. Ceres gave herself a few moments waiting for her breathing to return to some semblance of normalcy. Once it ha she pushed herself back up to one foot, then the other.

"That's... a little sad." Ceres said when he said he liked his solitude. "ALthough I'm not one to talk...I've been alone virtually my entire time here. I guess...that's why I can say I think it's a little sad. I enjoy my solitude- but too much of it and you end up like...well..." Ceres gestured to herself. "Like me. I talk to myself far too much, and I find I either commit social faux paux or overstep my boundaries." She pointed to his hands which were still firmly planted in his pockets. "LIke the hand thing - I'm sorry, by the by - I didn't mean to."

She dusted her own hands off, "So -I'm ready to continue...is your house much further?"

@Oscar

"Long legs, for starters," Oscar said, giving Ceres a playful smirk. He kinda felt bad for making a joke at a time like this. Ceres wasn't even able to remain standing when she reached the top of the hill. It was a good thing that the path leveled out a bit, creating only the slightest incline from this point until they reached his estate. Oscar was all set to go, but the Ceres mentioned the hand thing.

Oh please no.

Oscar sighed and shook his head. As much as he didn't want to create an awkward situation, Oscar didn't want her thinking that she was at fault here. Especially given that it was Oscar's baggage at fault here. "Don't worry about it Ceres. It wasn't anything you did. I got some stuff I'm dealing with." He really didn't want to go into too much detail, especially not with someone he just met. This was more a getting-drunk-and-whining to your bros situation. Without lingering too much on the subject, Oscar led her onward. A short, awkward walk later and Oscar's home could be seen at the top of a gentle slope.

The opulent mansion towered over the landscape. As they approached, the mansion got larger and larger, looming over them like a giant. Oscar strode past the gate and stepped onto the gray stone that formed the walkway to the lacquered wooden door. To his left was a small fishing pond and to his right was an enclosure with several slimes bouncing around. He turned to Ceres with a slight smile. "Well, we're home!"

As they continued up the path Ceres looked down at her own legs. "Pffft... I like my short legs thank you very much!" Ceres used her hands to illustrate her point, creating a small box shape with them - "Means I can fight in smaller spaces, and hide easier - also people assume I am way younger than I am. As a female - that's a good thing." Ceres said with a laugh.

The hand issue seemed to be a sore subject for him

Ceres stared at his back, trying to figure out what his problems were. If he had a partner, he'd say so right? Maybe he was gay? Or maybe he just wasn't very fond of physical touch. Ceres was curious, but she didn't press him on the matter. Ceres may have been a little socially inept, and forward. But she had some tact. Instead, she tried her best to cheer him up. "I'm not sure what the problem is...but usually when you tell someone not to worry - they only worry more." Ceres gave him a light tap on the back. "But since we just met I'll make an exception just this time - you got big broad shoulders... but that doesn't mean you can carry everything on your own."

They finally made it to his hou- no...

what?

To his mansion. "Oscar...." Ceres said as she covered her mouth with her hands. "This place is huge." She shifted past him and immediately went to the pond, peering into it to watch the small fish swim around - she adored sea life. "I didn't even know people could buy places like this." Ceres turned back to face Oscar.

"Uh...Oh...THank you for inviting me to your home."

@Oscar

"Yeah..." It was hard to be modest when his estate was literally the size of a small city block. He'd known Guild Halls that were smaller than this. Of course, it wasn't all sunshine and roses. While his house was certainly large, it was definitely too large for a single person. Oscar was considering renting out some rooms for up-and-coming crafters. There was absolutely no way that he would be able to use all of the available plots for himself, that much was for certain. Oscar watched as Ceres gazed at the fish swimming about in his pond. It was supposed to provide a bonus to his output when using the Fishing skill, but he'd long-since gotten rid of that. It was infinitely more efficient to just grind mobs for materials than it was to fish for them. After a beat, Oscar headed for front door, beckoning for Ceres to follow. After unlocking the door, he held it open and beckoned for Ceres to enter. "Ladies first."

Together, they stepped inside. They were greeted by a large chandelier flicking to life, casting light upon the foyer through crystal orbs. Directly in front of them was a large staircase that led up to the second floor. But Oscar's attention was drawn to the right. In the next room, there was a large table set in the middle of a dining room. Sixteen chairs surrounded the large mahogany surface. About ten more spaces than Oscar had friends, if he were being honest. Behind the table, set directly in front of the door to the kitchen was a bar that Oscar had set up. Lined with crystal decanters filled with amber liquid, it stood as a testament to Oscar's most recent pass time - whiskey brewing. It was less for getting drunk - because that was impossible in Aincrad. It was more about something to do.

"So, uh. What would you like to eat? Sky's the limit."

@Ceres

"Honestly...." Ceres said as she found her way to a seat at the table - carefully pulling it out as though the chair would break at the slightest touch. "If I lived here- I think I'd be really lonely." Ceres shook her head and held her hands up defensively when she immedietly realized that what she said could very well be insulting. "Not - not- that your home isn't lovely its just..." SHe paused as her lilac eyes drifted over the ceiling, looking at the little details in the molding in the corners - the lights...

"Very grand."

Even if Ceres had all the money in the world - she doubted she'd ever get something as lavish as this - small and cosy suited her just fine. Still.. she wasn't going to be rude to her guest. Finally sitting down in the chair  Ceres pushed herself in against the dining table. With all the empty seats either side of her - she felt very small.

"What would... I like to eat?" She wasn't expecting the question - she assumed he had something in mind - even so - there was something she always wanted to try. "A5 grade kobe beef." Ceres offered him a small smile, still tapping the table with her fingers. "That stuff is close to $500 a kilogram...I always wanted to try it but never got the chance - since its only really authentically available in well, kobe - is that too specific?" (Two pounds?) 

@Oscar

"A5 Kobe, huh?" 

Christ almighty, she really was going for something decadent. When he said the sky's the limit, he was hoping she'd remain within the atmosphere. Alas, Cere rocketed straight for the moon. While, theoretically, he could create as many steaks as he had materials, doing the beef justice would be the true challenge here. He imagined that even if he was a Grand Master Cook, he would struggle with it. But Oscar wasn't one to shy away from a challenge. He clapped his hands together and gave her a curt nod. "Alright, stay right here. I'll be done in a flash."

An hour later and his statement was proven to be nothing short of an optimistic lie. Just as he thought, he had theoretically infinite attempts. But after fourteen attempts at creating a dish with the ultra-premium meat, he was beginning to grow just a little annoyed. "Annoyed" here meaning that the floor of his kitchen were littered with shards of broken plates that he slammed to the ground in his near-constant fits of rage. He just couldn't get it right. Which was absolutely ridiculous because he knew his way around meat, beef in particular. Learning how to properly grill a steak was an essential life skill according to the Major. No effort had been wasted in teaching that to Oscar in his adolescence. So why was he having trouble now?

Then the light bulb went off above his head. His eureka moment was upon him. Oscar was simply psyching himself out. At the end of the day, the Kobe was just a steak. Incredibly high-quality, but a steak nonetheless. So he would treat it like one. He trimmed the fat from the steaks and placed it in the pan. He allowed the fat to render and lubricate the surface of the cooking tool. While that happened, he chopped some garlic and threw it into the pan to brown. Salt and pepper were applied to the steaks for taste and then into the pan the went. After a quick sear and the addition of some sage and thyme, the entire pan was then placed into the oven. While the meat finished cooking through, he made a small pot of seasoned rice and some grilled asparagus to accompany the meal. Minutes later, the food was plated and brought out to the dining area.

"That was a lot harder than I thought, but here you are," Oscar said, confidently. He didn't feel the need to affirm the quality of the meat. He was more than certain that it turned out well. Oscar then placed his own dish on the table and sat down opposite Ceres. He didn't dare take a bit until she gave the dish a sample.

@Ceres

"Ermm...." Ceres had heard the smashing of plates - on multiple occasions she had peered into his kitchen to see what was happening. It was taking quite a long time - and whilst shedidn't want to seem rude - coming to check on him seemed more polite than snooping around his house - scratch that...his mansion.

Now, after an hour she was sitting at the large table with him opposite her - he felt so far away. Ceres shifted uncomfortably. "I'm...sorry I should have asked for something easier like maybe tacos or uh...curry rice with potatoes..."

She looked down at the steak - "Thank you though." Picking up a steak knife and fork she went to cut into it - the knife sliced through it with ease, and hit the plate hard. Ceres flinched - knowing that was probably bad manners. "You can tell that's good qaulity marbling." Ceres said with a nervous laugh. "With A5 marbling - the fat is completely rendered into the steak." Ceres poked a fort into the meat and held it up to him. "Completely pink - with a thin streak of red...this is exactly how I like it."

The moment the meat hit her mouth it practically melted. The woman was virtually salivating. She gave a soft sight before dragging the plate closer to her. "Its...really good, really really good." She complimented. "You're going to ruin normal food for me, you know that Oscar?"

@Oscar

Edited by Ceres

"You're going to ruin normal food for me, you know that Oscar?"

Oscar took a bite of his meal, noting how his knife slid straight through the meat as if it were nothing. He mulled the steak around in his mouth a bit. After swallowing, he shook his head and chuckled. "You? I keep cooking like this and I might ruin normal food for myself." Oscar didn't have people over often. It was nice to enjoy a meal in the company of another person. Ceres had been wonderful company today, even if their initial interaction had been just a touch rocky. With everything going on, it was nice to make a new friend. Oscar quickly finished his food, setting his fork and knife down on the plate. "I had fun spending the day with you today, Ceres. We should definitely do it again sometime. If you ever need help with anything, don't hesitate to send me a message." To punctuate this, Oscar flicked through his menus and sent Ceres a friend request. This way, he'd be that much easier to contact.